The 5/31/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decicco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is studying? I've done a fair amount so far, but will have to put it on hold for two weeks for finals... then I have a whole month of 10 hour days :thumbdown:thumbdown.

How are your practice tests? My Kaplan scores have been high (check my MDapps), but I think they are probably inflated.. I don't deserve some of the scores I've been getting, lol.

Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last night I had a very, very bad dream. AAMC had messed up the scoring for the 5/31 test and everyone who took it on that day had to retake again!

AHHH!!

Anyone else still kind of wound up tight?

I mean, I'm a lot less stressed nowadays, but it's kinda hard to let go with the thought of retaking looming over my head. (I signed up for another just incase).

Bah, just ranting..guess this whole thing was a lot more emotionally exhausting then I thought.

I had a dream last night that I got a 36O...sounds good to me! Hope it comes true!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a dream last night that I got a 36O...sounds good to me! Hope it comes true!:D

OMG I had a dream too that i got a 36! i got a 15 on bio, 12 on ps, and 9 on verbal. hopefully that's what i really got lol 15 more days everyone!

This thread needs to be livened up.

Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg

I'll give you a topic: The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, Roman, nor an empire. Discuss.

Well, maybe not apathy, but I'm actually kind of glad to see that our thread has been sparsely populated for the last several days, meaning that we are off doing things with our lives and not just sitting and twiddling our thumbs waiting for our MCAT scores.

Don't get me wrong, I still log on to MCAT Thx often (ok, every single day), just in case, but then I spend the rest of the day not thinking about it too much.

Now that I'm thinking about it though...15 days still seems like a long time (only half-way through the waiting!) I can't tell if it's gone quickly or slowly.

Sigh. :hungover: I'm gonna put some dancing bananas on here now because they make me smile.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I do admit that this thread is much quieter than others I've seen. I wrote previously in January and that thread was extremely lively (partially b/c ppl were uneasy with the exam). I felt that this version was easier than my first time around. My guess is that others felt the same way, but don't want to get ahead of themselves.

As for more specifically how the test was, here's my 2 cents (from what I can remember):

PS: Less calculations than January. Mainly physics and a few G-Chem questions. I think rounding and the process of elimination did me good. Also, the penny passage was moderately difficult.

VR: Always my worst section. The passages were doable, but the questions were loaded with traps. I found myself double checking my answers and seeing a minefield of trap answers. As for the glacier passage, I think it was a tough read but with a simple message. Finding that theme guided me through the questions. Luckily, I skipped this one, finished the final passage and got back to this one with 9.5 minutes. That little window helped a bunch too. Oh, and no Archimedes passage. I had the other one, whatever it was. In summary, easier read (except the glacier passage) and tricky questions. This section was surprisingly not horribly bad.

WS: I agree with the above posters, it had very easy and doable prompts. In January, I received a "Q" (unfortunately my best section percentile wise :laugh:). Despite the relative ease of this section, I put my mind in first gear and crawled through it. Probably got a "N", but eh, it's WS anyways.

BS: Typically my best section, but there were definitely some head scratchers. I usually finish with 15 or 20 minutes to spare, but finished with only a couple of minutes. The transferrin and COPD were loaded with pathways and feedback. I drew pictures of each process, but we'll see if it helped any. Despite my uncertainty, probably get a 10 or 11 (i hope).

And in case anyone's wondering, on my first try, I received a 24Q (PS8 VR6 BS10). I just wanted to get that off my chest, b/c I've been quite embarrassed that I studied so much and did so poorly. Maybe others can empathize and post similar experiences.

Oh and pingouin, sorry no response to the Holy Roman Empire. Next essay I write will be for secondaries (i hope!):)

meaning that we are off doing things with our lives and not just sitting and twiddling our thumbs waiting for our MCAT scores.

Don't get me wrong, I still log on to MCAT Thx often (ok, every single day), just in case, but then I spend the rest of the day not thinking about it too much.
Twiddling my thumbs while waiting for my scores is my after work ritual (I always like having a daily routine)!

But I'm sure everyone's busy with primary apps and summer programs. They're spending their 8 hours of sleep to sleep and dream of MCAT scores.:)

Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg

I'll give you a topic: The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, Roman, nor an empire. Discuss.

Um, maybe not holy and roman, but it was certainly an empire. Prove me wrong.

And this thread is probably dead because everyone is busy doing their applications. I think most of us planned the May 31st MCAT just so we can do our entire app in this period before we get back our scores. (I know I did :laugh:)

Um, maybe not holy and roman, but it was certainly an empire. Prove me wrong.

And this thread is probably dead because everyone is busy doing their applications. I think most of us planned the May 31st MCAT just so we can do our entire app in this period before we get back our scores. (I know I did :laugh:)
so did I, but with the May 27th Mcat.. best of luck to all of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do admit that this thread is much quieter than others I've seen. I wrote previously in January and that thread was extremely lively (partially b/c ppl were uneasy with the exam). I felt that this version was easier than my first time around. My guess is that others felt the same way, but don't want to get ahead of themselves.

As for more specifically how the test was, here's my 2 cents (from what I can remember):

PS: Less calculations than January. Mainly physics and a few G-Chem questions. I think rounding and the process of elimination did me good. Also, the penny passage was moderately difficult.

VR: Always my worst section. The passages were doable, but the questions were loaded with traps. I found myself double checking my answers and seeing a minefield of trap answers. As for the glacier passage, I think it was a tough read but with a simple message. Finding that theme guided me through the questions. Luckily, I skipped this one, finished the final passage and got back to this one with 9.5 minutes. That little window helped a bunch too. Oh, and no Archimedes passage. I had the other one, whatever it was. In summary, easier read (except the glacier passage) and tricky questions. This section was surprisingly not horribly bad.

WS: I agree with the above posters, it had very easy and doable prompts. In January, I received a "Q" (unfortunately my best section percentile wise :laugh:). Despite the relative ease of this section, I put my mind in first gear and crawled through it. Probably got a "N", but eh, it's WS anyways.

BS: Typically my best section, but there were definitely some head scratchers. I usually finish with 15 or 20 minutes to spare, but finished with only a couple of minutes. The transferrin and COPD were loaded with pathways and feedback. I drew pictures of each process, but we'll see if it helped any. Despite my uncertainty, probably get a 10 or 11 (i hope).

And in case anyone's wondering, on my first try, I received a 24Q (PS8 VR6 BS10). I just wanted to get that off my chest, b/c I've been quite embarrassed that I studied so much and did so poorly. Maybe others can empathize and post similar experiences.

Oh and pingouin, sorry no response to the Holy Roman Empire. Next essay I write will be for secondaries (i hope!):)

I personally did not think that VR was as bad as you are making it sound. But then again I have to realize that people have different skill levels. Like I thought PR was a little challenging, but most people on here are like it was easy and straight forward. I guess I will know for sure in 11 days.

Another thing hard and challenging seems to be different to everyone. Some people if they "think" that they missed four are like "omg I did bad." "Bad" to the next person may be missing 9 or 10.

Ya i didn't think the verbal was that bad either, but we will see. verbal is what has killed me, the first time i took mcat, verbal was the reason i got a 38 instead of 45, i am hoping for a good score this time around

Ya i didn't think the verbal was that bad either, but we will see. verbal is what has killed me, the first time i took mcat, verbal was the reason i got a 38 instead of 45, i am hoping for a good score this time around

You got a 15P/8VR/15B? And then retook? :laugh:

Hi, PR.

I too took the exam back in january, and after months of studying, I also rocked the house with a mighty 24Q. LOL. Anyway, I took the exam again on 5/27, and not to get ahead of myself, but it did seem easier than the january administration. I felt alot better when I left the test in May. When I took it in January, I was practically crying when I left the test center. My prep this time was a bit different - - 100% content, no practice exams. I think I spent too much time with practice tests the first time and not enought time on content. Also, not longer being an MCAT virgin, I had an extra bit of confidence going into the exam for the second time. We'll see next week!

Good luck to you.

I felt the same way! I took it the first time in January too- I thought it was nothing like the AAMC tests. I probably could've gotten the same score without studying. -_- I got a 25R on that one- the BS was horrible (overload of gentics and ochem). But the May 31 one was way easier. It's not because I studied so much more or anything- I just studied about 2 1/2 weeks. It was fair, unlike the May test. Thank. God. :) Anyway, I didn't even think about the score release but I've been having dreams about it- lol. It ranged from 35, 33R to a 22 (I seriously freaked out in that one).

Good luck guys! =]

Are you guys waiting until after you receive your MCAT scores to submit AMCAS?

I just finished my application today and I'm afraid of hitting submit b/c I don't have my MCAT yet. I don't have a lot of money to apply to a bunch of schools so I have to pick the best for me. Without an MCAT score I really can't say...

Are you guys waiting until after you receive your MCAT scores to submit AMCAS?

I just finished my application today and I'm afraid of hitting submit b/c I don't have my MCAT yet. I don't have a lot of money to apply to a bunch of schools so I have to pick the best for me. Without an MCAT score I really can't say...

I already submitted mine and I didn't get my scores yet. Granted, it is still not verified yet. The school I am applying to is cool about retakes, or at least that was the impression I got. If I do have to retake, I will call them and let them know.

do you all think our scores will be released on June 30th sometime or July 1st?? im hoping for the former not the latter obviously so i can decide if i need to retake and send in those primaries

will 24 hours really have that big of an effect on your decision? don't get me wrong, of course i would love to find out earlier...but not for that reason

I've decided to submit my AMCAS... For now, I'm just applying to one school that I know I'd apply to regardless of my score. Then I'll add on other appropriate schools once we get our scores back. Only about a week left! :eek:

What up guys,
Best of luck to all of you. I also took the 5/31 exam and recently found this website. Gotta say I'm definitely impressed by the level of commitment you guys all seem to have. Just a week or so till we get our results back, have fun till then!

Yeah the waiting sucks! I guess it is our turn next since the 5/27 kids just got there scores back. Man, I've never seen so many 14s! Hope our scores are just as good!:)

i dunno if it's monday or tuesday... hope it's monday though. not bc i think i did well, but bc i need to get rest after these past two sleep-deprived weeks... seeing the scores from the 27th makes me a little scared to view my own.. there were soooo many good scores in that forum... hope ours will be as memorable (in the good way).... =)

I cannot believe the scores being reported on the 5/27 thread. I have come to the conclusion that 1.) I feel / am way in over my head as compared to everyone else here......2.)100% of the 95th percentile is posting on these threads...

Congratulations to everyone on the other threads that did well. Just taking the MCAT puts you in a class by yourself and scoring that well......well it is just really impressive.

That being said.....you know what they call the man/woman who graduates last in their class from med school???

DOCTOR!

Best to all of you.................BTW, I think Monday IMHO.

Our thread is super slow! I think it just seems like a lot of people are getting good scores because they are the ones posting...in actuality they are probably like only 20 people out of the thousands in the application pool...so let's hear it for the rest of us! (well at least me!)

So I have been studying since I signed up for the July 18th test incase I need to retake...I really hope I don't! I have not been motivated at all and can hopefully cancel that test!

So have you guys sent in your AMCAS? I sent mine in last thurs but it still hasn't been verified...my transcripts are there already, so hopefully it will be verified soon!

Ok, well, let's keep this thread going...atleast until monday or tues!:D

So I have been studying since I signed up for the July 18th test incase I need to retake...I really hope I don't! I have not been motivated at all and can hopefully cancel that test!

i told myself i would study before the july 8th retake, but i haven't as of yet. i should get on that bandwagon soon just in case i end up having to take the july 8th test. i wish my mind was constantly wondering how the may 31st exam went... maybe then i could actually focus my attention. anyways, yeah, i sent in my amcas last week. they got the transcript, but it hasn't been verified yet. and ditto, i too think that that low/average scorers aren't posting their scores! (which isn't helping the rest of us!!)

RockyMD, I'm in more or less the same boat as you, only I take it again on the 10th. I've done some general reviewing, starting to look at passages again from my workbooks...but my motivation is absolute garbage.

My primary has been verified and sent out, starting to receive electronic 2ndaries...I really want to jump on them, but with the whole not having the score yet..its hard to focus on the next stage of the game..

Part of me just wants to get this over with, one way or another..I really really don't want to take it again, and I don't feel like I'll be in TOO much better shape than last time...

I actually lowered my personal cutoff a point to give myself an excuse not to take it again..hell, the idea of lying to my parents and saying I did alright/don't have to take it again popped into my head.....I know, that's terrible, but it just goes to show you the mental stress the hole thing is causing me...

bah, couple more days. GOODLUCK EVERYONE!

July 1st is the projected date but it's not binding. I hope it's monday but since 5/27 scores didn't come out early...I don't know if that will have an effect on when our scores are released...? =\

July 1st is the projected date but it's not binding. I hope it's monday but since 5/27 scores didn't come out early...I don't know if that will have an effect on when our scores are released...? =\

Have others been coming out early?

From what it seems, the most recent examinations have had their scores released one day early at around 3:30 pm EST. So Monday afternoon/evening is likely when we'll get out scores. Enjoy your weekends and try to get the MCAT off your mind!

Scores for the May 27th exam are available.
MCAT Scores

You have no scores yet.

Soon to be words of irritation for us all, when we login to the THx page, and press refresh every 15 minutes... only to be welcomed by the above. Although, it's already become irritating for me. (I started the festivities a bit early.)

Soon to be words of irritation for us all, when we login to the THx page, and press refresh every 15 minutes... only to be welcomed by the above. Although, it's already become irritating for me. (I started the festivities a bit early.)​

i am not even playing the 'refresh' game. i'm waiting for the rest of you guys to tell me it's up. and then, at a snail-like pace, i will check my score after mustering up enough courage.

Hey guys I don't know how you are all holding up but i'm getting really anxious! I just want my scores already. If they're not up monday I don't know what i'm going to do. It's going to be hard for me to not play the refresh game all day long!

Good luck everyone! And good luck trying to ride out the waiting anxiety!

I'm going to be at work all day Monday AND Tuesday without access to the internet. I'm going to die.

From what it seems, the most recent examinations have had their scores released one day early at around 3:30 pm EST. So Monday afternoon/evening is likely when we'll get out scores. Enjoy your weekends and try to get the MCAT off your mind!

Except for us 27th'ers.... :scared:

well, even the 5/27'ers got the results "early" in a sense, right? In most cases the score release is said to be 31 days later, or a full month. But you guys got your results on 6/26, or 30 days later. For some reason, the tentative score release was already said to be 30 as opposed to 31 days.

For us, July 1 is 31 days after May 31, so im hoping we follow the same 30 day trend. For those that follow soccer, go spain. After my homies the lakers go thrashed, I need a consolation win hah.

well, even the 5/27'ers got the results "early" in a sense, right? In most cases the score release is said to be 31 days later, or a full month. But you guys got your results on 6/26, or 30 days later. For some reason, the tentative score release was already said to be 30 as opposed to 31 days.

For us, July 1 is 31 days after May 31, so im hoping we follow the same 30 day trend. For those that follow soccer, go spain. After my homies the lakers go thrashed, I need a consolation win hah.

I suppose if you used the 30 days (on that print out we get after the test) perpective then you are def. right about our's being "early." Heh, it still sucked waiting that "extra" day since everyone's scores were released on [tentative date - 1].

I suppose if you used the 30 days (on that print out we get after the test) perpective then you are def. right about our's being "early." Heh, it still sucked waiting that "extra" day since everyone's scores were released on [tentative date - 1].

hey libtech, saw your mdapps, congrats on your high scores. I WANT TO STOP HAVING DREAMS ABOUT THE MCAT AAAGGH! i have a dental appointment on monday, so hopefully when i come home i can find out what i got:D my prediction: 12 BS, 10 PS, 8 VR O. i hope i get that score, a 30 would be nice considering i didnt pace myself well on PS

Thanks mustymullet, dude all I wanted was a 30 to begin with.... I think you'll do better on PS and VR than you think. I've never gotten higher than 10 on ANY of my practice AAMC verbal sections, and ended up doing the best on the real thing.

crap! it's coming... RUN! *sigh, i don't want to take it again so please let me get a good score... actually, taking it over doesn't scare me so much. what does scare me is having to go through an anxiety-ridden 30 days all over again. :rolleyes:

crap! it's coming... RUN! *sigh, i don't want to take it again so please let me get a good score... actually, taking it over doesn't scare me so much. what does scare me is having to go through an anxiety-ridden 30 days all over again. :rolleyes:

These 30 days have been cake for me. The score is out of my hands, so I've found it easy to focus on other things. But this method is starting to breakdown as monday gets closer.