The Hardest Part...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The hardest part of this process for me is everyone knowing I'm going through it...

You know... People telling you they just got in to all your favorite schools, and then asking you if you did... And you haven't heard or got bad news.

My mom checking the mail (I'm out of town) and telling me a school doesn't want me. She wants me in a top school really bad, and she's so dissappointed I haven't heard.

I got rejected from WashU today, and she sounded so upset, I kept telling her I was so okay with it, and then I got off the phone and cried. *sigh*

Part of me actually thinks this process would be easier if no one knew I was applying to med school, and no one ever asked questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Very few people know I'm applying. I like it that way.

The hardest part of this process for me is everyone knowing I'm going through it...

You know... People telling you they just got in to all your favorite schools, and then asking you if you did... And you haven't heard or got bad news.

My mom checking the mail (I'm out of town) and telling me a school doesn't want me. She wants me in a top school really bad, and she's so dissappointed I haven't heard.

I got rejected from WashU today, and she sounded so upset, I kept telling her I was so okay with it, and then I got off the phone and cried. *sigh*

Part of me actually thinks this process would be easier if no one knew I was applying to med school, and no one ever asked questions.

You know, this is a very stressful, very grueling process. You need your family and friends to be there with you, to give you hope and encouragment as you fight to achieve your dream. However, I think you're making too much out of your situation. You have an acceptance!!! Be happy. There are many people out there, including myself, who would love to have that acceptance. Who cares if you don't get into a top 20 school?? Is it really going to make you that much better of a doctor? Medical School is all about what you make of it, and what you put into it. And so, it really doesn't matter if you go to WashU or your state school.

I understand you're a competitive, intelligent and high achieveing student. If I were you, I'd focus on being the best possible medical student that I could be. Maybe you can leave a mark on the school that you do attend.

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't think about it that much, but it really is a bummer. Having my dad call me and tell me I got rejected was like being told my dog got ran over by a car. Look at the positive side... it's awesome when you get to tell everyone you know the good news.:thumbup:

You know, this is a very stressful, very grueling process. You need your family and friends to be there with you, to give you hope and encouragment as you fight to achieve your dream. However, I think you're making too much out of your situation. You have an acceptance!!! Be happy. There are many people out there, including myself, who would love to have that acceptance. Who cares if you don't get into a top 20 school?? Is it really going to make you that much better of a doctor? Medical School is all about what you make of it, and what you put into it. And so, it really doesn't matter if you go to WashU or your state school.

I understand you're a competitive, intelligent and high achieveing student. If I were you, I'd focus on being the best possible medical student that I could be. Maybe you can leave a mark on the school that you do attend.

Um, I never said I wan't thrilled to be going to med school. I am, and I loved OU.

My post was simply me venting about how hard it is for ME to have other people in on this process.

I am a girl... an EMOTIONAL girl. I cry sometimes when I'm sad. I loved WashU, and I cried. It's not about the fact that it's top ten. It's because I genuinely loved the school, and both my parents and I liked the idea of me being in St. Louis.

Please do not automatically assume that just because I have down moments, I am some gunner who's miserable I'm not in a top ten at this point.

I will be an excellent doctor, and I will probably choose OU, even if I get into another, just because of cost and location. BUT, that doesn't make it a less emotional experience for me.

My post was not me complaining about not getting into a top ten. Please do not make it about that. I am happy and blessed.

Alright, I was trying to be supportive and not angry, but for Christ's sake you people have acceptances!!!! What the hell are you complaining about?? Yes, rejections do suck. And yes, it's demoralizing when someone close to you has to break the bad news. I know. When my dad handed me the rejection letter from my #1 school I felt like a pile of manure. But I have to move on, have to keep on working and improving myself. It's time for you folks to move on, grow up and become a medical student.

Alright, I was trying to be supportive and not angry, but for Christ's sake you people have acceptances!!!! What the hell are you complaining about?? Yes, rejections do suck. And yes, it's demoralizing when someone close to you has to break the bad news. I know. When my dad handed me the rejection letter from my #1 school I felt like a pile of manure. But I have to move on, have to keep on working and improving myself. It's time for you folks to move on, grow up and become a medical student.

I resent this. I have a right to not be perfectly sublimely happy all the time! And I have just as much of a right to vent about why I'm upset as you have to vent about not having an acceptance, eyt.

I'm sorry you haven't gotten in, yet, and I hope you do.

Meanwhile, I vented why I happened to be upset, and I get jumped on for daring to not be dreaming of bunnies and clouds.

I did grow up, and I realized life sometimes isn't exactly what you want, and I also realized that venting helps me get over it.

Also, you may find that when you do get an acceptance, everything will not always be perfect... Med school is expensive and hard and long... And you may vent about those things, just like the allopathic kids do.

Please let me have my vent, and I'll let you have yours.

I resent this. I have a right to not be perfectly sublimely happy all the time! And I have just as much of a right to vent about why I'm upset as you have to vent about not having an acceptance, eyt.

I'm sorry you haven't gotten in, yet, and I hope you do.

Meanwhile, I vented why I happened to be upset, and I get jumped on for daring to not be dreaming of bunnies and clouds.

I did grow up, and I realized life sometimes isn't exactly what you want, and I also realized that venting helps me get over it.

Also, you may find that when you do get an acceptance, everything will not always be perfect... Med school is expensive and hard and long... And you may vent about those things, just like the allopathic kids do.

Well I apoligize for being so harsh, and you are entitled to your venting. I understand that this is an emotionally draining process. I was at wits end while I was waiting to hear back from schools. But this is all a part of the choices that you make and the life you want to live. It only gets harder from here on out, and I for one feel like you have to be stronger than that. If blowing off some steam makes you confident that you won't be eaten alive by the investment you are making in your future then so be it. But if you have other issues I seriously would consider taking a vaction, realxing and enjoying yourself before the gauntlet begins.

And another thing. You shouldn't expect things to be perfect. I don't know what your life has been like, but I know from experience that things are never even close to perfect. Many times life is far, far from it. But, I make the best out of my situation, and that was my real point. Make the best out of what you have and don't let what you don't have drag you down.

I applied at the end of my senior year, so when I went back to my alma mater the other day for a basketball game, campus was just crawling with people who knew I had applied. Every five minutes I had to run through the whole "well, I have one waitlist, but now I'm studying for the MCAT again and will apply again" speech. I'll tell you, that got old real quick.

I applied at the end of my senior year, so when I went back to my alma mater the other day for a basketball game, campus was just crawling with people who knew I had applied. Every five minutes I had to run through the whole "well, I have one waitlist, but now I'm studying for the MCAT again and will apply again" speech. I'll tell you, that got old real quick.

Yeah, but I'd rather have friends and family know what I'm trying to accomplish and what I'm going through so that I have their support. It's hard enough to do this as it is, let alone doing it solo.

LOL, I know. I went back a week ago to see my little brother in a show, and I was thrilled to just be able to tell people I was going to med school... Everyone's like, where all have you been accepted? When do you hear from Hopkins, etc, etc, etc...

I bet you'll be able to appease them all one day, though.

There are many of people here have spent 10's of thousands of dollars and 4 years of their life to get into medical school who are not getting in. Now they have to go into the job market with a not so useful degree doing something that is far cry from what they wanted. I think they can cry.

You get to go to medical school and become a doctor, yet you still find room to cry. I can only imagine how bad it will be if you don't get that family friendly dermatology residency.

Yeah, but I'd rather have friends and family know what I'm trying to accomplish and what I'm going through so that I have their support. It's hard enough to do this as it is, let alone doing it solo.

Valid point. I'm glad I have people to lean on, but on another hand, it's very analagous to everyone I know asking me what my romatic status is every time I see them...

Yes, Uncle Mike... I'm STILL single. No, Aunt Sandy, no one loves me. Yes, everyone at church, my clock is ticking and I don't have any buns in the oven... LOL!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many of people here have spent 10's of thousands of dollars and 4 years of their life to get into medical school who are not getting in. Now they have to go into the job market with a not so useful degree doing something that is far cry from what they wanted. I think they can cry.

You get to go to medical school and become a doctor, yet you still find room to cry. I can only imagine how bad it will be if you don't get that family friendly dermatology residency.

LOL, everyone complains. Go check out the allo board... they are all in med school, and people still complain.

Just so you know, I've had the kind of childhood they make Lifetime movies about. Feel free to PM me if you want a synopsis. I'm over it. However, today, for now, I'm not over this particular rejection... And it's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.

Also, to "metal," thank you for saying I am allowed to vent. Just so you know, it has helped. I'm feeling much better now. And I am taking a very nice vacation from this craziness before school starts.

And for the record... Ew to a derm residency! Way too cushy for me.

im with dreamer on this. For me venting to my friends doesn;t work b/c all they can say is "at least you have an acceptane" which i am happy about but i expected more or they say "im sure youll get off the waitlist" which i just don't believe. this is the place for venting. this is the place where people can relate, people are facing the same problems. i feel for you doc, there is nothing to say but the situation sucks and im sure youll have far better times ahead of you. and i hope the same is true for me.

p.s. WASH U DONT REJECT ME!!!!!;)

The best thing I wish I had done was not tell anyone I want to become a doctor or that I was applying. I feel like Frodo holding the ring in Two Towers. Where is my Samwise?:scared:

im with dreamer on this. For me venting to my friends doesn;t work b/c all they can say is "at least you have an acceptane" which i am happy about but i expected more or they say "im sure youll get off the waitlist" which i just don't believe. this is the place for venting. this is the place where people can relate, people are facing the same problems. i feel for you doc, there is nothing to say but the situation sucks and im sure youll have far better times ahead of you. and i hope the same is true for me.

p.s. WASH U DONT REJECT ME!!!!!;)

I hope you don't get rejected, too. I was the first one, which stings. But I had a truly horrible interview, so I'm gonna blame it on the meanie interviewer. ;)

one of the nice things about being on 5 waitlists (6 if you can't the one from Wahu U that i feel is imminent) and having one acceptance, when people ask me where i will be next year, my answer is no longer a speech about waiting to hear and making decisions. i simply answer SUNY Downstate. its pretty easy so thats nice

The best thing I wish I had done was not tell anyone I want to become a doctor or that I was applying. I feel like Frodo holding the ring in Two Towers. Where is my Samwise?:scared:

words of wisdom my friend, i wish i didn't tell my parents, now, every fricking relative knows about my app :thumbdown:

This is the hardest part of many things we do.... trying to lose weight, training for a sport event, being pregnant, being in school.... any time people have high expectations for you and you may not always meet them.

I think its important to remember that the individuals supporting you really do want you to achieve and they are not thinking negatively about your struggles as you go through them. They are there to encourage you and help you.

one of the nice things about being on 5 waitlists (6 if you can't the one from Wahu U that i feel is imminent) and having one acceptance, when people ask me where i will be next year, my answer is no longer a speech about waiting to hear and making decisions. i simply answer SUNY Downstate. its pretty easy so thats nice

Now when people ask me, I just say - "I don't know, yet. I'm accepted, but I don't have to decide where I'll go till May 15th. Ask me then."

It seems to work. Except when people ask me about certain schools.

This is the hardest part of many things we do.... trying to lose weight, training for a sport event, being pregnant, being in school.... any time people have high expectations for you and you may not always meet them.

I think its important to remember that the individuals supporting you really do want you to achieve and they are not thinking negatively about your struggles as you go through them. They are there to encourage you and help you.

Aw, I adore you!

I can sympathize with you guys here. Although I haven't gone through the med school application process yet, I faced a very similar situation to you guys when I applied for colleges and dream school after dream school rejected me or put me on perpetual wait lists.

I ended up at my state safety but made the best of it. I'm sure all of you who end up with at least one acceptance will become wonderful doctors and make a difference at the school that you go to. You guys are my guides as I find my way through this process. I hope that all of those who unfortunately don't get in anywhere don't give up the dream. All of us who want to become doctors will do so one day if we try hard enough.

Speaking of wait lists, I'm tempted to call up the Yale admissions office and say that I've been waiting for 3 years and ask if its ok for me to come now :laugh:.

Very few people know I'm applying. I like it that way.
Me too. My friends don't even know I'm premed, and I prefer it that way. I don't want to be associated with stereotypical premeds. Thankfully the people I meet at the interviews all tend to be pretty awesome, normal people.

I agree with both doctordreamer and metalmd... Yes, we should be able to vent about rejections and what better place than a forum of other people going through the same process... On the other hand, we can't expect sympathy from people esp. if you got into medical school on a forum filled with people who haven't...

Now, On whether it's better if people know or don't know you're applying to medical school... The answer to this question really depends on how much information people have on you're plans, meaning do the know you're first choice school or do they just know your applying to medical schools etc and your application statuses at the end of the process... If a lot of people know and you get into one of your top schools then people asking you the question, "How is the application process going," will never get old. And of course, if a lot of people know you're applying and you don't get into medical school then you're going to have a rough time when every starts asking for an update on your medical school status.

The same thing applies if you've already gotten into a medical school but it wasn't your first choice... If people know what you're first choice is, they will undoubtly ask you about that particular school and you must reply with I got rejected, which will be disheartening. But one must remember at the end of the day you are still going to medical school...

There is a resolution though: Tell no body until you hear good news and then tell everyone around you...

I agree with both doctordreamer and metalmd... Yes, we should be able to vent about rejections and what better place than a forum of other people going through the same process... On the other hand, we can't expect sympathy from people esp. if you got into medical school on a forum filled with people who haven't...

Now, On whether it's better if people know or don't know you're applying to medical school... The answer to this question really depends on how much information people have on you're plans, meaning do the know you're first choice school or do they just know your applying to medical schools etc and your application statuses at the end of the process... If a lot of people know and you get into one of your top schools then people asking you the question, "How is the application process going," will never get old. And of course, if a lot of people know you're applying and you don't get into medical school then you're going to have a rough time when every starts asking for an update on your medical school status.

The same thing applies if you've already gotten into a medical school but it wasn't your first choice... If people know what you're first choice is, they will undoubtly ask you about that particular school and you must reply with I got rejected, which will be disheartening. But one must remember at the end of the day you are still going to medical school...

There is a resolution though: Tell no body until you hear good news and then tell everyone around you...

See, my problem lies in the people who automatically know... My premed classmates, my family, and all the people my family tell, lol!

yeah, this process is hell... but i have to say it only sounds like your mom is making the situation worse. does she have some sort of stage-mom-ish need to see you get into a top school? is it ammo for her knitting circle? or is this a personal need of yours that she is trying to support?

if you're a good interviewer, given your stats you'll get into a top school. maybe before that day comes, take some time to think about why you really want to go into medicine and think about how important one magazine's assessment is to your own self-concept.

Valid point. I'm glad I have people to lean on, but on another hand, it's very analagous to everyone I know asking me what my romatic status is every time I see them...

Yes, Uncle Mike... I'm STILL single. No, Aunt Sandy, no one loves me. Yes, everyone at church, my clock is ticking and I don't have any buns in the oven... LOL!

TTIUWOP

yeah, this process is hell... but i have to say it only sounds like your mom is making the situation worse. does she have some sort of stage-mom-ish need to see you get into a top school? is it ammo for her knitting circle? or is this a personal need of yours that she is trying to support?

if you're a good interviewer, given your stats you'll get into a top school. maybe before that day comes, take some time to think about why you really want to go into medicine and think about how important one magazine's assessment is to your own self-concept.

LOL, I'm happy I'm going to be a doctor. BUT, there are several outside circumstances that make me want other schools outside of my state school (not saying I'd choose them, though). Also, those factors are not "status" for the most part.

My mom has seen me fight from the bottom of the pack my entire life, and I think she feels like she may have failed me in a lot of ways (which she has NOT - She's incredible), and so she just wants to see me get a break, what she thinks I've earned.

She'll be okay, just as I will, no matter what happens. But, in the meantime, she's disappointed, and that makes me feel worse.

So, there's nothing wrong with her. She's great.

As far as I go, it's not about a magazine at all (or I would have applied to a lot more top tens). It's about where I'll be happiest for a bunch of reasons I don't want to go into on here.

Regardless, this thread was just a vent that a lot of people seem to symapthize with, so let's just let it be that, and nothing more. We don't need ANOTHER state school vs. top ten school debate thread. We never needed one.

My momhas seen me fight from the bottom of the pack my entire life, and I think she feels like she may have failed me in a lot of ways (which she has NOT - She's incredible), and so she just wants to see me get a break, what she thinks I've earned.

She'll be okay, just as I will, no matter what happens. But, in the meantime, she's disappointed, and that makes me feel worse.

So, there's nothing wrong with her. She's great.

As far as I go, it's not about a magazine at all (or I would have applied to a lot more top tens). It's about where I'll be happiest for a bunch of reasons I don't want to go into on here.

Well, I wish you luck, and I certainly understand the need to get out of state. Keeping my fingers crossed for your Hopkins letter :)

Well, I wish you luck, and I certainly understand the need to get out of state. Keeping my fingers crossed for your Hopkins letter :)

LOL, well, I would much prefer a Hopkins call to a letter. :) Either way, every one of the schools I'm waiting on is fantastic.

I understand completely. It's amazing to have people care enough to ask and want updates, but it's hard to talk about rejections. And this goes for a lot of things in life, not just medical school.

For me, I think I feel like I'm letting them down, and then I have to remind myself that this isn't about the name of the schools OR about anyone other then myself.

Oh, I also think you sound so mature/respectful in your responses in this forum. I think we'd be friends in real life :)

I understand completely. It's amazing to have people care enough to ask and want updates, but it's hard to talk about rejections. And this goes for a lot of things in life, not just medical school.

For me, I think I feel like I'm letting them down, and then I have to remind myself that this isn't about the name of the schools OR about anyone other then myself.

Oh, I also think you sound so mature/respectful in your responses in this forum. I think we'd be friends in real life :)

Thank you, that's very sweet! You'll have to let me know where you end up so we can be friends! By the way, your avatar is beautiful.

It's funny - we get so used to being clueless about where we'll spend the next half decade of our life - I never think about that until I talk to someone outside the process. "You still don't know where you're moving to in August? Geez."

Everyone goes through it - parents will NEVER listen to their kids and just shut their mouths when told to do so. Everyone tells their parents not to tell everyone every detail of their lives so they don't have to constantly explain why they got rejected from 20 schools - but they never listen. I understand they're proud, but when if you warn them . . . come on.

I have friends from high school that didn't get in anywhere and I know just how close I was to that same spot. I know because their loud-mouth parents told mine (which promptly called me at 7am to discuss - like I care) and I feel awful that people are talking about it - give the kid a break and gossip about who's sleeping with whom.

Sorry, /rant.

It's funny - we get so used to being clueless about where we'll spend the next half decade of our life - I never think about that until I talk to someone outside the process. "You still don't know where you're moving to in August? Geez."

Everyone goes through it - parents will NEVER listen to their kids and just shut their mouths when told to do so. Everyone tells their parents not to tell everyone every detail of their lives so they don't have to constantly explain why they got rejected from 20 schools - but they never listen. I understand they're proud, but when if you warn them . . . come on.

I have friends from high school that didn't get in anywhere and I know just how close I was to that same spot. I know because their loud-mouth parents told mine (which promptly called me at 7am to discuss - like I care) and I feel awful that people are talking about it - give the kid a break and gossip about who's sleeping with whom.

Sorry, /rant.

LOL, I love it. Kudos.

I totally get what you are going through...in my experience it just adds extra pressure to what is already a stressful and emotional roller coaster. It is especially difficult when the people around you don't understand the magnitude of what you are doing (i.e. how difficult it is to get into medical school, period).

I'm sorry that you didn't get into a school that you loved, but I hope you get some good news from other schools soon! Good luck!

For me, the worst is having parents who do not care or understand why I want to go to medical school and have no idea about how hard it is or what an accomplishment it is to get in. As soon as I got in to one school, my mom asked when I would be moving out of the condo and didn't seem willing to let me stay in town to keep my job for the summer. (My parents bought a condo in my school's town because my three younger siblings will be going there in the future, and they saw it as a good investment.) That's a major blow to one's confidence when your own parents don't seem to support you.

For me, the worst is having parents who do not care or understand why I want to go to medical school and have no idea about how hard it is or what an accomplishment it is to get in. As soon as I got in to one school, my mom asked when I would be moving out of the condo and didn't seem willing to let me stay in town to keep my job for the summer. (My parents bought a condo in my school's town because my three younger siblings will be going there in the future, and they saw it as a good investment.) That's a major blow to one's confidence when your own parents don't seem to support you.

i'm there, but my parents at least have helped me out with a place to live.

seriously, it's like what parent wouldn't want to brag about their kid being a doctor? all they can talk about is the debt and how they're concerned that i'll never be able to buy a house even though i'm married and my husband is getting a doctorate.:rolleyes:

i think between two doctorates and only one person's debt that we'll be able to "get by".

I started out in this process not telling anybody I was applying besides my family and close friends.... Figured in case I get rejected I dont have to explain it to the whole world.

However, people start to figure it out when you are travelling around for interviews, spending your weekends writing secondary essays and generally being super-stressed.

... I still haven't told anybody at my work that I'm applying (besides my boss, who wrote me a LOR) . I just couldn't bear to answer those questions on a daily basis, especially since this process is so long and gruelling.

I figure when I have good news I can tell everyone.
And if I don't get good news, then I will have less explaining to do.

However, words of wisdom: You absolutely need the support of your friends and family. I didn't want them bugging me about acceptances, but at the same time I needed them to tell me how proud they were every time I got an interview, or to keep pushing me when I felt like nothing was going right. Sure, they can be frustrating but in the end you will need them - don't think that you can do this all on your own.

Your mom sounds surprisingly a lot like my mom. Add to the fact that she talks about kids who "got into medical school who are worse than me". It's frustrating and makes you want to go into solitary confinement from everyone until everything plays out.

Good luck

and may the force be with you

always.

Your mom sounds surprisingly a lot like my mom. Add to the fact that she talks about kids who "got into medical school who are worse than me". It's frustrating and makes you want to go into solitary confinement from everyone until everything plays out.

Good luck

and may the force be with you

always.

My mom is awesome. It's not that she's pressuring me at all, it just makes me sad to see her disappointed.

And the force is...

You've never seen Star Wars? :wow:

Yeah, my friends ask me like every day, but all my friends know I'm applying so I guess I have no excuse. :/

i never seen star wars either. also the godfather. also a few other iconic movies with titles that escape me atm.

/nod

/ponder what it would be like telling everyone I didn't get in the first time and getting the pity support.

/vomit

And now, to answer the most important questions in this thread....

I've seen a *little* Star Wars (Episode 1, and bits of the original three)... But I was saying that the force is with me, not asking what it was. I've definitely known enough boys in my life to get that one.

I have not seen the Godfather, but I've watched "You've Got Mail" numerous times, and it's quoted in that movie. :laugh:

Physics is my strong suit, so for all those wondering, Kaustikos is right... F=m*a.

OP, i know it might be "too late" for this cycle, but my key is not letting people know im even applying. my parents know, my husband knows, a couple friends, my boss, and all the people who wrote me letters (professors etc). thats IT. not my in-laws, not my siblings, etc. most of my friends who are pre-med or medical students, dont even know im applying this cycle, thus, saving me from having to answer questions about where ive been rejected from. it takes so much pressure off that way.