The "Genetics Section" on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LacySmithYes

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard sooo many people say their bio section was almost all genetics stuff. I have taken Genetics and Biochem as well as Physiology I and II but that is all. I am a biochem major and will be taking classes in metabolism and cell processes. I can also take a class on protein form and function this fall. Does anyone think an entire class on proteins would be useful for the MCAT which I am taking in Jan ? What other one bio class should I take before the MCAT ? Immuno ? Micro ? Protein form and Function ? Any ideas ?

Members don't see this ad.

LacySmithYes said:
I have heard sooo many people say their bio section was almost all genetics stuff. I have taken Genetics and Biochem as well as Physiology I and II but that is all. I am a biochem major and will be taking classes in metabolism and cell processes. I can also take a class on protein form and function this fall. Does anyone think an entire class on proteins would be useful for the MCAT which I am taking in Jan ? What other one bio class should I take before the MCAT ? Immuno ? Micro ? Protein form and Function ? Any ideas ?

Please ask MCAT questions in the MCAT forum... I'm moving this one over there for you.

Thanks!

I REALLY doubt it would help you answer any question on the MCAT more than any of those previous classes you mentioned. If it helped at all it would be on one or two questions at the most; and they would probably have been covered by a lower level class anyway.

If you're just thinking about taking that class to help on the MCAT then your time would be much better spent just looking over some basic biology for the semester or even on physics and verbal. That would be much higher yield on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt like my exam form had a fair amount of genetics. It wasn't covered very well in my TPR class, but that's not a good excuse for me not knowing it. Knowing about genetics will give you an advantage, but the higher level science classes that you are referring to shouldn't be necessary.

Coming from an individual that has taken the MCAT three times, I would say that there is a fair amount of genetics, more than Organic Chemistry. All in all, more biology on the biological science than organic chemistry. :idea:

Medicineman20 said:
Coming from an individual that has taken the MCAT three times, I would say that there is a fair amount of genetics, more than Organic Chemistry. All in all, more biology on the biological science than organic chemistry. :idea:

That's because it is stated that orgo is 25% of the section. No surprise there.