The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC) MBS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LehighValleyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed there wasn't a thread for the TCMC MBS program for this year (fall 2014) and figured I'd make one. If anyone is interviewing/interviewed or will be attending/thinking about attending, thought this would be a great way to start up some conversations and questions.

Note - My application for this program was not complete until mid-March. I have not heard anything back since. Hoping to hear back sometime soon as it is one of my top choices (Scranton, Pa is very close to home :) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea how the previous classes have fared? I have been unable to find any information. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

Any idea how the previous classes have fared? I have been unable to find any information. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

I would also like to know the answer to this question. I have dug through several TCMC threads to no avail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Did any of applicants for the MBS program hear back anything?

Just heard back (via e-mail) last night! I haven't picked a date for my interview yet. I'd be interested to hear how the interviews are run but I'm sure I'll be able to find something on these forums later. Good luck to everyone else applying/interviewing :)

Congrats on getting the interview. I think you're probably the first one to hear back. Good luck with the interview and I hope you get in.

Just attended an interview today for MBS. It was really laid back and very informative. Great environment and cost of living is very cheap. A lot opportunity to be involved in EC"s. They are taking 65 students in this year"s cohort. On average 50 to 60 percent of the students who did the MBS program matriculated to TCMC or other medical schools in the last several years which is fairly impressive

Reactions: 1 users
Just attended an interview today for MBS. It was really laid back and very informative. Great environment and cost of living is very cheap. A lot opportunity to be involved in EC"s. They are taking 65 students in this year"s cohort. On average 50 to 60 percent of the students who did the MBS program matriculated to TCMC or other medical schools in the last several years which is fairly impressive

Ya so I am a former MBS student, now in D.O. school. I'm not going to get into which schools I interviewed, Got into etc. I can say that the program increased my chances of getting in dramatically, to both M.D. and D.O. school

I just started the cardio block at my D.O. school and I am using my MBS cardio notes as the basis of my learning right now, seriously, the MBS notes I have are better than my current schools notes, by far (and in other subjects this year, my notes and experience in MBS have helped directly as well). Also, I destroyed the First block at my school, which was basically all the core science you need for medical.....aka the majority of the MBS program curriculum. So you get the idea

The MBS program, especially the genetics, histo, biochem and PHYSIO are HUGE advantages once in school. In my opinion, it is worth the money, time etc. But be ready to work your tail off in the program, and if you don't have a science background, be even more ready for a whirlwind. Also, the MBS program, in my opinion, is only useful if you bring up that MCAT (at least in so far as getting into a school). When the MBS w/ an improved MCAT are put together....success

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Here is what I could find on the MBS website page from the class of 2014 : http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH001143

That's a really cool page TCMC put up. I wish they had those stats for my class. It seems to becoming slightly more competitive to get into than years past. I would like to see those application numbers go up.

If anyone has any questions about the program, and life thereafter let me know. I will try to help, but may not respond immediately. I want to see TCMC do some work in all respects

Last edited:
Hey AnonymousDO,

Thank you for taking questions. I'm truly interested in this program.
  1. How many people are interviewed by TCMC who perform well in the program? How many are accepted?
  2. How many students are MD bound, and how many are DO bound?
  3. In terms of MCAT, I notice their average is 26 on that page. For people who get accepted into TCMC, did anyone have to retake the MCAT to do so? I guess here, I'm asking, does the school only care about your performance in the program, or MCAT as well?
Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey AnonymousDO,

Thank you for taking questions. I'm truly interested in this program.
  1. How many people are interviewed by TCMC who perform well in the program? How many are accepted?
  2. How many students are MD bound, and how many are DO bound?
  3. In terms of MCAT, I notice their average is 26 on that page. For people who get accepted into TCMC, did anyone have to retake the MCAT to do so? I guess here, I'm asking, does the school only care about your performance in the program, or MCAT as well?
Thank you so much for your time!

