The 5/10/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mheart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am surprised this thread has not been started yet!! How is everyone feeling about the test?? How are you spending your last week & 1/2? I am retaking from Jan 26th so this is IT! I'm more ready to have it done than nervous...what about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

so... the general consensus right now is that ... the real score has been in the low range of practice AAMC scores or lower?!? oh man, that is not encouraging :(:(

but congrats to everyone who's happy with their scores!

wow...your guys' score report date is coming up this TUESDAY!
even im getting nervous for you, lol.
You know what would be great though, when you get your scores, can you post:

1. actual scores for each section
  2. what you predicted your scores would be for each section
  3. what the AAMC practice tests averaged your scores to be for each section.
I know its asking a bit much considering a I didn't even take it with you guys, but it might lower the stress levels of future MCAT'ers whom are awaiting their results. Who knows, you might prevent a heart attack :thumbup:

1) PS 10
VR 10
W P
BS 13

33 P

2) I really thought I did better on PS than I did. It is usually my strongest section and had been getting ~13 or 14 on Kaplan and AAMC practice tests. After the test I found I definitely missed 6 and knew I could probably count on a few more errors that would drop me down to a 10 or 11

VR: I never know what to expect. It felt normal and I landed in my usual 10-11 range.

W: I had never thought about the essays before I arrived that day and never thought about them after I left. Apparently 54.9-64.3 percentile. Eh.

BS: I must say I didn't find the BS to be as bad as I thought it may have been. Kudos to Kaplan for accurately simulating this section IMHO. I figured I could make 10s and 11s on BS and VR and let PS carry me home to a sweet score, but it is funny how things work out I suppose.

3) I took the Kaplan course and found the materials to be very valuable, the class was nice but the practice material was worth more than the class. I took a free diag at school before enrolling and got a 26. I studied some before I took the diag for the class and got a 30 (12 8 10). I progressively improved taking a combination of Kaplan and AAMC tests and ended up averaging around 37 for Kaplans and about 33-34 for AAMC with a 36 (14 10 12) on AAMC 9 the week before the real deal. I wouldn't say I am disappointed with the results. I know I could do better especially on PS, but overall I am satisfied. As long as it gets me in somewhere I will be more than thrilled. The last few days have been miserable and it definitely feels good to be through with all these hoops at least for now. Good luck to the rest of you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
As you might have read, I am responsible for telling my boyfriend his scores, seeing he is NOWHERE near a computer.

34R...

Is this good news? His goal was 45, obviously, but his real goal was at least 35...

Should he retake, will he be upset...I don't know!

How should I tell him?

Yeah, i guess that makes sense. i think the element of pressure adds the extra factor that decreases your score from you usually would make. but some people actually benefit from the pressure.

As you might have read, I am responsible for telling my boyfriend his scores, seeing he is NOWHERE near a computer.

34R...

Is this good news? His goal was 45, obviously, but his real goal was at least 35...

Should he retake, will he be upset...I don't know!

How should I tell him?

The average at many top medical schools is around a 35 or so. A 34 is a good score. You should be encouraging :)

I hope so. Now it is just a matter of getting a hold of him when he is in an area where he actually gets reception!

I am nervous to tell him, but I am proud of him!

Where is everyone applying?

VS 15
PS 12
BS 09
I have mixed emotions. I received the score I wanted but my scores are all over the place. Oh well. At least i don't have to take it again.

Ok here it is:
PS:12
BS:12
VR:8
WS:O

What do I do? Obviously I'm happy with the PS & BS...but VR...I NEVER scored lower than a 10 (even on my first practice test ever)..I owe this to the girl typing a novella on the computer next to me during the VR portion...even with two sets of earplugs...didn't help.

