The Florida TRAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProZak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm getting ready to start applying (after I slaughter myself for 2 more weeks of MCAT prep). I'm trying to come up with a list of schools and was wondering in particular about anyone who has gotten out of the "Florida Trap" (or knows of anyone doing so)?

I go to the UF and got a 3.97 GPA over the past few years. For many reasons, I don't think I want to stay in Florida but have heard that a lot of the schools north of Florida (i.e. all of them) look at Florida as somewhat of a degree factory and don't take us too seriously. My MCAT practice tests are hovering around 38 and I would love to go to one of the great schools outside of Florida, but feel somewhat disadvantaged because of my undergrad school. Dream schools would be something like: Vandy, Duke, Emory, Mayo etc.

Anyone have any perspective on this issue? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm getting ready to start applying (after I slaughter myself for 2 more weeks of MCAT prep). I'm trying to come up with a list of schools and was wondering in particular about anyone who has gotten out of the "Florida Trap" (or knows of anyone doing so)?

I go to the UF and got a 3.97 GPA over the past few years. For many reasons, I don't think I want to stay in Florida but have heard that a lot of the schools north of Florida (i.e. all of them) look at Florida as somewhat of a degree factory and don't take us too seriously. My MCAT practice tests are hovering around 38 and I would love to go to one of the great schools outside of Florida, but feel somewhat disadvantaged because of my undergrad school. Dream schools would be something like: Vandy, Duke, Emory, Mayo etc.

Anyone have any perspective on this issue? Thanks!

Why would you feel disadvantaged by UF? It's a top 50 school. And it has enough course choices where you can take the challenging ones if you really seek them out. People know which courses are challenging and which aren't.

You are right, though, in a sense. In order to get out of Florida, ideally you need to have some ties of SOME sort outside the state (either by going on volunteering trips, or doing research, or competitions or whatever in other places). Ideally, you can prove you're competitive OOS somehow. AND at UF, you have the added challenge of finding professors who will get to know you well AND write you A+ letters of rec.

Good luck.

[for perspective: Went OOS as undergrad in CA --> small school, top 5 liberal arts; back instate for grad at UF; applying right now].

Your stats seem impressive. I just graduated from Florida. When I applied my science GPA was a 4.0, but I only scored a 30 on my MCAT (far lower than your prospective 38 ;P). I interviewed at some top schools: DUKE, Michigan, Pitt, Alabama, UVa, UColorado, and some others. It's somewhat intimidating, especially at my Michigan interview considering that with the exception one other guy from Iowa, I was the only applicant from a non-Ivy Leage school :p You go to the best school in Florida and although there is a serious case of grade inflation, your 3.97 is at least a few standard deviations above the average of most Pre-Med students at UF. Good luck :)