The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
not saying the underdogs are lazy. Im saying I was lazy. Thats why I became an underdog due to my own reluctance to work hard.

I think underdogs are the ones that often work the hardest. Ive spent over 500 hours studying for the mcat.
Its all good in the hood

Members don't see this ad.

Don't even bother with those at this point. Go into the application and fill it out. It will give you the cGPA and sGPA. For some reason, one of the spreadsheets gave me .05 less than the AACOMAS. I went crazy for like 3 hours trying to see if I made a mistake, but apparently I did not.
+1 this. Don't worry about it, go and start your app and be prepared to submit 6/1 or not.

I don't know if I'm an underdog. I definitely feel like one.

3.23 cGPA
3.89 sGPA
26 MCAT (8P, 10V, 8B)

Add me if I am. If not good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)

3.23 cGPA
3.89 sGPA
26 MCAT (8P, 10V, 8B)

3.89sGPA? Definitely not.

Just waiting for my final grade in a retake course I took this spring semester (a&pII, hoping to up it from a C- to an A, however its at a CC... couldn't stand paying over $4k at a 4yr when I paid ~$800 for this class at my CC, especially dishing out all the money for my BS!), then I'll submit my stats! I am definitely an underdog... and taking my MCAT late June, too! :eek:

Just waiting for my final grade in a retake course I took this spring semester (a&pII, hoping to up it from a C- to an A, however its at a CC... couldn't stand paying over $4k at a 4yr when I paid ~$800 for this class at my CC, especially dishing out all the money for my BS!), then I'll submit my stats! I am definitely an underdog... and taking my MCAT late June, too! :eek:

Ah I know how you feel about CC cost. My CC is about $90/credit.

Not sure if I'm allowed to join..
cGPA 3.47
sGPA 3.53
(based off calculations)

MCAT TBD(May 19 and will probably take again since I'm not hitting my goal)

I would recommend you postpone it then. Take it once, and never again.

Thanks serenade and angldrps. I have about a month of studying under my belt and hit 28 on my first practice 4 years post pre-reqs. I have just under 2 months of studying left, hoping for the best.

3.23 cGPA
3.89 sGPA
26 MCAT (8P, 10V, 8B)

You are not an underdog. If you have some average ECs you have a shot at any DO school. I had a similar MCAT and got multiple MD/DO acceptances. Spend time on your application and secondaries.

Nope. Chuck Testa

35d2m3.jpg

Add me in, please.

3.33 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA, and registered for June 21st MCAT (will start my prep next week)
My transcript has 13 W's and 6 repeats.
Average EC's; anticipating 2 lor's from science prof. 1 from non-science prof. and one from a DO...no committee letter (school offers it though)
Steep upward tend; all grades B or better for the last 3 years and no more withdraws (~80 units).

Add me in, please.

3.33 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA, and registered for June 21st MCAT (will start my prep next week)
Average EC's; anticipating 2 lor's from science prof. 1 from non-science prof. and one from a DO...no committee letter (school offers it though)
Steep upward tend; all grades B or better for the last 3 years and no more withdraws (~80 units).

Why didn't you get one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Add me in, please.

I added you, but I don't know if it is wise to only have about 1 month and 2 weeks prep for the MCAT.

Why didn't you get one?

My school committee has ridiculously strict due dates to qualify for a letter. I needed to have all of my lor's in before the second week of February. I couldn't meet this requirement. The adviser, however, told me that she will write me stating that the reason I didn't receive an lor from them is only because I missed the due date.

I added you, but I don't know if it is wise to only have about 1 month and 2 weeks prep for the MCAT.

I agree with you, but I didn't want to apply late. I will do my best, and if I don't score high enough, I will retake in August or September.

Hi YellowPeril,
You can add me to the underdog list.
sgpa: 3.04
cgpa: 3.24
MCAT: May 19th test date

I agree with you, but I didn't want to apply late. I will do my best, and if I don't score high enough, I will retake in August or September.

You are fine. Applying late isn't the kiss of death like ppl make it out to be

GPA 3.2, SGPA 3.1, new MCAT pending, reapplying

I really like this formula for underdog calculation since it incorporates both cGPA and sGPA.

+1. This is a much more accurate way of assessing your "underdog" status. I mentioned this in last year's thread as well, but to little avail. Maybe it's too complicated for people :shrug:

I win :p

sGPA: 2.66 (retaking a chem class right now though...)
cGPA: 3.1 (hopefully will go up with that retake...)
MCAT: 28S, 26R (retake fail)

3.23 cGPA
3.89 sGPA
26 MCAT (8P, 10V, 8B)

I'm in your same spot. Low cGPA, but a high sGPA. I'm taking the MCAT soon.

I win :p

sGPA: 2.66 (retaking a chem class right now though...)
cGPA: 3.1 (hopefully will go up with that retake...)
MCAT: 28S, 26R (retake fail)

Correct me if I am wrong, but you need at least a 2.75 on your Sgpa. Even if this is not the case as with Cgpa you may need to spend a year doing gpa repair as your Sgpa is likely in the bottom 5% of all matriculates. This combined with your average mcat makes your chances of acceptance this cycle so low that you will be just wasting money.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you need at least a 2.75 on your Sgpa. Even if this is not the case as with Cgpa you may need to spend a year doing gpa repair as your Sgpa is likely in the bottom 5% of all matriculates. This combined with your average mcat makes your chances of acceptance this cycle so low that you will be just wasting money.

I also had a very similar GPA and sGPA to physcigirl. I'm not saying the chances aren't remote, but I can personally attest that it is possible.

I also had a very similar GPA and sGPA to physcigirl. I'm not saying the chances aren't remote, but I can personally attest that it is possible.

did you have a +30 mcat score?

Ummm...this is the "Underdog" thread right?? I was under the impression that implied lower chances to start with...

Anything is possible....

Ummm...this is the "Underdog" thread right?? I was under the impression that implied lower chances to start with...

Anything is possible....

But it hurts my inner statistician!

Just being honest here, but if someone is in the bottom 5% in a particular area of their application they are really going to need something to compensate for that enormous red flag.

Trust me, I know. I heard back from 1 school this app cycle and am currently on the WL for them. :(
I'm attending an post-bacc/masters to increase my gpa and take advantage of the "linkage" offered.

Trust me, I know. I heard back from 1 school this app cycle and am currently on the WL for them. :(
I'm attending an post-bacc/masters to increase my gpa and take advantage of the "linkage" offered.

LECOM? Well I wish you luck with your journey!

MCAT 23T (10/5/8)
GPA: 3.46

I had a few problems that forced me to take the MCAT now, as opposed to later. I also did not take any organic chem and physics before this exam. Most notably, I got a scholarship that allowed me to study at university of london kings, me thinking i would take the exam in sept after 3 month crunch time of summer. What ended up was me taking the exam april 5th after all my British mid-terms (5 days to study), when it became clear I would have to work during the summer to help my dad make ends meet.

Im also going to apply for the fee waiver to help with costs.

The point being - do I even have a shot?

MCAT 23T (10/5/8)
Sci GPA: 3.32

I had a few problems that forced me to take the MCAT now, as opposed to later. I also did not take any organic chem and physics before this exam. Most notably, I got a scholarship that allowed me to study at university of london kings, me thinking i would take the exam in sept after 3 month crunch time of summer. What ended up was me taking the exam april 5th after all my British mid-terms (5 days to study), when it became clear I would have to work during the summer to help my dad make ends meet.

Should I even apply this cycle?

Can I join the pre-DO underdogs club?

cGPA 3.42, sGPA 3.36
MCAT: TBD (will find out score next week!)

Did anyone adjust their GPA's for grade replacement on AACOMAS? I entered all my grades, but I think AACOMAS will replace previously lower grades with more recent improved ones, no?

I entered my AACOMAS GPA's as they stand right now, but they may change after verification, correct?

I would recommend you postpone it then. Take it once, and never again.

After getting owned on a AAMC(low 20s) I'm going to retake the mcat. It's too late to reschedule so I'll take the test and likely void.

MCAT 23T (10/5/8)
Sci GPA: 3.32

Should I even apply this cycle?

23 is probably below the cutoff line. Lowest I've heard is 24 but they have higher GPAs to compensate. That said, it's not impossible with a 23... just highly highly unlikely. I would retake the MCAT when you can devote dedicated study time to it.

After getting owned on a AAMC(low 20s) I'm going to retake the mcat. It's too late to reschedule so I'll take the test and likely void.
Keep taking practices tests and study. I scored quite a bit higher than my practice tests. Just take the dang test.

23 is probably below the cutoff line. Lowest I've heard is 24 but they have higher GPAs to compensate. That said, it's not impossible with a 23... just highly highly unlikely. I would retake the MCAT when you can devote dedicated study time to it.

i can vouch that a 23 got into WCU; but he had amazing ECs and a great gpa. And he was in the middle of a SMP at USF.

LECOM? Well I wish you luck with your journey!

I'm waiting to hear back from them but most likely, I'm attending LMU. "Linkage" = interview granted you perform at a certain level , but it seems as if almost everyone that got A's/B's in anatomy got in (from what I've heard and from speaking to admissions). keeping fingers crossed.

thanks and gluck to you as well! :)

Don't even bother with those at this point. Go into the application and fill it out. It will give you the cGPA and sGPA. For some reason, one of the spreadsheets gave me .05 less than the AACOMAS. I went crazy for like 3 hours trying to see if I made a mistake, but apparently I did not.

Same thing here. I can only assume it's due to different rounding.

Is it more of an advantage to have a high cGPA (with a very high nsGPA) or a high sGPA?

It's so weird though, I got lower grades on my basic sciences, and did better on my 300+ level science courses... too bad the baby sciences downed my sGPA. :( Had a 3.7 math GPA alone, and they're not considered science courses for osteo schools... :lame:

Always best to have a high sGPA and cGPA, but the more important is your sGPA. Improvement in your upper levels will help compensate, so that is a good thing.

Good luck underdogs!!! I was accepted last year with poorer stats than many of you, so my advice is to play to your strength this application process. If you have poor grades and mediocre gpa, really sink some effort into your ECs and PS. Look at applying to schools with regional bias towards an area that you have connections to. And remember, as an underdog you better really nail your interview!

I was about to post something similar to this before I read it, I had lower stats than most on last years underdog thread but applied to a regionally bias school, had good EC's, and I feel like I had good interviews (had two interviews). The good thing about a lot of these DO schools is they aren't just looking for the high MCAT and GPA, granted it obviously helps. Good luck to all of this cycles underdogs and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

All my grades are final now, got a 4.0 this semester. Pumped.

Now I'm going to throw those at the AACOMAS and hope the numbers match what I told the OP. :xf: