The Florida Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess I don't have to skip class Wednesday to go to the post office! Sounds like my letter won't be here before Thursday if Gville didn't even get theirs yet.

I think my iPod was mocking me at the gym today. I was thinking about my Florida letter as I got on the treadmill and the very first song that came on my workout playlist was Hung Up by Madonna. First lyric? "Time goes by.. so slowly"

:laugh: Coincidence? I think not!

I was driving home today and saw the mailman leaving my neighborhood - my heart immediately started beating faster! Alas, nothing here either...

Members don't see this ad.

The "no calls until Thursday rule" which I mentioned was related at the interview. Therefore, if you do not have your letter in your hand by 4/3 you are allowed to call the school and find out about your admission status from the dean.:oops:

Good luck to all of you!!! I have to say, you are all amazing to have waited this long in the process and it is finally almost over!!! Hopefully tomorrow (or the next day :rolleyes: ) will be another big win for the SDNers!!! :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the consensus from everyone here that applicants in Gainesville and nearby cities SHOULD get their letters tomorrow?

So is the consensus from everyone here that applicants in Gainesville and nearby cities SHOULD get their letters tomorrow?

I actually stayed home from work today, expecting to get my letter. I called my boss (who knows Dr. Vickroy) and he told her that he was finishing up with signing the letters TODAY and to expect them on Thursday.

I actually stayed home from work today, expecting to get my letter. I called my boss (who knows Dr. Vickroy) and he told her that he was finishing up with signing the letters TODAY and to expect them on Thursday.

Thanks for the info. UFvet81. Hopefully, I can put my mind at ease until then.

SO that explains why when I stood AT THE POST OFFICE this morning waiting for my mail there wasn't a letter....:boom:
Thanks for the info,
it has prevented a personal explosion.

Just a few more days. At least now I have no idea when it will come so I am not making any plans. I am just going to expect it Saturday, and when it comes earlier I will be happy.

So much for "They will be in the mail at the absolute latest on April 1st". :mad:

As soon as my mail comes I'll post. Do they realize that many people are scheduling their days around being home to sign for letters?

So much for "They will be in the mail at the absolute latest on April 1st". :mad:

As soon as my mail comes I'll post. Do they realize that many people are scheduling their days around being home to sign for letters?

Thats me! I skipped my classes yesterday to be home all day and I have the day off today to be home. Unfortunately I cant skip again tomorrow so I just hope they dont come while Im out tomorrow.

I assume the office will be getting many calls tomorrow from OOS students, since they told everyone to call if they had not gotten their letters by April 3. An e-mail stating a delay in mailing the letters may have been helpful to some since we have to sign for the letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from a source at the vet school that the letters were mailed TODAY

I just logged onto the UF CVM website and under the critical date section it does say "date acceptances are mailed" as April 1st. I guess we shouldn't be too upset with them. I am sure glad it wasn't me that had to make all of those choices and get all those packets together.

This is ridiculous! If you aren't going to keep your deadlines, etiquette dictates that you let the people waiting on you know. sheesh. :mad:

I, for one, will be calling if I don't receive my letter tomorrow.

You can call tomorrow if you gals/guys want. But I have another wager. My guess on the response will be...."There was a delay in mailing letters, so they are on their way. Call Monday if you don't have it."

I bet you're right, philomycus. Man, this wait is getting insane. Anyone else feel like they're reaching their breaking point? Ahhhhh!!

Do you guys still owe them (and any other schools) a response by April 15th? If so, how rude!

Do you guys still owe them (and any other schools) a response by April 15th? If so, how rude!

Yes, and if Florida does not work out I may have to try and schedule a visit to one school between now and April 15th!

I know everyone is on the edge of their seats (as am I) but I don't think getting mad at the school (or Dr. Vickroy) is really necessary. For those of you who are waiting to hear because you need to make a decision as far as where to go, I think your call tomorrow is warranted, but for those of us who can wait to hear, just let the letter come to you. I don't think a flood of calls to Tonie Henry is really going to make her MORE pleasant. We know the letters are coming, now lets just sit back and wait for them to get here. I am as excited/nervous as all of you.

I bet you're right, philomycus. Man, this wait is getting insane. Anyone else feel like they're reaching their breaking point? Ahhhhh!!

Yes, I feel like I've been going through this for SO LONG now-one hoop after another we have to jump through - Just let me know! I've missed work too, and everyday it's been for nothing and everyday I walk into work late and everyone is looking at me expectantly and I have to say, again....I dunno. If you set a deadline - keep it. We had to. I don't have that much patience for them at this point. :( I'm sorry. I try to be patient, really....but this is really getting to me.

I know everyone is on the edge of their seats (as am I) but I don't think getting mad at the school (or Dr. Vickroy) is really necessary. For those of you who are waiting to hear because you need to make a decision as far as where to go, I think your call tomorrow is warranted, but for those of us who can wait to hear, just let the letter come to you. I don't think a flood of calls to Tonie Henry is really going to make her MORE pleasant. We know the letters are coming, now lets just sit back and wait for them to get here. I am as excited/nervous as all of you.

I do. They are (or at least seem to me) ridiculously slow and inefficient at just about anything I've had to do dealing with them. Communication is terrible on all levels. What other schools still haven't mailed any final notifications? It's just ridiculous. I know I have little to no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, but judging by the fact that damn near every other school has their **** in line, it can't be that difficult; they do it every year. I think it sucks, just my opinion.

I do. They are (or at least seem to me) ridiculously slow and inefficient at just about anything I've had to do dealing with them. Communication is terrible on all levels. What other schools still haven't mailed any final notifications? It's just ridiculous. I know I have little to no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, but judging by the fact that damn near every other school has their **** in line, it can't be that difficult; they do it every year. I think it sucks, just my opinion.

Other schools choose to start earlier and thats there prerogative. I think it has very little to do with having there **** in line. They choose to not start reviewing applications until Spring semester and not interview until March. Some schools like OSU choose to begin early. UF isnt the only one that takes this much time. UT, UGA, and some others all just sent acceptances within the last week or two. This year they mailed things out 1 day late. Im going nuts waiting for it but in the big picture its 1 day off the schedule they gave us.

I can't believe they're still stringing you guys along. Incredible.... :(

Other schools choose to start earlier and thats there prerogative. I think it has very little to do with having there **** in line. They choose to not start reviewing applications until Spring semester and not interview until March. Some schools like OSU choose to begin early. UF isnt the only one that takes this much time. UT, UGA, and some others all just sent acceptances within the last week or two. This year they mailed things out 1 day late. Im going nuts waiting for it but in the big picture its 1 day off the schedule they gave us.
Well, if you say so.

Well, if you say so.

Bakaduin says so and I agree with him and UFVet81. GROW UP, folks!! They are 1 day behind schedule (not really, Dr. Vickroy said "Wed. or Thursday should receive - speaking to ALL in-state students) and it is hardly the end of the world. If you are going to be so upset over something so minor (and it is minor) then you need to seriously re-evaluate your level of patience in general. Demanding, snide and over-zealous remarks bode ill for your future as a professional in any field, vet or otherwise. If anything, stomping your foot and throwing a tantrum over a day or two delay demonstrates a level of maturity that may be inappropriate for professional school. Stop being so self-absorbed in your own zeal to know the results of a process that has taken over 6 months to complete that you allow a day wait (or two, or three or even four!) to make you put your "butt on your shoulders".

The letters will arrive when they arrive.

If you have lost faith in the school, and the administrators of the school, do THEM and YOURSELF a huge favor and go to school somewhere else. There are plenty of patient, deserving students who would love the chance to attend UF.

Bakaduin says so and I agree with him and UFVet81. GROW UP, folks!! They are 1 day behind schedule (not really, Dr. Vickroy said "Wed. or Thursday should receive - speaking to ALL in-state students) and it is hardly the end of the world. If you are going to be so upset over something so minor (and it is minor) then you need to seriously re-evaluate your level of patience in general. Demanding, snide and over-zealous remarks bode ill for your future as a professional in any field, vet or otherwise. If anything, stomping your foot and throwing a tantrum over a day or two delay demonstrates a level of maturity that may be inappropriate for professional school. Stop being so self-absorbed in your own zeal to know the results of a process that has taken over 6 months to complete that you allow a day wait (or two, or three or even four!) to make you put your "butt on your shoulders".

If you have lost faith in the school, and the administrators of the school, do THEM and YOURSELF a huge favor and go to school somewhere else. There are plenty of patient, deserving students who would love the chance to attend UF.

I think this is over the line. People are frustrated and want to let off some steam. It's reasonable, understandable, and not inappropriate.

I'm pretty sure everyone is just on edge because we are finally at the end of an extremely long, extremely emotionally and physically (not to mention financially..) draining application cycle and "one more day" just seems like too much to take.

I think this is over the line. People are frustrated and want to let off some steam. It's reasonable, understandable, and not inappropriate.

I agree....for some people this is a life changing decision.....for me, I really need to know where I stand b/c it will decide whether I stay in FL and hurry up and move to Gainesville for summer classes, or move out of state with my SO in 2 weeks! So the stress of waiting for the final decision is killing me and days of delays makes a big difference is trying to plan the weeks ahead. :oops:

I guess I'll just respond below in bold.
Bakaduin says so and I agree with him and UFVet81. GROW UP, folks!! They are 1 day behind schedule (not really, Dr. Vickroy said "Wed. or Thursday should receive - speaking to ALL in-state students) and it is hardly the end of the world. Who said it was? If you are going to be so upset over something so minor (and it is minor [thanks for the parenthetical clarification]) then you need to seriously re-evaluate your level of patience in general Great advice. Demanding, snide and over-zealous remarks bode ill for your future as a professional in any field, vet or otherwise. If anything, stomping your foot and throwing a tantrum Where's the tantrum? I know it's impossible to ready tone of voice on a message board, but I'm personally quite relaxed about everything. over a day or two delay demonstrates a level of maturity that may be inappropriate for professional school. Stop being so self-absorbed in your own zeal to know the results of a process that has taken over 6 months to complete that you allow a day wait (or two, or three or even four!) to make you put your "butt on your shoulders".

The letters will arrive when they arrive. Profound stuff right there.

If you have lost faith in the school Of course not, and the administrators of the school, do THEM and YOURSELF a huge favor and go to school somewhere else I would, but the price is right, unfortunately. There are plenty of patient, deserving students who would love the chance to attend UF. I'm quite patient. We're just commenting on their lack of follow through. My quibbles aren't with this most recent delay, but with my dealings with them on the whole. I've no doubt that the school and their curriculum are fantastic; I've worked very closely with a few recent UF grads, and they are undoubtedly phenomenal. If I had to base my school choice solely on interactions with admissions committees, I'd've blown off UF at xmas.

Everyone has an opinion. I respect yours; likewise, I ask mine to be respected. Neither of us need agree with the other.

And it is not understandable, appropriate or reasonable ... in my opinion. I think over-reacting to a day delay is foolish and bodes ill of one's future behavior. Many things in life will come slowly and with great delay.

If you ever wish to "find out" what someone is like, ask how they treat the following three scenarios: 1. a rainy day and your plans for spending the day outdoors are ruined; 2. Christmas lights all jumbled up in the garage; 3. stuck in traffic. Oh .. and add number 4. Waiting for a letter stating if you have been invited to vet school and giving you at least 10 days to make up your mind.

I also have little tolerance for those in a grocery checkout line screaming "speed it up" to a cashier or in traffic blaring their horn as if it will make a difference. If you do not like the wait, shop elsewhere .. just leave. If you insist on letting off steam and blaring your horn in traffic (as if your self-absorbed world and tardiness is all that is happening), then do not be surprised if someone asks you to stop the blaring horn. Or to perhaps drive in another area where there is less traffic?

Yes, the unknown zone stinks. Yes, it is difficult. But attacking the school, the staff or Dr. Vickroy does not solve the problem. Finding something else to do productively with your time is a good idea ....

No, I did not take time off from work or class to wait for a letter. Sure, I could have, but that is MY choice if I do, not UF's fault if the letter did not arrive on the day I calculated it should.

Besides, I am a patient old codger and a few days compared to 4 years is not even worth a mention. :)

I agree....for some people this is a life changing decision.....for me, I really need to know where I stand b/c it will decide whether I stay in FL and hurry up and move to Gainesville for summer classes, or move out of state with my SO in 2 weeks! So the stress of waiting for the final decision is killing me and days of delays makes a big difference is trying to plan the weeks ahead. :oops:

For ALL of us this is life changing!!

Does 1 day, in the grand scheme of all you have stated make or break your plans? Really make a difference? I mean a big difference enough to stress and sweat over it? Naww ... hang tough another 12-14 hours and your answer is there.

Good advice: "Never worry about things you cannot change, only the things you can." None of us can change the letter arrival schedule, so where's the beer?!

I guess I'll just respond below in bold.

Thank you for your comments. I have filed them appropriately :D

And aren't you glad I gave you something to think/write/argue about other than silly letter arrival dates?

Oh .. and Zen is quite profound! (The letter will arrive when it arrives.) You will learn that the key to life and even medicine is in knowing what NOT to do, not just what to do, Grasshopper.

Everyone has an opinion. I respect yours; likewise, I ask mine to be respected. Neither of us need agree with the other.

And it is not understandable, appropriate or reasonable ... in my opinion. I think over-reacting to a day delay is foolish and bodes ill of one's future behavior. Many things in life will come slowly and with great delay.

If you ever wish to "find out" what someone is like, ask how they treat the following three scenarios: 1. a rainy day and your plans for spending the day outdoors are ruined; 2. Christmas lights all jumbled up in the garage; 3. stuck in traffic. Oh .. and add number 4. Waiting for a letter stating if you have been invited to vet school and giving you at least 10 days to make up your mind.

I also have little tolerance for those in a grocery checkout line screaming "speed it up" to a cashier or in traffic blaring their horn as if it will make a difference. If you do not like the wait, shop elsewhere .. just leave. If you insist on letting off steam and blaring your horn in traffic (as if your self-absorbed world and tardiness is all that is happening), then do not be surprised if someone asks you to stop the blaring horn. Or to perhaps drive in another area where there is less traffic?

Yes, the unknown zone stinks. Yes, it is difficult. But attacking the school, the staff or Dr. Vickroy does not solve the problem. Finding something else to do productively with your time is a good idea ....

No, I did not take time off from work or class to wait for a letter. Sure, I could have, but that is MY choice if I do, not UF's fault if the letter did not arrive on the day I calculated it should.

Besides, I am a patient old codger and a few days compared to 4 years is not even worth a mention. :)

I understand your point, but my understanding of the situation isn't that its one more day, but that its not what the admin stated. In this case, its more about the reliability of the information coming from the administration. To go back to one of your analogies, it would be like expecting to find your christmas lights put away nicely (because you did the year before) and finding out that someone has tangled them - you have a certain set of expectations that are not met.

I think cutting others some slack is just as important as having patience. You should give it a shot.

I understand your point, but my understanding of the situation isn't that its one more day, but that its not what the admin stated. In this case, its more about the reliability of the information coming from the administration. ... - you have a certain set of expectations that are not met.

Your expectation is not their promise. At my debriefing I was told "expect them no sooner than Wednesday or Thursday after the 1st."; and this was with all Florida residents (assuming we get mail in 1 -2 days from G-Ville).

Besides, it got delayed a day at best. Or if even 2 or 3 .. big whoop! We do remember accuracy vs. precision, yes? What do you expect with human beings, precision all the time? Naww .... for all we know there was a human error or they had to double-check lists or even had an equipment failure that delayed them.

I am saying it is premature (and immature) to jump to conclusions before sufficient data has been accumulated. Assuming the administration is no longer reliable about information sure is a harsh result!

I think cutting others some slack is just as important as having patience. You should give it a shot.

I just did. I am not responding to your remark with any vigor. :D

Oh yeah.. in this new World of Veterinary Medicine, how much slack do you want? The least amount possible? Most? How much slack are you going to ask your patients to give you?

Thank you for your comments. I have filed them appropriately :D

And aren't you glad I gave you something to think/write/argue about other than silly letter arrival dates?

Oh .. and Zen is quite profound! (The letter will arrive when it arrives.) You will learn that the key to life and even medicine is in knowing what NOT to do, not just what to do, Grasshopper.
Nah, that's why I have tv.
I really don't think about this stuff as much as everyone else on here seems to. I simply think UF's admissions process could use a fine-tuning (read: overhaul).

Nah, that's why I have tv.
I really don't think about this stuff as much as everyone else on here seems to. I simply think UF's admissions process could use a fine-tuning (read: overhaul).

Please respond to this post so I may also respond in turn.

I am trying to get to page 6, whereby my job for the evening is done and I may go to bed. I have to be at work by 10 and those 12 hour shifts suck.

MMMMMEOWWWWWWWWWWWW FFTFTFTTTTTTTTT!

Chill people, chill.

Please respond to this post so I may also respond in turn.

I am trying to get to page 6, whereby my job for the evening is done and I may go to bed. I have to be at work by 10 and those 12 hour shifts suck.
I'm probably looking at a 14 hour shift starting at 7:00am. Night.

I come back to see if anyone has any updates and look what happens - a dramafest breaks out!

All joking aside, why doesn't everyone just relax for a second?! Yes, it really sucks that we have to wait yet another day (or possibly a couple more) for our responses, but on the other hand, it's not the end of the world.

While this forum is addictive, it doesn't hurt to take a break once in a while! ;) None of us need the extra stress. Maybe we'll have some news tomorrow! :luck:

Your expectation is not their promise. At my debriefing I was told "expect them no sooner than Wednesday or Thursday after the 1st."; and this was with all Florida residents (assuming we get mail in 1 -2 days from G-Ville).

Besides, it got delayed a day at best. Or if even 2 or 3 .. big whoop! We do remember accuracy vs. precision, yes? What do you expect with human beings, precision all the time? Naww .... for all we know there was a human error or they had to double-check lists or even had an equipment failure that delayed them.

I am saying it is premature (and immature) to jump to conclusions before sufficient data has been accumulated. Assuming the administration is no longer reliable about information sure is a harsh result!

My expectation is their promise since we were told (a mix of IS and OOS) "expect them no later than Thursday the 3rd."

MMMMMEOWWWWWWWWWWWW FFTFTFTTTTTTTTT!

Chill people, chill.

Heh. Who's upset? Not moi!

I love writing because it is the mood of the reader more than the intent of the drafter that provides meaning to the reader.

:laugh: