The African-American pre dent club! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkwash

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Hey what's up? Just made this so all the African American (Or African or Caribbean) applicants or current students can come together as one for support in this crazy admissions process.

I saw that the Indians had one so I thought it would be a good idea...anyone out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I would count - except I'm not really sure I'm pre-dental. It's just something I've thought about but I haven't decided.

i'm not AA, but can i join? i heard meharry and howard are good schools for AA's! yipee!

Members don't see this ad :)
Three-Oh said:
i'm not AA, but can i join? i heard meharry and howard are good schools for AA's! yipee!

of course! looks like it is a small group though...
:eek: :confused: ;)

I'm a proud new member of the AA pre-dental club (recently moved from pharmacy) and I will be needing tons of help!!!

Hopefully i can join, i will be going to Pitt dental in aug and i am AA, so if you guys have any questions about the process that i could help with let me know. And trust me, And you where not kiddin when you said this is a small group. You will find out its a small group when you go for interviews or when you get in. There isnt many african americans who want to be dentist and its really sad, so guys stick together and help each other out.

walt :luck:

princewalta said:
Hopefully i can join, i will be going to Pitt dental in aug and i am AA, so if you guys have any questions about the process that i could help with let me know. And trust me, And you where not kiddin when you said this is a small group. You will find out its a small group when you go for interviews or when you get in. There isnt many african americans who want to be dentist and its really sad, so guys stick together and help each other out.

Congrats on starting d-school, hope to be where you are at soon! You can help all us "newbies" get in somewhere!

Hey guys and dolls,

I haven't posted in awhile as I'm super busy this summer, but I'm AA and will be starting dental school in about 4 weeks. The AA community is very small in the "dental world" but it's great that more and more are becoming interested. Let me know if you have any questions, or would just like to vent your stresses in regards to the whole application process. Have a super day

Beach

BeachLuvr said:
Hey guys and dolls,

I haven't posted in awhile as I'm super busy this summer, but I'm AA and will be starting dental school in about 4 weeks. The AA community is very small in the "dental world" but it's great that more and more are becoming interested. Let me know if you have any questions, or would just like to vent your stresses in regards to the whole application process. Have a super day

Beach

Congrats on starting school soon, luck you, i still have about a month and a half before i begin. And as for everyone else, please use me and Beachluvr ( not to volunteer her for anything) to help you guys with this crazy time in your life. Also remember, if you guys are applying for schools that means you have done extremely well and should really be proud of yourself. I know how hard it is to even get this far. Keep it up and how everyone you mean business.

We only have 6 members so far (and i'm not even AA), phf...pathetic, there must be more AA's around. For the two members that are allready in dental school, where do you both go? Meharry or Howard by any chance?

What were your AADSAS GPA stats, and DAT scores? How much EC's did you have? What were your LOR's like? Any tips for the DAT? Just the usuall questions, so we can get to know you both better :)

count me in.... I am AA too! I applied everywhere and am praying for interviews! Congrats to you two that have already been accepted!

j

Three-Oh said:
We only have 6 members so far (and i'm not even AA), phf...pathetic, there must be more AA's around. For the two members that are allready in dental school, where do you both go? Meharry or Howard by any chance?

What were your AADSAS GPA stats, and DAT scores? How much EC's did you have? What were your LOR's like? Any tips for the DAT? Just the usuall questions, so we can get to know you both better :)

Hey! No, I go to neither Meharry or Howard, although I did apply to Meharry...a very nice bunch of people there. I actually go to UT-Houston in the Tex. Med. Center. I posted all of the stats that I had in my signature at the bottom of this post. I guess my LOR's were pretty good. I never did see what anyone had to say, but I trust them :) and all worked out well. I had letters from science professors, a dentist friend, and a dentist that I had observed. As far as the DAT...just do your best. Study hard, but keep everything in perspective. If you don't get what you wanted the first time, try again. I did it twice and I'm better for it. I know things are probably stressful right now, but in time, "this too shall pass."

