The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The cool thing is that these high tech jobs will draw from the tallent pool at mcdonalds and etc. mcdonalds will be forced to pay $20 an hour since everyone would just leave for the high tech jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I think automation will generate inflation and we will see more inflated bubbles such as silicon valley. I'm personally living in an inflated city. Home prices are high compared to the surrounding areas and wages are on par with the national averages.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you open minded? You just have an alternative facts opinion. You think automation will create more jobs than it destroys, which is pretty much the opposite of the entire point of automation. That doesn’t make you open it just makes you have a different outlook than others.

I think it is silly to think automation will create more jobs. Just look at self driving cars. Far more jobs will be destroyed vs. created. You don’t need to have a phd in economic to know that.

I think it is silly to think automation will create more jobs. Just look at self driving cars. Far more jobs will be destroyed vs. created. You don’t need to have a phd in economic to know that.

I would like someone to explain to me how self driving cars will create more jobs.

Yes because everyone predicts when a crash occurs

There's a better chance we are in recession in 2021 then at all time highs. Agree or disagree?

Also if there is this chance of a correction in the next 4 months, why would you be in stocks?

Next time read your response before you post. If you predict a correction, put your money where your mouth is. You are technically agreeing with me that it's better to be in gold right now.

There's a reason why you chart people are always wrong. The unpredictable can't be predicted. I see a new chart every single day predicting what will happen and when that doesn't happen they just move on as if they never said anything.

There's a better chance we are in recession in 2021 then at all time highs. Agree or disagree?
disagree. charts are not about predicting events and so charts don't predict recessions. they predict targets and to a lesser extent the path by which to reach those targets.

Also if there is this chance of a correction in the next 4 months, why would you be in stocks?
you can make money both on the way up and on the way down (SQQQ SPXU SDOW TVIX). or you can buy puts. or you can short. you choose whatever weapon you prefer.

Next time read your response before you post. If you predict a correction, put your money where your mouth is. You are technically agreeing with me that it's better to be in gold right now.
i'll set up a series of screenshots to illustrate my point later. while i have stuff to say about gold, too lazy right now.

There's a reason why you chart people are always wrong. The unpredictable can't be predicted. I see a new chart every single day predicting what will happen and when that doesn't happen they just move on as if they never said anything.
charts are not about predicting events and so charts don't predict recessions. i can see why you're interested though. it's no secret that the global economy is slowing. the data supports it. yield curve inversion, manufacturing numbers, services numbers, quantitative easing around the globe, smaller job gains, rising layoffs, waning oil demand, consumer sentiment, business sentiment, i think i'm boring you. the question few can confidently answer is does this all mean recession is happening soon. the consumer is preventing recession right now because it is the largest variable in the gdp equation and i don't see people holding back on spending even in the face of all these negative headlines. now i'm not the nostradamus you accuse me of being. i'm just a chart master, so take this last bit with a grain of salt -- if the american consumer will not stop spending, it stands to reason that the only thing that will derail the american consumer and flash the recession signal is if you force the consumer to stop spending. and that's why unemployment will be the last shoe to drop. look for a 0.3-0.5 % rise in the monthly unemployment number. with unemployment at a 50-year low, this is easy. when you see this happen, then recession is not only lurking, it's already here.

Attachments

• rec.png
    rec.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
how many people do you know personally that live in this country that have lost jobs directly due to automation? i know zero and when i think of the biggest challenges that face ordinary americans today, job loss due to a robot doesn't come to mind. neither do i see anyone crying about losing their job to Alexa. affordable and accessible healthcare, affordable education, debt, corruption in the white house, social issues on race and identity, immigration, trade -- these are the sources of today's unrest. look no further than this forum to hear all the cries you don't want to hear about people being crippled with student debt. peep a bit further out and people are complaining of high drug prices. step outside the front door of your home and people are marching on the streets calling for the freedom to choose one's own gender, gender equality, police brutality and race equality. we can be cognizant of the damaging prospects to employment that automation can have without sounding the ear-popping decibel-topping fire alarm to an emergency that is not even here yet. and so far i think current society is doing just that.

