The 2011-2012 "Let's Get Fit before OMM Class" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I started with the bar only back in the day. Protip: Slow and steady wins the race. Don't expect miracle gains in 2.5 months, but create a lifestyle out of it and you'll see benefits (both in your health and your physique) for the rest of your life.

The guys at the gym will only respect you if you keep coming back. No one's gonna say no when you need a spot. Something to work towards: BLOW THEM AWAY with your form, that's all I will say. Don't feel inadequate with your size; I was 130 at 6'0 when I started college and I filled out to 155 at <8% body fat.

Stick with Starting Strength. If you can master those compound lifts, you can literally work out in half the time everyone else does while seeing the same gains. Start intermittent fasting (see leangains.com) and eat clean. Use Myfitnesspal app on your phone to track your macronutrients (proteins/carbs/fats) at first so you get a general idea of what you're putting inside of you (that's what she said). Start taking a good multivitamin and omega-3 supplement. And ff you have money laying around, get a BCAA supplement (I use Extend) from bodybuilding.com.

Slow and steady, baby. No need to burn out in a month like those P90X bros*.

*disclaimer: P90X didn't work for me. The only way you're gonna make me do an hour and a half of yoga is if your name is Mrs ManBroDude and you bought me a hot yoga groupon and towel. (true story).

Members don't see this ad.

*disclaimer: P90X didn't work for me. The only way you're gonna make me do an hour and a half of yoga is if your name is Mrs ManBroDude and you bought me a hot yoga groupon and towel. (true story).

Lol, I tried p90x for a while but I skipped the yoga and the kenpo. If anything, p90x got me to move so kudos for that.

If anyone is looking for a good and easy protein shake recipe I recommend (As weird as it sounds) 1 Scoop of Vanilla Whey (Whatever brand you desire, I use Optimum Nutrition) and half a scoop of Lemon lime gatorade powder, shaken up with about 12 oz. of cold water. I also throw in some ice.

I also sometimes substitute orange gatorade powder, instead of the lemon lime, tastes like an orange julius. Good way to indulge and get your supplementation if you're on a diet. :thumbup:

I usually drink one right after a workout to take the edge off my hunger, keeping me from over eating haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't do starting strength, it has been proven to have many flaws and there are much better workouts to build muscle and lose fat. for losing fat, make sure you do not eat excessive calories and do cardio 2+ times a week, as for building muscle, I would recommend eating about 1.3 times your body weight in grams of protein. Protein shakes help a lot.

A really good guide to follow is kris gethin's 12 week program on bodybuilding.com. It will really transform you if you follow it.

don't do starting strength, it has been proven to have many flaws and there are much better workouts to build muscle and lose fat. for losing fat, make sure you do not eat excessive calories and do cardio 2+ times a week, as for building muscle, I would recommend eating about 1.3 times your body weight in grams of protein. Protein shakes help a lot.

A really good guide to follow is kris gethin's 12 week program on bodybuilding.com. It will really transform you if you follow it.

What flaws? I googled problems with starting strength and it only turned up good results from people.

Ok at first I thought you were making a jab at me since earlier I said I did about a month of p90x and then kinda quit. I was going to make a defensive comment like, "I didn't burn out, I just got real busy!"
Then I realized that you weren't making fun and that I would make a fool of myself by saying that so then I made this reply and...oh...

I was up really late last night catching up on Game of Thrones and when I looked up there was an infomercial for Tony Horton's 10-minute workout series.

Would anybody care to share their input on their experience with this program?

I'm currently doing P90X, so I saw that every move they advertised on the infomercial was from the P90X videos. Makes sense considering it is Tony Horton's program, but still... what's the scoop?

Any time you see something with GET _____ QUICK, run for your life.

Get fit quick, get slim quick, get rich quick, get abs quick, etc. Something with America's fascination with doing the absolute minimum amount of work for anything worthwhile.

I will say that some Crossfit workouts are 10 minutes or less (I can do Fran in <10 min).

Yeah I don't see how 10 minute workouts will get you anywhere. Supposedly it burns 250 calories, which I think they compared to 30 minutes on the treadmill. I guess that's why they want you to eventually do 3 10-minute workouts per day.The P90X Ab Ripper video is only 15 minutes, but it's a rough 15 minutes for me. I am no Abercrombie model.

