The art of sucking it up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysk1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Usually if there's something difficult or unpleasant I tend to avoid it by procrastinating or doing things that can help me escape from the world to forget about it for some time. (ex. reading a fictional book or playing a computer game)
But there are some people in the world who can just suck it up no matter how scary or nasty some situations or tasks are and get them done and out of their way without delaying.
How do they do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Different outlook, maybe. There are three choices when things are nasty - ignore them, let them eat at you, or just pull through them and keep moving forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
gee. what could you be talking about?

by being a stoner.

jk.

idk how they do it.

people who do that are usually responsible for more than themselves

by sucking up

I think that some perspective will help most students realize they don't actually have it too bad. I know a lot of my friends always complain about studying and how difficult/stressful school is; but really if they compare their life style with other people in the world who REALLY have to work hard just to survive or make money, and what not, they would realize that they are lucky to be able to go to school and study and such.

So whenever i'm wretching about doing work or whatnot I try to think about stuff like that;

starbucks and upbeat music on the mp3 player also help significantly :]

i use the following method. as bad as any problem is, at least im not in prison. watch Oz. prison is real bad. no debt, no exam is worse. with that i smile and work through the problem.

The guilt and angst that procrastination produces is almost invariably way more intolerable than just getting your **** done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually if there's something difficult or unpleasant I tend to avoid it by procrastinating or doing things that can help me escape from the world to forget about it for some time. (ex. reading a fictional book or playing a computer game)
But there are some people in the world who can just suck it up no matter how scary or nasty some situations or tasks are and get them done and out of their way without delaying.
How do they do that?

You begin to have faith in yourself and your choices. Genuine faith. That faith lets you truly enjoy the choices you make and the process of carrying them through.

On a side note, sometimes I really think that a little smack on the side of the head or kick in the shins would be incredibly beneficial to some of the patients I see. Obviously I'm totally kidding and being ridiculous because I would never hurt a patient. It just seems like sometimes everyone needs to be physically stimulated to get out of their own heads and gain some perspective.

What is it that distinguishes people who can bear significant pain with grace and those who cannot? I can't imagine that the difference is neurological or cerebral.

Please forgive me if this makes no sense I'm absolutely out of reserves.

The positivity of this thread makes me vomit, just a little bit, in my mouth.

Fear. You only get away with procrastinating so many times...eventually, there will come a time when it fails you and you really don't get something serious done. That sinking feeling in your stomach and failure will ensure you PROBABLY won't do it again. Or maybe you will. Some people just work better under pressure. Lots of it.

Suck it up, buttercup. That's my personal motto. If you can't roll with the punches, life is going to eat you alive.

It's okay to read some fiction or play video games to unwind...everyone does it.

The "art of sucking it up" seems to be an acquired trait, not inborn. You slowly learn that the short-term pain results in long-term success. As you progress through the weeder classes in undergrad, most people figure this out. Do I "like" pulling physics/o-chem study sessions multiple times per week? Not really but I still did it.

for better or for worse, i've had four years of doing something i absolutely hated, and had to suck it up every single day... the next best thing to prison--the military. so, if anybody out there really thinks they have a debilitating case of procrastination, then join the military and have them pick what job you will do for your sentence (enlistment). you will learn to 'suck it up', or you will fail at life. one of those trial by fire situations. as i'm sure this is not very appealing considering what the forum is for, try to imagine really really hard what this could be like. don't imagine full metal jacket or saving private ryan or any other movie--try to imagine it for real. then maybe you can find the strength to continue being a hoop-jumping student that will one day become a physician.

i am not sure if that helps, but i feel better.
(i've always wanted to do this)
/rant

Fear. You only get away with procrastinating so many times...eventually, there will come a time when it fails you and you really don't get something serious done. That sinking feeling in your stomach and failure will ensure you PROBABLY won't do it again. Or maybe you will. Some people just work better under pressure. Lots of it.

QFT

I hate that feeling. :thumbdown:

well just bc u procrastinate doesn't mean you're not "sucking it up". if you get to it, eventually, that just means you probably work well under pressure.. and people who "roll with the punches" are probably type A personalities- the idea of NOT getting something done is more terrifying than actually dealing with it.

i'm just like you. i try to avoid things i don't want to do as long as possible. an example, i had a parking ticket issued from my school, and instead of paying for it when it was due, i just ignored the letters... until 5 months later when a 25$ ticket escalated into a 125$. lol.

often times, i mistakenly believe if i ignore something, it'll go away on its own. obviously, this isn't the case. oh well =[

How do they do that?

usually comes from experience. the pain of failure (being late, etc) can be pretty intense.

example: my city is NOTORIOUS for being tough on parking. if your car is parked for one minute longer than your meter covers, boom, they got you. i used to get so mad when i would be over by <3 minutes and would come out to find a ticket.... i'd shove it in my glovebox and forget about it. but then, after 10 days that $10 ticket becomes $25. for no reason other than it's late. so even though it hurts to pay $10 for what i consider a virtual non-infraction, it hurts a LOT more to pay $25 when i know it could have been $10.

now i try to carry quarters to always put lots of extra time on the meters. but when i get tickets i pay them promptly.