Just because one is being proactive in solving a problem that will definitely be here, does not mean one will ignore all other problems. I don’t see how your post means anything. You didn’t believe in automation and I just give you a clear example. Now you are talking about whataboutism.

If you want another example, do you know how many financial analyst jobs have been cut due to automation?

disagree. charts are not about predicting events and so charts don't predict recessions. they predict targets and to a lesser extent the path by which to reach those targets.

you can make money both on the way up and on the way down (SQQQ SPXU SDOW TVIX). or you can buy puts. or you can short. you choose whatever weapon you prefer.

i'll set up a series of screenshots to illustrate my point later. while i have stuff to say about gold, too lazy right now.

charts are not about predicting events and so charts don't predict recessions. i can see why you're interested though. it's no secret that the global economy is slowing. the data supports it. yield curve inversion, manufacturing numbers, services numbers, quantitative easing around the globe, smaller job gains, rising layoffs, waning oil demand, consumer sentiment, business sentiment, i think i'm boring you. the question few can confidently answer is does this all mean recession is happening soon. the consumer is preventing recession right now because it is the largest variable in the gdp equation and i don't see people holding back on spending even in the face of all these negative headlines. now i'm not the nostradamus you accuse me of being. i'm just a chart master, so take this last bit with a grain of salt -- if the american consumer will not stop spending, it stands to reason that the only thing that will derail the american consumer and flash the recession signal is if you force the consumer to stop spending. and that's why unemployment will be the last shoe to drop. look for a 0.3-0.5 % rise in the monthly unemployment number. with unemployment at a 50-year low, this is easy. when you see this happen, then recession is not only lurking, it's already here.

How can you list all those things and not think the end is near? Unless we get a trade deal, there is not a single event that will propel us up higher. Your targets are not the reason we move up or down. When Trump became President did we move up because of your target? No. When he cut taxes and saved companies a boat load of money did we move up because of a target? No. The sole reason we are where we are at right now is tax cuts. Without it, we'd be much lower or already in recession.

When it comes to charts I do believe and watch resistance areas but the markets movements have nothing to do with your charts or you would be a billionaire right now. I do believe you understand and probably are an expert in looking at charts but there are a lot of people that are also experts and there is a reason they don't run huge hedge funds.

Because charts are wrong just as often as they are right. We hit targets and break resistance all the time but one bad event and it's right back where we were

You didn't list the most important thing, earnings. Earnings have peaked so unless you think the p/e ratio can continue going higher we are done.

You didn't answer my question, so you are in stocks or not? Oh and you knew what I meant by that.

If you truly believe we will have a correction coming you should be shorting. I actually own an inverse etf to protect until the next correction.

Personally I see 30k as the max we will possibly hit. It's what I was calling in 2018. However I see us continuing to move up and down in this range or a complete bear market.

Last edited:
Just because one is being proactive in solving a problem that will definitely be here, does not mean one will ignore all other problems. I don’t see how your post means anything. You didn’t believe in automation and I just give you a clear example. Now you are talking about whataboutism.

If you want another example, do you know how many financial analyst jobs have been cut due to automation?

no i don't know what that number is so maybe you'll be able to tell me if it's greater than the # of americans strangled by student loan debt, 45 million

Last edited:
How can you list all those things and not think the end is near? Unless we get a trade deal, there is not a single event that will propel us up higher. Your targets are not the reason we move up or down. When Trump became President did we move up because of your target? Yes. When he cut taxes and saved companies a boat load of money did we move up because of a target? Yes. The sole reason we are where we are at right now is because of your charts.

proofread and fixed your own paragraph for you.
the outcome of the election has had little impact in ultimate terms regarding where the market is now. you mention that tax breaks have prevented a recession that would already be here had trump not been elected, but that says nothing about the ability of the Fed to protect and sustain expansions. if trump had not been elected and the economy were to show signs of cracking sooner, the Fed could just as quickly and conveniently ramp up quantitative easing programs to protect markets, growth, and this aged bull market. the market already knew this and where it wanted to go next (higher) before we even knew the outcome of the election in late 2016.

Last edited:
proofread and fixed your own paragraph for you.
the outcome of the election has had little impact in ultimate terms regarding where the market is now. you mention that tax breaks have prevented a recession that would already be here had trump not been elected, but that says nothing about the ability of the Fed to protect and sustain expansions. if trump had not been elected and the economy were to show signs of cracking sooner, the Fed could just as quickly and conveniently ramp up quantitative easing programs to protect markets, growth, and this aged bull market. the market already knew this and where it wanted to go next (higher) before we even knew the outcome of the election in late 2016.

Correct they could but if we are already using QE before a recession, how do we get out? This is going to be the worst recession ever because we are already using or soon will, all of our resources to get out.

You can't possibly think without earnings we'd be here still.

So the last crash had nothing to do with the economy and was solely due to charts? Give me a break.

no i don't know what that number is so maybe you'll be able to tell me if it's greater than the # of americans strangled by student loan debt, 45 million
Jesus, it’s like talking to a rock. You are clueless

Members don't see this ad :)
He has debt up to his neck.
and i'm off the hook for most of it. your tax dollars at work. thanks. a couple of more years and President Warren will be picking your pocket to force you to pay for even more of my student debt.

Last edited:
Jesus, it’s like talking to a rock. You are clueless
move on, you have some serious campaigning to do for yang. he's got a looong way to reach warren and i'm afraid there are scores of other clueless people that'll need some convincing from you. the robots are here to take our jobs (no longer the illegal immigrants). the future is finally here.

Last edited:
and i'm off the hook for most of it. your tax dollars at work. thanks. a couple of more years and you'll be forking over even more to pay off my debt.

Put down the norco bottle.

Reactions: 1 users
Did charts show today happening?

Did charts show today happening?

this entire past month has been entirely predictable since the sp500 has finally fallen out of a rising wedge that began last december. note how it tried to backtest it and recover about a month ago, and failed by simply bumping its head into the bottom floor of the red wedge. i could add more lines and numbers to this chart to show that this was expected, but simplicity usually does it best. that was the best time to be short. im not saying it is straight down from here, but you've had the opportunity to sell into strength multiple times these past few weeks based on this bearish signal. traders late to recognize this setup now have to deal with the possibility that a trade deal or good fed news will cause the market to make a short-term spike upwards in the case that theyre shorting, but overall this is a downtrend even with a trade deal. i have been bearish this past month and aleady have taken partial profits but the name of the game right now is sell on positive news and will further bet against the market on fake moves upwards.
20191008_200340.jpg

Last edited:
this entire past month has been entirely predictable since the sp500 has finally fallen out of a rising wedge that began last december. note how it tried to backtest it and recover about a month ago, and failed by simply bumping its head into the bottom floor of the red wedge. i could add more lines and numbers to this chart to show that this was expected, but simplicity usually does it best. that was the best time to be short. im not saying it is straight down from here, but you've had the opportunity to sell into strength multiple times these past few weeks based on this bearish signal. traders late to recognize this setup now have to deal with the possibility that a trade deal or good fed news will cause the market to make a short-term spike upwards in the case that theyre shorting, but overall this is a downtrend even with a trade deal. i have been bearish this past month and aleady have taken partial profits but the name of the game right now is sell on positive news and will further bet against the market on fake moves upwards.View attachment 282783

Seriously?

We moved down because of the China news.

Give a straight answer. January 1st we will be within 10% of the current level? If not, higher or lower?

