The classic debate for fortunate Michigan residents: Univ. of Mich. or UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theshiznit2222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, for those Michigan residents who a lucky/fortunate enough to be accepted to both University of Michigan and University of Detroit Mercy, what makes you pick one over the other?

So far, here are my thoughts on the two schools. I apologize in advance that I threw some personal things in there, but its a tough decision to make because there are a lot of extra variables for me. What do you guys think? (please correct me if I was misinformed on something)

Michigan:
Pros - I've dreamed of going to U of M since 7th grade, the revised curriculum seems a lot better than they used to be, they are making everything digital now (no more paper charts / "old school" x-rays), it costs WAY less than Detroit Mercy, the name of Michigan I feel like sticks out to people/dentists (easier to get a job afterwards in state?), TONS of alumni connections, still has that university feel to it (I love having a campus, and not just one building), football games (when there is a couple hours of free time lol), if I do decide to specialize - the name probably helps, smaller patient base, still way older facilities when compared to Detroit Mercy

Cons - You have to schedule all of your own patients, I won't be living in Ann Arbor because my fiance will be going to physical therapy school in Detroit, parking/commuting will be a pain, I didn't have that "wow" feeling when I went there (maybe I expected too much because that was my dream school growing up), a lot of the people that I have met from U of M seem slightly arrogant, I have heard that the clinical experience doesn't get you as ready as it should to be a general dentist right out of school (does the change in curriculum help that?), first semester begins in the summer less than 2 weeks after my wedding...

Detroit Mercy:
Pros - Awesome clinical experience, faculty and students were all super nice and less uptight than U of M, parking would be free and easy everyday, patient base is huge, could live closer to school since my fiance is going to be going somewhere in Detroit, newly renovated facilities, 100% board 1 passing rates, possible scholarship opportunity at matriculation because of high GPA (last year they had 5 4.00 students, so they all got it, and I have a 3.98), the school assigns you patients - don't have to worry about scheduling, I felt really comfortable in the school

Cons - Tuition = arm, leg, and first born child, it is downtown Detroit, the average person really doesn't know about Detroit Mercy, starts later in the fall (getting married in June), one of the dentists that I talked to that was just two years out of graduating from UDM said that if he would have been accepted to U of M then he would have gone there instead...

It would be extremely helpful to hear from people that have chosen U of M over UDM and people that have chosen UDM over U of M so that we can all get both sides of the debate.

Members don't see this ad.

After reading your pros and cons, If I was in your position I would choose UDM. This woman is your fiance not just some girl you hook up with lol. I would want to stay close to her if I had a choice. Also, dental school is stressful enough. Commuting far away would add to that stress. Lastly, it seems like you like the feel of UDM better when you interviewed according to your statement about the students and faculty. You don't want to be in place where you don't think you will mesh with the students.

From reading your post it comes down to this. Going to UDM would make your happier but it more expensive and possibly won't provide you as much opportunities to become a successful dentist. Going to Umich would make you less happy but it is cheaper and might provide you opportunities to become more successful (name, connections, etc).

IMO, it's a hard decision because of the cost difference. I don't believe going to Umich would provide you better opportunities than going to UDM personally.

So, for those Michigan residents who a lucky/fortunate enough to be accepted to both University of Michigan and University of Detroit Mercy, what makes you pick one over the other?

So far, here are my thoughts on the two schools. I apologize in advance that I threw some personal things in there, but its a tough decision to make because there are a lot of extra variables for me. What do you guys think? (please correct me if I was misinformed on something)

Michigan:
Pros - I've dreamed of going to U of M since 7th grade, the revised curriculum seems a lot better than they used to be, they are making everything digital now (no more paper charts / "old school" x-rays), it costs WAY less than Detroit Mercy, the name of Michigan I feel like sticks out to people/dentists (easier to get a job afterwards in state?), TONS of alumni connections, still has that university feel to it (I love having a campus, and not just one building), football games (when there is a couple hours of free time lol), if I do decide to specialize - the name probably helps, smaller patient base, still way older facilities when compared to Detroit Mercy

Cons - You have to schedule all of your own patients, I won't be living in Ann Arbor because my fiance will be going to physical therapy school in Detroit, parking/commuting will be a pain, I didn't have that "wow" feeling when I went there (maybe I expected too much because that was my dream school growing up), a lot of the people that I have met from U of M seem slightly arrogant, I have heard that the clinical experience doesn't get you as ready as it should to be a general dentist right out of school (does the change in curriculum help that?), first semester begins in the summer less than 2 weeks after my wedding...

Detroit Mercy:
Pros - Awesome clinical experience, faculty and students were all super nice and less uptight than U of M, parking would be free and easy everyday, patient base is huge, could live closer to school since my fiance is going to be going somewhere in Detroit, newly renovated facilities, 100% board 1 passing rates, possible scholarship opportunity at matriculation because of high GPA (last year they had 5 4.00 students, so they all got it, and I have a 3.98), the school assigns you patients - don't have to worry about scheduling, I felt really comfortable in the school

Cons - Tuition = arm, leg, and first born child, it is downtown Detroit, the average person really doesn't know about Detroit Mercy, starts later in the fall (getting married in June), one of the dentists that I talked to that was just two years out of graduating from UDM said that if he would have been accepted to U of M then he would have gone there instead...

It would be extremely helpful to hear from people that have chosen U of M over UDM and people that have chosen UDM over U of M so that we can all get both sides of the debate.

It's your choice but sounds like UDM is better choice than UoM

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to specialize go to UofM.
If you don't want to specialize go to UDM.

If you want to specialize go to UofM.
If you don't want to specialize go to UDM.
But what if you don't know if you want to specialize yet? Should you go to the school that makes you a better GP that some people still specialize from, or should you go to the school that doesn't make you as good of a GP that more people specialize from?

I had the same decision to make last year.... UDM was better fit all around ~ 30 minutes away, amazing clinical experience (they schedule pts for you), never hear anyone complain about lack of pts, and yes, UDM does have good track record of putting people into OMFS (the only area I like) especially since its got a semi-link up program with st.john hospital for both 4 and 6 year OMFS.

One of the things that turned me off from Michigan and that was... they don't tell you your class rank till end of 2nd year... so you really don't know where you stand for 2 years (not sure if this was a rumor or not, but I believed it and went with it).... Either way, I woulda still picked UDM

The major advantage of U of Mich is... cost (its about 25k cheaper per year)

Although you're talking a lot of difference money wise, I've always said I would get out the cheapest I could in undergraduate and then choose whatever dental school made me the happiest. Sounds like UDM is going to be the right choice for you. Plus, you and your fiance are both going to be stressed starting new programs. You don't want to add to that stress by being away from them. You may not be able to do many fun things together, but you can at least see each other more if your closer.

In your shoes I would go UDM all the way. Especially because I heard the same thing about UofM not preparing you well for clinical, and if I understand the curriculum change, it is a change in didactic classes more than clinical experience. You really express no interest in the one area that UofM excels; research.

Plus, dental school is already going to put strain on your relationship with your fiance. I wouldn't recommend adding to it.

I suppose it's much easier to speculate from my point of view than yours though...

Good Luck

What's this issue about UoM students scheduling patients? I thought all schools required students to manage their patient base and get appropriate cases for grad requirements.

What's this issue about UoM students scheduling patients? I thought all schools required students to manage their patient base and get appropriate cases for grad requirements.

no... some schools find pts for you, you just gotta call the pt and set up an appointment

Michigan:

Detroit Mercy:

First of all, congrats for getting into dental schools! You earned it!

I think it is absolutely necessary for you to consider the personal reasons when choosing dental school. It is your life, and your life isn't only about the dental school. Don't need to apologize for that :) I can tell you that life outside dental school still happens even when you are a dental student. You should talk with your fiancé too!
Sounds like you clicked with UDM more when you were on interviews, and it sounds like your heart is calling for UDM! As a dental student, I will tell you that you should go to where your heart calls for. One of the worst things in dental school is waking up every morning thinking "Ah I should've chosen the other school!" On top of that, considering the realistic circumstances you posted, attending UDM probably sounds more feasible.

Since I'm the D1 in U of M, I can only provide the info about U of M. Everything below is what I've heard/ seen/ experienced so far and is just for your reference if you want to read on. Just some things to maybe serve as pointers for you but also other people applying to U of M to consider. Last year my problem was that there wasn't much I could find online.

1. The externship rotation (within the state of Michigan) during the D4 year is currently 10 weeks max if you want to do the maximum. I heard the school is pushing it to be either 12 or 15 weeks max when I become a D4. I heard that currently D4 can be seeing many patients ( I think I heard 8-10, but don't quote me on the number...) a day when they are on rotations. Current D4s love the rotations because they get assistants so the pace is a lot faster than seeing patients in dental school. They also feel a lot more confident in their clinical skills after their rotations.
2. I had the same concern about the patient pool when I was applying. However, the D4 I talked to told me that he had never heard people in his class complaining about patient pools. But then again this was only from one D4, so you can always check with others about it.
3. Some how because UDM and UM are in the same state, they are always compared side by side. The most common result --> people usually regard UDM as the clinical school and UM as the research school. I think it is OK if people label the schools this way (as I did, too, when I was applying), but I think this is not to say that UM under-trains the students in clinics. The truth for BOTH schools is that upon graduation, some graduates go into specialties, some go into AEGD/GPR, some go into the military, some go directly into private practice.
4. So far, the support I get from the upperclassmen was more than I anticipated. They are always offering to help. I've been told "If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask me." from multiple D2s, D3s, and D4s. I just think it's great to feel that there's always help around so I'm not as stressed.
5. "Are classmates competitive?"
This was what I was afraid of when I was applying as I am not a competitive person. I've also been asked the same question by multiple friends who applied this cycle. I can't say for other classes, but I can confidently say for my own class: we are a lot more collaborative and a lot less competitive. The only person you compete with is yourself. I love my class. It's a group of diverse, interesting, and nice people.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I am a D3 at U of M. They assign us patients (we never have to find our own patients) with tx plans that range from prophys and fillings to implants. All we have to do is schedule appointments for them, and whenever you've got vacant clinics, you can always request as many patients as u'd like. Trust me, I have patients assigned to me more than a month ago that I can't find time to squeeze them in as I am barely catching up with my current list of active patients.