I have a few friends that love Crossfit, but I haven't gotten into it myself. Do you do it regularly ManBroDude?

No, I don't. I lift weights 4x a week and eat clean. At this point I don't even do cardio though I've run a few half marathons in the past. I'm following the Leangains.com method (intermittent fasting).

The draw with Crossfit is that it's a group environment with a "coach" or trainer, which is huge if you don't have the motivation to stick with the gym week after week. The personal draw for me is that, like I said, you're done in under 20 minutes and it incorporates a lot of compound lifts and gymnastics stuff. Efficient workouts in med school sounds pretty much mandatory.

5'7", 205 lbs.

I'm trying to get back to around 170. I have a larger frame, and I was happy/in shape at 170. I have a lot of muscle from working in EMS for a few years. But now I want to get rid of that 'firehouse fit' shape (strong arms and legs but with a gut) and get the gut back in line. I'm going to read more of this thread after work today, but any advice would be great.

I try and eat pretty healthy, although I'm definitely not perfect. I'm looking for some advice in terms of diet plans and an exercise plan that won't be too high impact on my knees (I have a long history of pain there). Thanks, and I hope to look better by the time I move to AZ.

yea man, i started with the bar + 15 (75 lb total) on each side and felt pretty goofy. Everybody has to start somewhere. But if you follow the program, you'll be putting up respectable weight in no-time.

Thought I was the only one. I only have the bar and 20 pounds. On a good day I can put a 25lb plate and do two sets of 8.

Any tips for people like me who still can't lift much? :)

Well, that's what I started at 5 weeks ago. Now I'm doing bar + 70lbs each side (185 lbs total) for a squat and bar + 57.5 lbs each side (160 lbs total) for bench press. Still not where I want to be, but my progress is pleasing. My main downfall is my diet. I don't feel confident that I'm eating right.

Starting Strength program, 3 sets of 5 reps each, keep at it and protein it up. Increase weight every workout by a little bit and you will get gains. Obviously learn more about Starting Strength before you start since this is a very simplistic overview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that's what I started at 5 weeks ago. Now I'm doing bar + 70lbs each side (185 lbs total) for a squat and bar + 57.5 lbs each side (160 lbs total) for bench press. Still not where I want to be, but my progress is pleasing. My main downfall is my diet. I don't feel confident that I'm eating right.

Starting Strength program, 3 sets of 5 reps each, keep at it and protein it up. Increase weight every workout by a little bit and you will get gains. Obviously learn more about Starting Strength before you start since this is a very simplistic overview.

Are you really drinking a gallon of milk a day? Um I read that part and I was like WTF. I drink a gallon in a week no way I could finish off a jug in a day. lol.

Gallon of milk a day is wayyy too much fat, drink a couple of glasses a day at most. To help with the fat and cholesterol intake, eat fiber - ideally shoot for 20-30g a day.

I don't like 3x5 routine and I hate p90x.

4x8 is where I have always had my most success, raising the weight each set. Throw in supersets. I especially like supersetting with tri and ab workouts.

Bench press is the hardest to raise, ideally and realistically you should shoot to go up 5lbs every 2 weeks.

1g protein/lb of body weight is fine and more than enough. Unless you are a serious athlete or on prohormones/steroids 1.5g+ per pound of weight is useless and difficult to consume.

I put on 10 lbs in 6 weeks eating 1g per pound a day, sometimes even less and getting in ~3200 cals a day, which was a chore in itself.

I currently sit at 5' 10" 180lbs

Starting Strength's diet information is geared towards people looking to gain weight/gain strength as a primary goal. This part of the program is not even close to what it's bread and butter is. The important thing is the routine and information on form, most importantly.

It helps to have common sense; if you want to lose weight- eat less. If you want to gain weight- eat more. Lift heavy and big, eat big- get big. Lift light, eat light- get light. Durdurdur.

It helps to have common sense; if you want to lose weight- eat less. If you want to gain weight- eat more. Lift heavy and big, eat big- get big. Lift light, eat light- get light. Durdurdur.

