The Florida Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I come back to see if anyone has any updates and look what happens - a dramafest breaks out!

All joking aside, why doesn't everyone just relax for a second?! Yes, it really sucks that we have to wait yet another day (or possibly a couple more) for our responses, but on the other hand, it's not the end of the world.

While this forum is addictive, it doesn't hurt to take a break once in a while! ;) None of us need the extra stress. Maybe we'll have some news tomorrow! :luck:

No stress here! But now I have to go finish some work and try to get some rest before work in the a.m. ... is it at page 6 YET??

Members don't see this ad.

My expectation is their promise since we were told (a mix of IS and OOS) "expect them no later than Thursday the 3rd."

WOO HOO! Page 6 of posts!

Expecting is fun - kinda like waiting for babies to be born. I reckon the letters weren't in attendance at the meeting and didn't hear the schedule?:cool:

G'night

My two cents: At my interview session, Vickroy said to call if no letter by the 3rd. If you want to call, and I'm sure I will, then call. If you don't mind waiting, then don't call. If UF was that concerned about avoiding a million calls in one afternoon, they could have either 1) sent the letters out as scheduled, or, if that was for some reason beyond their control or they just changed their minds, 2)sent a mass email giving us an update (as previously mentioned)

I like to have time to make decisions, and not feel rushed. I'd like to feel settled, and know where I might be living next month. It is, obviously, their choice to schedule things later in the application process. But by doing so, I'm sure they understand and expect the added stress a "day or two" will have on all of us who just want to know where we stand.

Those who want to be chill and relaxed, do it up. Those who feel stressed, let it out.

I'll be sending good vibes to G-ville people tomorrow afternoon. Hope you guys get your good news letters :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I come back to see if anyone has any updates and look what happens - a dramafest breaks out!

:laugh: .. as a non-UF applicant and complete bystander...lol!!

I feel for you guys. Waiting is tortue!

Applicants had to get their apps submitted by the deadlines. If you miss an app deadline, you're likely SOL. Applicants met their deadlines, I would expcet the admins to meet theirs. Anything less would be unprofessional in my eyes.

Also, as a bystander, I do think it's quite odd they notify this late in the game.

Suggestion: Write to the admins/dean/people in charge. Tell them how difficult late such notification is. The people who get accepted could make a petition, signed by the entire first year class. Let them know the current system stinks and many of you would prefer change.

At WSU, they had gotten several complaints about how they notified applicants. After a handful of complaints from angry people they changed their notification process. Yes, it was a different situation. But my point is that they listened and changed accordingly. If they don't know how many people are going nuts they won't do anything about it.

I called the office this morning and now they won't tell us over the phone unless we still don't have the letters by Monday.

I am going to have to say that I really hope that those that are being over-dramatic about this get over it before we start classes in August. I have worked at the Vet School for 2 years and there is nothing the faculty and staff hate more than whiny vet students. Let's try to be adults here.

I called the office this morning and now they won't tell us over the phone unless we still don't have the letters by Monday.

I agree that it could use some changes. However, I only applied to UF and am waiting to hear news. If I were you I would feel lucky that I had multiple offers. I think it sucks that you are in this position, but I think that there are plenty of people who didn't get in anywhere else that you LOVE to take your spot at UF.

if the letters were sent yesterday, do you think we should get them today? also, anyone know if they are sending them to our house or school address?

if the letters were sent yesterday, do you think we should get them today? also, anyone know if they are sending them to our house or school address?

My mail already came today and there was no letter...i live about 2 hours from Gainesville. The mailman said if they were sent yesterday I would probably get it 2morrow.

Hi Everybody!

My letter arrived today -I'm accepted!!!!:D
Good luck to Everyone ! I hope you are all in my class!!!!!!!

Just as good old philo expected... Hope you guys hear soon.

If my post is being considered as whining please do not consider it as so. I am simply updating people on the situation so that they don't all feel the need to call today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everybody!

YAY Aggie! Congrats!

I still have almost an HOUR before I get my mail. :eek:

If my post is being considered as whining please do not consider it as so. I am simply updating people on the situation so that they don't all feel the need to call today.

No problem, just something to consider if we all get in. That being said, my mail came today and my letter was in it.

I am on the alternate list, so if any of you get accepted and have somewhere better to go, please let them know ASAP. Looks like more waiting for me.

If you get a letter,can you please post where you are from?

I agree, posting what city/area of Florida you're in would be helpful. Also, for those accepted, was there any change when you log in to UF's website? Did they give you a default school email address? I know, I'm crazy :)

Thanks RockStarKDub and GatorMD60!!!

I live in Micanopy, which is about 25 miles south of Gainesville. I went to the post office this morning to get it. It's a very small post office and the people know me by now because I keep going in there every morning to ask for it.:laugh:

It came as a regular white envelope (scared me at first) and it is certified so you do have to sign for it - twice.

Hope that helps!

I also don't see anything different on the website.

Hi Everybody!

Now get thee to the acceptances thread and let the UF acceptances posting begin!!:p

o...m...g....
I just remembered something! My parents received my interview letter.... What if... UF sent me letter to Miami?!?!?! :scared:

Update: I called Tonie Henry and it turns out that even though they sent my interview info packet to gainesville, my yes/no/maybe letter has been sent to Miami. = (

o...m...g....
I just remembered something! My parents received my interview letter.... What if... UF sent me letter to Miami?!?!?! :scared:

Not to stress you out even more, but...Dean Vickroy told us the letters would be sent to the address that the interview notifications were sent, unless otherwise stated.

Rejected. Noncertified. Jacksonville.

I don't know if I can do this again. I will never be 22 again and have a 3.9.

:(:( I'm sorry, philo! It seems to me that after what UF has put you through this application cycle, should you want to apply again, you should give UF a big :thumbdown: (or other finger gesture that I'm too polite to mention...and for which there is no emoticon, sadly) and move on to another state. You had mentioned something about maybe moving to UGA previously. Is that something you'd consider?

I'm also gonna say you should give UF the big :thumbdown: (or similar) regardless of applying again. Those big stinkers!:mad:

Oh Philo! I can't tell you how sorry I am! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

NOOOO! Philo - I am so disapointed for you, I was really wanting you to get in! I know the awful sinking feeling you have right now believe me. I could tell you a terrible story of why I did not get in last year. I really was ready to give up.
Do something for yourself today, cry if you want to, take the day off...a long weekend. And if you need someone to talk to about it PM me, really...you wouldnt believe what I've been through to get here. If it's what you really want it's still gonna be there...

Let's take the people who don't even want to touch the horse when they take the tour. Or how about let's accept the guy playing air guitar in the barn during the tour, looking like his parents forced him to apply to school in the first place while mommy and daddy cart him around trying to keep him interested because he's staring off into space like he's 8 watching butterflies. Or the people who don't want to step on the mats before they go into the large animal facility on the tour b/c of their high heels and not have a freakin' clue why they have to step on them in the first place.

Bitter? Yeah I'm bitter. The only reason I was told I was not accepted last year was b/c I had a bad itnerview. This year I felt like I had a great interview. And the rules change. I can go do my post interview analysis and work on every single thing they tell me to, and then not get in again. I know it's no gurantee. But I have worked my a** off working 3 jobs for 2 years and have nothing to show for it but a $400 suit that I now want to burn.

I'm going to go make a trip to Athens and sit down and see what my chances are with my stats. If they tell me I'm competeitve, I'm moving.

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this board and please do not take this personally. But I'm 34 years old. I know that just being older should not and will not ever give me an advantge. But already being an established professional and the experiences I have gained along the way....I know I would make an excellent vet. And I don't know what I can do to make others see that.

Taking more classes? Not an option. I work FULL time and 2-part times to make sure I've got the recco letters. I've got a Master's in Biology, so I have a load of upper division courses. Nothing I do can change my GPA. My GRE may go up 50 points, but it won't matter.

I just feel helpless. I've applied two years in a row and have offically been rejected from them 3 times.

And you have every right to be bitter. I certainly would be. Here's a vote for moving!

Sometimes I wish admissions read these boards as thoroughly as we do and knew who was who because you've shown yourself to be a caring, hardworking and an all around quality human being. I hope you won't give up.

No mail for me again today and I live 2 blocks from campus.

philo - I'm so sorry! I agree with VAgirl - tell them to shove it, and move on. They're not worth your effort, anyhow, if they can't see what they're missing.

I am so sorry Philo! I was really rooting for you!!! Stay positive, you really are a wonderful person!

Philo, that's terrible! :( If someone as awesome as you can't get in, how can the rest of us stand a chance?

My friend also received a rejection letter from them today.

Philo, that's terrible! :( If someone as awesome as you can't get in, how can the rest of us stand a chance?

My friend also received a rejection letter from them today.
Moot question, but was it certified or not?

I'm sorry, philo. We actually have a few Florida residents in our class that were not accepted to UF. They WERE accepted, not only to UTK, but to other schools as well. They are excellent students and there is no real reason they didn't get into UF--at least not a logical one.

It definitely sucks, and I am really sorry.:(

I think it's been established that rejection letters were not certified, from what I've read here on sdn and heard from some friends.

Hi Everybody!

Congrats to all who got accepted (Aggiedonk and others)! Finally the wait is over for me too, I'm accepted. Hope to meet up with all of you at open house.

Let's take the people who don't even want to touch the horse when they take the tour. Or how about let's accept the guy playing air guitar in the barn during the tour, looking like his parents forced him to apply to school in the first place while mommy and daddy cart him around trying to keep him interested because he's staring off into space like he's 8 watching butterflies. Or the people who don't want to step on the mats before they go into the large animal facility on the tour b/c of their high heels and not have a freakin' clue why they have to step on them in the first place.

Bitter? Yeah I'm bitter. The only reason I was told I was not accepted last year was b/c I had a bad itnerview. This year I felt like I had a great interview. And the rules change. I can go do my post interview analysis and work on every single thing they tell me to, and then not get in again. I know it's no gurantee. But I have worked my a** off working 3 jobs for 2 years and have nothing to show for it but a $400 suit that I now want to burn.

I'm going to go make a trip to Athens and sit down and see what my chances are with my stats. If they tell me I'm competeitve, I'm moving.

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this board and please do not take this personally. But I'm 34 years old. I know that just being older should not and will not ever give me an advantge. But already being an established professional and the experiences I have gained along the way....I know I would make an excellent vet. And I don't know what I can do to make others see that.

Taking more classes? Not an option. I work FULL time and 2-part times to make sure I've got the recco letters. I've got a Master's in Biology, so I have a load of upper division courses. Nothing I do can change my GPA. My GRE may go up 50 points, but it won't matter.

I just feel helpless. I've applied two years in a row and have offically been rejected from them 3 times.

Philo-
This whole process is so freakin' random and nonsensical.

I've been applying on and off for about ten years. I'm an alternate at Tuskegee hoping to get the call. I will be 43 this month. I have crap-loads of experience, professional degrees, and "competitive" grades and scores (whatever that means, cause it changes from year to year). I have made it to interviews every year that I applied. Upon rejection, I sought out advice and fixed what could be fixed. It's the same old song and dance--"You're a competitive candidate, but there's so many competitive candidates this year" or "Your application looks great, just up your GRE/GPA", or some other nebulous general comment from a tired administrator.

It is my humble opinion that vet schools are not sure what to do with us older non-trads who meet admissions standards. They're sorta old school in that they are used to younger applicants and wonder if we're gonna die before we begin practice. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth.

I won't patronize you by saying "I know how you feel"; but I will say that this too, shall pass.

Take it easy, buddy. I know you'll find a way.

Philo, I'm so sorry :( I think that checking into other schools, perhaps even more than just UGA, might be in order. Who knows what things different schools place a priority on in their selection processes - even if UF won't see the light, I bet other schools would.

Oh, and a :thumbdown: or other hand gesture might be good too as VA Girl said!

Aggiedonk and MSP - congratulations!!

Oh no, Philo!!! I am so so so sorry!! :( I hate that you didn't get in! I don't blame you for being bitter...I think everyone on here has had a little bitterness at times. What was UF thinking?? +pissed+

Obviously this is what you really want to do...I really hope you don't give up on it!! If you decide to consider moving and have any questions about UGA or Athens, PM me and I can give you info.

So sorry, philo. Everyone here is thinking of you today. :(

Got my acceptance today!!!...Certified Mail, white envelope...DVM/MPH

Philo,
That is so horrible! Especially after all of that aggravation.
Where ever you decide to apply, you know we'll be right behind you.

:clap::biglove::clap:

Got my acceptance today!!!...Certified Mail, white envelope...DVM/MPH

Was the DVM/MPH acceptance together in the same letter? It was my understanding the MPH program would review the applications after acceptance into the DVM program and send out invites 4/15 or so; I could be wrong, though.