Seriously?

we didn't move down because of china news. it was obvious the market had plans to move down today independent of any news coming out of the white house. it's not as if i knew the the white house had plans to announce blacklisting of chinese tech today but i still inversed this market based on chart mechanics.

20191008_204613.jpg

Give a straight answer. January 1st we will be within 10% of the current level? If not, higher or lower?

conflicted here. not sure consultation should be free. give me a PM and i'll name my price

Last edited:
we didn't move down because of china news. it was obvious the market had plans to move down today independent of any news coming out of the white house. it's not as if i knew the the white house had plans to announce blacklisting of chinese tech today but i still inversed this market based on chart mechanics.

View attachment 282787

conflicted here. not sure consultation should be free. give me a PM and i'll name my price

Oh the market planned this huh? So when we move back to that point like we have fifty times now, that was planned too?

I'm not changing my strategy based on someone who thinks a chart tells him which way we are going.

Let me ask you something back in say 2017 people were showing off their charts saying the end is near. Why didn't we drop like their charts said?

You are afraid of being wrong is why you won't post an opinion.

It's pretty obvious at this point the market is waiting for a Trump move. We are going to continue to drop and climb until something concrete happens.

There's a guy who always has articles on marketwatch and he gets torn apart because he always covers himself so either direction we go he is right.

Last edited:
Oh the market planned this huh? So when we move back to that point like we have fifty times now, that was planned too?

I'm not changing my strategy based on someone who thinks a chart tells him which way we are going.

Let me ask you something back in say 2017 people were showing off their charts saying the end is near. Why didn't we drop like their charts said?

You are afraid of being wrong is why you won't post an opinion.

It's pretty obvious at this point the market is waiting for a Trump move. We are going to continue to drop and climb until something concrete happens.

There's a guy who always has articles on marketwatch and he gets torn apart because he always covers himself so either direction we go he is right.

i had not been charting in 2017 and don't know what you are referring to.

the chart i posted earlier is all you need to know to help you navigate the next few months. it is this year's single most important chart event.

don't change your investing strategy (invest a small amount of each paycheck at regular intervals). most chartists are pretend actors. the pharmacists that know me tell me they're also going to start charting and then i regret ever getting into these discussions with them because truthfully, this is not going to be something you are going to learn from a book. it is an art and either you are an artist, or not an artist.

Last edited:
i had not been charting in 2017 and don't know what you are referring to.

the chart i posted earlier is all you need to know to help you navigate the next few months. it is this year's single most important chart event.

don't change your investing strategy (invest a small amount of each paycheck at regular intervals). most chartists are pretend actors. the pharmacists that know me tell me they're also going to start charting and then i regret ever getting into these discussions with them because truthfully, this is not going to be something you are going to learn from a book. it is an art and either you are an artist, or not an artist.

Since you are an expert then, why were they wrong in 2017?

Clearly they just didn't know what they were doing right?

Seriously?

Guess the charts were wrong.

Buy charcoal companies because all the snow storms are going to make people bbq more this winter.

Damn social security tax is going to be taxed up to $137,700 income next year

I have $100k to invest and I would like around 4% return or more so where should I put my money? I am currently investing in bonds and don't care if the rate of return is low such as 4% since I don't spend much and I work full time.

I have $100k to invest and I would like around 4% return or more so where should I put my money? I am currently investing in bonds and don't care if the rate of return is low such as 4% since I don't spend much and I work full time.

If your young and don't need it for another 30 years I would split it between berkshire B and vanguard total stock market fund. Keep slowly investing in those two over your lifetime, about 20% of your earnings each year, and you will retire a multi millionaire.

View attachment 282787

I don't understand how we keep going up if the charts show we should be going down?

Could it be the market reacts to news and has nothing to do with charts?....um yes.

After bad news with China we fall again of course.

You have arrived during a rough time. Over the next 5 years you will probably have a flat return with stocks.

I don't understand how we keep going up if the charts show we should be going down?

Could it be the market reacts to news and has nothing to do with charts?....um yes.

market is still on a downtrend. revisit my chart and compare to the sp500/nasdaq
market indecision will conclude soon and doesn't appear to be related to trade/china (i can show you why)
also, i predicted today's spike via my recent post:

this entire past month has been entirely predictable since the sp500 has finally fallen out of a rising wedge that began last december. note how it tried to backtest it and recover about a month ago, and failed by simply bumping its head into the bottom floor of the red wedge. i could add more lines and numbers to this chart to show that this was expected, but simplicity usually does it best. that was the best time to be short. im not saying it is straight down from here, but you've had the opportunity to sell into strength multiple times these past few weeks based on this bearish signal. traders late to recognize this setup now have to deal with the possibility that a trade deal or good fed news will cause the market to make a short-term spike upwards in the case that theyre shorting, but overall this is a downtrend even with a trade deal. i have been bearish this past month and aleady have taken partial profits but the name of the game right now is sell on positive news and will further bet against the market on fake moves upwards.

and i don't mean to say that a trade deal caused the market spike, just that it happens to coincide with one.

Last edited:
Wowzers, Mit math majors with harvard finance mbas can't predict the market but you guys can? You must be super duper smart.

Invest in low cost etfs steadily over a long period of time and everything will be just fine when you hit retirement age.

Wowzers, Mit math majors with harvard finance mbas can't predict the market but you guys can? You must be super duper smart.

Invest in low cost etfs steadily over a long period of time and everything will be just fine when you hit retirement age.

4 years of MIT math and another few years getting that finance MBA at Harvard, and that's the best they can come up with?

Last edited:
The actual answer is...yes. Low cost indexing beats active management almost every time.
that depends on your time frame. also, that general advice is misleading because it's based on decades of past data comparing the two investing strategies when nowadays, the financial environment is much different in terms of the challenges facing the fed. in the next 5 years those adhering to that guidance of sticking to passive index investing will be in for a lot of pain (i am charting a 50% drop from current levels).

Wait a minute...you are sounding like me!

I guess I learned from the best.

We'll see what this so called truce does though. I can see a good 10 to 20% increase if this gets resolved.

I guess I learned from the best.

We'll see what this so called truce does though. I can see a good 10 to 20% increase if this gets resolved.

put your money where you mouth is and buy buy buy. i expect a progress report from you in 1-2 months

If you started in 2009, maxed your 401k invested into a low cost total market etf, and watched it grow you would be worth around 500k and well on your way to retiring at 59.5.
put your money where you mouth is and buy buy buy. i expect a progress report from you in 1-2 months
Those MIT math wizards say to steadily invest over a long period of time. Sure, you may not retire at 40 but your still going to retire early.

2 charts here, the first being the NASDAQ and the next being that of KB Home.
this one right below is of the last several months of the NASDAQ, and the reason why i say that the moment of indecision is coming to an end is that we are getting absolutely close to the end of the horizontal wedge that has developed this year. in these classic chart scenarios, energy builds and the chart is finally forced to reveal its next true direction, and in this case, i say it will be to the downside and that it will not be due to China/trade. see the next chart as to why. notice that despite this week's market gains, we are still confined to the wedge. also, note that the vicinity of the acute angle next to the vertex includes October - December, where the market will finally be forced to reveal its next true direction.

nasdaq1.png

i then use the chart of KB Home to hint at two clues revealing which direction this market heads first: 1) the hawkishness/dovishness of the Fed and 2) the health of the economy. both are good representations of where our economy and financial conditions are headed next. homebuilders provide an incredible early view as to where the economy is headed because preceding a recession, they are usually the first to fall. note in January 2018, the peak coincides with when fears of aggressive interest rate hikes grew and to no surprise, the Fed proceeded to hike rates more than Wall Street expected in 2018 -- and homebuilders foreshadowed this before everyone else knew it was coming! what's happening now is that this homebuilder is about to retest its 2018 peak and what's more, about to fail! that failure predicts either of 2 scenarios: the fed will not ease as much as expected this coming winter or employment numbers will soon disappoint because both are invariably good predictors of housing strength. either of these scenarios are enough to bring down the NASDAQ in the first chart below the wedge because they have done so historically. note that in both charts, the critical events are on pace to occur within October - December. this past week's market spike has not changed the narrative insofar as the NASDAQ is still confined within its wedge -- no true market direction has been revealed yet. come back in 1-2 months and we'll see where we stand.
kbh.png

