The Happy Happy Joy Joy Thread

Started by deleted128562
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You’re pretty damn close. Mustard first (half Dijon, 1/2 regular)

Then 3 separate rubs plus brown sugar. Yea, both bone in.

Put it on at 5:30 pm at 225°. Didn’t finish until 1:00 pm the next day!

19 1/2 hrs! My longest smoke, ever. They were both 10lbs and having two, made it take longer, I think. Plus I didn’t wrap them. Just raw dog, the whole time

Tasted incredible. My best batch ever, I think.

They look great! I used to crutch my pork shoulders just to speed things up but I'm a huge fan of no foil/wrapping at all anymore. Love the bark that develops. I'll often up the temp to 250-275 once I hit 160-170 though just to push through the stall.

Do you use any finishing sauce? That's been my favorite addition the past few cooks I've done, a sauce based around apple cider vinegar with some pepper, just a little bit, helps cut some of the fatty mouthfeel and I love the flavor. My go-to is this:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
 
1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Hmm...That seems really good. When I'm done and have pulled the pork, I usually sprinkle some of the rub I used at the start, into the meat and mix it up. I then put a tiny bit of barbecue sauce in and mix it up. With this step, I want to add enough to make it tasty enough you don't need to add sauce, but sparing enough it's not detectable by amateurs.