Yeah, that's logical. It sucks though... I like lifting heavy weights... I used to lift a LOT. But now I'm trying to lose weight, so I have to cut the calories a lot, which means no muscle gains.

Which makes me want to ask... it makes sense to lift weights while doing cardio to avoid the "skinny fat" look, and to avoid losing much of the muscle mass naturally lost during weight loss. What kind of regiment do you guys suggest? I've never had to lose weight like this before, so while the weight loss logic makes perfect sense, I'm wondering if there's a way to enjoy the benefits of muscle gain while cutting calories.

I'd imagine alternating days of low calorie, high calorie intake, with cardio/weights being done on their respective days, right? Help a toytle out!

Yeah, that's logical. It sucks though... I like lifting heavy weights... I used to lift a LOT. But now I'm trying to lose weight, so I have to cut the calories a lot, which means no muscle gains.

Which makes me want to ask... it makes sense to lift weights while doing cardio to avoid the "skinny fat" look, and to avoid losing much of the muscle mass naturally lost during weight loss. What kind of regiment do you guys suggest? I've never had to lose weight like this before, so while the weight loss logic makes perfect sense, I'm wondering if there's a way to enjoy the benefits of muscle gain while cutting calories.

I'd imagine alternating days of low calorie, high calorie intake, with cardio/weights being done on their respective days, right? Help a toytle out!

I'm sorry my prior post was a little cynical- but lifting heavy while trying to lose weight is the best option for maintaining muscle mass. Where are you at strength wise now?

Cut your cals, and watch your carbs but keep your protein high still. Don't cut back on weight lifting intensity. I find the 4x8 routine with everything gives me nice size an definition. Any carbs you eat should be whole grain (or as much as possible)

Also, keep your high carb meals for after your workout. I'm not a fan of alternating high and low cal diets, I find cutting a little every day more efficient, and you don't have to starve haha

I'm sorry my prior post was a little cynical- but lifting heavy while trying to lose weight is the best option for maintaining muscle mass. Where are you at strength wise now?

No it wasn't cynical at all. I agree with what you said. It makes sense. :)

I used to bench 180. I've just been using the bowflex recently (not as difficult, but I don't have access to an actual bench press). At the least, I'm hoping to just maintain with it and give my pecs some sort of workout. I do it until fatigue.

I curl 30lbs, 10 reps of 3 sets. Then hammer curls. Then concentration curls.

That's about it, since my concern has mainly been on cardio than weight lifting. I set the incline to 10 on the treadmill, so I suppose that helps work the calves a bit.

Cut your cals, and watch your carbs but keep your protein high still. Don't cut back on weight lifting intensity. I find the 4x8 routine with everything gives me nice size an definition. Any carbs you eat should be whole grain (or as much as possible)

Also, keep your high carb meals for after your workout. I'm not a fan of alternating high and low cal diets, I find cutting a little every day more efficient, and you don't have to starve haha

Yeah this sounds good. I have a lot of protein each day (lots of chicken, whey protein... yum yum). Usually have a whey protein shake in skim milk after a workout

Most of the carbs I get each day probably come from fruit. I love fruit. Strawberries are amazing this time of year. But overall, I don't have too many carbs.

I used to bench 180. I've just been using the bowflex recently (not as difficult, but I don't have access to an actual bench press). At the least, I'm hoping to just maintain with it and give my pecs some sort of workout. I do it until fatigue.

That's about it, since my concern has mainly been on cardio than weight lifting. I set the incline to 10 on the treadmill, so I suppose that helps work the calves a bit.

Oh no, you're that guy, huh?
whip2.gif

Oh no, you're that guy, huh?
whip2.gif

LOLOL. No, I just wasn't sure how to answer the "where are you strength-wise now?" question without giving my sets/reps/weights.

I'm not obsessed with my glamour muscles. Not by a long-shot.

Good luck with your weight loss goals, everyone! For motivation, here is a picture of real DO: :)

ivan_rusilko_mister_usa_contestant.jpg

New Rules of Lifting sounds like a good idea for you. Or Starting Strength. Either way..you probably need a professional routine to build on because you're a beginner...

Check out the Men's Health Forums Weight Lifting section. Seems like a lot of Bro science here..but it is SDN.

Thought I was the only one. I only have the bar and 20 pounds. On a good day I can put a 25lb plate and do two sets of 8.

Any tips for people like me who still can't lift much? :)

Starting Strength.

No, I don't do the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) routine. I'm trying to lose weight while gaining strength as difficult as it is.

Not sure what you guys mean when you say "Starting Strength"

This? http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/products

Also, when you mention protein are you specifically talking about supplements? Or just foods high in protein?

Yes that is it. There's a book but I didn't buy it. I got a *cough* bootleg copy with videos *cough* on the intarwebs.

Protein: Both. Whey Protein/BCAAs for a shake pre/post workout, and foods naturally high in protein like chicken breast/steak/milk etc.

Yes that is it. There's a book but I didn't buy it. I got a *cough* bootleg copy with videos *cough* on the intarwebs.

Protein: Both. Whey Protein/BCAAs for a shake pre/post workout, and foods naturally high in protein like chicken breast/steak/milk etc.

Ok thanks. Never really been much into working out, but I'm starting to actually want to do it.

I've never been overweight (5'8" 145lbs) and somehow remain in pretty good shape, but I think getting healthier might be a good decision ;)

So i'm not quite following starting strength. I can only lift on tues and thurs due to schedule. I was wondering is it alright if I'm also playing about 2 hrs of basketball as my third day of working out? I want to keep my cardiovascular health at the same time improving my strength. Or does basketball just zap too much energy from my body?

Its kinda hard to play bball after lifting lol as well but not too bad. I seem to forget about the soreness once my adrenaline gets going. Opinions??

Getting bulked up and cut. Yesssssss

Main goal is trying to look good for the ladies in OMM, amiright??

I'm putting on muscle then going to cut fat before school starts. There are some bombshells in my class. So you are right

I'm putting on muscle then going to cut fat before school starts. There are some bombshells in my class. So you are right

How are you gonna cut, exactly? It's not easy.

How are you gonna cut, exactly? It's not easy.

I'm not putting on much if any bad weight now. I'm just going to cut the weight lifting down from strength training to more explosive lifts, up the cardio, and adjust the diet. Throw in a thermogenic and cut calories and carbs. This usually produces great results for me. I wrestled for 9 years so I'm used to the cutting and dieting process.

I'm not putting on much if any bad weight now. I'm just going to cut the weight lifting down from strength training to more explosive lifts, up the cardio, and adjust the diet. Throw in a thermogenic and cut calories and carbs. This usually produces great results for me. I wrestled for 9 years so I'm used to the cutting and dieting process.

LOL, so you definitely know the drill :D.

I had a room mate who made it to HS state championships for wrestling. Dude could lose 10 pounds in three days then down like 2 large papa johns pizzas in one sitting.

LOL, so you definitely know the drill :D.
god it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. lol i was an offensive tackle at 240 and wrestled at 215. had about a month and a half to drop. hell has nothing on a staircase with the heat cranked up to 110 and two sweatsuits on :mad:

Nutrient partitioners like slin-sane help prevent putting on fat as well by helping to shuttle glucose into muscle fibers, nice little addition to your thermogenic

I had a room mate who made it to HS state championships for wrestling. Dude could lose 10 pounds in three days then down like 2 large papa johns pizzas in one sitting.
I used to have it down to a science... I knew if I was over weight within a certain limit I would have to run X miles on my treadmill. The worst part was that we had Thursday dual meets and then have to turn around on Saturday to wrestle in tournaments... I was always sluggish on Saturdays.

I used to have it down to a science... I knew if I was over weight within a certain limit I would have to run X miles on my treadmill. The worst part was that we had Thursday dual meets and then have to turn around on Saturday to wrestle in tournaments... I was always sluggish on Saturdays.
loved the consecutive days rule in our state. you get an extra pound for every consecutive day you wrestle. wrestle on friday: normal. wrestle on saturday: +1 lb. wrestle on sunday: +2. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Started the p90x videos/diet plan today. Will see how that works for me.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Some of the best cardio.... Swimming. Swimming for an hour at least three times per week is a great way to get in shape for OMM... But you don't have to take my word for it....