The best way to the bladder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtdo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I start a new thread because I really would like some feedback (outside of urologymatch.com) that can give me a general ideal of the typical day of a Urologist and the best way to go about obtaining a Urology residency. All feedback is much appreciated......... :D

Members don't see this ad.

you're better off checking out urologymatch.com or talking to an advisor at your school. this discussion board is very inactive.

vtdo07 said:
I figured I start a new thread because I really would like some feedback (outside of urologymatch.com) that can give me a general ideal of the typical day of a Urologist and the best way to go about obtaining a Urology residency. All feedback is much appreciated......... :D

My experience with urology has been more oriented towards an academic center. The docs there are typically in the OR 3 1/2 days a week. Three of those will be the larger cases - onc type. Then, they often spend 1/2 day doing cystoscopic procedures. One day of week is clinic seeing new patients in the morning and then follow up patients in the afternoon.

The best way to obtain a urology rotation is pretty much the same for any other surgical subspecialty.

1) Get step I scores - >230 is important, but I know of people who have matched in the 220's.

2) Get as many honors as possible in the 3rd year. Surgery and medicine are key rotations to honor.

3) Take 2-3 electives in urology - get honors in each one of them.

4) Get good recommendations from urologists/chairmen where you did these electives.

5) Apply to a large number of programs to increase your odds.

6) Research never hurts to do in urology.

Members don't see this ad :)
In private practice it's different I think. I've worked with about 10 private urologists (get it, private?) and they do about 3 days a week of cysto stuff and the occassional bigger case, like a nephrectomy or a cystectomy or something.

bobbyseal said:
My experience with urology has been more oriented towards an academic center. The docs there are typically in the OR 3 1/2 days a week. Three of those will be the larger cases - onc type. Then, they often spend 1/2 day doing cystoscopic procedures. One day of week is clinic seeing new patients in the morning and then follow up patients in the afternoon.

The best way to obtain a urology rotation is pretty much the same for any other surgical subspecialty.

1) Get step I scores - >230 is important, but I know of people who have matched in the 220's.

2) Get as many honors as possible in the 3rd year. Surgery and medicine are key rotations to honor.

3) Take 2-3 electives in urology - get honors in each one of them.

4) Get good recommendations from urologists/chairmen where you did these electives.

5) Apply to a large number of programs to increase your odds.

6) Research never hurts to do in urology.

Thanks for the feedback........ I have checked out urologymatch.com extensively but I just wanted to get more of a personal viewpoint which you have provided. Thanks again

JudoKing01 said:
In private practice it's different I think. I've worked with about 10 private urologists (get it, private?) and they do about 3 days a week of cysto stuff and the occassional bigger case, like a nephrectomy or a cystectomy or something.

Yeah, private practice will spend more time in clinic and doing small procedures rather than the larger cases. You can make a lot more money doing 8 cysto procedures in a day than spending all day doing a cystectomy and neobladder.

Is it possible be apart of a group private practice and also participate in the academic side of medicine at a university? If it is technically possible do people actually pursue this path or am I just being clueless about this?

I'm just asking because I remember seeing an ENT doc at a universities website who seemed to have multiple offices and one seemed to be with a private practice group.

Vomitonme said:
Is it possible be apart of a group private practice and also participate in the academic side of medicine at a university? If it is technically possible do people actually pursue this path or am I just being clueless about this?

I'm just asking because I remember seeing an ENT doc at a universities website who seemed to have multiple offices and one seemed to be with a private practice group.

Yeah, anything's possible. It all depends upon how desparate an academic center is for getting a part time urologist and how flexible a private practice is in letting you do academics. Or for that matter, vice versa.

During my interviews there were many universities which had a 6 month block or so where you'd operate with private practice urologists. So, they were private practice, but they had an academic affiliation whereby they'd train residents.