2 charts here, the first being the NASDAQ and the next being that of KB Home.
this one right below is of the last several months of the NASDAQ, and the reason why i say that the moment of indecision is coming to an end is that we are getting absolutely close to the end of the horizontal wedge that has developed this year. in these classic chart scenarios, energy builds and the chart is finally forced to reveal its next true direction, and in this case, i say it will be to the downside and that it will not be due to China/trade. see the next chart as to why. notice that despite this week's market gains, we are still confined to the wedge. also, note that the vicinity of the acute angle next to the vertex includes October - December, where the market will finally be forced to reveal its next true direction.

View attachment 283112

i then use the chart of KB Home to hint at two clues revealing which direction this market heads first: 1) the hawkishness/dovishness of the Fed and 2) the health of the economy. both are good representations of where our economy and financial conditions are headed next. homebuilders provide an incredible early view as to where the economy is headed because preceding a recession, they are usually the first to fall. note in January 2018, the peak coincides with when fears of aggressive interest rate hikes grew and to no surprise, the Fed proceeded to hike rates more than Wall Street expected in 2018 -- and homebuilders foreshadowed this before everyone else knew it was coming! what's happening now is that this homebuilder is about to retest its 2018 peak and what's more, about to fail! that failure predicts either of 2 scenarios: the fed will not ease as much as expected this coming winter or employment numbers will soon disappoint because both are invariably good predictors of housing strength. either of these scenarios are enough to bring down the NASDAQ in the first chart below the wedge because they have done so historically. note that in both charts, the critical events are on pace to occur within October - December. this past week's market spike has not changed the narrative insofar as the NASDAQ is still confined within its wedge -- no true market direction has been revealed yet. come back in 1-2 months and we'll see where we stand.View attachment 283113

This is my recommendation to you and it's free since it's so simple.

Listen to what's happening and you will know which way we are going

Your welcome.

This is my recommendation to you and it's free since it's so simple.

Listen to what's happening and you will know which way we are going

Your welcome.

my listening of recent events:
-the best trade deal ever
-Brexit deal optimism
-interest rate cuts
-Fed announced repo (this is QE folks)

result: NO NEW MARKET HIGHS. yet you are saying 10-20% gains incoming. LOL. buy buy buy

Last edited:
https://tenor.com/view/who-da-fook-conor-mcgregor-who-the-****-gif-12856313

Housing inventory down = price up. Where is Wagrxm2000? I want to hear his silly predictions.

Lower mortgage rates are causing an epic housing shortage Lower mortgage rates are causing an epic housing shortage

I'm probably done talking about housing. It's clear to me I'll never invest in it. There's just too much work in my eyes.

If people want to take a risk of having their money stuck in an asset, that's up to them.

I'm actually more interested in this guy or gal who keeps thinking a chart controls the market.

I'm probably done talking about housing. It's clear to me I'll never invest in it. There's just too much work in my eyes.

If people want to take a risk of having their money stuck in an asset, that's up to them.

I'actum ally more interested in this guy or gal who keeps thinking a chart controls the market.

yup, they do, time is running out. you don't have much time left to make for the exits

more and more likely the Fed will ruin the party. more charts popping up pointing towards that

Last edited:

I'm actually more interested in this guy or gal who keeps thinking a chart controls the market.

I only point this out because your fearmongering was baseless. The fools who listened to you are regretting it now.