The Free Associate Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You may have to do a big budget restructuring. Keep a log of exactly what you're spending money on in a month. You might be surprised at the amount of waste. Eating out, buying lunch, impulse buys, etc. Though, living in NY, I completely feel your pain with the expenses up here.

I get even more depressed when I go to visit my folks in Daytona Beach and see the exact same items in Wally World for 1/3 to 1/2 less than I pay in NYC.

The 'old car,' (2001 Volvo S40) which wasn't actually mine, had thousand of $ put into it over the last few years, and now has failed inspection despite a new $900 catalytic converter and even more repairs last month. In addition, it has myriad of other problems which caused it to fail inspection (Florida, btw, has no state car inspection - it's yet another NYS money-making scam. When inspection first came out in NY, it was every 3 years, and only on cars older than 2-3. When they saw the amount of money they made off it, they increased it to annually on EVERY car, including those still sitting in the showroom. Funny, I never see newspaper articles of people's cars falling apart on the road killing them.)

This my thirdd very bad experience with Volvo. I think the car company sucks. Period. In ours, it seems that the engineers strategically placed useless seat headrests and molding, and angled the windows just so that no matter where you look over your shoulder, there's a blind spot.

It's coming off the road tomorrow, and through budget restructuring and having come into a few thousand of money recently, we got this. We pick it up Monday. I'm still getting the Challenger in two years when I graduate residency and get my first attending paycheck. :D

I don't have a colorful neonate, however. I can only imagine how much that costs.

Members don't see this ad.

Anasazi23 said:
You may have to do a big budget restructuring. Keep a log of exactly what you're spending money on in a month. You might be surprised at the amount of waste. Eating out, buying lunch, impulse buys, etc. Though, living in NY, I completely feel your pain with the expenses up here.

I get even more depressed when I go to visit my folks in Daytona Beach and see the exact same items in Wally World for 1/3 to 1/2 less than I pay in NYC.

The 'old car,' (2001 Volvo S40) which wasn't actually mine, had thousand of $ put into it over the last few years, and now has failed inspection despite a new $900 catalytic converter and even more repairs last month. In addition, it has myriad of other problems which caused it to fail inspection (Florida, btw, has no state car inspection - it's yet another NYS money-making scam. When inspection first came out in NY, it was every 3 years, and only on cars older than 2-3. When they saw the amount of money they made off it, they increased it to annually on EVERY car, including those still sitting in the showroom. Funny, I never see newspaper articles of people's cars falling apart on the road killing them.)

This my thirdd very bad experience with Volvo. I think the car company sucks. Period. In ours, it seems that the engineers strategically placed useless seat headrests and molding, and angled the windows just so that no matter where you look over your shoulder, there's a blind spot.

It's coming off the road tomorrow, and through budget restructuring and having come into a few thousand of money recently, we got this. We pick it up Monday. I'm still getting the Challenger in two years when I graduate residency and get my first attending paycheck. :D

I don't have a colorful neonate, however. I can only imagine how much that costs.

Yer buying a beamer!? I don't wanan HEAR it ;) we just bought a hyundai accent 2001, 74K for 3K - we were LUCKY trust me - Im glad its in good working order. Things are settling down now a bit. I do spend a lot of money but I think its been the traveling as of late. Oh well - I have no credit card debt, just the 250K loans (most of which I used to live off of anyway, so whatever!) and my car 20K left on it. I've got hefty equity in my house since I know I spend money - 100K equity since if I took that cash - I'd spend it ;)

At least you're getting anice new car! Hopefully my husband won't break this one :eek:

Anasazi23 said:
It's coming off the road tomorrow, and through budget restructuring and having come into a few thousand of money recently, we got this.

Ooo, I have that one, but without the x-drive, and several years older. It's very zippy. esp in sport mode. You will like it. :)

The 3 series are awesome. Even if I had a million bucks, that's still what I would want to drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety said:
Ahhhhh, and on gen res, they are saying 100K is peanuts to boot. Its amazing what those that 'have' say without even knowing what its like to be one of those 'without' :oops:

Some of the people on that thread remind me why I avoided premeds like the plague in undergrad (and this was Johns Hopkins, so that was no easy feat) and why I wasn't even considering becoming one myself until the last minute. All this blathering on about status and prestige, and angst about the cut-off between a too-small six-figure salary and an adequate six-figure salary... Makes my ass twitch. :p

And maybe I sound like a hypocrite since my post above describes my love for bavarian engineered cars, but that's soley because I enjoy driving it, not because it's a component of some "lifestyle" I feel entitled to. If I were a lifestyle person, I'd be counting the days until I could afford the 7 series ;)

Hurricane said:
Some of the people on that thread remind me why I avoided premeds like the plague in undergrad (and this was Johns Hopkins, so that was no easy feat) and why I wasn't even considering becoming one myself until the last minute. All this blathering on about status and prestige, and angst about the cut-off between a too-small six-figure salary and an adequate six-figure salary... Makes my ass twitch. :p

And maybe I sound like a hypocrite since my post above describes my love for bavarian engineered cars, but that's soley because I enjoy driving it, not because it's a component of some "lifestyle" I feel entitled to. If I were a lifestyle person, I'd be counting the days until I could afford the 7 series ;)

From your posts we all know you're not a pretentious bish Hurricane :) And you deserve a beamer after all your hard work. There is a big difference between loving a "car" and loving "impressing" everyone else - uggg.

Thank God I'm going into psych. And I mean this - we seem to be some of the more civil of the specialties. I love working with my colleagues and everyone is so collegial. I've yet to run into some gunner psych person that just made me want to hurl!

My husband is loving his little hyundai - he told me today its the newest car he's ever owned in his life AWWWW I felt so bad for him! Whats great about it is... he now goes to the store without even making a fuss :smuggrin: That alone makes it worth the 3k :laugh:

When I'm in residency and my loans are payed down - I'm going to get a nice car. I'm sick of this gas gusseling SUV - its been nice, but the cost is astronomical!

I'm thinking MERCEDES babay! Used ofcourse :D

Hello all,

I interviewed at UCLA-Kern (in Bakersfield, CA), although I have programs I am interested in above Kern. I actually heard from people who worked at Kern Medical Center say that Bakersfield is a crappy hick town and no one can live there for 4 years without going crazy themselves. I don't know if this is true but I checked out the town while I was there. What a dirty neighborhood around the hospital! It sort of creeped me out and the view I saw driving in made me think twice about living there, totally unsafe :eek: .

Also, during the interview day one of the female residents told me how bad it was for them to live in that town. It was during lunch when they told me not to come to the program and that if they had a choice they would not have ranked Kern. I don't know who to believe. What do you think about a program that would have a resident who says things like that.

Please tell me what you think of the place! I was scared when I drove around the town I thought I it was too dangerous :scared: . I don't know if you are a girl or guy but please let me know because I have a chance on matching here and I want to know if it is a livable place and if the program is really that bad. I don't want to make a mistake and match there unless there is no other choice!

Help!

Anasazi23 said:

You gotta get the 80s series or early 90s series Volvos. We've driven 240s and 740s for at least a million miles with minimal maintenance. Believe it or not, there is actually an engine -- not six computers -- running these cars. Sure, they're hard to find, but they are truly gems who will give you 300K+ miles if well maintained. They're not the best looking cars on the road, but they're among the best running. The 240s are built like German tanks. We just bought a 1991 Volvo 240 with 83K miles for $3,000!

Poety said:
I'm thinking MERCEDES babay! Used ofcourse :D

Used german cars are a great deal. (oops, can't say "used" anymore; I meant "pre-owned" :rolleyes: ) Anyway, after a couple years, the price is comparable to a new "regular" car, but the things last for-freakin-ever, and drive like a dream. Like I said above, I've always had used beemers, and my mother-in-law gets pre-owned mercedes for the same reason. My husband covets her 2-seater.

As long as we're on the subject of things we would like to one day be able to afford, I will go ahead and list some of the things for which I have developed a taste that outclasses my current bank account:

- single-malt scotch
- wine
- cheese
- sushi
- Macs
- and I need a summer home on a some remote greek island

Hurricane said:
Used german cars are a great deal. (oops, can't say "used" anymore; I meant "pre-owned" :rolleyes: ) Anyway, after a couple years, the price is comparable to a new "regular" car, but the things last for-freakin-ever, and drive like a dream. Like I said above, I've always had used beemers, and my mother-in-law gets pre-owned mercedes for the same reason. My husband covets her 2-seater.

As long as we're on the subject of things we would like to one day be able to afford, I will go ahead and list some of the things for which I have developed a taste that outclasses my current bank account:

- single-malt scotch
- wine
- cheese
- sushi
- Macs
- and I need a summer home on a some remote greek island

:laugh: These are great!

And on the "preowned" issue - since we're being PC, I was told yesterday that they are "certified preowned, not just preowned" :laugh:

Things I cannot afford but would like:

-a live in nanny that cooks and cleans
-one of those really cool flat screen tv's that all the cool people have on the commercials
-a new skydiving rig
-a vacation home in colorado (and money for the lift tickets)
-beer

Hurricane has better taste in the fine dining department than I do ;)

Poety said:
:laugh: These are great!

And on the "preowned" issue - since we're being PC, I was told yesterday that they are "certified preowned, not just preowned" :laugh:

Things I cannot afford but would like:

-a live in nanny that cooks and cleans
-one of those really cool flat screen tv's that all the cool people have on the commercials
-a new skydiving rig
-a vacation home in colorado (and money for the lift tickets)
-beer

A good German beer, I assume? Preferably not pre-owned!

Poety said:

If you want a hugeass TV without paying thousands of $$, do what we did: Get an LCD or DLP projector (like the kind people use for powerpoint presentations), mount it on the ceiling, and buy a $100 movie screen. Instant home theater. Ours does HDTV and progressive scan too. Just like going to the movies, except that it doesn't cost 8 bucks for a coke. As long as you've got a big wall and a dark room, it works (and looks) great. We've got a 100" TV for a fraction of the cost of a 50".

You just need to eat more ;) I come from a family of restaurateurs. MGF even had a 5-star back in the 60s, way before my time. However, I am not - and hope that no one would ever mistake me for - one of those pretentious wannabe food-critic type people. I simply like to eat, and I like to cook. That is all. Just the other day, I was sitting in a great restaurant, soaking up the ambience and enjoying a tasty meal, and the couple next to me was obnoxiously deconstructing everything around them. I needed some botox to contain my eye-roll. Ugh, just enjoy yourself instead of expending so much energy trying to impress everyone around you with your "expertise." Same goes for those people who make a big deal about sniffing wine corks. People seem to think it makes them look like some kind of European wine connessieur. Nobody does that in Europe. They just drink and enjoy it. I'm no wine expert, but the real wine experts I know say that you get no useful information from sniffing the cork anyway. You can simply glance at it to see if it's dried out. End rant.

:laugh: about the "pre-owned" beer. My other GF hated beer. He used to say: "you can just pour it back into the horse." :laugh:

Hurricane said:
If you want a hugeass TV without paying thousands of $$, do what we did: Get an LCD or DLP projector (like the kind people use for powerpoint presentations), mount it on the ceiling, and buy a $100 movie screen. Instant home theater. Ours does HDTV and progressive scan too. Just like going to the movies, except that it doesn't cost 8 bucks for a coke. As long as you've got a big wall and a dark room, it works (and looks) great. We've got a 100" TV for a fraction of the cost of a 50".

You just need to eat more ;) I come from a family of restaurateurs. MGF even had a 5-star back in the 60s, way before my time. However, I am not - and hope that no one would ever mistake me for - one of those pretentious wannabe food-critic type people. I simply like to eat, and I like to cook. That is all. Just the other day, I was sitting in a great restaurant, soaking up the ambience and enjoying a tasty meal, and the couple next to me was obnoxiously deconstructing everything around them. I needed some botox to contain my eye-roll. Ugh, just enjoy yourself instead of expending so much energy trying to impress everyone around you with your "expertise." Same goes for those people who make a big deal about sniffing wine corks. People seem to think it makes them look like some kind of European wine connessieur. Nobody does that in Europe. They just drink and enjoy it. I'm no wine expert, but the real wine experts I know say that you get no useful information from sniffing the cork anyway. You can simply glance at it to see if it's dried out. End rant.

:laugh: about the "pre-owned" beer. My other GF hated beer. He used to say: "you can just pour it back into the horse." :laugh:

Beer - I'd like to be able to even afford domestic beer :p

I'm going to have to check into that theatre you made! What a great idea!!!

:laugh: I wish I liked half of the 4star restaurant foods. I'm such a steak and potatoes kinda girl :p I won't even try most stuff - I'm so boring!

I do like art though - so I would like to purchase some beautiful pieces when money allows for that expenditure. I'm actually watching this HBO on demand series about TUnich who does all those nudes in places like Times Square and all over the place.

Although I wouldn't personally buy one of his pieces, I find his art quite breathtaking - to see all those bodies next to eachother, its kind of erie (how do spell eery? eerie?) eary? :laugh: Anyway, because it sort of reminds you of the holocaust photos you see in old history books - I dunno - have you seen any of those (Tunich photos, not those awful holocaust ones)?

Poety said:
Beer - I'd like to be able to even afford domestic beer :p

I'm going to have to check into that theatre you made! What a great idea!!!

:laugh: I wish I liked half of the 4star restaurant foods. I'm such a steak and potatoes kinda girl :p I won't even try most stuff - I'm so boring!

I do like art though - so I would like to purchase some beautiful pieces when money allows for that expenditure. I'm actually watching this HBO on demand series about TUnich who does all those nudes in places like Times Square and all over the place.

Although I wouldn't personally buy one of his pieces, I find his art quite breathtaking - to see all those bodies next to eachother, its kind of erie (how do spell eery? eerie?) eary? :laugh: Anyway, because it sort of reminds you of the holocaust photos you see in old history books - I dunno - have you seen any of those (Tunich photos, not those awful holocaust ones)?

I had never heard of him, but I googled and found his website. Crazy!

I suppose I've started a modest art collection over the past 10 years... Stuff from various places that's caught my eye - street vendors, local art shows, the internet, vintage movie posters, artist friends. I'm mostly into colorful, expressionist-ish stuff. And I don't even pretend to have the slightest idea what I'm talking about when it comes to art. (despite 2 semesters of art history in college) I just know what I like :)

Of course, it's not all framed yet. Framing is expensive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hurricane said:
I had never heard of him, but I googled and found his website. Crazy!

I suppose I've started a modest art collection over the past 10 years... Stuff from various places that's caught my eye - street vendors, local art shows, the internet, vintage movie posters, artist friends. I'm mostly into colorful, expressionist-ish stuff. And I don't even pretend to have the slightest idea what I'm talking about when it comes to art. (despite 2 semesters of art history in college) I just know what I like :)

Of course, it's not all framed yet. Framing is expensive!

Yes, all of my paintings are just on canvas - there is no way I can afford to frame them!! i did make a few bucks though in Philly selling my pieces which was so cool to actually have someone pay for them!!

I figured out what I'm spending all this money on - finishing up teh REMODEL on this stupid money pit house - just to get it ready to sell <sigh> why is life so expensive?!

Just think Hurricane, in a few years none of this will mean a thing to us, you'll have your frames, I'll have my newer house :) How lovely that will be!!

I got a Wii for Valentine's Day from my sweetheart, and now I think I pulled a deltoid muscle in my right arm during home-run derby.

For Valentine;s Day, I gave my sweetheart a "micro talking Dalek" figurine (evil robot-like creature from Doctor Who) that yells "Exterminate!" when you poke its head. The cat is afraid of it. As he should be.

I have to take Step 3 tomorrow. Bleh. Off to bed...

For Valentine;s Day, I gave my sweetheart a "micro talking Dalek" figurine (evil robot-like creature from Doctor Who) that yells "Exterminate!" when you poke its head. The cat is afraid of it. As he should be.

I have to take Step 3 tomorrow. Bleh. Off to bed...

Wow, good luck.

You'll be fine. Pray for lots of psych questions....
:cool:

I just got my very own script pads this week. Oxycontin, here I come.....

Hm. That reminds me I need to apply for my unrestricted license. Oh the joys of paperwork. Oh the joys of giving the government money . . .

Hippie chick with hairy legs.

Board exams blow... mmmmm, good beer (or even cheap, crappy beer... as long there's beer involved) after step 2 tomorrow.

I got a Wii for Valentine's Day from my sweetheart, and now I think I pulled a deltoid muscle in my right arm during home-run derby.

*grumble* I wish I had a Wii. My wife is on a purge (with no binging) spree, and refuses to indulge my need to unwind through frivolous but rewarding exercises in video gaming. It's a battle I don't think I'll be winning anytime soon. I even sold a beloved dvd copy of the MST3K movie for 100 bucks to prove that I could get rid of some stuff, too, before the inevitable packing for the move s/p Match Day. Didn't work.

Dammit.

I've got street fighter II on my Sega Genesis.

Nothing beats a classic.

At least that's what I keep telling myself when I hear things about people and their Wii's

Heh. I'm playing Tecmo Super Bowl on a NES emulator on my ds lite. It's one of the only joys left in my video gaming after college. In college, it was all smash brothers melee, all the time.

Board exams blow... mmmmm, good beer (or even cheap, crappy beer... as long there's beer involved) after step 2 tomorrow.

As I've moved into attending-hood, I find that I prefer single malt scotch to beer. Is this a bad thing?:confused:
It may change when the weather gets hot and I can get back to hefeweisens with lemon...:)

As I've moved into attending-hood, I find that I prefer single malt scotch to beer. Is this a bad thing?:confused:

As do I. However, as I'm still an intern, my tastes are outrunning my paycheck. :(

We don't have a Wii yet, but I want one. We have an old school Nintendo, Playstation, and Atari 2600 though. My favorite game is Katamari Damacy.

Yeah... starting in July I don't think there'll be much potential time for me to be playing with my Wii, had I a Wii to while whimsily away with.

Yeah... starting in July I don't there'll be much potential time for me to be playing with my Wii, had I a Wii to while whimsily away with.

I thought that my video game playing days were over once I started having kids, only to discover that 6 year olds can get "Santa" to bring them a Wii for Christmas, then have to go to bed at 7:30pm, leaving the Wii available for Mommy & Daddy to spend another 3 hours playing without any kids around. Never did I imagine that my video game usage would have a bimodal curve. What will happen if my kids want to take the game system away with them to college??

MBK2003

I thought that my video game playing days were over once I started having kids, only to discover that 6 year olds can get "Santa" to bring them a Wii for Christmas, then have to go to bed at 7:30pm, leaving the Wii available for Mommy & Daddy to spend another 3 hours playing without any kids around. Never did I imagine that my video game usage would have a bimodal curve. What will happen if my kids want to take the game system away with them to college??

MBK2003

you want them to focus on their studies

you want them to focus on their studies
:D :D :D
That's a great one that I'm going to write in my book of prepared answers to the difficult dilemmas of children. Thanks!

MBK2003

I haven't bought a Wii or 360 yet :( . But the nice thing is that now that the new consoles are out, a lot of old xbox games are only twenty dollars. i can finally afford to buy the games I used to long after.

Do you think the meaning of existence is profound or silly? What if our entire purpose was to act as filters to transform all liquids into urine? I find this strangely uplifting, because I would love to sit at the entrance to the afterlife and watch peoples reactions to the news. Can you imagine seeing someone who lived their entire life according to a certain religion find out they could do anything they wanted as long as they kept peeing?

It is possible that much like we need plants to produce oxygen, some higher being we can not even percieve needs our urine to continue existing.

Thoughts?

I haven't bought a Wii or 360 yet :( . But the nice thing is that now that the new consoles are out, a lot of old xbox games are only twenty dollars. i can finally afford to buy the games I used to long after.

Do you think the meaning of existence is profound or silly? What if our entire purpose was to act as filters to transform all liquids into urine? I find this strangely uplifting, because I would love to sit at the entrance to the afterlife and watch peoples reactions to the news. Can you imagine seeing someone who lived their entire life according to a certain religion find out they could do anything they wanted as long as they kept peeing?

It is possible that much like we need plants to produce oxygen, some higher being we can not even percieve needs our urine to continue existing.

Thoughts?

A higher being that can't even make urine? Not very impressive. I'm sure that it can be made in the lab without the need for human kidneys.

Do you think the meaning of existence is profound or silly? What if our entire purpose was to act as filters to transform all liquids into urine?

Thoughts?

I thought it had already been determined that we were being kept alive to serve as batteries for the computers creating our illusion of existence...

BTW, there was a great Dilbert strip last year in which Wally stated that his purpose on the job was to transport massive quantities of coffee between the break room and the urinal, or some such thing. So perhaps your idea is not so far fetched.

A higher being that can't even make urine? Not very impressive. I'm sure that it can be made in the lab without the need for human kidneys.

We can make a lot of things in the lab, but we still have mitochondria. Why make something in the lab when you can have a bunch of independent organisms make it automatically? Also, just because a being is higher than us on the food chain doesn't mean it's impressive. We're technically higher up on the chain than plants, but we are totally dependent on them because we can't convert sunlight and water into energy. Yet we have almost total power over them and they have no way to percieve us (that we are aware of).

So do people on dialysis automatically go do existential pee-hell?

Maybe it's some sort of purgatory. I don't actually think this is the meaning of life. Most people tend to think life has this big profound reason for being. I just wonder if it's something completely silly yet necessary.

I'm following a full-blown Cushings Disease with a text book classic exam--moon facies, buffalo hump, stia, hirusitism, truncal obesity--I could just read the exam out of the text. We believe she is also developed secondary psychosis from the excess cortisol and now refuses treatment because God told her that fasting will shrink the adenoma.

Any way, I've been told it's rare to see a classic cushings disease...It made my week!!!

Have you been reading Douglas Adams again, Dartos? :D

I first read Hitch hikers guide about 14ish years ago and have re-read it multiple times since. Those are great books. When I saw that they were making a movie out of it I was like :eek: . Those are not books that translate well to screen. My favorite part of the entire book is when the main character finds out he inadvertently killed a particular being in every single one of it's thousand incarnations, and then accidentally kills it again.

Why does every single book and superhero need a movie made about it now? They are currently making the Golden compass trilogy into a movie. Which kind of cracks me up, because I don't think parents know their children are reading a book about two pre-teens who set out on a quest to kill God. A little darker than Harry Potter.

Maybe it's some sort of purgatory. I don't actually think this is the meaning of life. Most people tend to think life has this big profound reason for being. I just wonder if it's something completely silly yet necessary.

lets not confuse "purpose" and "meaning". In the hitchhikers guide, everything had a purpose, despite it's improbability and often bizarre nature, everything had a reason. For example the whale, that a moment before was a nuclear warhead-- sent to destroy the crew, from an ancient defense device, made to deter visitors-- fell from the sky and it's purpose in life, as it descended upon the planet magrathea, was then to create a crater large enough for the crew to find an entrance to the planet--which they would never have found if they were not deterred in the first place. the meaning be hind it all is pretty, silly, as you say, and even ironic, yet still loaded with reason and purpose.

The opossite of this would be if Taoism was the correct answer-- then life's purpose would be actually to have no purpose, just have meaning. We know of course, however, that Taoism is not the correct answer, because we know the correct answer is 42.

Urination is not the answer either, its not ironic enough, and it also is not 42.

so... this March weather pretty much blows, right?

Is anyone else having these (or had them when they were going through the match)? I'm having them with alarming frequency, the most vivid of which occurred last week.

I open the envelope on match day, and see the name of a program I didn't interview at and had never heard of before (and which doesn't exist in real life). It turns out I didn't match, and my program secretary went ahead and scrambled for me, then put the name of the program in the envelope as if nothing had happened. I remember being extremely pissed off yet grateful and relieved at the same time. *Sigh.* Only 10 more days....

I haven't yet, but I bet I will now:scared: . i think I'm burned out on being worried. I'm going to have PTSD from the match. I keep thinking I forgot to finalize my ROL or something and then remember I did it a LONG time ago.