1.) Ah yes, the million dollar question. I and everyone else asked ourselves this so many times. I wish I could give a concrete answer. TCMC used to post some statistic on how many of their students had gotten in but I don't see it anymore. My best advice is to email them specifically or ask them at interview, as I'm sure it has changed over time and even from year to year. They get this question all the time, so they should be able to answer. I will say, that their acceptance rate of students is higher than the general population of applicants, showing that the program does help.

Not everyone that interviews (for the MD from MBS) gets into TCMC. They look at EVERYTHING. To be successful, participate in as much as possible (clubs, volunteer, etc.) have a good GPA, and a good MCAT. You have to do it all. But again, do well in the program and it will help your chances, but there are certainly no guarantees

2.) I believe most people wanted to get into MD, but that is true in general anyway obviously. Our class president contacted some D.O.s in the area and people were very interested in this, so there were def. people that were interested in the whole D.O. side of things. Keep in mind too that TCMC is an M.D. school

One thing that is important to say is that I had and MD and a DO interview BEFORE entering the program. So I was pretty darn close to getting in anyway. Look at the avgs for people entering the program last year though. 3.2 GPA and a 26 MCAT.....umm....this isn't too competitive at most MD schools lets be real. Say you pull that MCAT up to 30 and get a 4.0 in the program. Now you are looking at a 3.4 GPA overall at best (it goes into undergrad GPA). Yes the fact TCMC is grad school helps but 3.4 bottom line is below avg for most MD schools. Take a serious look at at your own GPA. If your science GPA blows, good luck regardless of what you do I think it would be smart to give yourself the best opportunities available (aka apply to both M.D. and DO)

3.) TCMC again looks at everything. Most people retook the MCAT w/ the princeton review course, either summer before or after. Why not? you are spending 40 K on a program to get into med school. unless you have like a 29 and don't think you can pull it up, take the course. I don't think TCMC would bias against not doing the course, I would think that your number is what it is. I also would have to say if you do the program and improve the MCAT score, it looks favorable in terms of effort, and this was something that TCMC made pretty obvious throughout the year

Last edited:
Hey Knicksfan1474,

Seeing as though youre the only person in here that has attended an interview thus far, I have lots of questions for you. I have an interview coming up and wanted to get an idea of what I'm in for.

1. You mentioned that the interview was laidback. What kinds of questions did they ask? Any run of the mill "why medicine?" "why us?" "why you?" sorts of questions? Or more personality type questions?

2. How many students were in your interview group?

3. Did they tell you about any interview:acceptance ratios to the MBS program?

4. Did you feel obligated to ask questions during the student panel? (correct me if I'm wrong I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there would be one)

That's all I have right now. Any tips or suggestions would be great! TIA.

Hey Knicksfan1474,

Seeing as though youre the only person in here that has attended an interview thus far, I have lots of questions for you. I have an interview coming up and wanted to get an idea of what I'm in for.

1. You mentioned that the interview was laidback. What kinds of questions did they ask? Any run of the mill "why medicine?" "why us?" "why you?" sorts of questions? Or more personality type questions?

2. How many students were in your interview group?

3. Did they tell you about any interview:acceptance ratios to the MBS program?

4. Did you feel obligated to ask questions during the student panel? (correct me if I'm wrong I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there would be one)

That's all I have right now. Any tips or suggestions would be great! TIA.

I just interviewed at TCMC this past Friday. Let me tell you - I was left very impressed. Everyone was very friendly and nice.

1. The interview was laid back while I was asked questions similar to what you mentioned. I had an associate professor who teaches classes for both the Medical students and MBS students.

2. I believe there was about 8 people who were interviewing.

3. They did briefly mention a statistic - I want to say they send 150 interview invites for 50-60 seats.

4. The student panel was so helpful - They were current MBS students - one of which was accepted to the Medical College this upcoming fall. They answered all the questions I had about the academic life, housing, social, ect..

As far as tips, I would just say be yourself. The interview day is a great opportunity to meet the faculty & students at TCMC. I haven't been to many programs like this and I can say with some certainty that if I get accepted I will be attending this upcoming fall. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Hey, I'm a current MBS student at TCMC and I was also on the graduate student council. I am going to DO school in the fall. Just as a heads up, I am not from anywhere close to PA and did not get accepted to their MD program. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Hey, I'm a current MBS student at TCMC and I was also on the graduate student council. I am going to DO school in the fall. Just as a heads up, I am not from anywhere close to PA and did not get accepted to their MD program. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Congrats and welcome not only to the Physician community bu the D.O. family too. Love seeing MBS students getting in....if you have any OMM questions, let me know. It may even help those on this forum that are thinking about DO school.

Would you care to share which DO school you are going to? If not that's cool I'm just curious. I am at VCOM

I loved VCOM! I almost put a deposit down there. I am going to Rocky Vista University in CO. I wanted to get back out west :)

Hey Everyone,

Is it too late to apply to this program. I started my application earlier last month but never finished it and then a day ago received an email about finishing it. I was wondering would be worth the time to complete it consider most SMPs have already started sending out decisions.

Thanks for your help!

You have money that they can have? If so, it is not too late. If not, are you willing to be in debt and eventually pay them? If so, it is not too late. Else, yes, it is too late. :)

Hey Everyone,

Is it too late to apply to this program. I started my application earlier last month but never finished it and then a day ago received an email about finishing it. I was wondering would be worth the time to complete it consider most SMPs have already started sending out decisions.

Thanks for your help!

If it's a program you're interested in and have the money to pay for than I think it would be a good idea to finish your application. I interviewed a few weeks ago and I know they run interviews in May/June. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

If it's a program you're interested in and have the money to pay for than I think it would be a good idea to finish your application. I interviewed a few weeks ago and I know they run interviews in May/June. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

That's good advice. Thanks LehighValleyMD!

I just received my acceptance today! So pumped. I'm pretty confident I will be attending in the fall - just have to figure out my finances/housing situations.

Hi Everyone, just accepted my offer into the MBS Program! Does the pre-matriculation tab show up right away on the student portal or does it take a while??

Hi Everyone, just accepted my offer into the MBS Program! Does the pre-matriculation tab show up right away on the student portal or does it take a while??

I accepted my offer as well. I haven't heard/seen anything other than an e-mail for the Princeton Review Prep course. Are we supposed to be expecting a pre-matriculation tab anytime soon?

Hi all!, Congrats on all your acceptances to this years MBS program, I a truly excited for a new chapter in my life helping me get closer to getting accepted into medical school. Does anyone know if there is a TCMC Class of 2015' group on facebook?

does anyone know when the letters of rec have to be in by?

For the MBS program, if I have a 25 MCAT, 3.46 Cumulative GPA, and a 3.28 Science GPA. Would it really benefit me to enroll into this program? (already been accepted)

For the MBS program, if I have a 25 MCAT, 3.46 Cumulative GPA, and a 3.28 Science GPA. Would it really benefit me to enroll into this program? (already been accepted)

This is just my opinion but I believe it would. This is contingent upon several factors though and I'm not quite sure what your goals are other than to become a physician. If you have a passion for community-based/under-served medicine and/or have ties to NEPA this is would be a great fit. But you also have to consider finances and several other factors. I have a similar GPA/MCAT and will be attending the MBS program - currently I am enrolled in the offered MCAT prep for this summer before classes start for the fall semester. Ultimately, this is an opportunity. This is how I see it - it will only be beneficial if great effort and work are put in like other post-baccalaureate/SMP programs. I wish you well!

This is just my opinion but I believe it would. This is contingent upon several factors though and I'm not quite sure what your goals are other than to become a physician. If you have a passion for community-based/under-served medicine and/or have ties to NEPA this is would be a great fit. But you also have to consider finances and several other factors. I have a similar GPA/MCAT and will be attending the MBS program - currently I am enrolled in the offered MCAT prep for this summer before classes start for the fall semester. Ultimately, this is an opportunity. This is how I see it - it will only be beneficial if great effort and work are put in like other post-baccalaureate/SMP programs. I wish you well!

Hey are you planning on applying to med schools this year or are you going to wait until after you complete MBS program? If you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I just completed my application today, and I can't wait to hear back. Good Luck to all the other applicants, and those already accepted. :)

Hey are you planning on applying to med schools this year or are you going to wait until after you complete MBS program? If you don't mind me asking.

It all depends on how well I do on my MCAT in July. If I knock it out of the ballpark I might consider applying in August even though that's fairly late in the game. If I did apply - it would be a small set of schools mostly in PA with TCMC obviously being on the top of my list. That being said I think it might also be beneficial to have a full year of classes (with hopefully good grades) and then apply next summer in addition to applying for the HPSP via the U.S. Navy.

It all depends on how well I do on my MCAT in July. If I knock it out of the ballpark I might consider applying in August even though that's fairly late in the game. If I did apply - it would be a small set of schools mostly in PA with TCMC obviously being on the top of my list. That being said I think it might also be beneficial to have a full year of classes (with hopefully good grades) and then apply next summer in addition to applying for the HPSP via the U.S. Navy.

Good points! One of my concerns is the gap year it would create. I called the admission office and asked what graduates typically do in their gap year, she advised that some do research, volunteer, etc. I'm just not sure what I will do in yet another gap year after completing the MBS. Another major issue, is the MCAT. I agree that it will be wise to apply to schools only until you receive your score back. However, I have an issue with taking the MCAT so late during the summer. According to the MBS schedule, the summer Princeton Review course (which I plan on taking) doesn't end until late July, which means I won't take the MCAT until late July-early August, which would have my score released by early September, which would have my application processed by late September- early October. That sucks! :(

Good points! One of my concerns is the gap year it would create. I called the admission office and asked what graduates typically do in their gap year, she advised that some do research, volunteer, etc. I'm just not sure what I will do in yet another gap year after completing the MBS. Another major issue, is the MCAT. I agree that it will be wise to apply to schools only until you receive your score back. However, I have an issue with taking the MCAT so late during the summer. According to the MBS schedule, the summer Princeton Review course (which I plan on taking) doesn't end until late July, which means I won't take the MCAT until late July-early August, which would have my score released by early September, which would have my application processed by late September- early October. That sucks! :(
Yeah, I figured the same thing. Gonna take the MCAT course after completing the MBS program and apply next August..

I accepted my invitation to this program this week. How many people here are going in with me? Not sure how psyched I am about moving back home to Scranton but it'll be an interesting year.

Quick question. Found a place .90 miles from the school that all utilities included (Gas, Heat, Water, Sewer, Trash) except electricity. It is partially furnished as well. This is for $800/mo. Do you guys recommend this?

The pro's i see are that it is close to the school, partially furnished, and heat is included (which can be $100+/mo at times.

The con's I see are the price!

What do you all think? Thank you so much.

Quick question. Found a place .90 miles from the school that all utilities included (Gas, Heat, Water, Sewer, Trash) except electricity. It is partially furnished as well. This is for $800/mo. Do you guys recommend this?

The pro's i see are that it is close to the school, partially furnished, and heat is included (which can be $100+/mo at times.

The con's I see are the price!

What do you all think? Thank you so much.

Apart from any financial situations this seems like a good deal. I'm going to stay at the lofts ($950 everything included on one bill) which is about 1.5 miles away from school. 0.9 miles is borderline walking distance and almost everything is included in your rent which is convenient. I know you can find other apartments for cheaper rent but many do not include all the utilities like yours and likely not nearly as nice as the one you are looking at either. It seems to be a tradeoff. Either way, the rent is much cheaper than what I paid to live down in Philly and up at college. If your close enough to make a trip to Scranton I'd suggest you do it. I went up with my buddy from college and looked around everywhere for apartments, complexes and the such. Good luck!

Hey! Can someone tell me what the interview was like? I hate interviews - I tend to get super nervous. I guess thankfully it's going to help that I have to do a phone interview instead of an in-person one, but can anyone shed some more light on it? Thanks!

Thank you so much, doctorlyfe!