The Fashion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12balla

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on where to find nice fitted scrubs for men?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, I don't want to start a collection. I just feel we have a very limited time frame with which to build rapport with patients, and looking professional helps. It would also help to differentiate who's a nurse/md/tech etc if we wore different color scrubs/jackets.

I'm a medium build, but all the hospital scrubs I've tried on make me look like mc hammer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just wear a white coat when meeting your patients first?

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like they'll pretty much let anyone wear a white coat nowadays...but I still think it serves its purpose. Patients can still see the baggy scrubs though.

Designer fanny packs sounds like a lucrative business. I'm surprised nobody has tapped into that market yet. I'm actually considering developing personalized face masks that you can wear out in public. I'm sure there's a hipster nurse out there who is concerned about cross contamination from air outside the ORs.

How about keeping a nice clean OR jacket with your name K1MD Anesthesiology Resident. Don't buck the system out of the blocks. Keep your scrubs clean and always open good morning I'm Dr XYZ resident physician. Everyone else knows what you do. There was a clown at my residency who had his name on his shoes..... You could always do that and a forehead tattoo :)

I'm actually a new grad, but I get your point about not making too much of a ruckus anytime you're in a new place. I work a few gigs on the side that require I supply my own scrubs, which is why I asked for recommendations...

You don't think an embroided white coat is professional, but instead you think fitted scrubs are....

Use the hospital scrubs and save everyone from having to speculate about your sexual orientation.

Last edited:
Lol y'all crack me up. Where did I say a white coat is not professional? Work on your reading comprehension skills. There's nothing wrong in taking a little pride in how you look, but I appreciate the homophobic comments.

...I work a few gigs on the side that require I supply my own scrubs, which is why I asked for recommendations...

Ah, this is the crux of the matter. Though I think those gigs are silly that they require you to supply your own scrubs.

I made it a point to not bring them home unless I was desperately tired. Some of my classmates who had kids would do so regularly, and put them in the home laundry. I made no small deal about the insanity/stupidity of that practice with what we are exposed to, and how I wouldn't do it as a single guy.

Anyway, as to the answer to your question:
http://www.allheart.com/mens-scrubs/c/202/
http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-scrubs.jsp
http://www.uniformadvantage.com/pages/dpt/mens-uniforms.asp

This should give you a few places to go.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd be surprised if your hospital would even let you wear non-hospital scrubs in the sterile core. JC and state departments of health often have rules and audits related to this. At all three hospitals where I've worked, you wouldn't even be allowed into the OR in non-OR scrubs.

I'd be surprised if your hospital would even let you wear non-hospital scrubs in the sterile core. JC and state departments of health often have rules and audits related to this. At all three hospitals where I've worked, you wouldn't even be allowed into the OR in non-OR scrubs.

this

There's nothing wrong in taking a little pride in how you look...

Okay. Here's your answer. Your only answer.

When I was a resident we had a cardiac anesthesia attending who used to take a (few) pair of scrubs home with him, I assume wash them in his own washer and dryer, and then have them pressed. This is an option for you. Find a good fit with the ones provided. And do this. No one called him out on wearing non-OR scrubs because they weren't.

Forewarning: dude still stood out like a sore thumb with his neatly pressed scrubs. (You don't want to stand out like a sore thumb, especially as a resident.) And he was a bit of a prima donna to start with. Pressed scrubs didn't help that image.