The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
carp56: 3.51, 4.0, 27k

gpa has been helped a lot by aacomas

tmdsas has me at 3.31 and 3.5

mcat is unbalanced 11p10b6v don't know what happened on vr all practice
test 8+

8 yr exp as emt in the Army

4yr exp in cardiac cath lab

acls instructor

most volunteering and leadership is all through the Army

degree and final pre reqs will be finished next spring 44 more hrs

applying to ATS-SOMA, AZCOM, RVUSOM, OSUCOM, PCOM-GA, LECOM-B, NOVA, TCOM and TX MD TTHSC, TTPLFSOM, TAMHSC, Houston, Galveston

First of all, are those even real schools? Who the hell has that many words in a school name?!

Second, you should be a competitive applicant but you are not because of ONE little thing. Your verbal score. That 6 will get your red flagged at almost all places you apply to. However, you have exceptional experience through being an EMT so maybe by some miracle adcoms will oversee that 6. Is there anyway you can retake the MCAT?? You just need a 7 or 8, a 6 is too low:(

If you retook MCAT and did better on verbal, you would be unstoppable

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

My sgpa is 3.24 and my cgpa is 3.56. I got a 24Q on the MCAT with a 9b 9v and 6p.

I'm really concerned about the 6 on physical science. Should I retake?

I am currently ending my tenure as a Teach for America teacher and am planning to shadow a DO throughout the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

My sgpa is 3.24 and my cgpa is 3.56. I got a 24Q on the MCAT with a 9b 9v and 6p.

I'm really concerned about the 6 on physical science. Should I retake?

I am currently ending my tenure as a Teach for America teacher and am planning to shadow a DO throughout the summer.

I applied late this year, but I am wait listed at 2 schools with a 3.7 gpa and a 25 M mcat 9 V 9 B 7 P. I am also a practicing dentist of 9 years. If you are not planning on retaking the mcat then the best you can do is apply early.

Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Public Health
+ Certificate in Business Essentials (4 business classes)

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.52

MCAT: 22M
PS: 9
V: 5 (ekk...i know...but trust me...i can read!....even though the score doesnt seem to show that! :oops: )
BS: 8

applying to DO schools on the East Coast.

I applied late this year, but I am wait listed at 2 schools with a 3.7 gpa and a 25 M mcat 9 V 9 B 7 P. I am also a practicing dentist of 9 years. If you are not planning on retaking the mcat then the best you can do is apply early.

I'm not throwing in the towel for you quite yet for this cycle. Remember to send update letters / LOI's (I'm sure you are) every 2/3 weeks. Hopefully you can sway someone to bump you up. Whatever it takes. I'm pulling for you.:xf:

Mine is: 3.72, 3.76, 21P

Watca guys think? I am applying early, you think I will get an interview.

MCAT retake into the mid/high 20's would be fantastic. Are you considering retaking? With a 3.7 you ARE capable of picking up your Biological Sciences and Physical Sciences sections (at the very least). The odds are probably pretty grim with a 21 (7,7,7?).

Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Public Health
+ Certificate in Business Essentials (4 business classes)

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.52

MCAT: 22M
PS: 9
V: 5 (ekk...i know...but trust me...i can read!....even though the score doesnt seem to show that! :oops: )
BS: 8

applying to DO schools on the East Coast.

That 5 could be a killer. Are you planning on retaking? Maybe picking up EK 101 verbal passages and just going to town on them? I know the essay is pretty useless, but with a 5V and an M it may be a red flag.

I'm not throwing in the towel for you quite yet for this cycle. Remember to send update letters / LOI's (I'm sure you are) every 2/3 weeks. Hopefully you can sway someone to bump you up. Whatever it takes. I'm pulling for you.:xf:

I just caught this, sending update letters every two to three weeks? Is this reasonable? Just asking lol

That 5 could be a killer. Are you planning on retaking? Maybe picking up EK 101 verbal passages and just going to town on them? I know the essay is pretty useless, but with a 5V and an M it may be a red flag.

yeah i never practiced the essay writing...but i thought i did well. a M and a low verbal does look bad.

i am planning to retake june 16th. i found a verbal strategy that has worked for me (reading the passages word by word very slowly....however this gets me done 6/7 passages unfortunately). yet this method has given me anywhere from a 7-9 consistently. (ok thats not REALLY consistent...but better than a 5 or 6.)

i just cant let my guard down for PS and BS.

im an looking to get an 8 on verbal. and hopefully stay within that 8/9 range for PS and BS.

oh btw i have picked up EK 101 verbal. they are quite difficult and i find the questions unclear. i am practicing using AAMC's test. their question types are more clear (easier?) to me.

Last edited:
I think that I am going to retake it, but I wouldn't be able to until late July. Should I go ahead and send out my app early saying that I am retaking it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that I am going to retake it, but I wouldn't be able to until late July. Should I go ahead and send out my app early saying that I am retaking it?

Yes, this is exactly what I did when I applied, and I even received interview invites BEFORE my 2nd MCAT score results came in. I didnt' take it until early August actually.

Some schools will put your app on hold right away until u update with your new scores, it really depends on the school but definitely apply right away and have your secondaries and everything in as soon as you can, so that when your new scores come in, that will be the only thing they need for u to be complete

Thanks! I did update both schools recently. At least I'm in a better position to go having sold my dental practice to my partners. I'll keep updating without trying to annoy!:D

According to aacomas:

sgpa: 3.37
cgpa: 3.57
non sci gpa: 3.68
Mcat: 26Q (8 ps, 8 vr, 10 bs)

Do I have a good chance of getting accepted into DO schools? I really do not want to retake the mcat. I have not shadowed a DO and I'm not sure if my rec letters are strong b/c one of my letters is a college advisor. I basically had to ask my college advisor to write me one b/c one of my profs didn't write me one...even though he agreed to it at first. I don't have extensive research exp, but I am currently working in a mental health practice (2 psychiatrists, 5 psychologists, and 5 therapists). I will ask the psychiatrist I work for to write me a letter. I'm sure he won't decline.

According to aacomas:

Do I have a good chance of getting accepted into DO schools? I really do not want to retake the mcat. I have not shadowed a DO and I'm not sure if my rec letters are strong b/c one of my letters is a college advisor. I basically had to ask my college advisor to write me one b/c one of my profs didn't write me one...even though he agreed to it at first. I don't have extensive research exp, but I am currently working in a mental health practice (2 psychiatrists, 5 psychologists, and 5 therapists). I will ask the psychiatrist I work for to write me a letter. I'm sure he won't decline.

Keep working there, rack up some clinical hours. Find a DO to shadow, preferably primary care, and get a letter. Even though your MCAT is fairly low, it's relatively balanced with nothing sitting at a 7 or below. You're actually sitting at, or slightly above, average for your cGPA and sGPA for DO schools. When you find the DO to shadow, send an update to the schools. Then update them when the letter comes in. Also be sure to get that letter from the psychiatrist you work for. Apply broadly ASAP and enjoy the interview trail. :)

Good luck to all this year. I don't have the free time I once did to browse these forums and that time will be even more significantly cut back in 2 weeks when I go travel abroad and then head to start school but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. I can't promise an immediate response but I'll try to get back as soon as I can.

According to aacomas:

i think you have a great chance this year. shadow a DO, apply smart and early and i think you should be ok.

cGPA: 3.37
sGPA: 2.97
MCAT: 27Q

I have a lot of extracurricular activities from undergrad and a lot of leadership experience. Quite a few hours shadowing a DO. Do I have a chance for this round? I applied early (already submitted AACOMAS), and I'm taking a lot of upper level bio classes next semester trying to bring up my sGPA.

I am worried about a class retake, I got a D the first time I took the class and I ended up with a C in the retake, I worked really hard in the class, but I just never tested will. I have a 3.39 sGPA, and a 3.6 cGPA, and I am anticipating a 35 on the MCAT based on my practice MCAT score. I realize that I will have to explain this during interviews, but do you think this will keep me from getting into medical school.

I am worried about a class retake, I got a D the first time I took the class and I ended up with a C in the retake, I worked really hard in the class, but I just never tested will. I have a 3.39 sGPA, and a 3.6 cGPA, and I am anticipating a 35 on the MCAT based on my practice MCAT score. I realize that I will have to explain this during interviews, but do you think this will keep me from getting into medical school.

Nope. A lot of people get in with C's on their transcripts, even in prereq courses. Your numbers are fine, assuming you don't drop below a 25 on your MCAT, but from what you say that gives you a 10 point gap to work with. Good luck!

Nope. A lot of people get in with C's on their transcripts, even in prereq courses. Your numbers are fine, assuming you don't drop below a 25 on your MCAT, but from what you say that gives you a 10 point gap to work with. Good luck!
Thanks, I had a couple of repeats, it is the only C on my transcript other than Vector Calc, and I had a rough time in undergrad, with my older sister being diagnosed with cancer, and then she died during my Junior year, it kind of threw off my studies.

Thanks, I had a couple of repeats, it is the only C on my transcript other than Vector Calc, and I had a rough time in undergrad, with my older sister being diagnosed with cancer, and then she died during my Junior year, it kind of threw off my studies.

Sorry to hear about that man... I'm sure it's made you want to pursue medicine even more though. Stay strong, and keep working hard!

1st time poster...3.44 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa. My undergrad sgpa was only 3.04, but I did a 24 unit post-bacc program and got a 3.68 sgpa. I got some C's in upper div bio and all C+ for O-chem in undergrad. I got A's/ B+ in those classes for the post-bacc but the units are not the same so they don't count as replacements. Undergrad gpa was affected by health problems.

My MCAT was a 28O: 10V, 11Bio, 7ps. I'm thinking that 7 in ps is my biggest problem?

My EC's include trips to volunteer Africa and Honduras, occupational therapy internship (in a hospital) 40 hours, Autism internship (80 hours), Cerebral Palsy study (40 hours), and tons of volunteering/leadership at church. I currently work with children with autism. I have made contact with a D.O. and will be shoadowing her, but I don't know how many hours...possibly as little as 8-10 hours?

I'm finished with my application but have not submitted it, will submit this weekend. I just ordered my transcripts and sent my MCAT score, so that will probably take awhile to verify.

Do I sound like an underdog due to my undergrad sgpa and low PS MCAT score (7)? I'm thinking Touro CA and NV, Western, LECOM, but applying VERY broadly...

Thanks for reading!

Hi I have a cumulative of 3.27 and a sGPA of 3.31 also. My first semester was the worst where I had a 2.48 but my mom and stepdad were going through a divorce so that made things a bit harder. I don't know if I should mention that somewhere in my application or not. My gpa for the next semester was 3.7. And every one after that was in the 3.15-3.3 range up until my last semester where I got a 3.5. So somewhat of an upward trend I guess. I haven't received my MCAT score yet but i was getting between 28-30 on the practices and I'm hoping I pulled out a 32.

My EC's, I have three summers of lab experience and a publication. I have volunteered a summer at the ER for about 70 hours, I have 3 months volunteering at a elderly day care center for about two hours a week, I volunteer coached a 3rd/4th grade soccer team this past spring, I was a fundraising leader for my school's FIMRC (Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children), I have run the marathon through the Children's Memorial Hospital Charity Foundation, I have tutored children and adults this past summer and also will this summer, and I also went on a two week medical volunteer trip to Uganda through FIMRC.

I know my gpa is low for MD schools and a little low for DO schools, but I was wondering which MD and DO schools I could realistically look into applying with a 32 MCAT, and if I somehow pulled off a 35 which ones I could look into then. My mom's a single parent who raised four kids who also went through 2 divorces, and she gets food stamps and I was wondering if that would have any bearing on my chances.

So I was wondering which DO schools i should apply to? I will only have a MD letter unless I find a DO to write me one really soo.

my cgpa is 3.16 sgpa is 3.1 and gotta 25N.

I applied to Albert Einstein, BU, Tufts, Florida State, Michigan, Howard, Meharry, Rosalind Franklin and SUNY upstate for MD schools. For DO schools, I applied to AT still University (Both campuses), Arizona COM, Chigaco COM, Des Moines COM, Lake Erie(Both), Lincoln, Michigan State, NYIT, NOVA, Ohio, Pacific Northwest, Philadelphia COM, Pikeville, Rocky Vista, all three touros, New Jersey School of OM, New England COM, West Virginia, Western U (both) and William Carey.
My extracurricular profile is a bit better. Some stuff: I was an RA for 2 yrs, got 6 mos research experience, went to New Orleans for rebuilding help, shadowed MD for 100+ hours with strong LOR, was awarded 2 leadership honors at graduation and made the deans list my senior year - I had high grades mysenior year (improvement). currently I work in special education.

im just looking for some advice at this point.. i hope to hear from u guys soon!! :)

also, when are we supposed to be hearing back from secondaries? are we gonna get emailed or do i need to keep checking aacomas/amcas

thnx ;)

Updated front page. We are getting a good range of scores and situations!

Hello All,

Great to see that we have a pretty good turn-out so far this year!

I will be the one making the spreadsheet and I will start in a few days. I am also an underdog with a 3.2 (overall), 3.1 (science), and 28O.

Good luck everyone, and thank you djack for taking the initiative to get this year's thread started!

Out of curiosity, as a California resident what do you all think are the best DO schools to apply to?

Out of curiosity, as a California resident what do you all think are the best DO schools to apply to?

Everywhere out of CA ;) haha jk I know Touro-NV and Azcom seem to have a lot of Californians, and of course Western and Touro-CA.

my cgpa is 3.16 sgpa is 3.1 and gotta 25N.

I applied to Albert Einstein, BU, Tufts, Florida State, Michigan, Howard, Meharry, Rosalind Franklin and SUNY upstate for MD schools. For DO schools, I applied to AT still University (Both campuses), Arizona COM, Chigaco COM, Des Moines COM, Lake Erie(Both), Lincoln, Michigan State, NYIT, NOVA, Ohio, Pacific Northwest, Philadelphia COM, Pikeville, Rocky Vista, all three touros, New Jersey School of OM, New England COM, West Virginia, Western U (both) and William Carey.
My extracurricular profile is a bit better. Some stuff: I was an RA for 2 yrs, got 6 mos research experience, went to New Orleans for rebuilding help, shadowed MD for 100+ hours with strong LOR, was awarded 2 leadership honors at graduation and made the deans list my senior year - I had high grades mysenior year (improvement). currently I work in special education.

im just looking for some advice at this point.. i hope to hear from u guys soon!! :)

also, when are we supposed to be hearing back from secondaries? are we gonna get emailed or do i need to keep checking aacomas/amcas

thnx ;)
i think with your stats you have a smaller chance than the average applicant but there is a chance. Your mcat is almost average for certain DO schools so first I would work on increasing your GPA and worry about the mcat later(if it comes to that and you are unsuccesfull this year). I would not send in the secondaries to any of the MD schools you applied too, dont take this the wrong way but i think your stats are way too low for MD schools. You didnt designate whether you were URM or not but unless you were African American I don't see why you would apply to meharry or howard. you get secondaries via email and you mostly send them back via email, there are a few schools which require you to print them out and send them via paper.

on the bright side, despite your low gpa, average mcat your extracurriculars are very good. good luck, im pulling for you.

3.1cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 32O MCAT, whats worse is that I'm a Canadian applicant

Good ECs though, shadowed a DO, shadowed an MD, 1200 hours of volunteering at community centre

Applying to 14 schools, application fees are killing me

tpsych
AMCAS cGPA 3.07 sGPA 3.62
ACOMAS cGPA 3.21 sGPA 3.82
MCAT 29Q V8B10P11

Just finished a 2 year post bac with a 3.98.

My freshman year 13 years ago is what hurt my GPA. 1.4 with 3 F's.
31 year old non-traditional student. I have all the EC's you could want including volunteering, research and clinical. Plus life experience as a professional golfer and corporate sales.

Submitted applications to AMCAS and ACOMAS 6/1/2011. Applied to 14 MD and 17 DO. I went really broad! I WILL GET IN THIS CYCLE!!!

Power of positive thinking.

Best of luck to all my fellow underdogs

Okay so I submitted my primary application this morning. Here are my underdog stats:

sGPA: 3.93
cGPA: 3.03
MCAT: 24Q (8PS, 6VR, 10BS)

-Non-traditional student. Worked in business that required the daily working with clients and training of junior employees. 26 years old now.
-Bachelor's Degree in Biology and Business
-Past two years of school were all "A" marks in sciences
-Undergraduate research student in microbiology. Great experience here and the professor that ran the lab was the dean.
~150 hours shadowing a physician
-Volunteer in hospital and soup kitchen ~150 hours each
(Also listed some other extracurricular like music and non-university affiliated sports)

**I'm up in the air about retaking the MCAT. No good dates until the end of July and I dont' want to risk lowering my sciences to increase my verbal. This decision isn't set in stone at this point. Open to suggestions?

Schools applied to:
ATSU- Kirk.
ATSU - AZ
AZCOM
CCOM
VCOM- VA campus
GA-PCOM
PCOM
KCUMB
LECOM-Bradenton
LECOM-Erie/Seton
LMU-DCOM
NYCOM
NSU-COM
OUCOM
Pikeville
RVU-COM
Touro- NY, CA, and NV
WVUSOM
Western - Leb and Pom
William Carey

**Good thing I have some time off to write secondaries.....good God.

tpsych
AMCAS cGPA 3.07 sGPA 3.62
ACOMAS cGPA 3.21 sGPA 3.82
MCAT 29Q V8B10P11

Just finished a 2 year post bac with a 3.98.

My freshman year 13 years ago is what hurt my GPA. 1.4 with 3 F's.
31 year old non-traditional student. I have all the EC's you could want including volunteering, research and clinical. Plus life experience as a professional golfer and corporate sales.

Submitted applications to AMCAS and ACOMAS 6/1/2011. Applied to 14 MD and 17 DO. I went really broad! I WILL GET IN THIS CYCLE!!!

Power of positive thinking.

Best of luck to all my fellow underdogs
youll get in. i really don't think your an underdog buy any standards with that mcat and sgpa. youll do just fine. good luck
Okay so I submitted my primary application this morning. Here are my underdog stats:

sGPA: 3.93
cGPA: 3.03
MCAT: 24Q (8PS, 6VR, 10BS)

-Non-traditional student. Worked in business that required the daily working with clients and training of junior employees. 26 years old now.
-Bachelor's Degree in Biology and Business
-Past two years of school were all "A" marks in sciences
-Undergraduate research student in microbiology. Great experience here and the professor that ran the lab was the dean.
~150 hours shadowing a physician
-Volunteer in hospital and soup kitchen ~150 hours each
(Also listed some other extracurricular like music and non-university affiliated sports)

**I'm up in the air about retaking the MCAT. No good dates until the end of July and I dont' want to risk lowering my sciences to increase my verbal. This decision isn't set in stone at this point. Open to suggestions?

Schools applied to:
ATSU- Kirk.
ATSU - AZ
AZCOM
CCOM
VCOM- VA campus
GA-PCOM
PCOM
KCUMB
LECOM-Bradenton
LECOM-Erie/Seton
LMU-DCOM
NYCOM
NSU-COM
OUCOM
Pikeville
RVU-COM
Touro- NY, CA, and NV
WVUSOM
Western - Leb and Pom
William Carey

**Good thing I have some time off to write secondaries.....good God.
where are you from? are you from the south? wcu only sends secondaries to people in their state or region. PCSOM is very regional specific. with that sgpa and mcat score i think youll be ok. you should get in somewhere. i wish i had that science gpa. i think you stand a good chance man. good luck.

where are you from? are you from the south? wcu only sends secondaries to people in their state or region. PCSOM is very regional specific. with that sgpa and mcat score i think youll be ok. you should get in somewhere. i wish i had that science gpa. i think you stand a good chance man. good luck.[/QUOTE]

I am from mid-East coast. Yeah, I have heard that WCU and PCSOM are regionally biased. I was hoping that they would recognize my desires to work in an underserved area (which is in my primary) and perhaps consider to take a look at me on a secondary. I guess I might not hear from them, but we'll see. I'll definitely update for sure. I'm definitely concerned about my MCAT and am considering ordering some verbal practice and taking it again in July. Unfortunately, it was a lower VR score than I had on the practice tests. I guess I just dropped the ball. I'm just concerned about getting a lower score in the Bio or PS by some chance...I guess that's a risk I'd have to be willing to take to increase the VR score. The other thing that bothers me is that the only dates to take the test again are in late July and I wouldn't get scores back until Aug 30th.

Anyhow, thanks for your word of good luck. Much appreciated and I wish you the same.

where are you from? are you from the south? wcu only sends secondaries to people in their state or region. PCSOM is very regional specific. with that sgpa and mcat score i think youll be ok. you should get in somewhere. i wish i had that science gpa. i think you stand a good chance man. good luck.

I am from mid-East coast. Yeah, I have heard that WCU and PCSOM are regionally biased. I was hoping that they would recognize my desires to work in an underserved area (which is in my primary) and perhaps consider to take a look at me on a secondary. I guess I might not hear from them, but we'll see. I'll definitely update for sure. I'm definitely concerned about my MCAT and am considering ordering some verbal practice and taking it again in July. Unfortunately, it was a lower VR score than I had on the practice tests. I guess I just dropped the ball. I'm just concerned about getting a lower score in the Bio or PS by some chance...I guess that's a risk I'd have to be willing to take to increase the VR score. The other thing that bothers me is that the only dates to take the test again are in late July and I wouldn't get scores back until Aug 30th.

Anyhow, thanks for your word of good luck. Much appreciated and I wish you the same.[/QUOTE]
maybe youll hear from them, you never know. i was from NJ and didnt hear a peep but you bieng from the mid east coast could be a possibilitiy. i understand that the 6 in vr is bothering you. i had a 7 so i can understand your anger lol. i would make sure you look up schools that dont screen for mcat minimums. for instance pcom doesnt take anything less than an 8 in any section. unecom nothing less than a 6 and so on. just so your not wasting any money ya know. this process is friggin expensive. over all though. people do get in ith a 24 and with your sgpa you stand a decent chance. cheers

TMDSAS
2.33 cGPA, 2.51 sGPA, 26Q (9 PS 9 VR 8 BS)

I've kept it quiet but since my last 60 hours are a solid 3.5+, A's and B's in all of my pre-reqs, i'll share. All I can do is hope the adcom who reads my app takes a look for him/herself. EC's include 4 years of military service, years of volunteering, and 1 year research. One of my letters came from a residency program attending.

Basically, i have a pre-military and post military gpa. I know they aren't counted like that, and my mcat is luke warm, but it is what it is.

My essays in a nutshell? I was a confused kid 10 years ago and had two drug addict parents who hated each other, then i joined the military and saw what education does for people. Since then, i've aced about every other class.

If I have to do a post-bacc program or wait to use fresh start, so be it. I'm already all-in for this.

Last edited:
TMDSAS

I've kept it quiet but since my last 60 hours are a solid 3.5+, A's and B's in all of my pre-reqs, i'll share. All I can do is hope the adcom who reads my app takes a look for him/herself. EC's include 4 years of military service, years of volunteering, and 1 year research. One of my letters came from a residency program attending.

Basically, i have a pre-military and post military gpa. I know they aren't counted like that, and my mcat is luke warm, but it is what it is.

My essays in a nutshell? I was a confused kid 10 years ago and had two drug addict parents who hated each other, then i joined the military and saw what education does for people. Since then, i've aced about every other class.

If I have to do a post-bacc program or wait to use fresh start, so be it. I'm already all-in for this.

I think if you communicated in your essay what you communicated here, you will do just fine. Can't wait to hear which schools you get into :)

i think with your stats you have a smaller chance than the average applicant but there is a chance. Your mcat is almost average for certain DO schools so first I would work on increasing your GPA and worry about the mcat later(if it comes to that and you are unsuccesfull this year). I would not send in the secondaries to any of the MD schools you applied too, dont take this the wrong way but i think your stats are way too low for MD schools. You didnt designate whether you were URM or not but unless you were African American I don't see why you would apply to meharry or howard. you get secondaries via email and you mostly send them back via email, there are a few schools which require you to print them out and send them via paper.

on the bright side, despite your low gpa, average mcat your extracurriculars are very good. good luck, im pulling for you.
so we should hear back for secondaries in the next couple of weeks? i am not african american but applied to those schools cuz i figured it was worth the shot :/ ha... i keep checking my emails dont know what to expect.. all i know is that im gonna be real busy with secondaries!!

so we should hear back for secondaries in the next couple of weeks? i am not african american but applied to those schools cuz i figured it was worth the shot :/ ha... i keep checking my emails dont know what to expect.. all i know is that im gonna be real busy with secondaries!!

My PI wanted me to apply to Meharry because he went there. I'm not African American either. I figure if it were taboo to apply there he wouldn't have suggested it.

That MCAT score is low. Retake if possible.

Agreed. Even if you get slightly above that, it would improve your chances tremendously and maybe show that you're not just going to give up after one shot.

TMDSAS

As mentioned above, if you conveyed this in your essays, I hope somebody will give you a shot. Pulling for you! Thanks for your service!

As mentioned above, if you conveyed this in your essays, I hope somebody will give you a shot. Pulling for you! Thanks for your service!
thanks guys, i appreciate it. It took me at least 5 months to write my essays well enough to submit. I'm being totally realistic this cycle though and not deluding myself. It's silly but i'd like to be that one outlier on an admission stats spreadsheet that makes people say "how the...."

3.18 cGPA, 3.3+ sGPA. Working in the healthcare field for 5+ years. No volunteering. I signed up for mid August mcat. Is that too late? What minimum mcat score should I shoot for?

ksmajmudar - 3.26 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, 32Q

cancer research, pharmacology research , leadership/philanthropy (philanthropy chair), shadowing an ER director, shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, 3.9's both semesters senior year with heavy science courseloads, played at Carnegie and Avery Fischer Halls (random I know, haha).

Here's to hoping that it's good enough! Putting the finishing touches on my personal statement, I'll pull the trigger sometime this weekend!

Good luck to all the other underdogs! I'm rooting for us all...we can do it!!

ksmajmudar - 3.26 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, 32Q

cancer research, pharmacology research , leadership/philanthropy (philanthropy chair), shadowing an ER director, shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, 3.9's both semesters senior year with heavy science courseloads, played at Carnegie and Avery Fischer Halls (random I know, haha).

Here's to hoping that it's good enough! Putting the finishing touches on my personal statement, I'll pull the trigger sometime this weekend!

Good luck to all the other underdogs! I'm rooting for us all...we can do it!!

With that MCAT, I don't really think you are much of an underdog. As long as you apply early and broadly if possible, I think you will definitely be fine :thumbup: