The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok ladies and gents, now I am in need of some advice.

I took the MCAT in April and scored a 21. (7P, 9V, 5B). The 5 is killer and I'm not sure why I scored that low.

I signed up a while ago for the July 29th test, which is 6 weeks away. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to study as much as I would like for it yet. I think I will be able to more soon, though. So, a couple questions...

1.) Should I reschedule until mid-late August so I can give myself a few extra weeks? I wanted July because by the time my scores are released, I would still be complete fairly early in the cycle.
2.) What advice do you have for bringing up my Bio score?

*note: My AACOMAS app is done and is processing. I already indicated on there that I will be retaking the test. My cGPA is 3.37 and sGPA is 3.03. All other parts of my app are very strong.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT in April and scored a 21. (7P, 9V, 5B). The 5 is killer and I'm not sure why I scored that low.

I signed up a while ago for the July 29th test, which is 6 weeks away. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to study as much as I would like for it yet. I think I will be able to more soon, though. So, a couple questions...

1.) Should I reschedule until mid-late August so I can give myself a few extra weeks? I wanted July because by the time my scores are released, I would still be complete fairly early in the cycle.

*note: My AACOMAS app is done and is processing. I already indicated on there that I will be retaking the test. My cGPA is 3.37 and sGPA is 3.03. All other parts of my app are very strong.

1.) Well, since all other parts of your application are strong, I don't see why you shouldn't reschedule the test. Did you have a hard time with the biological and physical science portions of the test?

2.) I just read through the biology review from Princeton Review and I think that helped.

What material are you using for your MCAT study and what were you averaging on your practice exams for the bio section?

Members don't see this ad :)

For the Bio section, I would wake up at 6 am and sit down with a cup of tea or coffee, and read until 9 a.m. Eat breakfast, grab some more tea, answer practice questions until lunch. Take a few hours break, glance over flash cards during your break (e.g. if you wanna watch T.V., read flashcards during commercial). Then I would write an outline of what I did down from memory, trying to write as many facts as I could. Anything that you know you covered but you can't remember, re-read it, and then write it down from memory.

Every other day, take a full practice section. Guaranteed, you'll raise up a few points if you do this for 2 weeks. (Bio section is about covering as much material as possible, and dealing with every possible topic before test day. Do not skip over ANYTHING.)

Additionally, I found that waking up early was good, because no one else will be awake then, and you won't have anything else to do except study.

I used these study habits for 4 weeks straight (I know I should have studied for the MCAT longer =/ ) and raised up from a 24 average to a 38 average on the practice tests. Granted, I didn't get a 38 on the MCAT, but you see what I mean.

a 9 on verbal, but a 5 on BS? weird. the hardest thing for BS for me was that it was basically a verbal section on steroids, and i was already fatigued from the actual verbal section :laugh:.

with a 5 though i'd say you're missing a lot of knowledge and you're getting fatigued.

for overall improvement on your next test i'd say memorize every formula that is tested on PS. that will probably give you at least an 8 the next time you take it. as for the BS section just do as many BS passages as possible. EK Bio and BR are your best bets. i don't know what practice tests you used but the most similar practice tests to the real deal are the BR tests. so i recommend you ponying up the cash for at least 5 of their practice tests.

good luck.

What are my chances as a Canandian applicant with 3.0sGPA, 3.1cGPA, 32O MCAT? ECs include shadowing both MD and DO doctors, 1200 hours of volunteering at community center, hospital volunteering.

1.) Well, since all other parts of your application are strong, I don't see why you shouldn't reschedule the test. Did you have a hard time with the biological and physical science portions of the test?

PS was ok; I scored a 7. On practice tests for PS I scored a 7 or 8 everytime.

2.) I just read through the biology review from Princeton Review and I think that helped.

I will check it out! :thumbup:

What material are you using for your MCAT study and what were you averaging on your practice exams for the bio section?

I took a Kaplan online course, but the timing I chose was awful. I had 18 semester hours (mostly challenging courses) in addition to the 3 hour Kaplan course. So I still have and use all of their materials.

My average for Bio was always the lowest of my 3 sections. I never scored as low as a 5, but I was always getting a 6 or 7. PS was always 7 or 8 and VR was always a 9 or 10.

For the Bio section, I would wake up at 6 am and sit down with a cup of tea or coffee, and read until 9 a.m. Eat breakfast, grab some more tea, answer practice questions until lunch. Take a few hours break, glance over flash cards during your break (e.g. if you wanna watch T.V., read flashcards during commercial). Then I would write an outline of what I did down from memory, trying to write as many facts as I could. Anything that you know you covered but you can't remember, re-read it, and then write it down from memory.

Every other day, take a full practice section. Guaranteed, you'll raise up a few points if you do this for 2 weeks. (Bio section is about covering as much material as possible, and dealing with every possible topic before test day. Do not skip over ANYTHING.)

Additionally, I found that waking up early was good, because no one else will be awake then, and you won't have anything else to do except study.

I used these study habits for 4 weeks straight (I know I should have studied for the MCAT longer =/ ) and raised up from a 24 average to a 38 average on the practice tests. Granted, I didn't get a 38 on the MCAT, but you see what I mean.

24 to 38 average over 4 weeks? That is insane. Nice! Those are really good tips man.

a 9 on verbal, but a 5 on BS? weird. the hardest thing for BS for me was that it was basically a verbal section on steroids, and i was already fatigued from the actual verbal section :laugh:.

with a 5 though i'd say you're missing a lot of knowledge and you're getting fatigued.

for overall improvement on your next test i'd say memorize every formula that is tested on PS. that will probably give you at least an 8 the next time you take it. as for the BS section just do as many BS passages as possible. EK Bio and BR are your best bets. i don't know what practice tests you used but the most similar practice tests to the real deal are the BR tests. so i recommend you ponying up the cash for at least 5 of their practice tests.

good luck.

I think fatigue was a part of it. I also think part of my problem is the way I approach the passage. Just like you said, it is a VR section on steroids. I too often tried to answer the question from memory instead of looking within the passage to lead me to the correct answer.

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

What are my chances as a Canandian applicant with 3.0sGPA, 3.1cGPA, 32O MCAT? ECs include shadowing both MD and DO doctors, 1200 hours of volunteering at community center, hospital volunteering.

I don't have too much of an idea how being a Canadian applicant will effect you (I know it won't help :( ), but I wouldn't be surprised if some schools look at you for that MCAT score. Can you retake any classes?

I would aim for a 25 or 26 if possible. Or a 45. But in all honesty, you need to get to the mid-20's to be competetive. Good luck! If you get a good score I would trade you :D

I don't have too much of an idea how being a Canadian applicant will effect you (I know it won't help :( ), but I wouldn't be surprised if some schools look at you for that MCAT score. Can you retake any classes?

I would aim for a 25 or 26 if possible. Or a 45. But in all honesty, you need to get to the mid-20's to be competetive. Good luck! If you get a good score I would trade you :D
What? I saw you had a low score in the mcat... Wish you you do well on your retake...My advice to you is to do a lot of practice tests and questions. Using BR and EK 101 series would help. I think you will do good next time... Good luck

Last edited:
i have a 3.12 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA, I brought it up significantly from around a 2.4 last year. I got a 32P on my MCAT and I graduate next summer and I was wondering what are my chances for MSU-COM, LECOM-Erie, OU-COM. MSU-Com is my number one choice. Also I have one semester of organic chemistry research, 1 year of volunteer work, 3 MD references, 1 DO reference, I run a free health clinic in my area, and I have a reference from my Gross Anatomy/Physio professor.

Im thinking I can still bring both my science and cum. gpa up by about .1-.15. Also I wont graduate till August 2012, so would they still consider me for admission for Fall 13? Or will my application be put on "hold" until I graduate?

Hey fellow underdogs ;)

My application was verified few days ago and hopefully it will be released soon. My stats 26Q 3.45cgpa (i think lol) 3.5sgpa. 2yrs env't research, 2yrs EMR, 2jobs, VP for student group I founded, and several other smaller volunteer stuff.
I started school late so i'm 6yrs older than my contemporaries. Also I'm Canadian and my school don't have medical advisory committee so it limits me on places i can apply to.

Hopefully applying early this yr will help me. Last yr I applied to 4 MD schools very late in the cycle and was ultimately rejected.
I'm retaking mcat in Aug so hopefully i can raise my 6VR score.

My 7 schools, in no particular order, are:
AZCOM
CCOM
TOURO-NYCOM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU
UNECOM
NSU

Should I add MSU? They are apparently accepting ~25 Canadians...but their tuition cost is still high and their annoying secondary app.....lol

G'luck y'all

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a 3.12 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA, I brought it up significantly from around a 2.4 last year. I got a 32P on my MCAT and I graduate next summer and I was wondering what are my chances for MSU-COM, LECOM-Erie, OU-COM. MSU-Com is my number one choice. Also I have one semester of organic chemistry research, 1 year of volunteer work, 3 MD references, 1 DO reference, I run a free health clinic in my area, and I have a reference from my Gross Anatomy/Physio professor.

Im thinking I can still bring both my science and cum. gpa up by about .1-.15. Also I wont graduate till August 2012, so would they still consider me for admission for Fall 13? Or will my application be put on "hold" until I graduate?

I believe MSU has huge regional preference.
You should be totally fine if you graduate Aug '12 and applying for '13. You can even start ur app cycle early even before you graduate so you have a better chance.
However, I dunno if you can get in if you want to matriculate for '12....if you graduate by june, i'm sure you can.
I graduated in June and applying for '12 Fall....it's still one yr away so kinda sucks at times that i hafta wait for 1yr before i can attend med school.
I'm just gonna work and study so i can get ahead before med school starts....yes, i'm gonna be the typical overachieving Asian kid

Hi guys!

I am a supporter of the underdogs as I was once an underdog a LONG time ago (last cycle :p). I had a 3.1 and 25 MCAT (only got to study a month because I chose to rush it because I was late in the cycle :/). I also didn't save the world or anything (had simple and basic ECs). I was told by many including the pre-health advisers to not apply (the guy literally laughed at me). YOU all will have the nay-sayers! But remember, it only takes ONE acceptance. Forget everyone that says you can't do it. Once you get that letter you can rub it in their face! Good luck everyone! Keep your heads up even if you get few rejections as that is defiantly going to happen.

Hi guys!

I am a supporter of the underdogs as I was once an underdog a LONG time ago (last cycle :p). I had a 3.1 and 25 MCAT (only got to study a month because I chose to rush it because I was late in the cycle :/). I also didn't save the world or anything (had simple and basic ECs). I was told by many including the pre-health advisers to not apply (the guy literally laughed at me). YOU all will have the nay-sayers! But remember, it only takes ONE acceptance. Forget everyone that says you can't do it. Once you get that letter you can rub it in their face! Good luck everyone! Keep your heads up even if you get few rejections as that is defiantly going to happen.

Hey! I sent you a msg :)

I officially submitted my primary today :) My gpa is a 3.75 and science is a 3.58. My mcat is a 24O with a 6 in verbal that I am retaking July 16. Missouri resident went to the University of Arkansas. My EC's are decent but I still havent shadowed a DO or have a letter from one. I am working on getting in to shadow. I applied to both AT Stills, Lecom-B, KCUMB, OSU-Com, Des Moines, Lincoln memorial, RVU, William Carey, and Western in Lebanon. Depending on my mcat going up I may add ccom, azcom, pcom-georgia, and nova.

I officially submitted my primary today :) My gpa is a 3.75 and science is a 3.58. My mcat is a 24O with a 6 in verbal that I am retaking July 16. Missouri resident went to the University of Arkansas. My EC's are decent but I still havent shadowed a DO or have a letter from one. I am working on getting in to shadow. I applied to both AT Stills, Lecom-B, KCUMB, OSU-Com, Des Moines, Lincoln memorial, RVU, William Carey, and Western in Lebanon. Depending on my mcat going up I may add ccom, azcom, pcom-georgia, and nova.

Even with your current MCAT, your gpa is still pretty nice. Goodluck in the future with your mcat :)

Posting to let all the remaining 'underdogs' know I was accepted off of the waitlist at nova southeastern in early may. My stats were as follows:

MCAT: 28M (10,9,9)
GPA: 2.85c, 3.2s
CNA for 3 years, 1 publication, 2 years of research

Don't give up if you're still waiting, SDN can be corrosive!

Posting to let all the remaining 'underdogs' know I was accepted off of the waitlist at nova southeastern in early may. My stats were as follows:

MCAT: 28M (10,9,9)
GPA: 2.85c, 3.2s
CNA for 3 years, 1 publication, 2 years of research

Don't give up if you're still waiting, SDN can be corrosive!
Congrats...Nova is my # 1 choice... I thought it would be an uphill battle even with 28+ MCAT, 3.18 cGPA and 3.3+ sGPA. Did you do a SMP or a postbacc?

Hey guys, seeking some advice about what schools I should apply to. Just to reiterate my stats:

3.26 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, 32Q MCAT
ECs: cancer vaccine research, theroretical molecular research, shadowing ER MD, shadowing orthopedic surgeon MD, leadership in fraternity, philanthropy chair, lots of music stuff. I'll be shadowing 2 DOs starting in august

I'm applying to:

LECOM-E
DMU-COM
KCUMB-COM
PCOM
TCOM-NY
CCOM
UNE-COM
NYCOM
UMDNJ-SOM
UCOMP
WVSOM
KCOM
AZCOM

Does anybody feel that I should take any of these off of my list for any reason at all? Or are there any additional schools I should be applying to?

Thanks!

Hi Guys I want some input on my situation.

I practiced so much for the verbal section. Every practice test i took I would get a 9 in the verbal which I was happy about (i took over 6 practices), then i took the real thing (3 times) and bombed that specific section 3 times. Here are my scores:

First try:
Verbal 5; Bio 10; Physics 10; Writing S; Total: 25S

Second Try (best score):
Verbal 6; Bio 11; Physics 11; Writing S; Total: 28S

Third Try:
Verbal 5; Bio 11; Physics 12; Writing Q; Total: 28Q

Combined high score of 29S. Verbal 6, Bio 11, Physics 11, Writing S.

I wanted to know what people think of my chances? I am only applying to DO.

My cGPA is 3.79, sGPA is 3.79 (this is edited from what i had before as 2.79, sorry for that), and I have a ton of clinical and non clinical volunteering, leadership experience, and am currently working 2 clinical research jobs (one full time, one half time). I graduated from college last year. I literally have everything going except for that verbal section. Will DO schools be able to look past this and see me for the otherwise excellent candidate I (personally believe that I) am?

Last edited:
Perfect candidate besides your mcat when your carrying around a 2.79 sgpa? Why did you do so poorly in science classes when you obviously knew the sciences based on your mcat?

RNueve 3.34, 3.10, MCAT in August :scared:...

I feel like an underdog too!

Last edited:
3.74 sGPA and cGPA, 21O MCAT. I already submitted my application.. Did i kill my chances with my MCAT :(. My MCAT was really low, and I feel liek i just screwed myself over. I want to go to VCOM.

What did you score in each section? Was it even with three 7s or? I only ask because some have minimum scores for each section of the mcat.

Ya I agree

Last edited:
Sure, ya its PS-7 BS-8 and VR-6, so no it was not. I wish it was. I'm really bummed, b/c the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realize that i am actually going to have to retake :(. I have a lot of EC's; clinical, research, etc. this was the one thing that just screwed me over.

Yeah, you don't want the mcat to be that much of a distraction for them. It kinda takes away from everything else. I would say a retake is pretty necessary :/

Hey everyone, I was hoping for some help. I am a florida resident with a 3.65 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa. I just got a 25O on my mcat :/ which is on the lower end of my practice scores. Is there any chance of getting accepted to a FL medical school? MD or DO?

First Post!!!
I just received my MCAT scores today 20S V-5 B-8 P-7. Yeah...I can read I promise- and English is not my second language. I was diagnosed with dyslexia in high school, but was getting 7's and 8's on my practice tests in Verbal.

I have a 3.7c and 3.72s and decent EC and 50+ shadow hours with a D.O.. I figure I should retake the MCAT, but am not sure if I should wait a year since I haven't had a physics, genetics, or bio-chem class yet. Technically I will be awarded my B.S. in 3 years, since I take/am taking full course loads during the summer therefore i will be "a year ahead/" Thoughts? Suggestions?

WOW. Sorry not 2.79, i have a sGPA of 3.79... both s/cGPA are 3.79

Perfect candidate besides your mcat when your carrying around a 2.79 sgpa? Why did you do so poorly in science classes when you obviously knew the sciences based on your mcat?

Hey sorry that is a typo. I have a 3.79 science GPA too. Wow i was like why is he insulting my science GPA its solid too!! haha so what do you think??

Updated front page. If I missed anyone or you want to be added, post it or PM me! We are getting a good list going everyone :thumbup:

Might as well add myself to this thread. I was hoping I wouldn't have too :(
Top 20 university
TN Resident
GPA: 3.45c/3.24s
MCAT 22: 7PS/7VB/8BS I little shocked considering I never scored below an 11 on VB for ~12 practice exams...and I thought I got ~5BS post-test. Signed up for the July 28th MCAT and I'm studying every second between now and then. Hopefully I can stop freaking myself out when I walk into that room.

Top choice: LECOM-B, but I applied to 28 schools (14DO/14MD) (I only applied to the 14MD b/c of the fee waiver).

Anyone know how to indicate on my AACOMAS/AMCAS (that have already been submitted) that I am retaking the MCAT at the end of July... that away my app gets put on hold rather than rejected? Thanks.

Big 10 School

GPA: 3.28

SciGPA: 3.31

MCAT August

Sure, ya its PS-7 BS-8 and VR-6, so no it was not. I wish it was. I'm really bummed, b/c the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realize that i am actually going to have to retake :(. I have a lot of EC's; clinical, research, etc. this was the one thing that just screwed me over.

SG3- you might actually be OK at VCOM-Carolinas with that mcat.
brand new school.. apply very early and your chances should be good I think.

SG3- you might actually be OK at VCOM-Carolinas with that mcat.
brand new school.. apply very early and your chances should be good I think.

I applied to VCOM in Blacksburg... You can only apply to one or the other? Or do you automatically apply to both? (Like LECOM-E and Seton Hill)

I am not just an underdog, but a super underdog. You can check my stats for last year in last years thread. It was my third cycle applying. I changed a few things between my second and third application years. Raised my MCAT score (only by two points), volunteered more, prayed more, and most importantly changed my personal statement. My first two cycles I received nothing but pre-interview holds… My third cycle I received 5 interview invites. Some things I picked up along the way (also mimicking the other underdogs that came before me) I would like to share with you.

~Apply broadly, but only places that you would WITHOUT A DOUBT go to if accepted.
For example, I spent time and money on applying to some schools that don’t consider at out of state applicants. Other schools I spent time and money on that I wouldn’t really want to attend, even if accepted. Spend your money wisely, this process is not for the faint of wallet, especially when you have to do it 3 times… lol

~ Make sure your personal statement is from the heart. Nobody wants a personal statement that is just a rehash of every other applicants’.

~ If by any means you are going to retake the MCAT, YOU STUDY MATERIALS DO MATTER. The first time I studied for the test I bought some off brand book. I was ill prepared for the test and my grad reflected that. When I retook the exam all I used was Kaplan. While I did better it was still poor (my current grade). I have been studying with the TBR books and EK 1001 books now (in case I wasn’t accepted) and am getting 27-31’s on my practice AAMC’s.

~You’re secondaries count. Believe me. I know if you are applying broadly sometimes you copy paste information, because it’s a good essay. But if a school asks “why them”, etc. Make a connection, why would you want to go there? What connects you to that school? Why would you drop any other school that accepts you to matriculate there (even if you wouldn’t…. use this through process to bring out that particular schools strengths and your connections to that school.)

~If you are invited to an interview, forget about your weaknesses. A school invites you to interview because they are genuinely interested in you. While there is a small chance that they might bring up it in the interview, most D.O. interviews will focus on finding out who you are not what you have done (MOST). This being said, bolster your confidence, look around in your group of interviewee’s, and say to yourself, “Self, I am as good or better than every applicant here” and go with that attitude.

~ Be on time. If you are in another state, know where you have to go before you get there. I have seen it. It was quite embarrassing.

~Don’t stress the night before. Just prepare for the interview by briefly looking over your personal statement, your secondaries, and maybe a CV. Also, DO CHECK OUT THE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON SDN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST INTERVIEW OF THE CYCLE. But don’t stress out over them.

~Eat breakfast. Falling asleep or being distracted in their presentation doesn’t show interest. Get a good breakfast in.

~If you have back to back interviews (and I speak from experience here) Reflect and learn but DO NOT DWELL on the previous interview. It is in the past and you need to put your best foot forward for the next one.

~Don’t be nervous during your interview. Seriously it may seem that these professionals are scary. But really the basis of the interview is fellow professionals seeing if they would like you to be their collage one day. Show them who you are, why you’re there, and why medicine is your future.

~ALWAYS ask for business cards from your interviewers or for some sort of contact and send thank you notes.

~Schools DO read SDN… Believe me, it’s not a myth. If there is any way they can connect you to some derogatory post, you are hurting your chances.

~If you do get waitlisted NEVER GIVE UP HOPE… and this is where my story comes in. I was waitlisted at my top choice schools. Waitlists are NOT a bad thing. It means they like you but just want to see what is out there. I sent an update once a month with new volunteer activities, experiences, etc. One of the reasons I was pulled off was because over the course of these emails, the faculty got to know me better and saw that my heart was in the right place.

~Above all else…. Realize that if you want to be a doctor, there is a way. There always is a way. Never give up that dream.

Good luck underdogs, I’ll be rooting for you between my classes this year. J
THANK YOU! Saving this.

I applied to VCOM in Blacksburg... You can only apply to one or the other? Or do you automatically apply to both? (Like LECOM-E and Seton Hill)

You only apply to one on primaries, then on the secondaries you mark whether you would like to be considered for VA, SC, or Both campuses. I think they did this to save applicants money. I think you can also mark a preference, or the preference is given to the one that you included on your primary. I was then asked again the day before I was accepted from the waitlist if I still wanted to be considered for both or only for the VA campus. VA all the way.

This thread is really encouraging. I've been a long time reader and this will be my first post. Good luck to all you underdogs this cycle. I was hoping to share my own stats and get some of your opinions and inputs.

1st MCAT: 25R (9P, 8V, 8B)
2nd MCAT: 24Q (7P, 8V, 9B)
cGPA: 3.52 sGPA 3.21

I plan on applying broadly and early, but my top choice is CCOM. I hope I didn't kill my chances with my 2nd MCAT, I took a risk in taking it and was really unfortunate to confront my weakness in a calculation laden PS. I had a few ECs during undergrad including a board position in an honors fraternity. I have a summer and winter's worth of research, 200 hours of volunteer at a free health care clinic, and 80 hours of shadowing a DO (from whom I also have a LOR). Thanks for reading guys, best of luck to all of you!

please add me to the list

dinos go moo- cGPA: 3.24, sGPA: 3.17, MCAT: 24

game on!

EDIT: sorry DJack, didn't see at first that you didn't want us posting stats until everything is in. Don't read this yet!! :[

Greetings! I just set up my SDN id today, but i've been a silent creeper on the boards for about a year now, so I do feel a small, if misplaced camaraderie with you all :p

I'm applying this cycle, big ten school for undergrad, just took my MCAT this June & waiting for my scores in a few weeks :scared: It felt somewhat like a practice test--on which I was inconsistently ranging everywhere from 26 to 32. Hard to say where I'll truly fall.

cGPA 3.44, sGPA 3.40, MCAT TBA.

Taking about 3 (maybe 6) science credits this summer to boost that gpa up, if only a tiny bit.

ECs:

• 1 year of BOLD-fMRI research and a poster presentation
  • Volunteering (both hospital ER and radiology)
  • Shadowing of two MDs (although no DO shadowing yet...working on that tomorrow)
  • Academic letters of rec in place, great personal statement, etc.
  • Usual pre-med clubs and leadership positions in other non-medical clubs
  • Soup kitchen volunteer for 4+ years
  • Worked at a local children's health clinic planning events for terminally ill children for a year
  • Have research lined up for January '12 onwards (I'm graduating a semester early in December) at an east coast Ivy school
There are more, but you get the gist.

My top choices are MSUCOM, CCOM, OUCOM and PCOM. Will probably also apply to Nova, Western, NYCOM, KCOM and LECOM.

Good luck everyone :thumbup:

Last edited:
Although I don't have my 'verified GPA' since we haven't received any secondaries yet...

DrPrincipessa:
cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.3
MCAT 28Q

Looking at all the posted GPA/MCAT scores this thread doesn't seem to have many actual underdogs. DJack, what are the criteria being used to determine if someone is an "underdog"?

Looking at all the posted GPA/MCAT scores this thread doesn't seem to have many actual underdogs. DJack, what are the criteria being used to determine if someone is an "underdog"?

I believe he cited being below a 3.5 gpa and 32 MCAT as "underdog material." By those standards, there are plenty of us. And I think the DO averages are around 3.47gpa/27 MCAT and that, too, leaves quite a few of us on the border.

I was kind of hoping my mcat would put me too high for this, but here I am. 3.3s and 25P

I believe he cited being below a 3.5 gpa and 32 MCAT as "underdog material." By those standards, there are plenty of us. And I think the DO averages are around 3.47gpa/27 MCAT and that, too, leaves quite a few of us on the border.

This does need some clarification. I was saying someone posting in this thread or messaging me with a 3.5 and a 32, which has happened, does not make them an underdog.

While there is no set criteria, I have just been posting most of the scores up. Usually if someone isn't really an underdog, I will mention it. Me posting up someone with a 3.5 and a 32 does not do any good for those that are sub 26 and/or sub 3.4. We all know that a 3.5 and a 32 is good enough to get in, but the point of this thread is to show others that people with a wide range of scores can get accepted.

If you guys would like to create a "criteria" to be an underdog, you are more than welcome to discuss and whatever is assumed I will put up. :thumbup:

Also, I will update the scores more tomorrow or the day after when I am done doing some travelling.

This does need some clarification. I was saying someone posting in this thread or messaging me with a 3.5 and a 32, which has happened, does not make them an underdog.

While there is no set criteria, I have just been posting most of the scores up. Usually if someone isn't really an underdog, I will mention it. Me posting up someone with a 3.5 and a 32 does not do any good for those that are sub 26 and/or sub 3.4. We all know that a 3.5 and a 32 is good enough to get in, but the point of this thread is to show others that people with a wide range of scores can get accepted.

If you guys would like to create a "criteria" to be an underdog, you are more than welcome to discuss and whatever is assumed I will put up. :thumbup:

Also, I will update the scores more tomorrow or the day after when I am done doing some travelling.

If you would like to be consistent with last year's criteria, this is what HockeyDr09 used:

"Formula:
MCAT/2 + sGPA*10 = Applicant Score

(The "sGPA" here is your science GPA)

The average applicant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 25.49 MCAT, 3.25sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 45.25, as per the formula: (25.49/2) + (3.25*10) = 45.25

The average matriculant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 26.19 MCAT, 3.35sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 46.60, as per the formula: (26.19/2) + (3.35*10) = 46.60

8/9/2010 Update: Added a resources section on the bottom of this post with my custom excel spreadsheet (I'm a nerd). Enjoy.

8/31/2010 Update: Plenty of invites pouring in now. Thanks to DbDan we have a spreadsheet ranking everyone in the club in order of their applicant. If you have TBD and have received your score, please let us know so we have the most accurate information possible for everyone else to view."

It's up to you though!

If you would like to be consistent with last year's criteria, this is what HockeyDr09 used:

"Formula:
MCAT/2 + sGPA*10 = Applicant Score

(The "sGPA" here is your science GPA)

The average applicant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 25.49 MCAT, 3.25sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 45.25, as per the formula: (25.49/2) + (3.25*10) = 45.25

The average matriculant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 26.19 MCAT, 3.35sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 46.60, as per the formula: (26.19/2) + (3.35*10) = 46.60

8/9/2010 Update: Added a resources section on the bottom of this post with my custom excel spreadsheet (I'm a nerd). Enjoy.

8/31/2010 Update: Plenty of invites pouring in now. Thanks to DbDan we have a spreadsheet ranking everyone in the club in order of their applicant. If you have TBD and have received your score, please let us know so we have the most accurate information possible for everyone else to view."

It's up to you though!
Where is that spreadsheet? It's not in the 2001-2012 underdog thread.