The Free Associate Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mosche said:
Just thought that I would bump Anasazi's thread, since we (I) tend to get a bit off topic. Poety, I applied to eleven programs and got eleven invites. I accepted all invites except MGH -- just too intense for my world! I have cancelled UNC; so that leaves me with 9! If I end up having to scramble, I'm giving up my dream of becoming a doctor, moving to Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin and becoming a teacher! During off time, I will work for National Geographic magazine and will take pictures of the local moose and snow covered lakes. :love:

I've decided that if I don't match I'm going to quit too - and I'm going to become a real estate mogul - raise my daughter, and only work to pay my student loans (which should take no time at all buying and selling property, at least a lot less time than working as a doc HAHAHAHA)

I'm also going to go to Africa and spend some time there with tribes - go to Hawaii to teach my daughter about her heritage, and study the Aboriginies with my husband.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm walking home from some early Christmas shopping today when a lady on the street asks me for spare change.

I turn around because I recognize that.....voice.

It's one of our infamous patients, who when recognizes me, proceeds to hug me on the street and say how embarrassed she is that I "caught" her panhandling.

I guess the story would mean more if you knew her. She defies the DSM entirely and would have made Freud himself quit medicine altogether. But in a funny, throw-your-hands-up-in-exasperation kind of way.

Poety said:
I've decided that if I don't match I'm going to quit too - and I'm going to become a real estate mogul - raise my daughter, and only work to pay my student loans (which should take no time at all buying and selling property, at least a lot less time than working as a doc HAHAHAHA)

I'm also going to go to Africa and spend some time there with tribes - go to Hawaii to teach my daughter about her heritage, and study the Aboriginies with my husband.

If I don't match, I'm heading to Spain. You gotta love a country that values good wine and the siesta.

So tomorrow I'm heading to my first away interviews. Apparently tomorrow is the busiest travel day of the year. Isn't that just dandy.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is special about tomorrow?

Solideliquid said:
What is special about tomorrow?

Everyone is going home from visiting over the holiday solid!

Hurricane: we can meet up in Spain hon, you can bring that cute cat of yours to play with mine - I think he'd like her in that special kinda way ;)

Poety said:
Everyone is going home from visiting over the holiday solid!

Hurricane: we can meet up in Spain hon, you can bring that cute cat of yours to play with mine - I think he'd like her in that special kinda way ;)

Two cats, Spain, wine -- this has all the makings of a Disney magahit! Does someone have a dog to donate to the cause (there has to be a villain).

Poety said:
You're not touching Sam, Pickle or Kasey so don't even try it Mosche!

I'm off today for USF - wish me lots o luck :D I'm leaving at 5 though so I have time.

You'll be in my neck fo the woods at U Pitt Mosche - wanna go get dinner or are you strapped for time? maybe I'll be strapped - PM me!

Here kitty, kitty! Here kitty, kitty!

BTW, I did send you a PM wishing you luck! I'm jealous that you are traveling, and I'm stuck at home playing on the computer.

I started a Gross Lab rotation last week and put in 92 hours! I was so happy to be back in lab, it was kinda scary!. The lab coordinator was joking that I had really completed the rotation in a week! Talk about a geek!

My cat's been cut, so I don't know how much fun he'll be... ;) Here's my other kitty - the one that had the stroke (and made a full recovery). Isn't she cute?

Traveling wasn't so bad. However, I took my husband's super heavy suit bag, because "that's how you're supposed to carry a suit" and the damn thing was so heavy that I had to take the expensive airport shuttle instead of lugging it through public transit, which would have required multiple transfers. Next time I'm bringing my rolling girl bag, and the suit can just get wrinkled, I don't care.

Ever seen North By Northwest? Eva Marie Saint calls down to the hotel front desk to ask how long it would take to get a suit "sponged and pressed" and they say 20 minutes, and a couple minutes later a chipper bellboy comes right up to get it? Ahh, those were the days. I long for the Golden Age of Travel. (Although I admit I am loving the free wireless internet connection here...)

free wireless? shes not flying delta ;)

That cat is cute! I am so not looking forward to the driving I'll be undertaking this week - it is NOT going to be fun at all.

I've been thinking about things and I'd like to see express transit come into play - something like we hop in the car, program our destination and have it travel down the road at lightening speed - bumper to bumper like the jetsons. That would be lovely. Like our own personal shuttle at mock speeds - hmmm now THAT would be traveling in style :)

Why did I spell traveling with 2 L's in previous posts? I think that SDN can be poor for keeping up on spelling and grammar skills by implanting improper associations subconsciously. Just a thought, unless traveling IS spelled with two L's in which case I'm completely confused then :oops:

For the next 24 hours, i have decided to answer all threads only with smiles --I figure that way there will be NO way that I can be perceived as rude!

I'm a nice person dang it!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
icon_twisted.gif

Aw bummer, you can't post images...

I know that they are inevitable, but does anyone else gat tired of the "-iatry vs. -ology" threads? or how about the "M.D. vs. D.O." crap? Everyone of the issues seems to devolve into an argument over something that is CRAP (in my not-so-humble opinion). Yes, they MAY be issues that we have to deal with in the future -- I really doubt it -- however, the discussions do little, if anything, to resolve the issues. And just so we're clear, I mean both sides -- please DON'T start thinking that I'm dissing either side, rather I'm pontificating against ALL! :laugh:

BTW, I just thought that I'd send a "shout out" to my friend "Ed" who finally figured out my screen name! Now I know what all of ya'll are thinking: "Who's Ed? Is that his real name?" :confused: :confused: Only "Ed" knows!

free associations! Confused... Concerned...lonely people...contridictory...funny...happy...educated...married?

Does anyone have lucid dreams? I tend to get them now and again usually when I'm taking a short nap. I can actually wake up during a dream and go back to sleep and continue the dream and know it's a dream. It is really cool. This has happened several times. I find myself doing crazy things just to see the response I will get. It feels real but I know I'm dreaming and I can direct my dream in any way I choose. How weird. It doesn't happen often but it's so interesting when it does. Anyone else?

I love it when I realize that I'm dreaming which, like you, doesn't happen very often. Usually when I realize that I'm dreaming, I wake up in a very short time; usually, I'm disappointed that I didn't get to do everything that I wanted to do. When it happened during my childhood years, I would become a super-hero and fight the "monsters" in my dreams. I remember awaking numerous times, laughing at my antics in dreamland!

Wow, I don't remember having them when I was a child, thats great. I too wake up shortly after I realize I'm dreaming, I wonder why that is? I wish they would happen more often. Do you learn more about lucid dreams in med school? It would be an interesting topic to learn about :D .

mosche said:
I love it when I realize that I'm dreaming which, like you, doesn't happen very often. Usually when I realize that I'm dreaming, I wake up in a very short time; usually, I'm disappointed that I didn't get to do everything that I wanted to do. When it happened during my childhood years, I would become a super-hero and fight the "monsters" in my dreams. I remember awaking numerous times, laughing at my antics in dreamland!

Im right on board with Mosche on this one - I love realizing I'm dreaming because then I can control them somehow which is so cool!
:cool:
Ok, onto my random thoughts: I've always wanted to marry a famous musician. I mean always, to this day, when I catch a glimpse of Chris Martin (yeah, thats Gweneth Paltrows hubby) or Thom Yorke (this is my dream guy of all time and if you don't konw who he is TALK TO THE HAND!) I still get this weird nostalgic feeling like I never got to fulfill my "dream" of marrying a famous rockstar, you know someone that would sing to me these overly romantic songs, and write lyrics with me in mind, the whole damn thing.

I know you all have these dumb unfulfilled dreams too - but what do they mean in the grand scheme of things? Maybe they mean we have to let go of something that could never be reality for what is in the here and now. And perhaps what is in the here and now is often painful and we don't want it, so we feel nostalgic? Just a theory here. Its reminds me of when we look back at our childhoods and long for the times that have past - why do we do it?

Poety said:
Im right on board with Mosche on this one - I love realizing I'm dreaming because then I can control them somehow which is so cool!
:cool:
Ok, onto my random thoughts: I've always wanted to marry a famous musician. I mean always, to this day, when I catch a glimpse of ...... Thom Yorke (this is my dream guy of all time and if you don't konw who he is TALK TO THE HAND!)....

Who, this guy with the ptosis?
Never heard of him.
:smuggrin:

NO YOU DIDN'T SAZI, NO YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT ABOUT THOM YORKE!!! And you're lucky I can't access that web page, or you would get it buddy!

Let me dream ok? right now I'm going to marry either someone from Snow Patrol, Coldplay or ofcourse Thom Yorke if he'll have me - he would be lucky right? :laugh:

edit: did you also know that he was actually traumatized as a child by children teasing him about his eye? That is how he became such a deep, passionate thinker - he also studied at Oxford so pfft :smuggrin:

Anasazi23 said:
Here, I'll make it easy for you...
:laugh:

Laugh all you want, but I'm in love with that man do you hear me? Im also an artist Sazi - and yes, I admit I did make a collage of him ok? And maybe my hubby did hide it from me, WHATEVER! And maybe I do get a little histrionic at his concerts - but what can I do about it? love is love .... go ahead laugh

And to my Thom baby... rock on! :horns:

Sazi, can you get me a Chris Martin avatar please? He's better looking but hes not Thom, he didn't go to Oxford and hes not a brainiac like Thom is :) Brainiacs are sexy :love: :love:

Anasazi23 said:
Nooo! You did not just make Ptosis-man your avatar!
:thumbdown:
What happened to that neonate you had? It was much better...so colorful...

BACKFIRED DIDN'T IT? :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: Whos your fav band Sazi? of all time that is -

Anasazi23 said:
What is it with you and guys with asymmetrical eyelids?

OMG, I'm laffin so hard!!! Chris Martin does NOT have asymmetrical eyelids LOLOLOL :laugh: :laugh: :love: :love:

Favorite band of all time?

That's really hard. My parents would put on Beatles, Dylan, and Doors albums when I went to sleep as a baby. Obviously, I still love them. I was a big Deadhead, and have more Dead CD's than I care to count...so many bootlegs and Dick's Picks.

Hmm...
I love Steely Dan for it's complexity and lyrical genius. Always a good listen and underappreciated band.

Then again, there's my old metal days...and the Classic rock favs...Zep, BOC, Floyd, Stones, and Tull! I still have all my old classic rock albums, and am quite proud of my Beatles and Tull vinyl collection.

I've determined it's too hard to call. :D

Anasazi23 said:
Favorite band of all time?

That's really hard. My parents would put on Beatles, Dylan, and Doors albums when I went to sleep as a baby. Obviously, I still love them. I was a big Deadhead, and have more Dead CD's than I care to count...so many bootlegs and Dick's Picks.

Hmm...
I love Steely Dan for it's complexity and lyrical genius. Always a good listen and underappreciated band.

Then again, there's my old metal days...and the Classic rock favs...Zep, BOC, Floyd, Stones, and Tull! I still have all my old classic rock albums, and am quite proud of my Beatles and Tull vinyl collection.

I've determined it's too hard to call. :D

so you're a classic rock kinda guy :) who do you listen to more recent? you cannot say any band thats not currently making music - im psychoanalyzing you by the way so Im allowed to ask this in the psych forum :p

Poety said:
so you're a classic rock kinda guy :) who do you listen to more recent? you cannot say any band thats not currently making music - im psychoanalyzing you by the way so Im allowed to ask this in the psych forum :p
Hmm...Cake, Korn, and other monosyllablic food items, I suppose.

interesting, did you feel your mother didn't feed you enough as a child? JUST KIDDING! Its a reflection of the psychoanalytic thread - but i shouldn't tease ;)

Poety said:
OMG, I'm laffin so hard!!! Chris Martin does NOT have asymmetrical eyelids LOLOLOL :laugh: :laugh: :love: :love:

But he has an asymmetrical smile and face.
Did he have a stroke?

Proud member of the --**Bring back the Neonate!!!**-- Campaign

Anasazi23 said:
But he has an asymmetrical smile and face.
Did he have a stroke?

Proud member of the --**Bring back the Neonate!!!**-- Campaign

No, I think that picture is because hes benig goofy = I'm getting a better pic of him, he's actually gorgeous. But then again, I thought Carson TUcker was gorgeous too - I am a DORK!

Poety said:
No, I think that picture is because hes benig goofy = I'm getting a better pic of him, he's actually gorgeous. But then again, I thought Carson TUcker was gorgeous too - I am a DORK!

Who's Carson Tucker? If you're talking about Tucker Carlson, I hate that guy. I was so happy to watch Jon Stewart kick his ass on his own show.

And speaking of Jon Stewart... swooooon :love:

For those just tuning into this thread.

After heated debate over whether some guy named Thom Yorke (a.k.a. ptosis man) has ptosis, Poety changed her once-loved avatar from what we call here "the colorful neonate" to the dreaded 'ptosis man.'

Through congressional deliberation, public outcry, grassroots lobbying, the "Bring back the Neonate!" campaign was a rousing success!

The neonate has returned, colorful background and all, to once again grace the psychiatry forum.

You know, this thread has gotten the recollection hamster running in his wheel...

Fond memories of undergrad, I was taking the basic ethics class and for whatever reason the professor asked the entire class if anyone here would kick a baby into the ocean if no one else was around. Why would you kick a baby into the ocean you ask? Well, to get some leg exsercises, silly.

I have no idea why he brought this upon us that day, and well I was feeling very naughty. There were several mothers in the class, and they got...shall we say...upset.

I had to exercise both legs, afterall..must maintain balance.

Anasazi23 said:
What is it with you and guys with asymmetrical eyelids?

Anyone catch Coldplay on Leno last night? Chris Martin was running around like Bono with a head full of acid.

Guess I would do the same if Paltrow was my wife -- ditzy, rich women, gotta love 'em! :love:

I leave for a week, and I miss the greatest grassroots movement that has ever been on SDN! Just my luck. Congratulations Sazi on you victory. Poety, look at the bright side -- you now have the cutest avatar on SDN!

Solideliquid said:
You know, this thread has gotten the recollection hamster running in his wheel...

Fond memories of undergrad, I was taking the basic ethics class and for whatever reason the professor asked the entire class if anyone here would kick a baby into the ocean if no one else was around. Why would you kick a baby into the ocean you ask? Well, to get some leg exsercises, silly.

I have no idea why he brought this upon us that day, and well I was feeling very naughty. There were several mothers in the class, and they got...shall we say...upset.

SOLID that avatar ROCKS!!! :laugh:

And thanks Mosche - yer a true Mensch :)

Poety said:
SOLID that avatar ROCKS!!! :laugh:

And thanks Mosche - yer a true Mensch :)

Thanks Poety, I love Invader ZIM...too bad it was canceled.

Solideliquid said:

BTW Solideliquid, I love this post :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !

Hurricane said:
Who's Carson Tucker? If you're talking about Tucker Carlson, I hate that guy. I was so happy to watch Jon Stewart kick his ass on his own show.

And speaking of Jon Stewart... swooooon :love:

I meant Tucker Carlson Hurricane :laugh: And I'm swooning over Chris Martin and Thom Yorke - and don't let these boys fool you here Hurricane, those men are GORGEOUS ok? :p

Poety said:
My daughter is going to have hazel eyes according to the doc - and she is 98% for height and weight - I figured I should let everyone know this, why I dont know, cuz I like to share? :oops:

It's good to hear that the neonate is thriving.

When will she begin her Jedi training?
I sense the force is strong in this one.

you are some weirdo star wars freak but i love ya anyway :D

4 am on my last ever overnight call of residency and the hits just keep on coming. Last saw the call room ~6 hours ago. 2 OD's, 2 cutters, 1 jumper, and an "I want to kill my psychiatrist" later, and I'm realizing... Rockstar energy drink gives me wicked heartburn. I'm too old for this crap.

Don't ya love those nights? Feel free to elaborate - it'll make you feel better.

Last overnight call as a resident is a huge milestone. For the rest of your life, some other underpaid, overworked schmo will be doing that for you.
Congratulations. :thumbup: