The Free Associate Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Talk about your dreams, thoughts, random nonsensical manifestations of cortical abberations, or simply free associate. The makings of an epic thread.

I'll begin.

FA (free associate):

Renaissance faire.

Members don't see this ad.

Bill Clinton

Members don't see this ad :)
Anasazi23 said:
Cheeseburgers.

(Is Bill Clinton related to Renaissance Faires? Or is that just a FA?)

When he was Governor of Arkansas -- my home state -- he would attend some type of Renaissance Faire every year in South Carolina; so, when I hear "Renaissance Faire", I think "Bill Clinton"!

BTW, Arkansas Governors need more things to occupy their time :) .

I feel like my invention ideas are constantly being taken by someone, and marketed for their profit.

Short list of things I have deluded myself into thinking I intellectually invented:

1. Pump toothpaste
2. Rear bumper infrared warning system on cars
3. Stethescope recorder
4. Microsoft natural keyboard
5. Lighted keyboard
6. Self-adhesive stamps

Quite a few more that I can't think of right now.

Anasazi23 said:
I feel like my invention ideas are constantly being taken by someone, and marketed for their profit.

Short list of things I have deluded myself into thinking I intellectually invented:

1. Pump toothpaste
2. Rear bumper infrared warning system on cars
3. Stethescope recorder
4. Microsoft natural keyboard
5. Lighted keyboard
6. Self-adhesive stamps

Quite a few more that I can't think of right now.

In 7th grade (early 90's), I did my science project on static electricity and suggested that it can be used as a household cleaning aide. My science teacher gave me a B+.

A decade or so later, what do we have? Freaking Swiffer. *sigh*

-N

I recently had a dream where terrorist's took me hostage. I was alone in a room watching them walk around holding automatic rifles, then later I awoke in the same room and they were not there anymore. So I got up after much apprehension and went out to talk to them. I spoke to one terrorist, he was friendly actually and I told him I was just an average american with nothing to help him. Somehow we ended up outside, the terrorist was talking/yelling at someone else so I figured it a good time to run. When I ran, only got about 50 feet and he yelled at me to stop before letting fire with his automatic AK-47 type gun... At this point, I woke up. Checked the news, just in case.
:eek:

Last night I dreamt (sp?) that I was on a cruise ship, but that it began to sink like the Titanic. Many chose to go down with the ship, hoping help would arrive in time. I and a few others, however, jumped ship when it started to list. But, it turns out the ocean was completely frozen over, and when I jumped, I landed with a thud on my rear on the ice, and started running, hoping I could get help or at least get away before the ship broke through the ice and took me down with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
NewRawTick said:
In 7th grade (early 90's), I did my science project on static electricity and suggested that it can be used as a household cleaning aide. My science teacher gave me a B+.

A decade or so later, what do we have? Freaking Swiffer. *sigh*

-N

I feel your pain.

Anasazi23 said:
Orange-you-smart
Red haired girl
college
hockey team...
tavern
highlighter
bunk-beds...
other stuff
:hardy:

University of Minnesota Womens Hockey -- NCAA National Champions.

We had the brakes fixed in the Volvo, and when we got the car back, the radio went into it's "insert code to activate" mode. She lost the code, and Volvo says they don't know it for some reason.

So now she has to commute without a radio to Long Island everyday. I bought her a boombox type radio with a CD player, but the things gets horrible reception and eats batteries like crazy. I figured we're only keeping this crappy car another year and it wasn't worth putting a cd/radio in it since we're giving it to her brother. He'll want a better one anyway most likely.

Anasazi23 said:
We had the brakes fixed in the Volvo, and when we got the car back, the radio went into it's "insert code to activate" mode. She lost the code, and Volvo says they don't know it for some reason.

So now she has to commute without a radio to Long Island everyday. I bought her a boombox type radio with a CD player, but the things gets horrible reception and eats batteries like crazy. I figured we're only keeping this crappy car another year and it wasn't worth putting a cd/radio in it since we're giving it to her brother. He'll want a better one anyway most likely.

I used to have an old jeep wrangler and the radio broke so i used an old boom box

I had the boombox idea for the drive out to Seattle from Pittsburgh this summer. The day before, my brother-in-law told us about a mini-FM transmitter that will broadcast your cd player. 2 months later we were driving through the hot sun of the Great Plains. Struggling to stay awake, I listened to The Stranger by Albert Camus on CD. The protagonist in the story was so apathetic. Except for a vague idea that the book is a classic of existential philsophy, I wasn't sure what to make of the whole thing. . . turning on NPR"s All Things Considered was a relief.

I remember the first "boombox" that I ever purchased -- sixth grade I believe.
I thought that I was "the bomb". Now, looking back 16 years later, I realize that I was "the dork". Oh well, some things never change! :cool:

BTW, my dream car is a Volvo. In sixth grade, I thought that Volvo's were the ultimate "no no". I am sure that the "12 year old me" would not like the 30-year-old me very much! I don't care though, like I said: 'I was a "dork"'. :smuggrin:

:love: :love: :love: VOLVO :love: :love: :love:

Has anyone else had a problem posting? I have posted a couple of times, and the posts have seemed to go through. The problem: my name comes up; but, the post never actually posts. One example is a thread that I tried to start regarding the cost of interviews. The thread "headline" posted, only the text was deleted! Any comments/suggestions?

I've been checking out these threads for a little while now to stay up to date on applying to residencies, but this is the first thread interesting enough to post to...

So I'm currently on a medicine AI (god I miss psychiatry), and during my half hour snooze on my last call, I had my first ever animated dream. I was among the world of Family Guy, but I knew that it was an early episode because Stewie looked poorly drawn.

free association to favorite car: Hybrid (mainly so that I can recreate the closing scene of Six Feet Under).

Animated dream, eh? Can't say I've ever had that.

I often have dreams that I'm asleep and dreaming, then I wake up, and feel like I have to regain consciousness from two levels of dreaming to become oriented again.

I've found myself playing music beautifully and writing uncannily good prose, even reading pages upon pages of a wonderfully-written novel, only to awaken, and find that it was all 'just a dream.' But, the notes seemed to flow so correctly and the writing was so natural. Very unlike how I would write in a normal waking state.

I guess that's why rock stars did heavy drugs...to tap into this subconscious talent - a la Jim Morrison.

Anasazi23 said:
Animated dream, eh? Can't say I've ever had that.

I often have dreams that I'm asleep and dreaming, then I wake up, and feel like I have to regain consciousness from two levels of dreaming to become oriented again.

I've found myself playing music beautifully and writing uncannily good prose, even reading pages upon pages of a wonderfully-written novel, only to awaken, and find that it was all 'just a dream.' But, the notes seemed to flow so correctly and the writing was so natural. Very unlike how I would write in a normal waking state.

I guess that's why rock stars did heavy drugs...to tap into this subconscious talent - a la Jim Morrison.

I thought you were female I won't call you ana anymore :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hate paying for a dinner when the service SUCKS!I think that severs who ignore their guests ought to be forced to make a public apology in the restaurant! I hope that I don't sound bitter--even though I am bitter! I just spent $125.00 on a dinner for TWO, and my drink was NEVER refilled, my appetizer arrived three minutes AFTER the entree', and my server even had the gall to state that the "appetizer tastes better before the meal!" HA! HA!???????

I didn't stiff her--I was a server once! I did, however, inform the manager who assured me that she is one of their "better servers". Okay then, I guess that I'll eat elsewhere next time. Not that they'll even notice!

My free association was *&^%%$^^%$**! Well, you get the point!

I just ate a bag full of white chocolate almond bark that I got free from a friend who works at Munson's. Currently washing it down with beer.

Beer + Chocolate = Bliss!

Is anyone playing Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox?
Or any X-box live at all?

I can't wait for the new one to come out. (both the new Battlefront game and the Xbox 360 itself.)

I'm a new mom and last night I dreamt that I went to an interview and they wanted to see the way I hold the baby in order to determine if I got in or not. Well, I was at Harvard and they said I was holding the baby all wrong for their program and that until I learned not to pick her up from under her arms (like how else would you pick up a baby?!) that I shouldn't even bother applying there.

So later that day, I went back in and picked her up by her legs, in some strange maneuver I can't even explain- they said, YEAH THATS IT, and I got accepted. :confused:

My cat thinks hes a dog, he follows me around and comes when I call him - how odd. His new thing is sleeping in the baby's bassinett so I have to keep changing the sheets.

free associate: snausages

Poety said:
I'm a new mom and last night I dreamt that I went to an interview and they wanted to see the way I hold the baby in order to determine if I got in or not. Well, I was at Harvard and they said I was holding the baby all wrong for their program and that until I learned not to pick her up from under her arms (like how else would you pick up a baby?!) that I shouldn't even bother applying there.

New mom anxiety plus interview anxiety...explains a lot.

Bottom line: don't rank any programs that require you to hold the baby by its feet. Neither you or baby will end up liking it very much! ;)

OldPsychDoc said:
New mom anxiety plus interview anxiety...explains a lot.

Bottom line: don't rank any programs that require you to hold the baby by its feet. Neither you or baby will end up liking it very much! ;)

<laffin out loud!!> :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

At the local grocery store you can buy wild caught salmon or the kind that is injected with dye and raised on a farm. I took the fish guys advice and bought the wild caught and I must say, it was gross. :barf:

My husband is now going out to buy the color injected kind. :oops:

Just trying to keep the thread alive until Anasazi can come back :)

F@^% me if I'm wrong but isn't your name Shaneequa?

melvin said:
F@^% me if I'm wrong but isn't your name Shaneequa?

not hardly, why is yours? <rollin eyes> :smuggrin:

Just bought my powerball tickets! Tomorrow, when I'm worth more than $300million, I will send a shout-out to all the SDN folks during my T.V. interview--I'm sure that they'll want me to do the gratuitous T.V. interview!

It feels sooo good to not to have to worry about my student loans. Hell, what's $160,000.? Chump change.

Anasazi23 said:
Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and pastes. Now, I've heard the arguments on both sides, and there is nothing to convince me of the need to brush your teeth.
--Master Shake

Heh. That made me laugh, as I grew up in a town where to this day they won't fluronate the water. Y'know, because it's a communist plot to infiltrate our precious bodily fluids or whatever... :rolleyes:

Anasazi23 said:
I can't decide what to be for Halloween...

you could be that little green thing thats next to your name

I really love Home Depot! Every time I go I leave telling myself that "I will go there more often". I never return as soon as I tell myself that I will. But, this time for sure! :thumbup:

BTW, my favorite sections are the lighting, cabinet, and power tool sections. When I'm a doctor, I will visit HD :thumbup: EVERY week :thumbup: !

Yeah, I love National Wholesale Liquidators. That store rocks! Spices cheap, and friggin sour mix for $0.99! I can make whiskey sours and tom collins till I puke without guilt.

I can't wait for the Crusades History Channel special this weekend. It's my reward for being on call all day and overnight on Saturday. +pity+

I'm sick of call...can't wait to be a third year.

Residency is so much scut...it's degrading. I learned how to fill out a God-da*&$d Clozaril form in 1 minute my first year of residency. There's nothing left for me to learn from it...YOU DO IT! :mad:

Anasazi23 said:
Yeah, I love National Wholesale Liquidators. That store rocks! Spices cheap, and friggin sour mix for $0.99! I can make whiskey sours and tom collins till I puke without guilt.

I can't wait for the Crusades History Channel special this weekend. It's my reward for being on call all day and overnight on Saturday. +pity+

I'm sick of call...can't wait to be a third year.

Residency is so much scut...it's degrading. I learned how to fill out a God-da*&$d Clozaril form in 1 minute my first year of residency. There's nothing left for me to learn from it...YOU DO IT! :mad:

Is scut work filling out forms and stuff? I love doing that kinda stuff :eek:

I'm starting to think scut work is "nurse" stuff - hmmm especially since I've never actually "felt" scutted - I often wonder, what do they mean by scut work? Taking blood? I do that, filling out the forms, oh I love that, discharging a patient, oh I'm good at that too! I suppose its all in how you look at it. Hope I continue to not feel scutted :) And Sazi, I hope you stop feeling like you're getting scutted :)

I've been looking forward to the same History Channel program!

mosche said:

I've been looking forward to the same History Channel program!

This has GOT to be a male thing cuz my husband has been saying the SAME THING - spOoKy :rolleyes:

Poety said:
This has GOT to be a male thing cuz my husband has been saying the SAME THING - spOoKy :rolleyes:

What's really weird is: I don't really consider myself to be a religious person; however, I love religious history! My favorite historical figure is Martin Luther--I AM NOT Lutheran--but I find his story/neurosis fascinating. Also, I love the heroic image of one lone priest taking on the ENTIRE Holy Roman Empire. Good stuff! :clap: :clap:

Anasazi23 said:
The media is desensitizing us to the formation of the official 10th Crusade.

You're scaring me :scared:

Comon...it's obvious that's what's happening. "Kingdom of Heaven" movie, History channel Crusades special...

The 10th Crusade will fight against the Islamo-fascists. Recruiting will start soon. :smuggrin:

Just thought that I would bump Anasazi's thread, since we (I) tend to get a bit off topic. Poety, I applied to eleven programs and got eleven invites. I accepted all invites except MGH -- just too intense for my world! I have cancelled UNC; so that leaves me with 9! If I end up having to scramble, I'm giving up my dream of becoming a doctor, moving to Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin and becoming a teacher! During off time, I will work for National Geographic magazine and will take pictures of the local moose and snow covered lakes. :love: