The Berkeley Review 2018 books - how different are they? Are they worth the price?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretty_positron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TBR has always been my favorite source of immersive over-information. It gave me a rich understanding of the subject matter. It's definitely something for when you have ample time before your exam.

I would like to know how the newer 2018 versions have changed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the old ones but went ahead and bought the newer ones for physics, chemistry, orgo, and biology. I'm glad I did mostly because I had done many of the passages in the older books. To me it felt like about half of the passages were new, which I appreciated. I agree with the posters above. If you have the budget, then get the newest ones for the sciences. I would not recommend their psych book. Their CARS book is okay if you need more passages.

I had the old ones but went ahead and bought the newer ones for physics, chemistry, orgo, and biology. I'm glad I did mostly because I had done many of the passages in the older books. To me it felt like about half of the passages were new, which I appreciated. I agree with the posters above. If you have the budget, then get the newest ones for the sciences. I would not recommend their psych book. Their CARS book is okay if you need more passages.
Why would you not recommend their Psych book?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, let me clarify:
Re: TBR's Psychology book.
1. It lacks a sociology section. As a standalone resource, it is incomplete for the Psych/Soc subsection of the MCAT.
2. What it does cover in Psych, it covers in too much detail and depth. If you have the requisite test taking skills, and need to know every little thing in Psych to achieve a 132, this will do it. But of course, see #1, so must be supplemented to cover Sociology.

As you said before, I too consider Khan Academy 300pg notes is considered gold standard for the P/S subsection.. Better than any of the commercially available test prep books.

Unfortunately, I find it extremely difficult to study from a digital document. I have eyestrain issues. So I used a combination of TPR and TBR for this particular subsection with success.

If you buy the TBR full set, I would supplement with the Khan Academy document for sociology material. If not Khan Academy, then TPR's Psych/Soc book.

Honestly I bought EK, TPR, TBR and Kaplan. I found that Kaplan was the best by far for content. While TBR has a lot of passages it was way too dense and sometimes goes into too much detail.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that some chapters in the biology book were a bit detailed, but by and large I found it perfect for my MCAT. The MCAT is about thinking, and that is exactly what TBR makes you do. It's hard to see just how helpful it is until AFTER you take the MCAT.

For content review, as long as you cross-reference the LATEST AAMC MCAT guide, you may be fine with older versions of the books. You'll just need to omit certain subjects from the old books (such as solids in the physics book.) You'll be short on biochemistry material. We made a major change to the second organic chemistry book by incorporating a significant amount of biochemistry.

The big difference between the older books and the newer books is found in the passages, particularly in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics. The newest books (2016 or later) contain several new passages as well as many that were revamped to have more research theory and logic-driven questions. The amount of pure math questions was reduced. We also made a concerted effort to have more topic-mixing, where for instance, the gases section in general chemistry has passages on gas effusion as it applies to a lung system. There is a great deal of physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology incorporated into the general chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry passages in the current books.

Overall, if you can afford to get the newer books (or at least some of them), you really should. To save money, you can look for them used. You can find them used for a good price if you are patient and check SDN classifieds on a daily basis. Typically, the market gets flooded right after scores are released and people know for sure they don't need to study again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Extremely in-depth. Great if you have trouble understanding Psych, or are aiming for a 132, but for most it is overkill.

I want overkill.

NOT OP but - I think the 300-page KA notes with the Khan videos and passages is pretty darn gold standard nowadays for the Psych section!

Extra practice can't hurt - but the psych book does not currently (as of jan 2018) include sociology.

Khan Academy? I hate videos, I only like books. But the "300-page KA notes" sound interesting. Are those from some user or is it from KA themselves?

Sorry, let me clarify:
Re: TBR's Psychology book.
1. It lacks a sociology section. As a standalone resource, it is incomplete for the Psych/Soc subsection of the MCAT.
2. What it does cover in Psych, it covers in too much detail and depth. If you have the requisite test taking skills, and need to know every little thing in Psych to achieve a 132, this will do it. But of course, see #1, so must be supplemented to cover Sociology.

As you said before, I too consider Khan Academy 300pg notes is considered gold standard for the P/S subsection.. Better than any of the commercially available test prep books.

Unfortunately, I find it extremely difficult to study from a digital document. I have eyestrain issues. So I used a combination of TPR and TBR for this particular subsection with success.

If you buy the TBR full set, I would supplement with the Khan Academy document for sociology material. If not Khan Academy, then TPR's Psych/Soc book.

Oh thank you, this post was most illuminating. Makes a lot more sense now. :)

more research theory and logic-driven questions. The amount of pure math questions was reduced.

This is particularly what I am looking for. I took the old MCAT and am used to the pure math questions as I am a Physics major. The new one however is a completely different ballgame - which is ironic because it's mostly Biochem and that is another one of my majors, but only because of intersecting classes not because I am particularly good at Biochem. I know what I am not good at and that is Biology, and that seems to be the format of all of the research/lab-based questions.

I spoke with a TBR representative whom I got immediately after calling the company named Dori. She was extremely friendly, knowledgable, and down to earth. Dori told me that the new books have the same basic material, but slightly refined compared to the 2011ish books. In the physics book for example, they took out the solids sections and added more practice problems. That is a theme for all the books, they took out irrelevant stuff for the new mcat and instead added more practice problems. She also told me the TBR refined their descriptions to the answers as well. I would recommend contacting them if you have any questions, their number can be found on their website.

@BerkReviewTeach can you give a rundown please on which of the phases in post 2015 books are more "test like" and which ones are more concept based?

One of the things we tried to do with the organic chemistry, general chemistry, and physics books in the latest printing was to categorize the passages, new and old, to get three more distinct phases. Phase I is meant for repetition and review of the content specific in that section, with very few questions coming from other subjects. Phase II is filled with longer, often more convoluted passages that have some questions from other sections, but the main goal of these is to stress out your timing. Phase III mixes everything (and is an actual review exam in general chemistry and physics) and is the most useful in terms of MCAT skill development. There are some passages where reading may not be useful at all, and instead, you have to interpret data to answer the questions. The goal is to keep you on your toes. The biggest thing in the latest version is that the answer explanations are even more detailed ad at time we explain the reasoning behind why we chose to ask the question the way we did.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
One of the things we tried to do with the organic chemistry, general chemistry, and physics books in the latest printing was to categorize the passages, new and old, to get three more distinct phases. Phase I is meant for repetition and review of the content specific in that section, with very few questions coming from other subjects. Phase II is filled with longer, often more convoluted passages that have some questions from other sections, but the main goal of these is to stress out your timing. Phase III mixes everything (and is an actual review exam in general chemistry and physics) and is the most useful in terms of MCAT skill development. There are some passages where reading may not be useful at all, and instead, you have to interpret data to answer the questions. The goal is to keep you on your toes. The biggest thing in the latest version is that the answer explanations are even more detailed ad at time we explain the reasoning behind why we chose to ask the question the way we did.

I hope this helps.

yes, thanks. Also, will you guys ever hire a real editor to fix the extremely numerous number of errors (grammatical, spelling, wrong words, left out words, etc...)?

Members don't see this ad :)

I hope this helps.

I LOVE your science books! You saved my butt this summer. I found the phases to be perfect for me as I learn more grading a phase than anything. Going over the answers to phase 1 helped me for Phase 2 and the same for 3. One suggestion though. For phase 3 in physics and chemistry, can you give advanced warning to not do those until you're completely done with the book. I got bounced by some of your phase 3 passages on subjects I had not studied at all.

For content review, as long as you cross-reference the LATEST AAMC MCAT guide, you may be fine with older versions of the books. You'll just need to omit certain subjects from the old books (such as solids in the physics book.) You'll be short on biochemistry material. We made a major change to the second organic chemistry book by incorporating a significant amount of biochemistry.

The big difference between the older books and the newer books is found in the passages, particularly in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics. The newest books (2016 or later) contain several new passages as well as many that were revamped to have more research theory and logic-driven questions. The amount of pure math questions was reduced. We also made a concerted effort to have more topic-mixing, where for instance, the gases section in general chemistry has passages on gas effusion as it applies to a lung system. There is a great deal of physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology incorporated into the general chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry passages in the current books.

Overall, if you can afford to get the newer books (or at least some of them), you really should. To save money, you can look for them used. You can find them used for a good price if you are patient and check SDN classifieds on a daily basis. Typically, the market gets flooded right after scores are released and people know for sure they don't need to study again.

Hey, I took the MCAT back in summer 2017 and used the 2015/2016 editions of the books (some say 2015, some say 2016). The biology pair of books has 10 total chapters; organic chemistry has 8 total chapters; General chemistry has 12 total chapters; and physics has 10 total chapters.

I'm planning on taking the exam this coming January, in 2020. Do you think I'd be fine using these older TBR books?
The first time I took the exam, I worked through all of the books. It's been 2 years since I've looked at them. Do you think I'll be okay going through them again and redoing the passages?

Also, do the newer additions of the books (I see you have up to a 2019 edition now) contain different practice passages?

I know it's been 2 years since I took the exam, but looking back at some old CARS passages I used, they are STILL somewhat familiar to me. I get a strange sentimental feeling from just reading the first few sentences of some of the passages

EDIT: I saw that the newer additions do have some new passages. But do you think there are enough new ones that it would warrant me buying a whole set of newer edition books? I'm just a little worried about redoing passages that I've already done in the past

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I bought EK, TPR, TBR and Kaplan. I found that Kaplan was the best by far for content. While TBR has a lot of passages it was way too dense and sometimes goes into too much detail.

How did you end up doing on the MCAT relying on Kaplan?

Also, do the newer additions of the books (I see you have up to a 2019 edition now) contain different practice passages?

Good question. I’d be interested in hearing from the Berkeley Review rep.

@BerkReviewTeach I'm asking because I purchased the 2018 versions of TBR books and I'm wondering whether it makes sense to purchase the 2019 versions in order to get more passage review. This only makes sense if the 2019 versions have different passages.

Last edited:
For me, if I had 2015 and 2016 books I'd get new ones. I used 2018 books and could not have been happier with how the sections I used TBR for went. I would not buy new 2019 ones however.

For me, if I had 2015 and 2016 books I'd get new ones. I used 2018 books and could not have been happier with how the sections I used TBR for went. I would not buy new 2019 ones however.

Do you think the passages between the books are all that different though?

@PlsLetMeIn21 I always see you mentioning how TBR saved your life and I just purchased the 2018 set! Was wondering if you'd be able to PM me your study schedule?

I built my schedule around their 12-week plan in the back of the physics book (maybe general chem book.) I didn't set daily lists like so many people do. I instead made a list of what I wanted to accomplish for the week. My test was on a Tuesday, so I started my weekly plan on Wednesday. I wrote my weekly plan for each week on Wednesday. What I personally liked about doing it this way is that I could stay with a topic when I needed to or was really enjoying it and it helped avoid daily burnout. I sometimes did phase 1 and 2 back to back. I think too many people overemphasize making a schedule, especially when you end of getting off schedule most days. I set a goal of finishing all my books except CARS in six weeks, the AAMC materials in two weeks, and dedicated the last four weeks to FLs and random other materials.