The need for Biochemistry II for the 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BoysWhoCry

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My college offers Biochemistry I and II. Do yours offer the same? Do you think it's necessary to complete both classes before taking the MCAT or is the 1st semester (Biochem I) enough? Thank you 🙂
 
My college offers Biochemistry I and II. Do yours offer the same? Do you think it's necessary to complete both classes before taking the MCAT or is the 1st semester (Biochem I) enough? Thank you 🙂
I would say take both if you have time. Plus, it depends on your school's curriculum. My biochem 1 professor was very slow, so we only covered the first 10 chapters of the Lehninger textbook. If I did not graduate, I would have taken Biochem II. Who does not like biochemistry 😉
 
It depends on what you cover in Biochem I as opposed to Biochem II, as this varies widely by school. You should understand basic protein folding, kinetics, enzyme activity, membranes, etc. as well as metabolism. I suspect that your first semester would focus on the former while the second semester would do metabolism, which is the crux of biochemistry anyway.