The Decision!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonyRx

Hamburglar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well guys and gals, this is it. Tonight at 9pm, the greatest moment in United States history will take place. An over rated, arrogant, spoiled, marketing sideshow will announce which NBA team he will play for next season. A man with no championships, a record of choking in the playoffs and a habit for gobbling up TV face time will let the WHOLE world know his decision in a prime time TV special called "The Decision." :eek:

The suspense is unbearable. Will he join Miami, Chicago, NY, NJ or Cleveland? Or will he be kidnapped, placed in a shuttle and sent off into the depths of space never to be seen again? Who knows? Your thoughts? Tune in.

Members don't see this ad.

I prefer Kevin Durants Twitter. His staying with OKC will be bigger news in 5 years than this overrated circus act going on now.

Well guys and gals, this is it. Tonight at 9pm, the greatest moment in United States history will take place. An over rated, arrogant, spoiled, marketing sideshow will announce which NBA team he will play for next season. A man with no championships, a record of choking in the playoffs and a habit for gobbling up TV face time will let the WHOLE world know his decision in a prime time TV special called "The Decision." :eek:

The suspense is unbearable. Will he join Miami, Chicago, NY, NJ or Cleveland? Or will he be kidnapped, placed in a shuttle and sent off into the depths of space never to be seen again? Who knows? Your thoughts? Tune in.

I couldn't agree more! I am huge bball fan (you know this anthony) and this has dragged out for so long Im ready for it to be done.

I would like him to join us ( us being the heat with the recent addition of Bosh) but my gut feeling says he will stay put.

Members don't see this ad :)
ESPN thinks its going to be Miami... I think Chicago would be a better choice in the long term. Lebron certainly wrapped the media into a frenzy though.

More importantly, since Cleveland can offer him more money than any other team, we'll find the answer to a longer running question-is there enough money to make someone want to live in Cleveland?

things aren't going to be getting any easier for my orlando magic.

Tell me about it - I wore #6 long before the Shaq and Penny days... Its been one big disappointment after another. At least Miami games will be fun to watch again.

i mean, even if heat get all those guys they still won't have a decent center to bang with dwight howard in the middle (unless they bring shaq back). i still think the magic are contenders with their lineup i just wish they had another superstar at sg/sf to pair with dwight. thats what carter was supposed to be but he went flat in the playoffs.

i mean, even if heat get all those guys they still won't have a decent center to bang with dwight howard in the middle (unless they bring shaq back). i still think the magic are contenders with their lineup i just wish they had another superstar at sg/sf to pair with dwight. thats what carter was supposed to be but he went flat in the playoffs.
Carter just doesn't have that winning attitude like other elite players such as Pierce and Kobe. I think all Miami has to do is get a decent defensive center (I was thinking Haywood but I think he just signed with Dallas). Wade and James are top 5 in the league and Bosh is probably top 10 so they will create big matchup problems.

Yea, I love basketball too...but this whole sideshow is annoying. For me it tarnishes the game and the likes of MJ, Bird, Magic, Wilt, Russel and so on. Those guys never put on such a marketing/media frenzy for just a contract signing.

Lebron is a product of our "reality tv" generation and societies current obsession with drama and other peoples lives. As for the Magic, they will still be strong...but it will only make it tougher for them to contend year after year.

I think he's gonna go to either Miami or NY though, staying in Cleveland is suicide and NJ and Chicago are long shots. But whatever, let just get this thing over with....aahhhh!

Im telling you, Kevin Durant will be a bigger deal in 5 years. The fans are starting to hate LBJ for the first time.

I'm sorry to say but NBA is one of the biggest scam ever on earth. Do you know all scores/matches/results are already set up??? I mean, yes, it changes every minutes, but my friends, it's due to setup...not because of how good a player is. Of course Kobe Bryant is good, but that doesn't mean he can play well all the time....do you notice some games he played very very bad......why? because it's a scam.

I stopped watching basketball since long time ago...when i knew it's just like wrestling...all fake...my heart died a bit...oh well...life goes on.

I think it'd be great if LeBron went to the Clippers (he won't) or decided to go to pharmacy school (maybe). But I think he'll end up in Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
btw, NBA is set up in a way...that the result can change every second...so people would think it's a very interesting game to watch...lol...what a good scam! It's the Vegas who can control it.....it's them to decide when to win/lose, and by how many points.

I'm sorry to say but NBA is one of the biggest scam ever on earth. Do you know all scores/matches/results are already set up??? I mean, yes, it changes every minutes, but my friends, it's due to setup...not because of how good a player is. Of course Kobe Bryant is good, but that doesn't mean he can play well all the time....do you notice some games he played very very bad......why? because it's a scam.

I stopped watching basketball since long time ago...when i knew it's just like wrestling...all fake...my heart died a bit...oh well...life goes on.

Stop reading conspiracy books first off, this post holds less weight then WVU talking about lake fish sandwiches.

People still watch the NBA? When did that happen???? They're advertising tag line should be:

Where every jump shot is an adventure....

or

Root for X, less criminals on the roster than the average team...

People still watch the NBA? When did that happen???? They're advertising tag line should be:

Where every jump shot is an adventure....

or

Root for X, less criminals on the roster than the average team...

This "Decision" stunt is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen in sports.

I used to be indifferent about LeBron (no one's done it for me since MJ), but now I think he's a total joke making a spectacle like this.

(no one's done it for me since MJ)

MJ could not carry this guy's jock:

wilt_chamberlain_010160.jpg

Wilt Chamberlain The greatest player off all time. Period. They had to change the rules because of him. 100 points in one game. A season where he scored 50 points a game. Leader in rebounding, leader in assists....
http://www.nba.com/history/players/chamberlain_summary.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain

I just got an update on my msnbc app about where LeBron James is going.

Not going to spoil you with details :smuggrin:

I feel sorry for Cleveland lol.

What a jackass. He is an idiot, he just lost his crown and will now be known as Dwayne Wade's sidekick. He's a coward, he'll be known for not being able to win by himself, but having to go to a team that already has 2 all stars. Then LeBitch is gonna show up at Yankees Stadium and act like he did nothing wrong.

What a jackass. He is an idiot, he just lost his crown and will now be known as Dwayne Wade's sidekick. He's a coward, he'll be known for not being able to win by himself, but having to go to a team that already has 2 all stars. Then LeBitch is gonna show up at Yankees Stadium and act like he did nothing wrong.

Wrong...

Not that I care where he ends up but he has been with the Cavs for 7 years without a ring. He is not getting any younger, he needs to win big, whatever it takes.

He is too much a phenom to grow older without a major win. Sometimes you have to pick a winner to win.

lol 3 mins announcement is not enough... they HAVE TO make 1 hour session telling the world where the hell he is going... seriously???

Lebitch? Haha! I love it. Yea, I hope this SUPER team in Miami implodes on itself, then catches fire and the smoke from the fire then haunts Lebron like a shadow for the rest of his life.

That has to be the most ignorant comment about bball if have ever read! Who wins a championship by themselves??!! Can you tell me one person who did that in the history of the league? and I will tell you at least one other person on the same team with whom they wouldn't have done it without. Hell even with all the crazy shots Kobe put up this past playoffs, Ron artest still made the most pivotal plays that changed the course of series....At the end of the day some people just wanna win and dont care. Kevin garnett did the same thing when he left minnesota. You CANNOT win alone....dont care who you are. You will ALWAYS need at least one other consistent star and a good supporting cast!!

I could not have said it better myself, Lebron has to be the most overrated player in history, lol (and I use to be a Wag Store manager, good luck with school)

Wrong...

Not that I care where he ends up but he has been with the Cavs for 7 years without a ring. He is not getting any younger, he needs to win big, whatever it takes.

He is too much a phenom to grow older without a major win. Sometimes you have to pick a winner to win.

"If you want to win, make it a win."

That has to be the most ignorant comment about bball if have ever read! Who wins a championship by themselves??!! Can you tell me one person who did that in the history of the league? and I will tell you at least one other person on the same team with whom they wouldn't have done it without. Hell even with all the crazy shots Kobe put up this past playoffs, Ron artest still made the most pivotal plays that changed the course of series....At the end of the day some people just wanna win and dont care. Kevin garnett did the same thing when he left minnesota. You CANNOT win alone....dont care who you are. You will ALWAYS need at least one other consistent star and a good supporting cast!!

He would have had that in NY with Stoudemire and Gallinari, and possibly Carmelo Anthony and Tony Parker come 2011.

Now, he can never be used in the same sentence as Kobe or Michael.

He would have had that in NY with Stoudemire and Gallinari, and possibly Carmelo Anthony and Tony Parker come 2011.

Kobe also cannot be used in the same sentence as Michael. Even though I just did it.....this is the last time it is allowed! =)

MJ could not carry this guy's jock:

wilt_chamberlain_010160.jpg

Wilt Chamberlain The greatest player off all time. Period. They had to change the rules because of him. 100 points in one game. A season where he scored 50 points a game. Leader in rebounding, leader in assists....
http://www.nba.com/history/players/chamberlain_summary.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain

You know Shaq in his prime would have destroyed him right? Also, before you go all Shaq can't shoot free throws, look up WIlts career percentage =p

i agree, he needs d-wade/bosh, cant do it on his own. not even that, i dont think this is a great team. yes, should easily get 50 wins but they have 2 slashers, a post guy, no shooters/role players, and can only offer min salaries. GOODLUCK MIAMI

Basketball sucks

Lebron just became the biggest villian in the NBA, does anyone else feel like Vince McMahon from WWE was behind this too?

