The Business of Being a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2beadoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I talked to my family doctor about what I should to prepare for medical school this fall. He told me, much the same as most people here, that its pretty much useless to prepare academically; but he also told me things he felt that medical school didn't adequately teach him. One of those things was the business of being a doctor, including working with medicare/medicaid and billing procedures. He also told me about how groups often have relocation clauses in their contracts to ensure a doctor who leaves a practice won't be competition. So what do you think? Do you feel your med. school prepares you enough in this regard? Is this something a med school should have in its curriculum? Or should it be learned after medical school/residency in the school of hard knocks?

Members don't see this ad.

want2beadoc said:
Is this something a med school should have in its curriculum? Or should it be learned after medical school/residency in the school of hard knocks?

Some residencies incorporate practice management lectures into their curriculum, but it's basically OJT.

want2beadoc said:
A few months ago I talked to my family doctor about what I should to prepare for medical school this fall. He told me, much the same as most people here, that its pretty much useless to prepare academically; but he also told me things he felt that medical school didn't adequately teach him. One of those things was the business of being a doctor, including working with medicare/medicaid and billing procedures. He also told me about how groups often have relocation clauses in their contracts to ensure a doctor who leaves a practice won't be competition. So what do you think? Do you feel your med. school prepares you enough in this regard? Is this something a med school should have in its curriculum? Or should it be learned after medical school/residency in the school of hard knocks?

There is no place that teaches you this. Make friends with folks with relevant backgrounds (former lawyers, accountants, insurance and business execs) in your classes and try to absorb their knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm near the end of my 2nd year and am 100% clueless when it comes to the business side of medicine.

We have had a few lectures that touched on the basics of what Medicare/caid/insurance is and how it works on a very superficial level.
However, I feel completely unprepared for any future in private practice.

I feel like a lot of other med students are in a similar position also.

Hopefully the rest of medical school and residency will give some more exposure to the real world aspects of the business of medicine.

Anybody know of any good books or other resources?

DW3843 said:
Anybody know of any good books or other resources?

Here are a couple of options:

Practice Management
1556053657.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Business of Medical Practice
0826123759.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

want2beadoc said:

Nothing in med school. Many good residency programs will help, but like anything in life, if you want to do what's best for yourself, you need to take care of it.