The hell with my TPR textbooks, i'm using my old textbooks for clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else very annoyed with the TPR textbooks? i dont know how kaplan books are, but the TPR books are all black and white, so mundane, and they're definitely patches of text that bore me to death.. i'm gonna set aside one day to go over everything i've done in TPR, look up the topics in my old texts, and read up on them to get a better understanding with colorful diagrams and better wording. and from now on, i'll read the prereadings in the TPR books, go to the class, then the next day go through old textbooks from my classes to further enforce it before i do problems.. my TPR teachers told me to NEVER go back to old texts, but i say "to hell with it", i gotta learn this stuff already, this whole "TPR shoveling info into my brain without me retaining it" isnt working

who else is with me? :mad: here's to turning over a new leaf. I WILL NOT LET THIS TEST DEFEAT ME.. THIS IS ME TAKING CONTROL OF MY DESTINY :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

cee said:
anyone else very annoyed with the TPR textbooks? i dont know how kaplan books are, but the TPR books are all black and white, so mundane, and they're definitely patches of text that bore me to death.. i'm gonna set aside one day to go over everything i've done in TPR, look up the topics in my old texts, and read up on them to get a better understanding with colorful diagrams and better wording. and from now on, i'll read the prereadings in the TPR books, go to the class, then the next day go through old textbooks from my classes to further enforce it before i do problems.. my TPR teachers told me to NEVER go back to old texts, but i say "to hell with it", i gotta learn this stuff already, this whole "TPR shoveling info into my brain without me retaining it" isnt working

who else is with me? :mad: here's to turning over a new leaf. I WILL NOT LET THIS TEST DEFEAT ME.. THIS IS ME TAKING CONTROL OF MY DESTINY :smuggrin:

I started using TPR, but then switched to Kaplan because that way my review isn't interrupted by the passages thrown in the middle...I have found it very helpful so far (Kaplan books have a thorough comprehensive review, summary first, then a full-length practice test on that area). I plan to use TPR once I'm done with the Kaplan book, just to have a second perspective and more practice passages.
When it comes to the physics sections however, I'll probably do what you are planning to do and just study out of my notes, since it'll be easier than trying to make sense of how the material is presented in the MCAT book. Genetics, I'm reviewing out of my notes. Others I'll probably stick to the summaries in TRP or Kaplan, like O-chem and general chem.
I would say, do what works best for you.

i have both books. kaplan sucks, and tpr is a god send to me :p TPR is explains it in a page while kaplan crams it into a single paragraph.. digging facts from one paragraph isnt fun. also TPR is filled with questions and the questions often have very very very helpful pointers.

but yea tpr is slightly mundane and just huge sections of text. to keep my attention span going i just skim very lightly over all the sections.. i just look at the formula a few examples and move on. i finished reading the entire gchem section like that in two hours. i find that notes from old classes are just way too detailed for my taste.

nekrogg said:
but yea tpr is slightly mundane and just huge sections of text. to keep my attention span going i just skim very lightly over all the sections.. i just look at the formula a few examples and move on. i finished reading the entire gchem section like that in two hours. i find that notes from old classes are just way too detailed for my taste.

well, i was just gonna read for concepts in my biology book.. for physics and chem, there isnt much conceptualization.. physics, i'm just gonna memorize the formulas.. i made flashcards, and i dont know if it will help much or not, but based on what i've been doing lately, anything will help.. chem is kind of a mix of math and a mix of conceptualization.. so i'll probably stick with TPR books cuz you dont really need to get too indepth.. same with orgo

Members don't see this ad :)
cee said:
well, i was just gonna read for concepts in my biology book.. for physics and chem, there isnt much conceptualization.. physics, i'm just gonna memorize the formulas.. i made flashcards, and i dont know if it will help much or not, but based on what i've been doing lately, anything will help.. chem is kind of a mix of math and a mix of conceptualization.. so i'll probably stick with TPR books cuz you dont really need to get too indepth.. same with orgo

be sure to look at the examples for physics and chem! the tpr book has lots and lots of them. and they are very helpful

TPR books have alot of info but sure are mundane..and it takes a while to process. I will be going back to my notes and books for physics and g chem.