This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitcake2511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been dealing with a lot lately, trying to get myself calmed down before college starts back up in a week (Senior I). I may take a few days just to compose myself before sprinting into worrying about yet another standardized test (which have been an nemesis of mine in the past). I'm having severe pre-mcat anxiety. I don't even know where to begin. My general chemistry courses and microbiology course will be this semester, which ends in December. My genetics and organic/biochem courses will be taken in the spring. In order to apply for the upcoming cycle, I was shooting to take my MCAT around the beginning or middle of April 2020.

Any advice on where to begin and what worked for you? I know virtually nothing about the layout of the test, what materials to study, and how to adequately prepare as of right now. My slate is basically clean. I wanted to have a good plan before I jump into studying, taking practice exams, and diving into videos. I figured the earlier the better, as my schedule is incredibly packed with 23 credit hours of schooling, volunteering/shadowing, and my substitute teaching job. I was hoping you guys could help, you always seem to! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Should probably clarify the organic and biochem thing. It's actually sorta complicated. My cc has a 5 credit organic chem class and a hybrid organic chem/biochem class, but not a stand alone biochem class, which is insanely frustrating. Both the organic chem class and the hybrid course are only offered in the Spring so looks like I am in for it lol. Going to see if I can take normal biochem at my 4 year university instead, I'll know more about my actual schedule when registration rolls around in October.

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it more than you know and will certainly look at all the resources you so kindly provided :)

I'm gonna let you know right now that some medical schools clearly want to see that you have 3 credits of biochem and 6-8 credits of Ochem (as in, separate classes). If you're gonna double-dip like that, I'd be very careful and call your potential schools to ask them if they would accept such a course.

At least, I know these requirements exist for MD schools. Not sure about DO/podiatry/dental etc.

Thank you for the heads up. This is something I'm working on currently, awaiting emails back from specific programs. Insanely frustrating how I ran into this problem. I believe my cc offers organic chem I as an 8 week class, and organic chem II as an 8 week class. For some stupid reason, both are offered in the spring and not the fall. I dealt with multiple advisors regarding this issue, everyone told me inaccurate or different information. If need be, I will take both in the spring. Ideally, I want biochem as a completely separate class in the spring (hopefully my home university can take care of that, will know for sure in October). My cc is incredibly annoying to deal with tbh. It took me forever to get this semesters schedule situated. Stress level is through the roof rn, that is for sure.

1. Is your "organic chemistry" merged in one semester?

There are three phases of MCAT preparation:

1. Content Review
2. Practice Questions/Practice tests
3. AAMC official materials as a final diagnostic tool/learning tool/reinforcement tool.

Make a plan that merges these three things. 1/2 can be done together as well.

I recommend starting with a diagnostic exam which will familiarize you with how the MCAT is like and also establish a ROUGH baseline. After this, make a plan that starts with your weaknesses. Figure out a source and lay it out day by day. How long will certain chapters take you?

Since you have so much time - you can really give yourself AMPLE time (even with your busy schedule) to make sure you get a solid content review. Make sure to do SOME practice questions that correspond to what content you did that day/that week. Try to do SOME cars practice each day as well.

I am not sure if this line is allowed and moderators can edit this out if it is not, but my team and I have devised 800 plans for students this year alone and we focus on getting students up to speed with studying and a highly specific schedule for them. We recommend a test date, materials, and what to do when in accordance to your schedule and give you study tips, and more as part of our planning service. If you are able to gather the information from r/mcat and SDN for yourself -certainly try this out first - but if you are still lost -we would be happy to work with you to make you a plan tailored to you for a $90 fee.

Both organic chem I and organic chem II would have to be taken in the spring (8 weeks each). The hybrid course was essentially a back up, but I really do not want to go that route, as I will most likely run into problems. If the 8 week course is not available, I was aiming for Organic Chem I (5 credits), The hybrid course (3 credits I believe) at my cc and Biochem at my 4 yr university. The situation is hella messy atm, usually how my life goes. Thanks so much for the tips on creating a study plan! I am going to try to compile something myself, but you'll be the first to know if I am unsuccessful at that lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have too much to add as the advice that has already been given has been spot on. It's so scary to start, I completely understand that, but once you dive in and just start, those nerves calm down.

The best thing to do is to sit down and make a schedule. @MCATKINGS has laid out the big three things you want to consider when building out your schedule. You have a lot of time to study, so don't feel like you need to rush. Do your research on what material you want to use and then start scheduling it out to ensure that you finish everything before your exam.

One thing you want to definitively get it the AAMC material. I would recommend the entire package, as it will be the most representative out of any material you can find. However, it's not comprehensive and won't cover every topic on the exam. This is where third-party material can help fill the gaps. I would like to offer you to try our free MCAT practice bundle to see if our material fits your learning style! It includes a free practice exam, additional practice questions and the first video from our MCAT course, among other resources, all for free! I have a link to it in my signature!

Whatever material you decide on though, just make sure to make a schedule to complete what you want. Seeing it all laid out in front of you instead of having an abstract formulation of it in your head will help you be organized and also calm your nerves. Good luck with everything and even starting to ask these questions means you're on the right track. If you need any other help at all, please do not hesitate to reach out. Good luck with everything!

Reactions: 1 user
It is comforting to know someone else also believes the advice given below is spot on, you guys rock! Honestly, I'm starting to feel better already. It's easy to get down on yourself in situations as daunting as this. Once I give myself a few days to calm down, I will most definitely try your free MCAT studying bundle!! Let the fun begin

Reactions: 1 users
Starting 3/4ths of the way through content review sounds like phenomenal advice to me. So glad to be getting this information beforehand!

Is the diagnostic something you take before beginning content review? In other words, should that be one of the first things I do?

You could. The problem is, it’s only 4 hours (or less, I forgot) and is a very rough assessment of your abilities. Tbh as everyone has said above, I would put “making a study schedule” one of your top priorities right now. You can fit things in afterwards.

Again, you have a lot of time, don’t blindly rush into things

Sounds like a solid plan to me! I've never been much of a planner, but this definitely seems to be something that needs to be meticulously thought out before jumping directly off the deep end. I feel like I'm just asking to drown at that point. Figured I had to start somewhere, glad I chose this outlet to do so!

I'd start with this thread. The biggest thing you can do BY FAR is to read through the official MCAT book from AAMC and understand exactly what you are aiming for. Then, and only then, should you start with a study plan. I went a little overboard in choosing the materials best suited for me, but I'm glad I did. I considered EVERYTHING available and I mean everything. I eliminated stuff that got people bad scores (consulted sdn and reddit for this) and then looked at whatever I could get my hands on to see how the materials taught information. I am absolutely certain that what I used was the best combination. You should mix and match materials from different sources if you want the best.

I'd suggest you check out this thread.

I'd start with this thread. The biggest thing you can do BY FAR is to read through the official MCAT book from AAMC and understand exactly what you are aiming for. Then, and only then, should you start with a study plan. I went a little overboard in choosing the materials best suited for me, but I'm glad I did. I considered EVERYTHING available and I mean everything. I eliminated stuff that got people bad scores (consulted sdn and reddit for this) and then looked at whatever I could get my hands on to see how the materials taught information. I am absolutely certain that what I used was the best combination. You should mix and match materials from different sources if you want the best.

I'd suggest you check out this thread.

Thanks so much for your insight! Was actually browsing that thread on my lunch break earlier and took screenshots of specific things you mentioned. Loved the layout, everything made sense!