SO seriously...what is everyone's opinion...do I need to retake? Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Originally Posted by MrMattOglesby

I know its asking a bit much considering a I didn't even take it with you guys, but it might lower the stress levels of future MCAT'ers whom are awaiting their results. Who knows, you might prevent a heart attack :thumbup:

1. PS:13
VR:11
BS:10
WS:S

2. PS:12
VR:10
(This was my official prediction made a couple nights ago)

3. AAMC Test Range: 29-38
I didnt calculate the average but if I were to guess it felt like 33ish.

I'm still deciding how I feel. I'm happy, no doubt. But for some reason I feel a little unsatisfied. If you read my previous post, I really felt like I punished the verbal. 11 is great I guess, but the way I felt coming out of it, I would have really liked to have scored higher. My bio Im actually kinda happy with. Though I walked in expecting at least a 12, coming out, I felt lik ****. PS was right on target I guess, so no qualms there. Ill go into more detail later. Watching a movie on youtube.

Man, this was so anticlimatic. My heart was about to burst. And then bam, it was there. Just starting me in the face. For some reason I fixated on the 10 in bio first and almost started crying. lol....a 300+lb bench and I almost started crying after looking at score.

I really hate what this test did to me. I will never, ever, let anything do this to me again.

Last edited:

I'm still deciding how I feel. I'm happy, no doubt. But for some reason I feel a little unsatisfied. If you read my previous post, I really felt like I punished the verbal. 11 is great I guess, but the way I felt coming out of it, I would have really liked to have scored higher. My bio Im actually kinda happy with. Though I walked in expecting at least a 12, coming out, I felt lik ****. PS was right on target I guess, so no qualms there. Ill go into more detail later. Watching a movie on youtube.

Man, this was so anticlimatic. My heart was about to burst. And then bam, it was there. Just starting me in the face. For some reason I fixated on the 10 in bio first and almost started crying. lol....a 300+lb bench and I almost started crying after looking at score.

I really hate what this test did to me. I will never, ever, let anything do this to me again.

U fraudin?

hahaha nah dawg...

im 6'2 200 lbs...and i played varsity football n bball for 4 yrs in highschool... but i didnt really start liftin forreal till college started...the last time i maxed out i was at 315...i havent really been workin on my max though since summer started cuz ive been tryna 2 cut up...(peep the avatar:laugh:)...higher reps lower weight stricter diet usually means stagnation or loss for u physilleterates out thur...im probably around 305 right now which im happy with, ill start trying 2 bulk again once summer is over...i guess...okay im REALLY REALLY wrappin right now lol....

dude, my stomach really hurts...like, im not tryna be a cry baby b*tch...but why dont i feel as good about this score as I would like? I told myself Id be happy with 30+...hmmm this is odd..

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha nah dawg...

im 6'2 200 lbs...and i played varsity football n bball for 4 yrs in highschool... but i didnt really start liftin forreal till college started...the last time i maxed out i was at 315...i havent really been workin on my max though since summer started cuz ive been tryna 2 cut up...(peep the avatar:laugh:)...higher reps lower weight stricter diet usually means stagnation or loss for u physilleterates out thur...im probably around 305 right now which im happy with, ill start trying 2 bulk again once summer is over...i guess...okay im REALLY REALLY wrappin right now lol....

dude, my stomach really hurts...like, im not tryna be a cry baby b*tch...but why dont i feel as good about this score as I would like? I told myself Id be happy with 30+...hmmm this is odd..

pics or negs j/k lol

[youtube]8l14D5HMLpg[/youtube]

ditto. i will never be this weak again. also, 300 lb bench = impressive. im almost there.

OK here are my scores:

PS: 11
VR: 9
BS: 12
W: P

So I got a 32P, which was EXACTLY what I kept getting on the practice exams. Amazing, especially the BS score, which is about the highest I got on BS out of the practice tests, and the BS was REALLY hard on the actual exam. I'm dissappointed with the PS score, which was always 12-13 on the practice exams.

So should I retake, or is the score good?

I think a 34 is great. I'd be happy to have one. And you're balanced, too. Congratulations :)

hahaha nah dawg...

at first i thot that was supposed 2 be u, then i realized it was the tyson-soundin-meat-head from i love newyork...hahaha...okay, i cant really talk because that guy is big as **** (tho i would never like to be that big), but his form on those excercizes was TRASH...unless he was doing partial cheat reps on that bench (which i dont think he was) his form on that bench was terrible..but damn that was big weight..he put up 315 for 12...you just dont see that on campus..i put up 225 for about 10-12 and i thot that was pretty good (toe to toe with most footballers at major division 1 squad, and more than most if not all of the bball players :smuggrin:)...and the lat pulls? yuck...so much momentum...and his back isnt that huge so maybe that has something to do with it...again, i dont know what he was trying to do so i cant really talk....cuz i hate it if im doing like partial reps on the bench, just to switch it up, and then some disprorportionate, pot-belly let-me-do-my-biceps everyday prick comes over and tries to show me how to bench right and the i gotta explain what im doing and then they just look at me funny...ha!

