The "Internet" Pregnancy- How do you cope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

islandCrazy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I honestly want to know how a physician can get around the "internet" pregnancy. There are so many message boards out there that basically discredit anything a patient is told. Most of the time they are completely off or they just don't have enough information to be giving advice. They dismiss claims of certain illness and they warn of Dr. C-section. I personally spoke to a doula and I was amazed at the lack of information that she had, it actually scared me that she was advising women on their birth yet she lacked the education to do that.

So my question is how do you cope when you encounter a women who completely lacks trust in the system?
 
I honestly want to know how a physician can get around the "internet" pregnancy. There are so many message boards out there that basically discredit anything a patient is told. Most of the time they are completely off or they just don't have enough information to be giving advice. They dismiss claims of certain illness and they warn of Dr. C-section. I personally spoke to a doula and I was amazed at the lack of information that she had, it actually scared me that she was advising women on their birth yet she lacked the education to do that.

So my question is how do you cope when you encounter a women who completely lacks trust in the system?


I can't really address your question, but I'd like to make a doula comment.

As a former doula (I'm a premed) you shouldn't be amazed. Doulas are not trained in anything medical- nor are they allowed to give medical advice. If she was having a conversation with you, it was either as a consumer of health care/lay person- or she was overstepping her scope of practice. FWIW, doulas are not licensed or accountable, so technically, they can and do spew anything they want. I sound bitter, but that's because I took my NON MEDICAL support role seriously. I was trained as a support person, and that's what I did. I was also one of the co-founders of a doula association non-profit.
Doula means "servant" but not to everyone. The proper interpretation is servant, not advocate. Some people call it "labor sitting" which is just that. A doula comes to the labor when asked, and stays until the baby is born. Hand holding, wash-cloth refreshing, drink getting, lower back rubbing, .... I got so annoyed at the agenda peddlers, birth politics, and bologna, that I stopped serving and we dismantled our 501C3. I also dropped my certification with one of the well known doula certification groups, and only do doula work for former friends/clients on a volunteer basis. I've noticed a few OB-GYN practices are barring doulas from attending births of their patients. I'm not surprised. There's a lot of kool-aid drinkin' going on at "doula certification training workshops."
 
Last edited:
Doulars is disappearing in mid-eastern of china, but,the desolate place is also present。Nowadays,obstetrician and gynaecologist give some advice for women who want to know anything about their birth.Registered midwives are watching parturient and report the abnormality in the birth processing.
My english is poorer.I am working hard at it.😛
 
I honestly want to know how a physician can get around the "internet" pregnancy. There are so many message boards out there that basically discredit anything a patient is told. Most of the time they are completely off or they just don't have enough information to be giving advice. They dismiss claims of certain illness and they warn of Dr. C-section. I personally spoke to a doula and I was amazed at the lack of information that she had, it actually scared me that she was advising women on their birth yet she lacked the education to do that.

So my question is how do you cope when you encounter a women who completely lacks trust in the system?

You have to remember that the patient is coming to you for advice because of your years of training. All you have to do is give her your opinion on whatever her question is. You have to take a little extra time to explain what you are doing and why, even for routine things. You really should be able to give a good explanation for what you are doing. You can't just tell people who don't trust you what to do. She is free to listen to you if she wants, if she doesn't like what you say she can go somewhere else.
 
Last edited: