The best accelerated (3-year) program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCompunder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been searching hard for information in these forums on people's opinion on what they think is the best 3-year pharm program. I was looking for a thread that discussed (1) which criteria (i.e. cost, board passing rate, attrition, course difficulty) to use to determine which 3-year program is the best and (2) students (particulary current students) who have opinions or information on which program they think is better.

I recently got into MCPHS- Worcester and I am trying to determine if this is the best 3-year program to go to or wait to here from others like LECOM and Albany. I am 99% positive that I want to go to a 3-year program but I just want to make sure that I go to the best one.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

TheCompunder said:
Hello All,

I have been searching hard for information in these forums on people's opinion on what they think is the best 3-year pharm program. I was looking for a thread that discussed (1) which criteria (i.e. cost, board passing rate, attrition, course difficulty) to use to determine which 3-year program is the best and (2) students (particulary current students) who have opinions or information on which program they think is better.

I recently got into MCPHS- Worcester and I am trying to determine if this is the best 3-year program to go to or wait to here from others like LECOM and Albany. I am 99% positive that I want to go to a 3-year program but I just want to make sure that I go to the best one.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I am on the same boat. I am sure I will go to a 3-year program if I get accepted and applied four 3-year schools. So far, I had one interview with MCPHS-Worcester and waiting for other schools like LECOM, UOP and Nevada.

As far as the tuition wise, LECOM is the least expensive one; it costs 19000 a year whereas other schools are around 30000 a year. MCPHS has 92% of board passing rate at first try and 99% at second and 90% of retention rate. At UOP, I heard one out of six students end up spending 4 years which is really bad.

Please share with us if you know any details or other opinions about 3-year program.

imkim01 said:
As far as the tuition wise, LECOM is the least expensive one; it costs 19000 a year whereas other schools are around 30000 a year.

From what I've heard, there's a reason why LECOM is significantly cheaper...I wouldn't touch it, but I've heard some people actually like it there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm looking into 3 years too, can u link the thread that discusess them?

TheCompunder said:
I was looking for a thread that discussed (1) which criteria (i.e. cost, board passing rate, attrition, course difficulty) to use to determine which 3-year program is the best and (2) students (particulary current students) who have opinions or information on which program they think is better.

The real criteria to find out which 3 year program is best is really up to you. 3 year programs are either on the block system or a traditional hybird that consist of quarters. In terms of cost, they are all generally about the same. You are looking at somewhere between 20-30k a year to attend a 3 year school. Now that maybe more expensive than a 4 year school but you have to look at the big picture. Generally, the 3 year program will cost just about as much as any four year program. (assuming the 4 year program is not an in-state public school)

You will have a hard time finding NAPLEX information. That information is released to the dean of whatever school of pharmacy is in question and it is up to the dean to decide what to do with that information. Most schools do not release that type of information. You may hear a lot of people saying, well this school has a 100% passing rate or whatever, but take what you hear with a grain of salt.

The attrition rates will be a little easier to figure out. If you go to AACP's website, you can find out how many enter a class and how many graduate. Once you have the two numbers, it's simple math to figure it out. I would expect to see a moderately higher attrition rate at a brand new school than I would at an established school due to quality of applicants, but it all depends. One particular 4 year school that I know of (been around for many years too) lost about 11 people to one course and that result never happened before and hasn't happened since.

Course difficulty really depends on the person. Some people find pharmacy school to be laughably easy where as some people find it extreamly difficult. It really just depends on you, how easy the concepts come to you, and your professor. I found pharmacy school to be a little easier than undergrad, but I don't find it to be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as choosing schools...I would go to the 3 year school that has been playing the 3 year game for a while. Getting a 3 year program off the ground can be quite difficult and will take a while to iron out the kinks. Since MCPHS is on the table for you, I feel like it's a no brainer. Go to MCPHS. The only other 3 year schools I would consider at this point would be Midwestern, University of the Pacific in Stockton CA (not the new program in Oregon), and the University of Southern Nevada.

Why are 99% sure you want to go to a 3 year program?

From what I hear, Albany is the best 3 year program. Also, Worcester is crazy expensive. It's not worth the money. You'd be better going to a cheaper 4 year program like Buffalo (which is also a top 20 school for pharmacy).

At least, that's what I did.

Thanks for all the responses (especially Abilify and imkim). I want to attend a 3-year program because I want to graduate and start practicing. I am 27 and I know for a fact that I want to practice in retail.

Here is some more information I digged up about the 3-year programs. Please correct me if I am wrong. Albany has had the 3-year program longer then any of the other programs. MCPHS started their program in 2000 and LECOM and USN both start after that (I believe LECOM and USN are the most recent ones). I am not sure about Midwestern or U of Pacific.

When I interviewed with MCPHS they told me that there NAPLEX passing rate is in the low 90s and that the national average is around 79%. I wasn't sure but I thought that the 79% national average was a little lower then expected.

Any new thoughts or comments?

TheCompunder said:
When I interviewed with MCPHS they told me that there NAPLEX passing rate is in the low 90s and that the national average is around 79%. I wasn't sure but I thought that the 79% national average was a little lower then expected.

Any new thoughts or comments?

79% seems awfully low to me. Maybe they are including the law portion. I know that at UF we had a 100% pass rate on NAPLEX but only 85% on Florida law. (So, our law teacher decided to write tests from hell this year).

I also heard that they are changing the NAPLEX this coming year and are going to make it a little more difficult.

dgroulx said:
79% seems awfully low to me. Maybe they are including the law portion. I know that at UF we had a 100% pass rate on NAPLEX but only 85% on Florida law. (So, our law teacher decided to write tests from hell this year).

I also heard that they are changing the NAPLEX this coming year and are going to make it a little more difficult.
it sounds low to me too...
after all you have to have a 75% to pass....

I go to a three year program right now in virginia and it's very difficult, but worth it. Just recently while back home in Florida I have worked with new graduates from both wocester and lecom. By a long shot the wocester graudate was the best. I have been in school for one semester and was able to answer questions that others I work with wouldn't have been able to answer until there third year in a traditional school. I have have a friend who is a 3P and UF St pete and we compare programs all the time and she tells me that my program is just as difficult as hers. Do the three year get done faster.

lharms said:
I go to a three year program right now in virginia and it's very difficult, but worth it. Just recently while back home in Florida I have worked with new graduates from both wocester and lecom. By a long shot the wocester graudate was the best. I have been in school for one semester and was able to answer questions that others I work with wouldn't have been able to answer until there third year in a traditional school. I have have a friend who is a 3P and UF St pete and we compare programs all the time and she tells me that my program is just as difficult as hers. Do the three year get done faster.

I sent my pharmcas app to UACP. I will be sending off my supplemental soon. How do you feel that their accredidation is coming. I know they have had some turmoil in the program with losing the original dean and some prof's being fired. Do you think their program is going to be stable? Would you recommend going to UACP? I have a gpa of 3.7 and a pcat of 79, is that competitive there? Thanks.

josephbroten said:
I sent my pharmcas app to UACP. I will be sending off my supplemental soon. How do you feel that their accredidation is coming. I know they have had some turmoil in the program with losing the original dean and some prof's being fired. Do you think their program is going to be stable? Would you recommend going to UACP? I have a gpa of 3.7 and a pcat of 79, is that competitive there? Thanks.
I hope you're applying to more than one pharmacy school...

Caverject said:
I hope you're applying to more than one pharmacy school...

It's good to have you back, Caverject!

Caverject said:
I'm sure you're the only one! :laugh:
Yeah where were you? :confused: I knew my life felt empty... :laugh: