The best way to the bladder

Started by vtdo07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vtdo07

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I figured I start a new thread because I really would like some feedback (outside of urologymatch.com) that can give me a general ideal of the typical day of a Urologist and the best way to go about obtaining a Urology residency. All feedback is much appreciated......... 😀
 
you're better off checking out urologymatch.com or talking to an advisor at your school. this discussion board is very inactive.
 
vtdo07 said:
I figured I start a new thread because I really would like some feedback (outside of urologymatch.com) that can give me a general ideal of the typical day of a Urologist and the best way to go about obtaining a Urology residency. All feedback is much appreciated......... 😀

My experience with urology has been more oriented towards an academic center. The docs there are typically in the OR 3 1/2 days a week. Three of those will be the larger cases - onc type. Then, they often spend 1/2 day doing cystoscopic procedures. One day of week is clinic seeing new patients in the morning and then follow up patients in the afternoon.

The best way to obtain a urology rotation is pretty much the same for any other surgical subspecialty.

1) Get step I scores - >230 is important, but I know of people who have matched in the 220's.

2) Get as many honors as possible in the 3rd year. Surgery and medicine are key rotations to honor.

3) Take 2-3 electives in urology - get honors in each one of them.

4) Get good recommendations from urologists/chairmen where you did these electives.

5) Apply to a large number of programs to increase your odds.

6) Research never hurts to do in urology.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In private practice it's different I think. I've worked with about 10 private urologists (get it, private?) and they do about 3 days a week of cysto stuff and the occassional bigger case, like a nephrectomy or a cystectomy or something.
 
bobbyseal said:
My experience with urology has been more oriented towards an academic center. The docs there are typically in the OR 3 1/2 days a week. Three of those will be the larger cases - onc type. Then, they often spend 1/2 day doing cystoscopic procedures. One day of week is clinic seeing new patients in the morning and then follow up patients in the afternoon.

The best way to obtain a urology rotation is pretty much the same for any other surgical subspecialty.

1) Get step I scores - >230 is important, but I know of people who have matched in the 220's.

2) Get as many honors as possible in the 3rd year. Surgery and medicine are key rotations to honor.

3) Take 2-3 electives in urology - get honors in each one of them.

4) Get good recommendations from urologists/chairmen where you did these electives.

5) Apply to a large number of programs to increase your odds.

6) Research never hurts to do in urology.


Thanks for the feedback........ I have checked out urologymatch.com extensively but I just wanted to get more of a personal viewpoint which you have provided. Thanks again
 
JudoKing01 said:
In private practice it's different I think. I've worked with about 10 private urologists (get it, private?) and they do about 3 days a week of cysto stuff and the occassional bigger case, like a nephrectomy or a cystectomy or something.

Yeah, private practice will spend more time in clinic and doing small procedures rather than the larger cases. You can make a lot more money doing 8 cysto procedures in a day than spending all day doing a cystectomy and neobladder.
 
Is it possible be apart of a group private practice and also participate in the academic side of medicine at a university? If it is technically possible do people actually pursue this path or am I just being clueless about this?

I'm just asking because I remember seeing an ENT doc at a universities website who seemed to have multiple offices and one seemed to be with a private practice group.
 
Vomitonme said:
Is it possible be apart of a group private practice and also participate in the academic side of medicine at a university? If it is technically possible do people actually pursue this path or am I just being clueless about this?

I'm just asking because I remember seeing an ENT doc at a universities website who seemed to have multiple offices and one seemed to be with a private practice group.

Yeah, anything's possible. It all depends upon how desparate an academic center is for getting a part time urologist and how flexible a private practice is in letting you do academics. Or for that matter, vice versa.

During my interviews there were many universities which had a 6 month block or so where you'd operate with private practice urologists. So, they were private practice, but they had an academic affiliation whereby they'd train residents.