The fellowship with the highest salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering what fellowship after anesthesia residency gives the most salary/h. Is it critical care, pain management or perhaps something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Just wondering what fellowship after anesthesia residency gives the most salary/h. Is it critical care, pain management or perhaps something else?
During the fellowship, or after? If it's after, it's probably cardiac. Although anything that helps you become a full partner will qualify.

Hey,

Pain is the highest, no question about it. The income potential in private practice is absurd (i.e., over $800,000/yr with a 4 day workweek)...BUT you have to deal with chronic pain patients, loads of paperwork, lovely insurance companies, etc. Choose your poison wisely.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with PP pain, but that is slowly changing.

In academics it really depends on a lot of things. Back at my program the CC attendings actually did the best due to how their ICU time counted as call.

In my PP group, Cardiac or Peds will equally boost your income, but that's because you have an increased call burden (you don't make any more on an hourly basis).

Reactions: 2 users
While cardiac and pain may increase your salary for now, but there has been some great advice on SDN recommending against picking a fellowship chasing the money. You might find yourself running in circles as payment systems restructure and reimbursement changes for procedures. Or, like myself, only a ridiculously high salary would make pain even begin to appeal to me - but that is a personal decision, some really enjoy the work.

Reactions: 2 users
Difficult to make enough additional to offset the year of lost wages inherent in doing the cardiac, pediatric, or ICU fellowship. Yes, if you compare an extremely lucrative cardiac anesthesia job to an average generalist job, then you will quickly make up the lost income. However, on average, the difference in income is hardly worth it for cardiac, peds, or ICU.

Reactions: 4 users
Difficult to make enough additional to offset the year of lost wages inherent in doing the cardiac, pediatric, or ICU fellowship. Yes, if you compare an extremely lucrative cardiac anesthesia job to an average generalist job, then you will quickly make up the lost income. However, on average, the difference in income is hardly worth it for cardiac, peds, or ICU.

And in the lucrative jobs you will really be working for your money. You don't get paid more because you have a fellowship. You get paid more because you are working harder, taking more call and generating more practice revenues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users