the berkeley review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any comments on the berkeley review? how would you compare it to other test prep courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to hear some opinions about this, too. Particularly, how does it compare to Princeton Review?

I haven't had the actual course, but I've been studying with the books these past few months, and I like them a lot. I studied with Kaplan last time and I like Berkeley a lot better. There are a lot more practice passages and the review is a lot more in depth and explains things better. But like I said, I haven't had the course. I just like the books.

I haven't taken their course. But there books are are accurate measures of scores for me, and their exams are realistic.
I haven't had a good ex perience with the limited PR material i used.
There is a minor problem with berkely review that occasionally they have weird... incorrect, explanations in their answers. but, on the whole they are great .

sonya

Members don't see this ad :)
I have Berkeley Review's set...and here's my take:
The science is covered well and thoroughly. Passages are pretty in-depth and often require knowledge that the MCAT does not. Verbal passages are not the best...answers lack the mcat feel. Answer choices are often too brief and questions too straight forward. I think their verbal passages are pretty comparable to Kaplan's.
While I think Berkeley review is decent, I've got to say that Examkrackers is quite a bit better. You can study berkeley review and do well...I think other posters have made this pretty obvious. I do also think though that you can study with examkrackers and do the same thing in much less time. This is a result of their deliberate research of and exclusion of things that are not necessary for MCAT.
I have no experience with PR.

Hudson:

I'm not sure what deliberate research you are referring to, but I can only assume that all companies do their due dilligence. I have tutored for a few years, so I have been exposed to materials from all the various sources. I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison of EK to BR.

Here is a specific example:

• If you look at the AAMC Practice Items, page 36-37, you'll see a passage on an engine and refrigerator. In my estimation, this makes such a topic a viable subject for the MCAT. Granted, I do not have the most recent version of BR's books, but the version I have gives a concise explanation of engines and refrigerators, addressing all of the facts that would be useful in answering the AAMC questions. In EK general chemistry materials I find a confusing discussion that reads exactly like a physics book.

This is just one of many examples I have found over the course of tutoring. The thing I really like about BR books is that the passages amke you think and teach you test strategy. I often find that EK questions try to trick you. The answers a brief and have an air of "I tricked you again" to them. I think it is critical for students to read answers that make them better able to solve questions of that ilk in the future.

And while I have no statistics (because they likely don't exist), it seems that BR students here get great scores. So do some EK students, but it just seems that BR students post short "I did well and now I'm applying" messages. It doesn't read like the ramblings of a cult member. I guess I will always be a bit suspicious of messages from people who haven't yet taken the MCAT saying things like "it's the most MCAT realistic."

We all have our own opinions for our own reasons. I just think the BR materials are the best "teaching tool." Not too verbose and not so concise that they omit key material.

Is the only way to get the Berkeley Review materials through taking a class? (I am still trying to decide if I want to take a class, period.)

You can order the books from berkeley review's site alone. You will likely pay a hefty price for shipping.

Mudd:
Certainly there are going to be a few things that end up being on the mcat that examkracker's does not present in their books. You should never simply "assume that test companies are doing their due diligence" because most are not. You simply cannot assume companies know the MCAT simply because they have published a book on it...just as I am not to assume that you are some guru of MCAT because you've tutored for a few years.
The fact of the matter is that Berkeley Review is not a huge test company nor do they typically cater to the needs of students at Podunk Universities across America. I would submit that their primary population of students scored at least 30 on the ACT and have done well in premed at relatively prestigious schools. Is it any wonder that they do well on the MCAT? No. Certainly there are exceptions...as is always the case. What really needs to be considered when researching test companies is the amount of improvement the students see over the period of preparation. Examkrackers says that their students usually start with scores of 18 (on average)....and end up (on average) scoring 30. I'm almost certain Berkeley Review students start (on average) in the mid to low twenties. My point is...that Berkeley Review students are generally not examkracker students. So.. to say "well I've only heard good things about berkeley review" is not necessarily a commendation of the "superior" materials but rather (in my opinion) the intelligence of the test takers and the level of performance their respective schools require of them.

i am taking the BR course right now and i must say, we are the most intelligent ones taking the april mcat....i agree =)..lol. j/k.

the BR tests are pretty hard in my opinion, and at times can be frustrating (esp while grading the sections)..but, it makes the aamc 3-6 seem a lot easier once you've become used to the BR practice tests...it also scares the $hit out of you when you find out how you do on the BR practice tests, so you're more willing to work that much harder to make sure you know the material too...

the way the BR practice tests work, is that they really make you manipulate formulas and numbers quickly...otherwise, you won't finish. on the real aamc material , the calculations and manipulations arent nearly as hard, so it makes time less of an issue...

verbal isn't a super accurate reflection of the aamc material, but it does help with timing...i try not to worry about the accuracy on the BR tests as i do with aamc VR sections...

going through the workbooks can be a pain in the @ss, but if you stick with it, it really pays off...(or lets hope it does on the real thing )..

hope this helps...

g'luck to everyone..peace.

hudsontc,
EK's success is on the basis of presenting basic science concepts and assuming the student has enough intelligence & test taking skills to apply that knowledge to various situations, without having each situation spelled out for them, saving a ton of time and not spreading students too thing... for example notice how many times it says ..."but it will be explained in a passage"
BR, on the other hand, explains every possible way a ? can be tested on the MCAT. I guess both ways have their strengths and depends on how many hours you have to prepare for the test...but if anything, EK is most effective for above-avg students...

Originally posted by Steinway
EK's success is on the basis of presenting basic science concepts and assuming the student has enough intelligence & test taking skills to apply that knowledge to various situations, without having each situation spelled out for them, saving a ton of time and not spreading students too thin.

BR, on the other hand, explains every possible way a question can be tested on the MCAT.

That is a perfect explanation. I never thought about it that way, but that's it exactly.

EK gives a well written review of a topic and then a few tricky questions, figuring a smart student who can work their way through the questions has the material down.

BR also gives a well written review of a topic, but they show how it incorporates into other subjects. They spend many words giving examples how topics can be fused. And you are so right about the overload of questions. It seems that every question is repeated several different ways, ranging from easy (straight memorization) to complicated (vague and hidden).

Personally, I think overkill is safer than underkill, but there are definitely people out there who can do quite well with the underkill method.

As for the course, I hear that if you get the owner as a teacher, you'll have a great class.

hmgcoa:
Where are you taking the class?

what would you guys who either took the BR course or are taking it now say about the full length exams? i bought 4 of them and i am taking sections from them and they seem very difficult and different from aamc questions. did you find that your scores on those were much lower than you got on aamc practice exams?
should i keep doing these problems even though they seem very unlike aamc q's?

Well said Steinway. Examkracker's is prime material for students who have a solid background in premed....because of the fact that is so brief. Berkeley Review lays it all out and doesn't ask you to "fill in the gaps." What I was trying to say in my previous post was that Berkeley Review doesn't get as much exposure as the rest of these other review courses (Kaplan, PR) and they seem to be recommended/known at more prestigious institutions. This is not to say "that smart people use Berkeley Review"....it's just that the students at these schools are more likely to hear of Berkeley Review and subsequently use their products.
Personal biases aside, I would strongly recommend both Berkeley Review and Examkracker's...the exceptions would be Berkeley Review's verbal and Examkracker's Physics 1001. As has already been said, each company has pros and cons and each student has to weigh the cost and benefits of each and determine which is better for him or herself.

So no one knows anything about PR? I am trying to decide who to enroll with, I've gotten good advice about Kaplan and a lot here re: BR, but what about Princeton? I must say you guys are doing a great job of pitching BR... kudos to you. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Originally posted by striker5
So no one knows anything about PR? I am trying to decide who to enroll with, I've gotten good advice about Kaplan and a lot here re: BR, but what about Princeton?

No answer sometimes speaks louder than anything.

• Hudson:

So you're saying BR is elitist? :)

I'm not sure how true that it, given that EK teaches at Columbia and BR teaches at Berkeley, but you might be right.

Ok I took the MCAT twice. First time was straight up Princeton Review. Second time was self study with the following materials: Princeton Review Science Review Books, EK Verbal, EK 1001 Chem/Physics, Berkeley Review Practice Tests, AAMC Practice Tests. Needless to say, I've tried a lot of different companies.

First of all, Berkeley Review has far fewer teaching centers than Princeton or Kaplan. That at least partially explains why there are fewer BR people b*tching about their scores. Second, BR doesn't (or didn't) publish materials outside of the course, which also explains why EK has more students b*tching/raving about it in this forum.

That being said, I was told by some people who've taken BR's courses that they work you real hard and prepare you well. Having used their practice tests, I'm inclined to believe those people. Although my scores fluctuated drastically, (especially on verbal which kind of sucked in my opinion), the exam is thorough in its science, and forces you to understand the concepts. It's ironic that something that is tough and detailed forces you to know the concepts, but then again, maybe it's not so ironic after all.

Umm, I guess my point is that BR materials are comparable to other materials. Get as many sources as you can and practice as much as you can. The problem with EK is that people think it's some sort of magic formula. The reality is that strategies only get you so far. At some point you're gonna have to invest in some old fashioned sweat and tears.

to answer ur question mudd,

i'm taking BR at the Berkeley center. it's funny how after taking the BR diags how easy (relatively) aamc 3 and 4 were. i guess that was their goal. to prep you with HARD practice tests, so that on the real thing, you can't help but giggle a bit during the sections (esp sciences)...i do agree, verbal prep isn't all that. but then again, i chose BR over TPR because i don't believe that one can teach you how to do well in verbal, it comes from practice and figuring out the subtlties that can only be done in one's own head...

gchem and bio prep were by far the best...physics was decent. but then again, there is only so much one can explain in physics. most of the difficulty comes from playing with formulas and understanding key relationships...but for anyone considering BR, DEF worthwhile...but, you are warned that it sometimes is a little frustrating. if you can put up with that, then i totally say go for it.

anyways, i guess i'll stop rambling and go over some last minute bio...the repro system...hell yea. cant wait! lol.

g'luck to all you saturday test-takers...remember like a friend once told me..."dude..all you have to do..is walk in there, write down all the right answers...and then leave..."...haha..

to all the people getting utterly wasted on saturday night...something i thought was pretty interesting...just imagine how much time/effort/energy you have spent in getting ultra smart for the big day...and how quickly, on sat night, our aim will be to get as dumb as humanly possible in the name of celebration...ironic, huh?

peace.

hmgcoa:

So how did the exam go? You sound like you were about as ready for it as humanly possible. I'm sure you nailed it. Time to move to the pre-allo forum?