The dreaded Organic Chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verloren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how much does it really matter if you get B's in organic chem?

/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i can't tell you what adcoms are thinking, but i can tell you that on most of my secondaries, i had to list all the pre-req courses and the grades i got in them. (this after putting everything into AMCAS and submitting transcripts. annoying!) i took this to mean that although the obviously look at your GPA, they pay some extra attention to the pre-reqs.

that said, a couple of Bs in pre-reqs certainly will not kill your application :rolleyes:

If it's hopkins you're after, it's probably not the one or two B's that'll keep you out. It'll be the lack of (which may not be true in your case) something *spectacular* that makes them want to have you. They can get 3.9's and 4.0's easily. I imagine they'd take some B's (with a high GPA that is) if you've got the other stuff going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into medical school with a B in Orgo I, an A- in Orgo II and a B in the lab (man I hated Orgo lab) and a GPA around 3.7, but I'm definitely not at Hopkins.

I agree that the B's in and of themselves might not kill your chances of going to a school like that, but Hopkins probably has certain criteria they're looking for, and if you don't meet them, you likely won't get in.

It would seem unreasonable for some place like your local State U. to reject you because you made a whopping B in o-chem. If they want to be jerks about it then that's probably not the best school for you to be attending anyway. You'll get in somewhere as long as you've got the whole package.

They do look at each of your classes individually. Getting a B, or even a C in organic chem is not an application killer in itself.

For most of the year I thought what your sister says was true -- we used no/little chem, biochem, organic chem, physics, or math, but I've realized recently that it isn't true. Physiology is largely about physics and math. Physiology, neuroscience, and biochem use a little bit of organic and math.

If it's hopkins you're after, it's probably not the one or two B's that'll keep you out. It'll be the lack of (which may not be true in your case) something *spectacular* that makes them want to have you. They can get 3.9's and 4.0's easily. I imagine they'd take some B's (with a high GPA that is) if you've got the other stuff going on.

This is the truth. Hopkins won't screen your app out for a couple of B's. But that said, a solid GPA, even 4.0, and a boss MCAT score won't get you in there either. You need to have something outstanding and unique in your EC's and/or personal experience to get into a school like that.

So the three B/B+'s won't hurt as long as my GPA is still around 3.77, I do well on the MCAT, and there is something spectacular about my application.

Leadership in Colleges against Cancer, volunteering at the Hopkins pediatric oncology clinic, research for 1 yr+ at Hopkins SOM, honors research poster and paper, leadership in a cultural club, studying abroad, creative writing minor...what do you think?

I definitely also plan to shadow a bunch of doctors, many of them probably at Hopkins because it's closest. I'm also trying hard to get some of my creative writing published...

That stuff is great, and I'm sure you'll have success this cycle. Just don't get your hopes up too high for Hopkins. A lot of applicants have similar experience to yours. Getting published with your writing would be a great idea. I would also make as many physician contacts as you can from Hopkins through shadowing, volunteering, or whatever. A few LOR's or phone calls from docs at the school could definitely help your chances.

Well, I have a 3.89 GPA and I'm looking dead straight at a B in Orgo II, which puts me at 3 B's too. I wasn't looking as high as Hopkins though, I would have been satisfied with my state school, given how hard it is to get in the first place.

Your kindness breaks my lil heart! I'm actually a college sophomore, so I'm not applying until next year.

And yeah I am in the process of emailing Hopkins docs to ask them to let me shadow them... :)

Good, well shoot for straight A's, make your contacts, and beef up your research and experience and you should be fine. Maryland is a great school if Hopkin's doesn't work out. I wouldn't worry too much about grading, curriculum, or anything like that. If you get into Hopkins or another huge name, that's one thing. Otherwise I would just focus on minimizing debt.