The Agony and the Irony (Georgetown interview story) comments?

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
1,209
24
37
NJ
Status
Hi guys...

Been a long time since I posted, but mostly because I'm too neurotic to read this board anymore.

Anyway, another year done and another year reapplying. I interviewed at Georgetown medical school this year, and I'll admit I was nervous. The doc really grilled me with physiology and questions about medicine and healthcare. I tried to maintain my composure, take a breath and wait a few seconds before answering questions. Interview over, and 2 months later I receive my rejection. I talk with an advisor at Georgetown from the SMP program about my feedback. Turns out I nailed the questions, but the interviewer said I lacked enthusiasm BECAUSE I TALKED TOO SLOW!!! For the past 2 years I have been trying to learn to restrain myself upon being interviewed, and not jumping at each question. I finally cool myself down and I lack enthusiasm?! SWEET MOTHER MARY that killed me. So I don't think that's necessarily a comment on how to act, but I thought it was an interesting story.


So, I'm not even sure how to act anymore.
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Timmythemic22 said:
Hi guys...

Been a long time since I posted, but mostly because I'm too neurotic to read this board anymore.

Anyway, another year done and another year reapplying. I interviewed at Georgetown medical school this year, and I'll admit I was nervous. The doc really grilled me with physiology and questions about medicine and healthcare. I tried to maintain my composure, take a breath and wait a few seconds before answering questions. Interview over, and 2 months later I receive my rejection. I talk with an advisor at Georgetown from the SMP program about my feedback. Turns out I nailed the questions, but the interviewer said I lacked enthusiasm BECAUSE I TALKED TOO SLOW!!! For the past 2 years I have been trying to learn to restrain myself upon being interviewed, and not jumping at each question. I finally cool myself down and I lack enthusiasm?! SWEET MOTHER MARY that killed me. So I don't think that's necessarily a comment on how to act, but I thought it was an interesting story.


So, I'm not even sure how to act anymore.
That just shows you how all interviewers are not looking for the same characteristics.
I think the one characteristic that most people do want to see someone has is enthusiasm (not saying that you were not enthusiastic). When you answered the questions did you smile or seem happy?
 

BozoSparky

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
469
6
Status
Attending Physician
i really don't see how grilling an applicant about physiology and healthcare helps determine one's suitablility for medicine...
 

epic1044

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
9
0
Status
Medical Student
BozoSparky said:
i really don't see how grilling an applicant about physiology and healthcare helps determine one's suitablility for medicine...
You're missing the point. There are two reasons I can think of for asking questions like that. First, they're not interested in hearing you spit back something you memorized once. They're looking to see how you think on your feet, and if you can intelligently address a difficult question that you lack the facts for. Second, they might be interested to see if you're sentient about the more important current events in health care. For example, whether you've heard about the vaccine for HPV, the virus that causes cervical cancer. Or, whether you know what a prion is -- infectious naked protein.

In other words, those "science" questions can give them insight into your thinking and your interest.
 

owenmichael

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
269
0
Status
I interviewed at Georgetown this past year and found my interviewer to be the rudest, most pretentious, arrogant prick I had ever met. I have heard nothing but bad things about interview experiences from my friends that interviewed their (some awkard interactions w/ arrogant, unfriendly students). At one point my interviewer yelled at me and questioned huge portions of my application. (i.e. I was interested in international health and had alot of international public health experience). It was quite a contrast from most other schools and I quickly decided that there was no chance in hell I was going there after acceptance. That being said, I think my story may be an example of Georgetown interview strategy (stress you out, see how you respond) or shows how nitpicky certain schools are. Good luck applying, and I hope you get into a school isn't stupid enough to reject you for "talking to slow". Only at Georgetown....
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
heeseop said:
ok, note to self: don't apply to georgetown :scared:

you're joking right?...man up dawg!!!!!!

you will have to deal with tougher situations than that in med school and def. in residency
 

dsprague12

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2005
193
0
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
since i already applied there....note to self: become the HULK :) --> :mad:
My interviewer at Georgetown was very nice and told me that the interview went well... Didn't get in though.

I'm sure no matter where you interview you're bound to have a different experience than others in your group. And doing poorly or well in an interview doesn't necessarily seal your fate one way or the other.
 
1

101441

heeseop said:
ok, note to self: don't apply to georgetown :scared:
Don't let a couple of bad anecdotes scare you away from a place. I'd heard all the nasty rumors about the arrogance of Georgetown, too, and was pleasantly surprised to have had an extremely warm, pleasant interviewer. My time with her was more of a pleasant conversation than anything else, and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. She called me personally to extend me an offer of admission about a month later. Not going there, but I can say that there are dorks at every medical school, and there may even be a lot of them at Georgetown, but I had a great experience and thought the people were very nice. Like I said, don't let someone else's isolated experience frighten you from an entire school.
 

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
2,343
5
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
veddhead said:
Don't let a couple of bad anecdotes scare you away from a place. I'd heard all the nasty rumors about the arrogance of Georgetown, too, and was pleasantly surprised to have had an extremely warm, pleasant interviewer. My time with her was more of a pleasant conversation than anything else, and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all.
Maybe she had the hots for you.
 

owenmichael

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
269
0
Status
Rafa said:
Maybe she had the hots for you.
Hahaha yea sorry. I don't mean to give Georgetown a bad rep. Its just that I don't feel like my interview experience was isolated... I felt like I have heard of bad interview experiences at Georgetown more than any other school.
There were several other things that bothered me about the school (besides the ridiculous price), including Mrs. Sullivan's (who came off as condescending to me) obsession with Georgetown's reputation on SDN.

Again though, I wanna stress that EVERYONE has a different interview experience. So maybe my experience was atypical.
 
OP
Timmythemic22

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
1,209
24
37
NJ
Status
I want to echo the previous sentiments.

I in no way want to discourage people from applying to Georgetown (in fact, I'm reapplying this year). I do agree that one of the tactics may have been to put pressure on me until I crack. I have never been on one of those interview types before that time, so I know that is why I am so put off. I do feel more prepared now, and feel better off for the experience (though not better off being rejected). Either way, I still think it's a fantastic school, I just hope I don't get that doc again.
 

scrubs2010

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
11
0
Status
i think it all depends on who your interviewer is...mine just asked me why medicine? and from then on, we had a conversation about the healthcare field and other medically-related activities/issues..I had about 8 other interviews at other schools and some of the doctors just gave me death stares as i was answering their questions..one even dozed off and then challenged anything that i said...and these doctors were from the top medical schools...

I've heard from student reps and even other interviewers that they are just testing you to see how you react and whether or not you can compose yourself in an uneasy situation. Just breathe and be honest. They can DEFINITELY tell when you are BSing or not..and remember, take any advice or rumors of a school/student body with a grain of salt..it really depends on the person and whether or not they click with the interviewers and students..Good luck! :luck:
 

Mr. Itchy

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
103
0
Status
Medical Student
If I get interviewed at Georgetown I will kill 'em with kindness. :love:


On a side note, ability to deal with arrogant prick doctors is probably a good skill to possess! :rolleyes:
 

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
1,252
1
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
Mr. Itchy said:
On a side note, ability to deal with arrogant prick doctors is probably a good skill to possess! :rolleyes:
Amen to that.

I think that the only way to truly be successful in med school interviews (or perhaps all interviews) is to be able to firmly yet appropriately handle arrant arrogance.

Either way, to the OP, don't feel down. Everyone wants something different. Just try to be yourself and hope for hte best.
-Dr. P.
 

rajad10

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
646
1
33
Status
Medical Student
in the words of smashing pumpkins' billy corgan, i'll disarm you with a smile

apply and "kill them with kindness"