The 5/10/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mheart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am surprised this thread has not been started yet!! How is everyone feeling about the test?? How are you spending your last week & 1/2? I am retaking from Jan 26th so this is IT! I'm more ready to have it done than nervous...what about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

youre right, i felt like **** after mine...but, after i thot about it, i thot i did aight....i scored sumwhere around my averages...but leading up 2 the exam my scores were steadily increasing so i thought id peak that day....so even tho i felt like poop, in the back of my mind i was like, *im gonna bring it it always works out for me*, and i guess it sorta did but not how id like it...im happy tho, but i really, really was hoping on getting a scholarship 2 my state school, and with my ECs...i needed a high mcat 2 be the kicker...3.9, 34 is like standard admit, and even as a urm, i dont think itll get me a scholarship...(oh, **** here comes the overload of racist comments :corny:)

Depending on what state you're in, I bet anything you'll get a scholarship if your ECs are good and if schools understand that financial aid would be an important draw for you. I say this because one of my closest friends who is as WASPy as it gets got a nice scholarship to our 2nd best state school (we now have 6!) with a 29 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA. Last year. The school boasts something like a 31 MCAT I think.

Your MCAT is much higher, especially in terms of percentile.

But that's just my two cents. Either way, I wish you the best.

I'm sorry. The verbal is too low, I think. You probably have to retake. The cutoff for a lot of schools is higher than a 6.

I scored a PS 12 VR 7!!!!!!! BS 10....Should I retake...or do I have any chance?

I scored a PS 12 VR 7!!!!!!! BS 10....Should I retake...or do I have any chance?
Gosh. Your score is really on the border. I know some schools (ie Jefferson) has a min cutoff of 8 for verbal. How were your practice test scores? If you think you can retake it and get a 9+, then it's worth it. Otherwise, no. You're overall is good! Do a little research in the schools you want to apply to and see if/what they screen applicants for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psssh you probably hit like 35 or higher. It is funny that you mentioned bubblegum...I chewed gum like Kobe Bryant the day of the exam. It helped me focus and keep test jitters free and clear...i wish it were bubblegum though. i got stuck with boring winterfresh...which incidently is not that winter-y...more like fall-chillish. To be honest in the OC we don't know what winter is.

Okay all now that we have finished whooping MCAT booty, it is time to whoop some personal statement booty. with all this excess energy i am going to go claybar my car...too much energy to even dance!

haha...a 35?! I think you have the COMPLETELY wrong idea about me, but im not one to correct others ;)
by the by, I did the whole chewing gum while testing as well. But really, only because i was always chewing gum during my practice tests. My jaw was getting sore after five hours!
wish i was down in the OC...but ill just rep the bay for now. well...till i am forced to relocate because Cali schools will scoff at my application =/

hey what up,
I saw one of your older posts where you got a 6 in verbal on aamc 10 (right?) I got a 6 too! But you ended up with an 11, which is great! So, do you think aamc 10 was a lot harder?

i think that was actually a kaplan, im not sure tho? i remember doing really bad on 2 aamc verbals tho, ill check this 2 make sure why...10 i think was one..and what happened is, i started to stop using the kaplan mapping strategy...i only mapped for verbal, and then after i took all the kaplan test, i started realziing that i never even looked at my map...so i stopped mapping...and then WOMP my verbal scores dropped to like a 6 or 7....it baffeled me....i practiced it a couple times on sectional test and i found that even if i didnt use the map, apparently it helped me organize my thots...honestly, my mcat verbal was the easiest verbal i saw...EKs, Kap, AAMCs included...i finished with like 10 min and had time 2 go over...now that it is over i really, really was hoping for a 13+ in the back of mind...tho i wouldnt be shocked if i got a 10, i really thot since i had a chance 2 go over everything that i marked i would have scored much higher....hence why, even tho i am not stupid and know my verbal score is good, there is a feeling of inadequacy...like 2 more points and bam, my dream score...that very well could have 2 or 3 more questions ARGH!

but i am SHOCKED by my writing score...well not really, i kno im nice with the words lol but the last english classes were at cc in hs...not a single english course in college....i can bs pretty nicely, but i didnt think that nicely...

nebody know how adcoms look at good writing scores? does a 34S beat out a 36M hahaha? but seriously, does it?

U fraudin?
Fraudin'? :lol: 300lbs is good, but its not enough to call someone a fraud :p At best I was pushing 350 for reps. (Much smaller now b/c I haven't been training, but apparently there is still enough muscle hanging around to make finding a suit w/out major alterations impossible :( ).

i think that was actually a kaplan, im not sure tho? i remember doing really bad on 2 aamc verbals tho, ill check this 2 make sure why...10 i think was one..and what happened is, i started to stop using the kaplan mapping strategy...i only mapped for verbal, and then after i took all the kaplan test, i started realziing that i never even looked at my map...so i stopped mapping...and then WOMP my verbal scores dropped to like a 6 or 7....it baffeled me....i practiced it a couple times on sectional test and i found that even if i didnt use the map, apparently it helped me organize my thots...honestly, my mcat verbal was the easiest verbal i saw...EKs, Kap, AAMCs included...i finished with like 10 min and had time 2 go over...now that it is over i really, really was hoping for a 13+ in the back of mind...tho i wouldnt be shocked if i got a 10, i really thot since i had a chance 2 go over everything that i marked i would have scored much higher....hence why, even tho i am not stupid and know my verbal score is good, there is a feeling of inadequacy...like 2 more points and bam, my dream score...that very well could have 2 or 3 more questions ARGH!

but i am SHOCKED by my writing score...well not really, i kno im nice with the words lol but the last english classes were at cc in hs...not a single english course in college....i can bs pretty nicely, but i didnt think that nicely...

nebody know how adcoms look at good writing scores? does a 34S beat out a 36M hahaha? but seriously, does it?
I think a 36M would beat a 34S. But that doesn't mean your S isn't amazing! It will probably help!

haha...a 35?! I think you have the COMPLETELY wrong idea about me, but im not one to correct others ;)
by the by, I did the whole chewing gum while testing as well. But really, only because i was always chewing gum during my practice tests. My jaw was getting sore after five hours!
wish i was down in the OC...but ill just rep the bay for now. well...till i am forced to relocate because Cali schools will scoff at my application =/

Cheers for the bay area! I'm sure all the California schools will be begging for you to stay for some doctor-schooling. It is super hard for me to go and study at a library where the view is UCI Med school (my dream school). And don't say that you can't pull a 35....pessimism is just a fancy word for defeat. Your profile looks really, really strong! With all your extra cur. you definetely stand out. And you have Native American blood??? HELLO! You're in!! As proud as I am to be a persian girl, it sucks to mark "white" on the AMCAS and get literally nothing in the cultural department.

Sooo, I was responsible for telling my boyfriend his score, because he is no where near a computer.

34R.

He FREAKED out! And he didn't believe me. I had to get several people to read off the score and the website, etc...He still freaked! On the sad note, he was not able to celebrate. He is working at a boyscout camp, and no one there knows what the MCAT is. So, we he went to dinner, he got in trouble for being late (He is 21 for goodness sake) and he said he was talking about him MCAT score, and they said it was no time for school, he had to open the waterslide for the rest of the staff, and so while they played, he got to be lifeguard.

He gets a margarita when he comes home. In fact, I might just rent a whole machine!

Fraudin'? :lol: 300lbs is good, but its not enough to call someone a fraud :p At best I was pushing 350 for reps. (Much smaller now b/c I haven't been training, but apparently there is still enough muscle hanging around to make finding a suit w/out major alterations impossible :( ).

Maybe it's the lighting.. I don't know. But from the avatar, he looked like he weighed a little too less (around 150lbs or so) to be benching 300 lbs. But he confirmed he weighs a lot more than that, so it's all good.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my athletes couldn't bench 200 lbs. He won the Naismith Award in 2003, and is now a starting point guard in the NBA.

My VO2max is 58, which is pretty badass for a dude my size (6'4" 230)

Sooo, I was responsible for telling my boyfriend his score, because he is no where near a computer.

34R.

He FREAKED out! And he didn't believe me. I had to get several people to read off the score and the website, etc...He still freaked! On the sad note, he was not able to celebrate. He is working at a boyscout camp, and no one there knows what the MCAT is. So, we he went to dinner, he got in trouble for being late (He is 21 for goodness sake) and he said he was talking about him MCAT score, and they said it was no time for school, he had to open the waterslide for the rest of the staff, and so while they played, he got to be lifeguard.

He gets a margarita when he comes home. In fact, I might just rent a whole machine!

See, I need a boyfriend like you for when I get *my* MCAT score. :laugh:

One of my athletes couldn't bench 200 lbs. He won the Naismith Award in 2003, and is now a starting point guard in the NBA.

My VO2max is 58, which is pretty badass for a dude my size (6'4" 230)

ye, for some reason bball players are weak! i have that lanky bball build for the most part, 6'8 wingspan with a standing reach of 8'2"....makes for good dunking exhibitions (34 inch vertical :D) but not so easy benching (came into college maxing at 220:laugh:)...kevin durant, rookie of the year in the nba, couldnt rep 185 once in the chicago predraft camp! not once!!!! and he was the number 2 draft pick, goes 2 show how much they really care about non-functional weight room strength!

a VO2 max of 58 is pretty sick dude! ive never had mine measured...we measure them for the research lab i work in, but ive never done my own! for those who dont know, olympic atheletes have VO2s in the 60s...

Maybe it's the lighting.. I don't know. But from the avatar, he looked like he weighed a little too less (around 150lbs or so) to be benching 300 lbs. But he confirmed he weighs a lot more than that, so it's all good.

ye i was about 2 say that too, but i didnt wanna sell myself short...only premed/sdn nerds would be impressed with a 300lb bench...but please believe i was SICED when i finally got to put 3 plates on the bar, even only if i did it once.

and 150? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: haha havent weighed that much since i was a fatty in the 6th grade!

i went 2 the gym tonite and after a 45 min of shoulders and 25 min of low intensity cardio i weighed in a 194...goal is 2 get down 2 185! harder than preppin for the mcat! ahaha...but at least with this u get results if u try hard enuff:cool:

350 for reps:eek::eek::eek::eek:

steroids my friend?

syke nah...but i do stay away from creatine...straight whey for me! probably will limit my gains!

congrats to all. You took your test... went through the worst month of your life and lived to tell the tale. I took the test on may 27th and what our two tests have in common is how many people felt after the test (... pretty bad from what I have read). Soo.. my question is this. Were you scores more reflective of your aamc practice tests or your thoughts right after the test. Meaning.. if you thought you bombed.. really thought you didnt do so great.. but your averages were 35 or something.. did you get close to your average or were your gut feelings after the test more accurate

newMCATscores.jpg

I'm happy with this score and pray that I'll never have to retake again. :)

this format is going to make revealing one score a time veryyyyyy interesting. especially since i want to reveal it BS, VR, PS.

ye, for some reason bball players are weak! i have that lanky bball build for the most part, 6'8 wingspan with a standing reach of 8'2"....makes for good dunking exhibitions (34 inch vertical :D) but not so easy benching (came into college maxing at 220:laugh:)...kevin durant, rookie of the year in the nba, couldnt rep 185 once in the chicago predraft camp! not once!!!! and he was the number 2 draft pick, goes 2 show how much they really care about non-functional weight room strength!

a VO2 max of 58 is pretty sick dude! ive never had mine measured...we measure them for the research lab i work in, but ive never done my own! for those who dont know, olympic atheletes have VO2s in the 60s...

I was shocked to see how good my VO2max was, considering I'm not a natural endurance athlete at all. I have had to work my ass off to become anywhere near a functional triathlete. I'm not great or anything, but I am getting better, which is the fun part about sports like this. You're only competing against yourself.

I think Lance Armstrong's VO2max is in the low-80's. Miguel Indurain was in the 90's. All these tour-de-france guys are freaks.

I was a really good dunker in my younger days. I was probably a better dunker in 8th grade than I am now.

Kevin Durant is a product of the same program that I worked for. He didn't bench 185, and Todd feels bad about that, but at the same time, he put about 30 pounds on the guy in less than a year. He looked like one of those "save the starving kids" commercials in high school. IMO, Todd is the best strength and conditioning coach in college basketball. I am biased, but many share this opinion. He also has the best group of exercise physiologists in the country at his disposal, so that certainly doesn't hurt. But the guy is brilliant, and he is a tireless worker who loves what he does.

KD is also very young. He got to campus at 17-years-old. He's just got some physical maturing to do before he's able to carry much weight.

He is a great kid, and an amazing talent. He works extremely hard, and I expect him to be among the NBA's very elite within a few years.

350 for reps:eek::eek::eek::eek:

steroids my friend?

syke nah...but i do stay away from creatine...straight whey for me! probably will limit my gains!
OTC supps, but, some of those OTC supps are a bit grey market if you ask me :laugh:. I never really used creatine though. But, I was benching 300lbs within about 11 months of training, so it was just a naturally strong lift...that and deads. Squats, not so much. Ha, ha. I've got a 6'4" wingspan though, on a 5'10" guy my arms aren't built for benching. My shoulders and chest makeup for it though (hence the problem getting fitted in suits).

Having said that, definitely don't belittle that 315 bench. That's when you're really starting to put up some big weight. 225 is like "okay, you can join the weight lifters club little guy", but 315 is like "lets buy this guy a beer", if you know what I mean :D 405+ is just kind of scary. I never maxed out b/c my wrists are weak and I was afraid of dropping 4+ plates on my chest and have it roll back on my neck :scared:.

since when is this a thread about lifting weights? ridiculous

Since pre-meds became more than just chem and bio. Thank the lordy that someone brought something besides the usual to the party. Keep it up you menly-men!!! Talking about weight lifting is by far the sexiest thing ever haha!!!!;)

Since pre-meds became more than just chem and bio. Thank the lordy that someone brought something besides the usual to the party. Keep it up you menly-men!!! Talking about weight lifting is by far the sexiest thing ever haha!!!!;)

lmao that made me chuckle...y arent there girls like u in real life? haha

OTC supps, but, some of those OTC supps are a bit grey market if you ask me :laugh:. I never really used creatine though. But, I was benching 300lbs within about 11 months of training, so it was just a naturally strong lift...that and deads. Squats, not so much. Ha, ha. I've got a 6'4" wingspan though, on a 5'10" guy my arms aren't built for benching. My shoulders and chest makeup for it though (hence the problem getting fitted in suits).

Having said that, definitely don't belittle that 315 bench. That's when you're really starting to put up some big weight. 225 is like "okay, you can join the weight lifters club little guy", but 315 is like "lets buy this guy a beer", if you know what I mean :D 405+ is just kind of scary. I never maxed out b/c my wrists are weak and I was afraid of dropping 4+ plates on my chest and have it roll back on my neck :scared:.

oh trust me, i was proud of that 315 haha it was my facebook status for like a month lmao...405 is a lottttt of weight...btw, why did you change your avatar? did ppl figure you out? ive had 3 ppl that go 2 my school figure me out from that damn thing (i swear im not a stripper hahaha) so im gonna probably change it!

lmao that made me chuckle...y arent there girls like u in real life? haha

oh trust me, i was proud of that 315 haha it was my facebook status for like a month lmao...405 is a lottttt of weight...btw, why did you change your avatar? did ppl figure you out? ive had 3 ppl that go 2 my school figure me out from that damn thing (i swear im not a stripper hahaha) so im gonna probably change it!

I'm pretty real darlin'!!! Keep up being something beyond books and exams :) If admission committees heaven forbid give you trouble you can always physically kick their a%#es with the guns you have building up :laugh:

I think you can say "ass" on here again. Someone with the power to make rules on here got their panties out of a wad, it seems.

I realized that b/c of the political nature of "The Lounge" it was probably in my best interest to remove my picture from my posts b/c, although its unlikely, its possible I could interview w/ someone who disagrees with me politically, etc, etc, etc, and I don't want anything like that to happen.

Right now I'm sticking to full-body workouts. What about you guys? Split or fullbody?

I basically alternate with these 2:

Simple but effective. I might add more stuff to it later... but I try and get out in 45 mins (yeah my legs blew up from this workout plan lol)

Workout 1: Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Pullups/Curls

Workout 2: Squat, Military Press, Rows, Tri-Extensions

Right now I'm sticking to full-body workouts. What about you guys? Split or fullbody?

Simple but effective. I might add more stuff to it later... but I try and get out in 45 mins (yeah my legs blew up from this workout plan lol)

what are you guys doing to our beautiful mcat thread!!!!!!!

on a side note. MAN THATS ALOT OF LEG WORK. wheres the ab/calf work?

also on full body/2 day splits I would keep a careful eye on your shoulder development. without isolation exercises, they tend to get underdeveloped, even with rowing/presses

so, sorry to be a stick in the mud, but do you really need to use this particular thread to talk about this weightlifting stuff? Esp. since scores just came out yesterday...

Congrats to everyone who reached their goals

Come on... with a moniker like yours I would have suspected you'd have done some lifting :D
in the spirit of pissing contests, i put up 315 max at 17 (junior in hs), when i played d end, but im weak as hell now
wow.. cant believe im part of this garbage lol

hey guys...I got a 32 M

11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS

I am ecstatic about my score....since I thought that I would for sure be retaking, but I am worried about that M in writing. Do you think that I would have to retake because of that M? :(

It seems to be the general consensus that the WS is a joke. Schools are going to be reading your PS and secondary essays, which is more than enough opportunity to demonstrate your ability to write.

Overall Score: 29P
VR 8
PS 11
BS 10

I got owned on bio... and I thought I did alright at least... I was doing 11-14's the weeks prior to the test.. o well.. sorta bummed............... Do you guys think I should retake (I know this belongs in another area, but im desperate).. I wanna get into Jefferson and I have a 3.82 gpa... baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh ... please tell me I should not retake and I still have a shot at Jefferson. darnit

We're almost score twins. mine was BS 11 PS 10 VR 8

Silly, pianola, look at the image you quoted! :laugh: Its says "Show Percentiles" right in the middle of the picture!

1 huge thing on essays is to spend sufficient time outlining. This is how I set up my outline:

Outline (gets 5 min minimum and 10 max)

Intro
define the terminology in the prompt in a manner in which it applies to my own argument, introduce general themes and examples I wish to discuss, end with a strong thesis

Points to support thesis

Points to refute thesis

conclusion
repeat thesis, link the support to refute examples in a smooth, logical transition. look at overall picture and universal implications and why we should really care about the prompt.

Don't get too flowery in linguistics, you want to be clear for your reader (who has read too many essays to keep an appropriate focus). You want the essay to flow logically and the only way to do that is to have an effective outline and appropriate opening/closing statements within each paragraph.

I was in MUN back in the day and took a lot of poli sci/classics classes so I am pretty well versed in different topics. But if you focus on a few topics of interest you should be in good hands. I would know Thucydides, Machiavelli's Prince, Ghandi, FDR, MLK...know what the UN does and its history. Knowing something about these topics will clear out 80% of the "data base" you need to access for the sample.

I scored a T on my second MCAT, and S on first. I am a bio major not a poli sci, humanities or communication-heavy major.

Last edited:
It's my 2nd try and got 33M

Happy with my score, but they are unbalanced~

14PS(<~:eek:) 11BS(<~:)) 08VR(<~:() M(<~:mad:) see the trend?

I worry about my VR, hope this wouldn't fall below the cutoff.

It's generally a lot harder for basketball players to bench. Longer arms. And since we're all science background... W= Force * distance. At least that's what I keep telling myself (6'0 165, 6'4 reach). Durant who is only 6'9 has a 7'5 wingspan. which is larger than most centers.

It's generally a lot harder for basketball players to bench. Longer arms. And since we're all science background... W= Force * distance. At least that's what I keep telling myself (6'0 165, 6'4 reach). Durant who is only 6'9 has a 7'5 wingspan. which is larger than most centers.
That's part of it, but not all. We just don't want the guys to build a lot of muscle that could impede mobility at the shoulders. Bench press can do that, and we have to be careful. We did lots of chest stuff with a very long range of motion, like push-ups with one hand on a med ball, and stuff like that. Very little bench press.

i do a seperate part everyday..

Mon: Chest, Core
Tues: Bis/Tris
Wed:Legs
Thurs:Shoulders,Core
Fri:Back
Sat: Off (Usually Ill play like 2 or 3 hrs of pickup bball tho)
Sun: REPEAT!!! :)

since its summer i do cardio everyother day for like 20-45 min depending on how motivated i am...lol...if i dont feel like running at all ill go hoop and i can do that for houuuurs....sumtimes i just do a lil plyometrics and practice sum dunks for cardio...

hey guys...I got a 32 M

11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS

I am ecstatic about my score....since I thought that I would for sure be retaking, but I am worried about that M in writing. Do you think that I would have to retake because of that M? :(

i think ur fine....an M isnt suppsoed to hurt or help you from what i am taking from these boards....nice balance... i guess the bio didnt get you so bad! that **** got me tho! pisses me off lol

What up doc: If you're playing a lot of pickup ball, you should be doing some plyo and some explosive stuff like power clean and snatch. I like single-arm DB snatch too.