The effect of LOI on waitlist ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old ortho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question for those of you who know the admission process. When you are on the waitlist or alternate list of a medical school, how much difference is there if you send in occasional LOI and updates (your EC, achievement, your interest in this school) comparing to someone who does not send in updates?

Let's say there are two top students on the waitlist and there is one opening coming up. Student A has a score of 87, but never send in an update. Student B has a score of 86, but send in several Letter of Interests and updates. Would Admission Committee re-evaluate after May 1 (or whatever the date is) and give more points to Student B? Please reply only if you know for a fact, not based on guessing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Call this a 'fact' if you'd like, but I read a story on SDN about a kid who got waitlisted at 2 schools, both bottom third. They were his last shots at an acceptance. He KEPT sending letters of intent/update/and interest and a couple days before classes started he got off the waitlist at BOTH schools. Who's this guy? Don't remember? What schools? Don't know.

Most of the responses you're gonna get are "I know a kid who..." because most of us do not know the admissions process from the other end.

Fact of the matter is, showing interest will work well at some schools and not at all at other schools. If you're both at the top, I assume they'll pick you over the guy who hasn't said zip. Maybe LizzyM and REL can respond, but I assume they'll tell you something similar.

Perfect title for a junior high science fair poster, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are on the waitlist or alternate list of a medical school, how much difference is there if you send in occasional LOI and updates (your EC, achievement, your interest in this school) comparing to someone who does not send in updates?
What is a fact at one school will be a guess at another.

A better question is whether or not occassional LOI and updates can hurt your application, and the answer is "no".

Most of the responses you're gonna get are "I know a kid who..." because most of us do not know the admissions process from the other end.

:bow: Trudat.

Can't hurt but won't make up for bad numbers. Just remember that schools are more concerned about you passing your boards than how much compassion or desire you have. You'll send the LOI regardless of what we say. :luck:

Well I sent in a LOI to Rosalind, thats were I want to go. I figure it cant hurt. I will also send some type of update if i dont hear anything in the near future. I would say do it, it cant hurt.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to call up the school you want to send your LOI to, and ask them if it would increase your chances of getting in.

Also I recently sat in on a presentation by the Director of Admissions at the University of Michigan Med School and he said that Michigan likes getting LOIs because at the very least they will know who still wants to go to their school even after being put on the wait list, and who has accepted admission offers from other schools....

Can you send a letter of interest (not intent) to more than one school? How much communication happens between schools? Would schools know if you've sent a letter of interest to another school?

Can you send a letter of interest (not intent) to more than one school? How much communication happens between schools? Would schools know if you've sent a letter of interest to another school?

Yes you can.

Probably none.

Probably won't bother asking other schools.

Call this a 'fact' if you'd like, but I read a story on SDN about a kid who got waitlisted at 2 schools, both bottom third. They were his last shots at an acceptance. He KEPT sending letters of intent/update/and interest and a couple days before classes started he got off the waitlist at BOTH schools. Who's this guy? Don't remember? What schools? Don't know.

I think this is the post that Robizzle is referring to:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1216797&postcount=1

This is such an inspiration to those of us on waitlist. Thanks for sharing.

What is a fact at one school will be a guess at another.

Agreed. OP, no one can answer your questions. Some schools put great weight in knowing that an applicant genuinely wants to go there. Others stick to whatever rank they assigned their waitlist. Some schools use the waitlist fairly extensively, others barely at all. So no answer you get will apply to other than that particular school, and any anecdotal evidence you hear likely only pertains to that particular year and individual.

A well written letter won't hurt you. A lot or a poorly written one might.

We had the assistant dean of admissions for CUHSC come down, and someone asked him this question. He said he didn't really care about them and that the ranks on the waitlist are the orders in which admission is granted to. But I've head they put a whole lot of time into organizing that list (like, they still haven't gotten it out for this year).

lol, but see, since everyone else thinks sending LOIs is a big deal, pretty much everyone on the waitlist sends LOIs now :(

In fact I was talking with this doctor (who was doing my physical for the place I was going to volunteer at), and she mentioned how she didn't get in the first time (since I had said I didn't have any acceptances yet, and was worried I might get in this round) but ended up doing just fine (made chief resident, etc.) and she mentioned how the first time she was on the Cornell waitlist and she wrote sooo many letters to no avail. I mention this not to say that LOI's don't work, but to say that people have been doing this since she was first applying to medical school, and she's finished with residency now so that's a decade (since she took time off before reapplying).

Anyways, of course if you're the one person who doesn't write an LOI for a school that does care, it'd probably be a mistake, lol.

so, which is better, sending out an LOI now, or about 2 weeks before may 15th so its still fresh in adcoms' minds once waitlists start to move?

so, which is better, sending out an LOI now, or about 2 weeks before may 15th so its still fresh in adcoms' minds once waitlists start to move?

I think for a school that wants them, it's best to send LOI early and then send a continued letter of interest later on, ie closer to 5/15. and then if still nothing then send another one in june. that's my game plan at least...
but don't keep saying the same thing. send updates and new reasons why you like them n think ud be good for them. dont just say ill def go here with a few lame reasons. they can tell which letter is genuine and which isn't.

thanks to all fro the advice-this somehow gives me energy to keep pushing for my 2 WLs.
grrrr.

wow. this is all good information. i'm trying to keep my hope alive. good luck to all.

What about extra LOR's? does that also help your case when you are on waitlists?

I am not sure how much LOI will affect your chances if you haven't gotten in anywhere, but I was told by Admissions at MCW if you already got in/hold a place in some school but are still on a waitlist at other schools you probably should send an LOI because they would prefer to know for sure if you would be attending their school before they contact the one you're already in to pull you out of there, or they might simply overlook your appl or put you in a lower pool if you already have an acceptance and don't express extra interest after being put on their alternate list.

Now when everyone on the waitlist sends a LOI because "it's the thing to do" is when it would seem trivial to send one. I wonder how many people of the waiting list actually send a LOI.