oh, and i think its funny how i got a S on writing hahaha....ppl on this board always talkin bout how terrible i am at typin/writing/talking...goes to show how much they kno!:laugh:

Last edited:
at first i thot that was supposed 2 be u, then i realized it was the tyson-soundin-meat-head from i love newyork...hahaha...okay, i cant really talk because that guy is big as **** (tho i would never like to be that big), but his form on those excercizes was TRASH...unless he was doing partial cheat reps on that bench (which i dont think he was) his form on that bench was terrible..but damn that was big weight..he put up 315 for 12...you just dont see that on campus..i put up 225 for about 10-12 and i thot that was pretty good (toe to toe with most footballers at major division 1 squad, and more than most if not all of the bball players :smuggrin:)...and the lat pulls? yuck...so much momentum...and his back isnt that huge so maybe that has something to do with it...again, i dont know what he was trying to do so i cant really talk....cuz i hate it if im doing like partial reps on the bench, just to switch it up, and then some disprorportionate, pot-belly let-me-do-my-biceps everyday prick comes over and tries to show me how to bench right and the i gotta explain what im doing and then they just look at me funny...ha!

oh, and i think its funny how i got a S on writing hahaha....ppl on this board always talkin bout how terrible i am at typin/writing/talking...goes to show how much they kno!:laugh:

True.. those looked like partial reps so 315x6 I guess you could say. Either way, even if his form is horrible from powerlifting/weighlifting standards, whatever he's doing works for him.

I'm more impressed by a guy who got big that doesn't lift much/has horrible form over a small guy who can lift a ton. That's just me though.... a bigger muscle is normally a stronger muscle. But a guy who doesn't lift much but gives off the illusion that he is strong is much more impressive to me.

True.. those looked like partial reps so 315x6 I guess you could say. Either way, even if his form is horrible from powerlifting/weighlifting standards, whatever he's doing works for him.

I'm more impressed by a guy who got big that doesn't lift much/has horrible form over a small guy who can lift a ton. That's just me though.... a bigger muscle is normally a stronger muscle. But a guy who doesn't lift much but gives off the illusion that he is strong is much more impressive to me.

ye i guess...he probably juiced though...

and youre right, whatever works for you, work for you...liek when i do chest i mite do 185 for 12, 195 for 12, 205 for 10, 215 8 and then a burn out of 135 for like 20...then some one of my retarted gym neophyte friends will go on the bench and throw up 185 for like 10 with sloppy a$$ reps and then try to act like they are as strong as me...hahaha...but they try to do another set and they cant do 5! lol...thats the only thing that irks me...but i mean if youre doin what works for you and not tryna show off then...do u!

*u jus do you, ima do ME!* great song haha

Well...my life sucks right now....I missed my goal by ONE F****** point!
07 VR 12 PS 10 BS....I am psyched about my sciences (94% tile on PS)...verbal killed me and i thought I at least pulled an 8. I just don't know what to do...I feel so devastated. I missed not having to retake by one point! Does anyone think I have a chance with such a low VR score? My overall GPA is 3.80 and BCMP is 3.68. Lots of volunteering and research. Help guys!!!

MIKE!!
i doubt i know you....but I went to FIU and graduated in '06. CONGRATS on your MCAT score!
by your response, it seems like you scored better on practices?
I wouldnt be upset with that score though, it is definitely gonna get you accepted somewhere! Speaking of, are you applying to FIU?

PS: btw guys, it would really make the reporting of your scores a lot more meaningful if you posted your predicted scores based on how well you did, and what your practice scores were.
congrats to everyone who has been ballsy enough to display something so personal to the public though!

Eh, I was in the 32-37 range...I was hoping for a 35...but not much I can do about it now...I am going to apply to FIU, though I really don't intend on going there, it would be a last resort.

I scored between a 22-28 on aamc practice tests in the final days before the MCAT.

My real score....25 P
8 BS
9 PS
8 VR

Overall GPA: 3.68
Science: 3.58
Non-Science: 3.79
Biology Major

Think this is good enough? I'm applying to both MD and DO schools. I'm also planning to do family practice in an underserved area, and I applied as a disadvantaged student. I can't imagine working anywhere else besides where I grew up.

So I'm disappointed, because my score was the lowest I ever got on any of the practice tests (and it was the second one I took!), and I scored lower on Verbal than I'd ever scored on ANY section, but I also realize that I have a good score and shouldn't be complaining.

Here are my practice test scores in the order I took them and the real deal:

3: 40
4: 39
5: 40
6: 40
7: 42
8: 41
9: 42
10: 42

Real thing:
V: 12 PS: 14 BS: 13 WS: S
Total: 39S

I'm not real happy because I was really hoping to break the 40 barrier, and I thought I was in good shape to do so, considering my practice test scores, but again, 39S is nothing to complain about.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk - I'm not trying to be. I just know that I would have appreciated it if people had posted this sort of stuff so I could look at it.

37P

12 PS
12 VR
13 BS

I scored 32-35 on aamc practice tests 3-8, so this came as a surprise. I'm glad i took genetics (w/ lab) and biochem beforehand, those classes helped me enormously on this particular exam.

30 T!!!! I am really, really, really happy! To those of you who scored above the 30's and are complaining: you are not getting your med career off to a very good start by being so ungrateful for such a blessing. For those of you did not get your score: eye of the tiger baby. Keep trying. It's all about confidence. When you walk in the day of the exam and they say "good morning" turn around and say "hi I am here to kick some a#$" It's all about the confidence. Nothing can stop you baby, nothing. Like Rocky says: it ain't over till its over....Yo Adrien I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh::love::):oops::p:luck::hardy:

ahhh... I'm not entirely sure how I feel, I think I am happy, maybe...
VR:9
BS:11
PS:12
32o overall....

3.65 GPA with 3.8 BCPM

My goal was 33-34, so I did not fall very short, but short none the less....

30 T!!!! ... When you walk in the day of the exam and they say "good morning" turn around and say "hi I am here to kick some a#$" ...

haha im sending that in to reader's digest -- "quotable quotes"
or a variation: I came here for two reasons; 1) kick the MCAT's A**, and 2) blow bubblegum...and im all out of bubblegum.
i reckon that might gather some funny looks though. but probably worth it.

CONGRATS little miss md!
After seeing lots of you guys with your 30+ scores, I gotta remind myself that I would be happy to make a 29. Our goals are all subjective and what may be one person's victory would equal another's defeat....amen(?)

haha im sending that in to reader's digest -- "quotable quotes"
or a variation: I came here for two reasons; 1) kick the MCAT's A**, and 2) blow bubblegum...and im all out of bubblegum.
i reckon that might gather some funny looks though. but probably worth it.

CONGRATS little miss md!
After seeing lots of you guys with your 30+ scores, I gotta remind myself that I would be happy to make a 29. Our goals are all subjective and what may be one person's victory would equal another's defeat....amen(?)

Psssh you probably hit like 35 or higher. It is funny that you mentioned bubblegum...I chewed gum like Kobe Bryant the day of the exam. It helped me focus and keep test jitters free and clear...i wish it were bubblegum though. i got stuck with boring winterfresh...which incidently is not that winter-y...more like fall-chillish. To be honest in the OC we don't know what winter is.

Okay all now that we have finished whooping MCAT booty, it is time to whoop some personal statement booty. with all this excess energy i am going to go claybar my car...too much energy to even dance!

Littlemissmd... impressive T! Great job! That is definitely going to stand out! Congrats on the 30 too! I am hoping to get a 30 as well...won't know for a few weeks though ( I took it May 31st)

Everyone seems to have done great! Good job!:hardy:

so i am not sure if i should be happy??? my score is 31-O (VS:9, BS:11, PS:11) don't really care about the writing. This is was my second time... the first time i got a 28 (VS:7, BS:10, PS:11)... i am still trying to figure out if i should go celebrate...hmmm....
does anyone know how we can find out what the average score in each section is??

Littlemissmd... impressive T! Great job! That is definitely going to stand out! Congrats on the 30 too! I am hoping to get a 30 as well...won't know for a few weeks though ( I took it May 31st)

Everyone seems to have done great! Good job!:hardy:

Thanks babe!! You are in my prayers for sure, though I doubt that you need them!!! Take it nice and easy the next 30 days and keep up the MCAT karma LOL!:luck:

I received a 36M. 15 VR, 12 PS, 9 BS. I am happy with my numerical score but my writing score is really low. Apparently the skills I acquired earning my Master's degree in Rhetoric were not helpful for this exam. Is the M going to be a big deal when I apply to med school?

I received a 36M. 15 VR, 12 PS, 9 BS. I am happy with my numerical score but my writing score is really low. Apparently the skills I acquired earning my Master's degree in Rhetoric were not helpful for this exam. Is the M going to be a big deal when I apply to med school?

Wow! Nice score. I sure hope nobody looks unfavorably on that M. Honestly, a 15 in VR is very impressive and should offset a low score on the WS. If it doesn't, there is no justice in this world.

Eh, I was in the 32-37 range...I was hoping for a 35...but not much I can do about it now...I am going to apply to FIU, though I really don't intend on going there, it would be a last resort.

Just a point of etiquette: You don't recognize someone's academic institution as a "last resort." This is regarded as tacky and in poor form. :scared:

All of you stop whining about your 34,35,36, or above. Youre all going to med school.

O My... To retake or no... My scores are lower than all my practices. 13/6!!!/11 R 30R. GPA is 3.99 BCPM 4.00. My top choices are UIC, RUSH, and loyola. You think the high writing will make up for my low verbal?:mad:

O My... To retake or no... My scores are lower than all my practices. 13/6!!!/11 R 30R. GPA is 3.99 BCPM 4.00. My top choices are UIC, RUSH, and loyola. You think the high writing will make up for my low verbal?:mad:
I'm sorry. The verbal is too low, I think. You probably have to retake. The cutoff for a lot of schools is higher than a 6.

I've never seen so many unhappy mid thirty scores.....

Really, absurd.... especially with the general feeling on these boards hours after the test.....

I don't care if I score 46's on practice tests.... scoring around the 90th percentile on one of the toughest tests you can take is an accomplishment.

thanks,

i guess you guys are right lol

no retake for me! a 33M will do for now

i might retake it if i dont get in this year

I've never seen so many unhappy mid thirty scores.....

Really, absurd.... especially with the general feeling on these boards hours after the test.....

I don't care if I score 46's on practice tests.... scoring around the 90th percentile on one of the toughest tests you can take is an accomplishment.

youre right, i felt like **** after mine...but, after i thot about it, i thot i did aight....i scored sumwhere around my averages...but leading up 2 the exam my scores were steadily increasing so i thought id peak that day....so even tho i felt like poop, in the back of my mind i was like, *im gonna bring it it always works out for me*, and i guess it sorta did but not how id like it...im happy tho, but i really, really was hoping on getting a scholarship 2 my state school, and with my ECs...i needed a high mcat 2 be the kicker...3.9, 34 is like standard admit, and even as a urm, i dont think itll get me a scholarship...(oh, **** here comes the overload of racist comments :corny:)

youre right, i felt like **** after mine...but, after i thot about it, i thot i did aight....i scored sumwhere around my averages...but leading up 2 the exam my scores were steadily increasing so i thought id peak that day....so even tho i felt like poop, in the back of my mind i was like, *im gonna bring it it always works out for me*, and i guess it sorta did but not how id like it...im happy tho, but i really, really was hoping on getting a scholarship 2 my state school, and with my ECs...i needed a high mcat 2 be the kicker...3.9, 34 is like standard admit, and even as a urm, i dont think itll get me a scholarship...(oh, **** here comes the overload of racist comments :corny:)
hey what up,
I saw one of your older posts where you got a 6 in verbal on aamc 10 (right?) I got a 6 too! But you ended up with an 11, which is great! So, do you think aamc 10 was a lot harder?