The "Disinformation Dozen" - Three are DOs (and another is one of their spouses). When will the AOA actually address this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are you even talking about?
I'm talking about 50% of the population not being vaccinated perpetuating a global pandemic. Calling them stupid and repeating the same things provides no solution.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand where you are coming from. It looks like even psych has this issue. Would you agree as a psych attending?
Psychiatry's pendulum has swung in a few ways. We were forced to change patient-provider relationships because of very serious atrocities that were relatively recent. I would say that we value psychiatry and mental health as a whole more than any time in human existence. That means a lot more business, and with that comes more people trying to get their cut and control it; ie administrators who don't care to work with physicians in the first place. That being said, I'm of the opinion that because of the vulnerability of our population, the level of paternalism needed to practice, that we are insulated from NP encroachment.

I'm talking about 50% of the population not being vaccinated perpetuating a global pandemic. Calling them stupid and repeating the same things provides no solution.
I think you might be responding to the wrong person. Once again, I’m talking about physicians. Not the public.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you might be responding to the wrong person. Once again, I’m talking about physicians. Not the public.
I think they’re one and the same. And they can be useful to the cause, as they obviously have a pulse on the antivax public. To dismiss them as people who were lucky to get into a medical school because of lower DO standards seems inaccurate and fruitless.

Reactions: 1 user
Psychiatry's pendulum has swung in a few ways. We were forced to change patient-provider relationships because of very serious atrocities that were relatively recent. I would say that we value psychiatry and mental health as a whole more than any time in human existence. That means a lot more business, and with that comes more people trying to get their cut and control it; ie administrators who don't care to work with physicians in the first place. That being said, I'm of the opinion that because of the vulnerability of our population, the level of paternalism needed to practice, that we are insulated from NP encroachment.
Sorry. Should have clarified. I'm asking if you think psych docs have the same problem understanding these anti-vaxxers types or if their specialty training has helped reduce this.

Sorry. Should have clarified. I'm asking if you think psych docs have the same problem understanding these anti-vaxxers types or if their specialty training has helped reduce this.
As far as understanding them? It’s really not that hard. They’re groups that feel dismissed who already have distrust of authorities (minorities, trump supporters). In terms of reducing it I don’t know. I can only speculate and say probably? 80% of our job is developing a trusting relationship and facilitating insight. If one of these groups is in my clinic and I’ve convinced them to take psychotropics then I usually dont have a hard time convincing them to get the vaccine.

I think they’re one and the same. And they can be useful to the cause, as they obviously have a pulse on the antivax public. To dismiss them as people who were lucky to get into a medical school because of lower DO standards seems inaccurate and fruitless.

Dude I cannot follow your logic. You seriously see no difference between a graduate of medical school not understanding how vaccines work and a non-physician or non-scientist?

Dude I cannot follow your logic. You seriously see no difference between a graduate of medical school not understanding how vaccines work and a non-physician or non-scientist?
You’re just not getting it. Neither one cares about the science. It’s about a belief. Think about these doctors as more like religious leaders, not providers.

Last edited:

Now can someone explain to me how a Cornell medical school grad who did a fellowship at NYU became this delirious? Am I missing something?
I read an account from one of her classmates. Apparently she was always failing everything and they didn't know how she even managed to graduate.

I read an account from one of her classmates. Apparently she was always failing everything and they didn't know how she even managed to graduate.
Meanwhile she’s a multimillionaire with more influence than her entire class put together. How many of her classmates make cringe posts on IG just for a free pair of Figs. Think about that for a second.

I sincerely believe physicians who have antivax views are really just in it to scam people.

There are actually studies on this stuff and increasing knowledge and educating people on the science isn’t that effective. Most of the people I see posting anti-sci crap on facebook ”know“ how to check for accuracy, they just don’t care to actually do it because whatever they are posting is reinforcing their beliefs.

The physicians seem to either be scamming people (i think this is a lot of it), attention seeking, are establishing themselves as part of a group, or are set in some belief system and then use faulty logic/science/whatever to support those beliefs.

Reactions: 3 users