The "Magic" of the GLUMA Desensitizer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many people on this forum are aware of the GLUMA Desensitizer which is a product of the "Heraues-Kulzer" company. I have been using it for a number of cases in private practice. And no, I am not a sales representative who is promoting the product ! :laugh:

Dentinal hypersensitivy to cold or air appears to be a common complaint. As long as one confirms that it isn't a case of irreversible pulpitis and you won't be placing a class V composite in the cervical area where the agent is often applied, I wouldn't hesitate to use this agent. It takes only about a minute or so to apply but can be immensely relieving for the patient.

Two weeks ago, I had a patient who told me she had had sensitive teeth to cold over many years .She also added that the "Sensodyne" toothpaste was not effective in alleviating her symptoms . None of the dentists she consulted ever brought up the possibility of applying a desensitizing agent. This patient was not a happy camper. :( When I told her I could place an agent which could possibly lessen the sensitivity, she complied with the treatment. I saw her towards the end of last week for some restorative work and when she saw me, her face lite up with a smile. :) She told me that the agent I had applied made such a HUGE difference! And naturally my face lite up too :D

I have told the hygienists, who often suggest Sensodyne for sensitive teeth, that they may also suggest the application of the GLUMA desensitizer in the case where Sensodyne fails to relieve symptoms. I find that very often, when I overhear the conversations between the hygienists and patients in neighboring operatories, the patients will confide to the hygienists regarding their sensitive teeth.The hygienists were not really familiar with the product so I am glad I brought it up.

For more on the features and benefits of the GLUMA desensitizer:

http://www.heraeus-kulzer-us.com/we...31&PHPSESSID=444c19942c9c1199af2f610af3167cda

Directions for use:

http://www.heraeus-kulzer-us.com/we...29&PHPSESSID=444c19942c9c1199af2f610af3167cda

I hope this helps everyone as it has helped me! :) :thumbup:

WHEN TO APPLY GLUMA DESENSITIZER

Under Amalgam Restorations: Place after the tooth has been prepared.
If using a bonding agent under an amalgam restoration apply Gluma Desensitizer after removal of smear layer, usually by applying an acid etchant. This will stop fluid flow and not interfere with primer treatment.

With other bonding systems: Place Gluma Desensitizer after the dentinal smear layer has been removed.
Gluma Desensitizer does not require removal of smear layer in order to desensitize, but most dentin bonding agents require removal in order to achieve a bond.

Under non-resin bonded cast restorations: Apply Gluma Desensitizer prior to application of temporary cement.
Reapply at final seating if needed.

Place after removal of temporary cement and cleaning of tooth prior to placement of permanent cement.

Under resin bonded veneers, inlays, onlays, crowns: Place Gluma Desensitizer after smear layer has been removed, usually by applying an acid etchant. This will stop fluid flow and not interfere with primer treatment.
Gluma Desensitizer does not require smear layer removal in order to desensitize, but most dentin bonding agents require removal in order to achieve a bond.

For cervical sensitivity ( no resin is to be placed over area): For cervical sensitivity ( no resin is to be placed over area):
If cervical sensitivity is a continuous problem, use a complete bonding system such as Gluma (3-step) Bonding System.

After root planning/period treatment: Apply Gluma Desensitizer directly to the treated area with a gentle rubbing motion using a sterile cotton pellet.
NOTE: Clinical trials have shown inconsistent results with desensitizing after root planing. In some cases,multiple applications with mechanical rubbing of Gluma Desensitizer may provide better results.

Members don't see this ad.

How long does this "desensitization" last?

Gluma rocks. I used to paint it all over the emergency patients at my GPR and send them out the door.

I also used it under composites to eliminate post-op sensitivity. It worked from what I saw.

Members don't see this ad :)
flat4 said:
How long does this "desensitization" last?
until the patient calls you, my toof hurts!

lnn2 said:
Thanks for the info! How can you purchase it? Ebay?!

I've had yet ANOTHER patient who gave me the biggest smile this evening when he told me excitedly, how the GLUMA desensitizer has worked for him. :thumbup: :D When I saw him about a week ago, he had cervical abrasions on teeth # 20 and #21. He had experienced years of sensitivity to cold and air on those teeth but NO dentist ever addressed it. (Geez, some dentists REALLY don't listen to the chief complaints of their patients! :rolleyes: ) I told him that he may require some fillings in those regions but a non-invasive and quick alternative would be to apply the desensitizing agent. I told him we could give that a try and if it worked, we wouldn't restore those teeth unless they were sensitive. The patient of course was happy :) because the agent is the cheaper alternative.

Our clinic only deals with Henry Schein Ash Arcona for purchasing materials. I was the one who had ordered it. I don't recall the exact pricing. Hope this link helps!

http://www.hsa.ca/

Smilemaker100 said:
The patient of course was happy :) because the agent is the cheaper alternative.

So how much do you charge in private practice for your gluma application? Thanks...

ehop24 said:
So how much do you charge in private practice for your gluma application? Thanks...

It's not me that charges or sets the cost for the desensitization procedure but the dental association of the area I live in. According to this association it works by unit of time: one unit of time $41 (Cdn).

I agree completely. We use it religously in our office for posterior composites. Great product!!!