The 4/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome, all April 18, 2008, MCATers!!!!

This is your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

11PS 12BS Q 6VR bullsh*t VR, i have to retake again- i never got uner an 8 in VR on any practice- this sucks.

That sucks. I didn't drop quite as bad, but I did drop below 10 in VR, which I have never done before.

Studied for 8 months and got 18P. 6's across the board. I have no idea how to study for this test. I'm so floored right now. Just don't know what to do.

I'm really sorry. What were your practice scores? I'm retaking too, so I'm right there with you.

I'm new on here...
I got a 26L
10-BS
9-VR
7-PS

I definitely need to retake. Anyone have any suggestions for the writing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ikazulu, you must have been really nervous while taking the exam to get a 18P. I wish you the best on your retake but try to stay calm next time.

I'm new on here...
I got a 26L
10-BS
9-VR
7-PS

I definitely need to retake. Anyone have any suggestions for the writing?

I got an "R" on writing and here is what I recommend: Just follow the directions EXACTLY!!! When it says to give a detailed example, be as detailed as possible etc

Studied for 8 months and got 18P. 6's across the board. I have no idea how to study for this test. I'm so floored right now. Just don't know what to do.

Hang in there. I'm definitely a testimony to that.

22 the first time after 7 months studying
21 the second time after 4 more months

FINALLY got something worth having - ended up studying over 18 months. Find what works for you, and NEVER giveup on your dream!!

They ranged from 22 to 26. Honestly I'm 30 yrs old and I just don't have time to mess with this again. Studying for this just drained me. My only choice is to study for the PCAT and hope for the best. Good luck to everyone that did well.

I am so let down. I was averaging about a 35 or 36 on my practice exams. I got a 25... Just rescheduled. I knew I didn't do well, but I thought it was like a 29 or something for me. Looks like my fun summer is gone. At least now I'll have had organic II (taking it now)

I am so let down. I was averaging about a 35 or 36 on my practice exams. I got a 25... Just rescheduled. I knew I didn't do well, but I thought it was like a 29 or something for me. Looks like my fun summer is gone. At least now I'll have had organic II (taking it now)

Spend one night crying, then get back on it. You can DO THIS!! :):)

Members don't see this ad :)
27Q (12/7/8)
I am satisfied with the total, but I wish it would have been a little more balanced. Can't complain about a 12 for VR though. I guess not taking O-Chem II and Physics II may have made a difference. Oh well, like I said, I am satisfied :):thumbup:

32M

11PS 11VR 10 BS

I had feelings that it hadn't been my best (AAMCs ranging from 34-37...). My gpa could have used a great score as well (3.6cum ~3.3bcpm). What do you guys think? I'm not shooting for big time research/top10 schools so i'm inclined to not retake. I know the writing sample isn't looked at that closely... but an M??? Am I going to have a tough time here???

thoughts are appreciated...

hope everybody gets what they want

EDIT: I just saw how bad an M is..... 10-32%.... hmmm......

PS - 12, VR - 12, BS - 10 = 34Q

I'm happy... I REALLY thought I bombed that PS section. For anyone who's studying, the AAMC tests were definitely the best predictor of my actual score.

Spend one night crying, then get back on it. You can DO THIS!! :):)

No time for tears. I have classes. ;)

I think I'm going to sell my xbox 360 and games. That might supply my coffee habit for the next few months....or 4 days if I go to starbucks

10PS 10VR 11BS

31P

Pretty happy, scored 30-33 on practice tests, so this was about what i was looking for. Should get me into my target (Mich. State CHM) hopefully, so no retake thoughts at the time. And If it helps anyone, i definitely think that examcrackers is the way to go for everything, VR, BS and PS. FINALLY ITS DONE!!! YAYYY!!!

Hey guys. New to the board. Just checked my score.

12 Physical
12 Bio
8 Verbal
M Writing

32M total

I did a lot better than I thought I would have. I'm really unhappy about my verbal and writing. I guess my brain decided to shut off the portion that knows how to read and write.

Do you think those low scores will hurt? Should I retake?

Hi All,
Congrats on being done... quite envious. I write at the end of the month.

Question for you all...

What was the best predictor of your actual score...
AAMC or Kaplan... ?

Cheers.

So I'm so happy to report:

4/5/08: 27Q

4/18/08 31Q :D

I couldn't be happier right now! I'm so glad I didn't listen to advice from people telling me to wait for my first score to come out before I took it again. I knew I bombed it on 4/5 - it was just a matter of having the right mindframe on test day. The first time, I went with my symathetic nervous system in overdrive!!! The second time, I relaxed in the waiting room for before the test reading gossip articles on Brad and Angelina - wow, that is just amazing!

Not only that, but for you who feel like giving up ---DON'T. I tried taking this beast in 2006 but ended up voiding after I misbubbled on the answer sheet. I can't even tell you what an idiot I felt like. Today I feel a great sense of accomplishment! All of you who are not happy with your scores, you CAN achieve your goal -- and it doesn't have to be done perfectly the first time. Good luck everyone!

P.S. 2nd and 3rd times I studied on my own with examkrackers and leftover Kaplan books as well as all AAMC practice tests. Go through practice tests answers and figure out why you got each and every one wrong and why you got each and every on right. This helped me tremendously.

More importantly, try (as hard as it is) to go into test day with the right mindframe. My score stats are proof (took it 2 weeks apart) that your mental game is very important too.

12 PS
10 VR
10 BS
S WS

32S

Happy about PS and VR and disappointed about BS (I usually score 12-14 in that senction :confused:)
But overall a definitely improvement from my previous 27S with a 7 in PS :p

I couldn't be happier right now! I'm so glad I didn't listen to advice from people telling me to wait for my first score to come out before I took it again. I knew I bombed it on 4/5 - it was just a matter of having the right mindframe on test day. The first time, I went with my symathetic nervous system in overdrive!!! The second time, I relaxed in the waiting room for before the test reading gossip articles on Brad and Angelina - wow, that is just amazing!

Not only that, but for you who feel like giving up ---DON'T. I tried taking this beast in 2006 but ended up voiding after I misbubbled on the answer sheet. I can't even tell you what an idiot I felt like. Today I feel a great sense of accomplishment! All of you who are not happy with your scores, you CAN achieve your goal -- and it doesn't have to be done perfectly the first time. Good luck everyone!

P.S. 2nd and 3rd times I studied on my own with examkrackers and leftover Kaplan books as well as all AAMC practice tests. Go through practice tests answers and figure out why you got each and every one wrong and why you got each and every on right. This helped me tremendously.

More importantly, try (as hard as it is) to go into test day with the right mindframe. My score stats are proof (took it 2 weeks apart) that your mental game is very important too.

Congrats!!! I'm really happy for you!:hardy:

Hi All,
Congrats on being done... quite envious. I write at the end of the month.

Question for you all...

What was the best predictor of your actual score...
AAMC or Kaplan... ?

Cheers.

Definitely AAMC. I think taking other tests are a must too because they are good for solidifying concepts and just being able to understand all the information you need to know for the MCAT, but the realistic style of questions and the actual format is more accurate with AAMC -- hands down. Good luck!

ya, definitely AAMC for me too. Did 29, 30, 33 on AAMC, 31P on the real deal. Do AAMC, but especially tests 7-10

11VR/08PS/10BS 29M,
I am so psyched. I did two points better than any of my practice tests AND it's above the score I needed to do my early admissions program, which means I'm starting med school this fall....I can't believe it....even though my writing score sucked...oh well

ya, definitely AAMC for me too. Did 29, 30, 33 on AAMC, 31P on the real deal. Do AAMC, but especially tests 7-10

Perfect. Thanks a lot... my scores are hovering around 33-38... VR is still giving me a hard time though (9s mostly). Crossing my fingers for test day.

For those of you retaking add one more to the list, July 8 i think is my new date and I scored a 9 9 8. I have no clue how i got a 8 in bio since this is my freakin major, wow i sured made my college proud with that. Anyways those of you who did well I am sincerly proud of all you guys because i know how hard you all worked, anyways back to the drawing board.

BS 15, PS 14, VR 9

Very happy with my score overall. I expected more from VR though. Do you think the 9 alongside the 14 and 15 would be perceived as an unbalanced course? I did get a S on the writing sample, so I feel the 9 was not a true reflection of my abilities, it was just a difficult section on 04/18.

Wow that's pretty incredible man. I'm glad you took it again even though I would have definitely advised you to wait as well. Good luck with this cycle and congrats!

BS 15, PS 14, VR 9

Very happy with my score overall. I expected more from VR though. Do you think the 9 alongside the 14 and 15 would be perceived as an unbalanced course? I did get a S on the writing sample, so I feel the 9 was not a true reflection of my abilities, it was just a difficult section on 04/18.

While it may be unbalanced, that is still a very good score. Anyone who gives you crap about it is being a bit of a tool imo. You may have been 1 question away from getting double digits in VR. If interviewer asks about it, just tell them exactly what you stated here; it is not an accurate reflection of your abilities.

I could not be happier....:D

May 31, 2007: 23O
PS: 10
VR: 4
WS: O
BS: 9

April 18, 2008: 31O!!!!!
PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 10

I can't believe I improved that much! :D

I just got an email form the AAMC saying that some scores will be released today for those who took the test on the 18th and 19th BUT mine won't be bc of "technical issues". they told me i am going to have to wait till Friday!!

did anyone else get this email???

Wow that's so weird.

I wonder what could have happened.

First time I took it I got PS 9 VB 4 BS 10

This time: PS 10 VB 10 BS 9 (I averaged 29 on the practice aamc as well)

I am so exited...i would of liked a 30 but i am happy still...Good luck everyone

11 PS
11 VR
10 BS
R Writing

32R

I am mostly happy although practice scores ranged from 34-38 but how unhappy can you be with a 32 first time out.

take it easy guys, I might not be in direct competion with you, but "mods" don't have the monopoly on MCAT scores. Peeps need tpo lighten up a little.

Congrats! What did you guys do to improve your VR score?

hey, it all worked out (since it wasn't even a real false alarm). I just know before when I was waiting on scores a bunch of folks got ph-ed for posting false alarms in jest.

i'll be the first to agree that mods can be toooo serious from time to time! :)

Hello, I'm new here, but I took the MCAT on 4/18.

3.8-3.9 GPA with 3.8-3.9 bcpm from semi-large state school. Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology triple major (Bachelor of science in all) with 2.5+ years research experience in all three fields. AAMC practice test scores range 36-42. Actual score received today 31R (12/9/10 - PS/VR/BS). Retake or not? All three scores are on the lowest end of the practice test score range spectrum.

I am considering the following schools:

Stanford
UConn
Florida State
UPenn
Pitt
Columbia
Washington
Ohio State
UMBC
JHU

any and all advice appreciated...

3.8-3.9 GPA with 3.8-3.9 bcpm from semi-large state school. Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology triple major (Bachelor of science in all) with 2.5+ years research experience in all three fields. AAMC practice test scores range 36-42. Actual score received today 31R (12/9/10 - PS/VR/BS). Retake or not? All three scores are on the lowest end of the practice test score range spectrum.

Stanford
UConn
Florida State
UPenn
Pitt
Columbia
Washington
Ohio State
UMBC
JHU

If you are not a Florida resident then don't bother with Florida State...

I know I know, we all want to be at a school that has the best football team on this earth, but i'm sure theres other schools with slightly worse teams that are still real decent!

Yay! :love:

37P
12PS
10VR
15BS

I took every single practice test available on Kaplan and AAMC.

I just wished my VR was a bit higher... but I did feel that the real VR on 4/18 was slightly more difficult.

Practice Tests (in chronological order over a 3 month span):

Test#: PS/VR/BS
AAMC3: 1/9/7 (17)
AAMC4: 8/7/9 (24)
AAMC5: 8/9/10 (27)
AAMC3: 7/12/9 (28)
AAMC6: 9/10/9 (28)
AAMC7: 9/9/10 (28)

The Real Thing 4/18/08:

10PS 12VR 10BS (32S)

I was pumped-- much better than I was expecting from practice tests.

Congrats to those who are happy with their scores! Now you can concentrate on your personal statements and getting those LORs in!!

To everyone who's planning to retake (and especially those of you who got under a 27): Thanks for being courageous and sharing your scores. SDN is often rather a skewed view of what is "normal" for admissions, and sometimes it's daunting to post here. We've got lots of resources here for you, and there are lots of people around to help out with ideas. If you have questions about how to study, do a search because it's been asked repeatedly and you're bound to find something that will be helpful to you. You're down, but you're not out, and although the MCAT score *is* important, it's not the be-all, end-all to this process.

38Q 14PS 11VR 13BS

Obviously I'm very happy!! This is my third time taking the MCAT and I've gone up 10 pts since my first attempt in 2005 (8PS 10VR 10BS).

Retaking sucks!!! But if you commit to studying, if you take a Kaplan class, and if you leave yourself 2-3 weeks to take practice tests, you can reach your target score. I wish everyone all the luck in the world. Don't give up!

congratulations! that is a really impressive improvement.

Stanford
UConn
Florida State
UPenn
Pitt
Columbia
Washington
Ohio State
UMBC
JHU

if you want a legitimate shot at those big-name schools, you need a big-name MCAT score (unless you have something else going for you, like URM or serious connections).

stanford, penn, pitt, columbia, washington, hopkins... those schools won't look twice if you're under a 33. hit a 36+ and your great GPA and research experience will get noticed, too.

gl :luck:

Got a 20 in Aug of 07
Got a 26 on this one.

I know I am not supposed to be happy by some standards, but I am. I think I am gonna try it out as far as admissions goes. I have friends that have gotton in with less. If it coms down to it I will retake. I have a high GPA and lots of EC's (college football, president of med club, shadowed 2.5 years, hospital work ect.) so hopefully this will be my magic number. If all else fails, just retake! Congrats everyone!!!