Lebron just became the biggest villian in the NBA, does anyone else feel like Vince McMahon from WWE was behind this too?

Only Vince McMahon or.... Dr. Claw could be behind this. :scared:

Don't forget that the intent of this whole thing is a 5 year plan. They could easily pull a hat-trick within 5 years with little signings here and there.
Plus remember amare maxed out...do u really think you can have amare, lebron, carmello, tony parker and gallinari on one team? You will cap out soooo fast....you pretty much wouldnt have a bench!

On a side note...I was a stoudemire/phoenix fan and I woulda have preferred to see him go to NY because I would like for amare to have a chance to win. But I cant call Lebron gay or say it's a b*tch move because at the end of the day, when dynasties are created, great players will still be called great players. He might have taken the whole legacy thing away, but he will still make headlines and he has all the money he can muster, so he just wants to be a winner, and there's nothing wrong with that. There are other big time players who deep down in places they don't want to admit, are hurting so bad without a ring, and would rather see rings on their fingers than creating some legacy where people will still end up saying " But he never won anything tho' ....so u can't compare him to this and that person." And just like he may or may not win in miami, it really is not guranteed in NY or chicago either. But u gotta admit that is a combination to be worried about.

Well it sure does look like lebron has turned heel. No but seriously, i think this might in the end hurt lebron. Not so much the going to miami but the way he did it reeked of arrogance. The lebron brand is now certainly tarnished, in my eyes anyways.

You know Shaq in his prime would have destroyed him right? Also, before you go all Shaq can't shoot free throws, look up WIlts career percentage =p

You must be very young. Very young. I don't know how you could possibly say that.

Wilt Chamberlain:

• 1045 games
  • 47,859 minutes
  • 31,419 points
  • 23,924 rebounds (#1 in NBA History)
  • 45 minutes per game (#1 in NBA History)
  • 30.1 points per game (#2 in NBA History (.005 ppg less than Jordan)
  • 22.9 rebounds per game (#1 in NBA History)
  • 4.4 assists per game (#1 for Centers in NBA History)
Shaquille O'Neal:

• 1170 games
  • 41,155 minutes
  • 28,255 points
  • 12,921 rebounds (#14 in NBA History)
  • 35.2 minutes per game (#81 in NBA History)
  • 24.1 points per game (#19 in NBA History)
  • 11 rebounds per game (#26 in NBA History)
  • 2.6 assists per game
Wilt Chamberlain was a superior athlete and a superior basketball player. He played against much tougher competition. He had to play under the rim (no dunking). He NEVER fouled out of a game. Not one time. Look at the minutes per game. Wilt's lowest season was 42 minutes per game and Shaq's highest was 40. At the end of his career, he played more minutes than Shaq in his prime. Wilt could run with anybody on the floor. He has more assists per game than many guards that are in Hall of Fame. He played at a high level for 14 years. The marque numbers tell even more.

Wilt in his prime 1961-1962

• Played all 80 games
  • 48.5 minutes per game
  • 100 point game
  • 50 points per game
  • 25.7 rebounds per game

What prime did Shaq have that would allow him to do anything besides ask for Wilt's autograph? Wilt Chamberlain was THE MOST DOMINATING player in the history of the NBA.

I did a little more digging and while he was at K.U. and dominating college basketball he also ran track & field. He ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, put the shot 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years. Shaq was nowhere near the athlete that Wilt was

Last edited:

Basketball was played before 1984. There are two dominating players in NBA history. There is Wilt Chamberlain and there is Michael Jordan. There is nobody else close to the level they reached. Not Shaq, not Kobe, not Lebron, nobody....

If you havent already, go read Bill Simmons mailbag on espn.com with all of the emails he got, and even his article before "the debocle". Simmons is one of my top fav sports writers. But reading these peoples emails makes me hurt for them but laugh at the same time. Thanks Lebron for making me laugh at work.

You must be very young. Very young. I don't know how you could possibly say that.

Wilt Chamberlain:

• 1045 games
  • 47,859 minutes
  • 31,419 points
Shaquille O'Neal:

• 1170 games
  • 41,155 minutes
  • 28,255 points
  • 2.6 assists per game
Wilt Chamberlain was a superior athlete and a superior basketball player. He played against much tougher competition. He had to play under the rim (no dunking). He NEVER fouled out of a game. Not one time. Look at the minutes per game. Wilt's lowest season was 42 minutes per game and Shaq's highest was 40. At the end of his career, he played more minutes than Shaq in his prime. Wilt could run with anybody on the floor. He has more assists per game than many guards that are in Hall of Fame. He played at a high level for 14 years. The marque numbers tell even more.

• Played all 80 games
  • 48.5 minutes per game
  • 100 point game
  • 50 points per game
  • 25.7 rebounds per game

What prime did Shaq have that would allow him to do anything besides ask for Wilt's autograph? Wilt Chamberlain was THE MOST DOMINATING player in the history of the NBA.

I did a little more digging and while he was at K.U. and dominating college basketball he also ran track & field. He ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, put the shot 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years. Shaq was nowhere near the athlete that Wilt was

This post is crazy organized... Sometimes OT... Damn

Side note - This was a solid move for Lebron. He handled the situation horribly (both with grandstanding and professionalism), but moving was definitely in the cards. Seven years was long enough to build a team around him. He is taking less money to play with guys he wants to play with - I don't find anything wrong with that.

Wilt Chamberlain:

• 1045 games
  • 47,859 minutes
  • 31,419 points
Shaquille O'Neal:

• 1170 games
  • 41,155 minutes
  • 28,255 points
  • 2.6 assists per game

• Played all 80 games
  • 48.5 minutes per game
  • 100 point game
  • 50 points per game
  • 25.7 rebounds per game

All those numbers mean absolutely nothing next to each other because they played in different eras. I don't deny that Wilt was the most dominant player of his era, just like Shaq was the most dominant of his. But really, look at your picture again. If you take Bill Russel and Wilt and smosh them together, you might have Shaqs upper body. Wilt competed in track and field, whoopty do. Shaq went full speed to the rim with 370 pounds of beef, and if you stayed in the way you were sorry.

Babe Ruth hit more home runs in a season than two major league teams COMBINED, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to say he was a significantly better hitted than some of the best hitters today. Same goes for Wilt, he just could not be nearly as dominant in the 90s-2000s. Going up against Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq, Zo, Duncan/Robinson, he would be lucky to be better than half those players on any given night. Better than Shaq? Lets be serious.

Edit: I wish I could drop shaq in the 1960s. He would score 75 points a night, in 38 minutes played.

Last edited:
I like both; Shaq and Wilt, but find it nearly impossible to compare/contrast them. Totally different era's of NBA with different rules, styles and competition. Makes for a great "What If" debate though. :idea:

I must say, I was a little shocked when I saw Wilt's stats. I always knew he was sick, but man he basically owned the NBA when he played. :thumbup:

Edit: I wish I could drop shaq in the 1960s. He would score 75 points a night, in 38 minutes played.

Your entire premise is wrong. The level of competition in the 60's when Wilt played is far superior to the present competition. There were no 10 win teams in the old NBA. Every game was a battle. The game was much more physical then. No touch fouls like now. He played 45 minutes a game. He was a better athlete than Shaq.

I must say, I was a little shocked when I saw Wilt's stats. I always knew he was sick, but man he basically owned the NBA when he played. :thumbup:

He owns the NBA now. He owns just about any record he could. The only one close to him in points per game is Jordan and be beats him by 0.05 ppg. When Shaq overtakes Wilt any category, let me know.

Your entire premise is wrong. The level of competition in the 60's when Wilt played is far superior to the present competition. There were no 10 win teams in the old NBA. Every game was a battle. The game was much more physical then. No touch fouls like now. He played 45 minutes a game. He was a better athlete than Shaq.

p.s. Babe Ruth was the greatest Baseball Player of all time. Besides the home runs, he could pitch, he could run. He could do it all. And like Chamberlain, he changed the game. He did it all while drinking, smoking and carousing. If if played in shape, he might have hit 1400 home runs.

He owns the NBA now. He owns just about any record he could. The only one close to him in points per game is Jordan and be beats him by 0.05 ppg. When Shaq overtakes Wilt any category, let me know.

p.s. Babe Ruth was the greatest Baseball Player of all time. Besides the home runs, he could pitch, he could run. He could do it all. And like Chamberlain, he changed the game. He did it all while drinking, smoking and carousing. If if played in shape, he might have hit 1400 home runs.

Old Timer, I am starting to think that you have not really watched basketball within the last 20 years. No 10 win teams back in your day huh? It's a little dated but it makes my point:

http://pw1.netcom.com/~bjalas/basketball/nba_worst_records_by_team.htm

You really think that an era with salaries were measured in tens of thousands can compete with todays game where there are generations of children doing nothing but playing basketball 24/7 to have just a tiny shot at making it into the NBA and it's guaranteed tens-hundreds of millions? Not to mention basketball starting to have a WORLD-WIDE following, bringing the best players the WORLD has to offer as opposed to just the USA during Wilts time.

During your lifetime, sports have changed from a hobby (many athletes had second jobs to support themselves/family through offseasons) to a full-time profession. Guys today are bigger, stronger, and faster. Period.

Babe Ruth dominated his time. So did Dick Butkus. So did Wilt Chamberlin. They would still be outclassed today by Pujols, Ray Lewis, and Shaq and other athletes of the 1990s-2000s. So it will be 30 years from now when I am on this board talking about how Shaq was the best ever:love:.