BeachLuvr said:
Hey guys and dolls,

Beach

It really is a small community in the "dental world." I hope more and more become interested because there is a definite dearth of AA dental professionals. Take care and GOD bless.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can sign me up. I will be starting Meharry in August. If anybody has any questions, hit me up! Good Luck! :thumbup:

Is there anybody from Texas applying to any of the three Texas schools?

Congrats on your acceptance to Meharry!! I would love to be in your shoes!

j

Present! I am an AA female so I think that would make me part of an even smaller minority in the dental world. I am a newbie here (even though I have been viewing the site for the past two months) and have found the site to be quite useful. Reading through the differnt posts I have gotten even that much more motivated to pursue dentistry. It's a long road ahead...

Maybe Im wrong, but I thought there were more AA woman in dentistry than men.

rayray2fly said:

me too...I know that AA males are the real minority in this profession

Dentalhopeful said:
me too...I know that AA males are the real minority in this profession

you can say that again. If anyone has questions PM me. I am in my last year at UF and I am part of this exclusive club. I am applying to OMFS this year.

rayray2fly said:

at my school there were 9 AA and 5 were female. 3 gals and 1 dude just graduated and the incoming kids are like 3 gals and 1 dude... funny odds huh? there is 2 in the new senior class, 1 in the junior class, and 2 in the new 2nd year class. 9 out of about 312! = 2.8%

Without a doubt, AA females outnumber AA males in dental school and every other professional school for that matter. There are a myriad amount of reasons for this, but one largely looming one is the amount of AA males who enter jail at some point in their lives. I think it is 8 out of 10. Then, 1 in 4 AA males are currently incarcerated. I could be wrong, but I think these stats are accurate.

You could argue further and include lack of interest in education and more interest in sports and entertainment or lack of role models or lack of opportunity, etc (pick one).

If these trends continue, the future of the black male is endangered and not just in dentistry. Take care and GOD bless.

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/42_women_professional_studies.html

grant555 said:
Without a doubt, AA females outnumber AA males in dental school and every other professional school for that matter. There are a myriad amount of reasons for this, but one largely looming one is the amount of AA males who enter jail at some point in their lives. I think it is 8 out of 10. Then, 1 in 4 AA males are currently incarcerated. I could be wrong, but I think these stats are accurate.

You could argue further and include lack of interest in education and more interest in sports and entertainment or lack of role models or lack of opportunity, etc (pick one).

If these trends continue, the future of the black male is endangered and not just in dentistry. Take care and GOD bless.

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/42_women_professional_studies.html

so how do we fix the problem?

jay228 said:
so how do we fix the problem?

It depends on who you ask? If you ask Bill O'Reilly, he will point to a lack of discipline, poor families, and crime. If you ask Al Sharpton, he probably will agree with the discipline part of the problem, but add cultural awareness, religion, and racism.

My own personal opinion is that it must start in elementary school because by high school, underachieving students are at a serious disadvantage to catch up. I would also point to discipline, family, and a closer relationship with GOD.

Realistically, more can be accomplished if students are encouraged or helped in the earlier stages. I have read a few books on this issue and the predominate logic seems to be that if students don't "get it" by the 5th grade, they usually never do, which explains how someone would graduate high school with a 3rd or 5th grade reading level.

In other words, by that time frame, students will either turn the corner and continue to learn or fall between the cracks.

The problem is that inner city schools fall way behind other schools in preparation, teacher certification, and student support. I have seen first-hand how students are ill-prepared for college work.

Let's go further. Suppose a student does make it through the substandard school system and the other obstacles to make it to a university campus.

Many of these same entering freshmen will need remedial college work, so students have to spend time and money taking courses that do not count towards degree credit. Because extra time and "money" is required to get on par with other students in the same classification, these students are much more likely to dropout due to frustration and lack of money.

This was detailed in the book, "The Pact," and is a perpetual problem for many minority students.

I am not pessimistic, but pragmatic and think that it will take some years and a great deal of change to reverse these trends. Moreover, minority serving institutions like Howard are taking steps to help solve this problem. See HERE

I really believe that it is up to AA's to do it ourselves and not wait for anyone else to come and save us. Only Jesus can do that. Take care and GOD bless.

Thanks for starting this new thread!

Last edited:
Grant: I severely disagree with you on the Jesus/God part, Christianity I think is one of man's worst "inventions" if you will, or manifestation of spirituailty...

what makes me really sad is how seemingly insurmountable this AA social problem is, and I can't even wrap my mind around any sort of a possible solution...

jay228 said:
Grant: I severely disagree with you on the Jesus/God part, Christianity I think is one of man's worst "inventions" if you will, or manifestation of spirituailty...

what makes me really sad is how seemingly insurmountable this AA social problem is, and I can't even wrap my mind around any sort of a possible solution...

It is a personal decision to accept or not accept Christ, and I will not debate you on that. However, I at one time expressed similar dismay as you have and asked an elder for direction. He just happened to be a retired AA orthodontist from Howard no less, and he told me that worrying solves nothing, take action.

He was correct, and so simple was the answer. The way I see it, you can do three things: ignore the problems, become angry, or do something about it. I think the latter is the best option and the most productive in closing the gaps that we have been discussing. As a future professional, you will be in a unique position to mentor others, which can be very rewarding. There is always room for change. Take care and GOD bless.

So on a different note . . . why did all of you decide to pursue dentistry as opposed to some other health profession?

bknycgrl said:
So on a different note . . . why did all of you decide to pursue dentistry as opposed to some other health profession?

For me, it was a combination of reading about the profession, observation time at dental offices, and ability to make a positive difference. The latter could be said about many professions, but I am confident that dentistry is the right choice for me, or I would've never taken the time and money needed to get to this point.

Take care and GOD bless.

GatorDMD said:
at my school there were 9 AA and 5 were female. 3 gals and 1 dude just graduated and the incoming kids are like 3 gals and 1 dude... funny odds huh? there is 2 in the new senior class, 1 in the junior class, and 2 in the new 2nd year class. 9 out of about 312! = 2.8%

I have a question, I understand that there are various factors that contribute to there being a low number of AA males in dental schools, but do you all feel that the fact that at most institutions, AA's have to supposedly be 'ten times better' in order to gain acceptance contributes to the low number of AA males in dentistry schools. The fact that the numbers are so low is strange to me because I hear of many AA males applying in my area and both Howard and Meharry recive over 1,000 applictions a year and I bet many of these are from AA males. Enlighten Me.

Howard Hopeful

rayray2fly said:

Thinking about it, I think you are right. My comment may apply to other things. But nevertheless, I gotta get myself together...

rayray2fly said:
I have a question, I understand that there are various factors that contribute to there being a low number of AA males in dental schools, but do you all feel that the fact that at most institutions, AA's have to supposedly be 'ten times better' in order to gain acceptance contributes to the low number of AA males in dentistry schools. The fact that the numbers are so low is strange to me because I hear of many AA males applying in my area and both Howard and Meharry recive over 1,000 applictions a year and I bet many of these are from AA males. Enlighten Me.

Howard Hopeful

I have heard this mantra about AA' s having to be 10 times better than others to succeed, but I have mixed feelings about it.

Personally, I think it is counterproductive for one group to constantly have to compare themselves to another group. Most instructors I had in college were brutal and would fail your a** whether you were white or black, which left little time for social positioning. I am not negating the presence of racism, but sometimes too much credit and emphasis is placed on this when success is not achieved.

In other words, I am always trying to be 10 times better than I was in order to constantly improve, which leaves little time for comparisons to others. Maybe this is narrow-minded or arrogant thinking on my part, but I just don't measure myself by what others are doing.

Take care and GOD bless.

I just completed my first year at Meharry. For those who are coming here, I couldn't ask for a better dental school. The professors really care and really want the students to succeed. But, of course, every school has their strengths and weaknesses. We just had our Board exams--so glad it's over. Headed to Las Vegas next week for the annual NDA/SNDA convention. Anyone else going? Best wishes to everyone who gained an acceptance this year.

Was up my niggaz! It's a pleasure that fellow black men (and women) can unite in such a great cause!

Darby_O'Gill said:
Was up my niggaz! It's a pleasure that fellow black men (and women) can unite in such a great cause!

Why would you use such a derogatory term on this website? I am astonished. I really am. Please don't ever use that word again here. It is in poor taste. Take care and GOD bless.

grant555 said:

Why would you use such a derogatory term on this website? I am astonished. I really am. Please don't ever use that word again here. It is in poor taste. Take care and GOD bless.
My bad.

Last edited:
Dental Mom said:
I have never heard that if you are black you have to be 10 times better? :confused: Really? "Some" expect that?

I truly think that I'm applying at the right time in history. There's a great need for us minority people to be in the Health care system.

So with that and an awesome GPA-DAT, some University out there will take me :D

By some university I mean NOVA! 20 mins from my house! Yahoo!!!!! :laugh:

Which are the most popular schools for minority students?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

About 2 or 3 yrs ago, the Journal of Black Higher Education ran a story detailing that 70% of all AA physicians and dentists were graduates of Meharry and Howard.

However, I didn't apply to Howard or Meharry because of that, nor do I think every AA pre-med or pre-dent hopeful should automatically forward their respective applications to those schools because of those statistics alone.

At the same time, more AA students submit their SAT scores to Howard than any other university in the country. People attend college where they can afford tuition, succeed, and/or feel socially accepted.

However, I know of AA's who don't care for Howard or Meharry, which is their business. I respect their views and leave it at that. I am not paying their fees, so who am I to tell them where they should pursue their education?

If NOVA is right for you, then apply to NOVA and don't look back. At the end of the day, you will accomplish your goal and that is the most important thing. Take care and GOD bless.

Darby_O'Gill said:

Hey Gavin, can you please ban this ignorant poster from this forum.

grant555 said:

About 2 or 3 yrs ago, the Journal of Black Higher Education ran a story detailing that 70% of all AA physicians and dentists were graduates of Meharry and Howard.

However, I didn't apply to Howard or Meharry because of that, nor do I think every AA pre-med or pre-dent hopeful should automatically forward their respective applications to those schools because of those statistics alone.

At the same time, more AA students submit their SAT scores to Howard than any other university in the country. People attend college where they can afford tuition, succeed, and/or feel socially accepted.

However, I know of AA's who don't care for Howard or Meharry, which is their business. I respect their views and leave it at that. I am not paying their fees, so who am I to tell them where they should pursue their education?

If NOVA is right for you, then apply to NOVA and don't look back. At the end of the day, you will accomplish your goal and that is the most important thing. Take care and GOD bless.

Thanks!!!!!!!!! Where are you going to school now?

grant555 said:

ditto

FutureDMD said:
I just completed my first year at Meharry. For those who are coming here, I couldn't ask for a better dental school. The professors really care and really want the students to succeed. But, of course, every school has their strengths and weaknesses. We just had our Board exams--so glad it's over. Headed to Las Vegas next week for the annual NDA/SNDA convention. Anyone else going? Best wishes to everyone who gained an acceptance this year.

i will be in Vegas!

Dental Mom said:
:

Which are the most popular schools for minority students?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

not NOVA. check out how many AA they put out in the last few years. My friend just graduated there and there was not any in his class.

bkwash said:
:) Hey what's up? Just made this so all the African American (Or African or Caribbean) applicants or current students can come together as one for support in this crazy admissions process.

I saw that the Indians had one so I thought it would be a good idea...anyone out there?

yeah man I am an AAM trying to get into dental school I work at a private practice dentist office once a week and I have a 3.4 G.P.A but I have only taking two required classes so far but I am taking three next semester, I will be one step closer.

GatorDMD said:
not NOVA. check out how many AA they put out in the last few years. My friend just graduated there and there was not any in his class.

Not one in the entire class. I did not know that. Wow. Take care and GOD bless.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I am an AA female and I interested in attending dental school at Meharry. Future DMD i have especially enjoyed reading your comments and I really need your advice on a situation related to the application process.I tried to send you a message but it did not go through. I will try again later because your advice about my situation is desperately needed.I think Meharry is such a wonderful school and I just want to optimize my chances for being accepted.

Thanks,
ClassyDMD2B10