The New NBDE, important info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2010tooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for all of you who didnt know how this change will affect everyone of us in on 2012. Unfortunately they are making more difficult for foreign dentists the practice of dentistry in the US. What would be next? Who knows?

The NEW NBDE: (from ultimate guide for foreign trained dentists)

Effective January 2010 the JCNDE will start reporting performance in the NBDE exams as pass or fail only, and possibly administer a new version of this exam that basically combines both parts into one exam that is for the most part composed of clinical cases-specific questions.

There are couple of interesting issues that will arise because of this change, and those are mainly related to international dental graduates (foreign trained dentists). You see up until now we only needed to take part I and use that score to apply to schools that used to look at the score and make their acceptance vs. rejection based on that score and many other criteria. When the new exam is rolled, this will be impossible, since you need to be enrolled in a dental school before being allowed to take the exam, as you can see, the new format can't be used as an admission requirements since you can't even take the exam before being already accepted into school, and because standard scores cannot be reported anymore.

What could make this even more complicated is the fact that with the new format schools may feel obliged to add more biomedical sciences courses to the curriculum of the international programs to make sure their students are adequately prepared to pass the NBDE in its new comprehensive format, this could very well mean longer programs (more than two years), and higher tuition. So, if you are reading this now, and you're still thinking, my advice to you is to go ahead and take part I and secure that important step toward obtaining your license to practice dentistry here.

Update from the newsletter of the JCNDE:

Pass/Fail Scoring

The Joint Commission remains committed to the implementation of pass/fail scoring for Part I and Part II as well as for the Dental Hygiene examination. However, the Joint Commission approved of a delay in the transition from a reporting of numerical scores to a pass/fail reporting system from January 1, 2010 to January 1, 2012. The Joint Commission specified that individuals taking
the examination before January 1, 2012 will retain their numerical scores.
The decision to delay implementation was made to allow key stakeholders more time to prepare for the transition, especially state boards that may need to amend their practice acts.

Members don't see this ad.

This is for all of you who didnt know how this change will affect everyone of us in on 2012. Unfortunately they are making more difficult for foreign dentists the practice of dentistry in the US. What would be next? Who knows?

The NEW NBDE: (from ultimate guide for foreign trained dentists)

Effective January 2010 the JCNDE will start reporting performance in the NBDE exams as pass or fail only, and possibly administer a new version of this exam that basically combines both parts into one exam that is for the most part composed of clinical cases-specific questions.

There are couple of interesting issues that will arise because of this change, and those are mainly related to international dental graduates (foreign trained dentists). You see up until now we only needed to take part I and use that score to apply to schools that used to look at the score and make their acceptance vs. rejection based on that score and many other criteria. When the new exam is rolled, this will be impossible, since you need to be enrolled in a dental school before being allowed to take the exam, as you can see, the new format can't be used as an admission requirements since you can't even take the exam before being already accepted into school, and because standard scores cannot be reported anymore.

What could make this even more complicated is the fact that with the new format schools may feel obliged to add more biomedical sciences courses to the curriculum of the international programs to make sure their students are adequately prepared to pass the NBDE in its new comprehensive format, this could very well mean longer programs (more than two years), and higher tuition. So, if you are reading this now, and you're still thinking, my advice to you is to go ahead and take part I and secure that important step toward obtaining your license to practice dentistry here.

Update from the newsletter of the JCNDE:

Pass/Fail Scoring

The Joint Commission remains committed to the implementation of pass/fail scoring for Part I and Part II as well as for the Dental Hygiene examination. However, the Joint Commission approved of a delay in the transition from a reporting of numerical scores to a pass/fail reporting system from January 1, 2010 to January 1, 2012. The Joint Commission specified that individuals taking
the examination before January 1, 2012 will retain their numerical scores.
The decision to delay implementation was made to allow key stakeholders more time to prepare for the transition, especially state boards that may need to amend their practice acts.

There is a more recent update than this. Also schools wouldn't add biomedical sciences making the international programs longer, since to get into the program you need to pass part 1 already. Also the format is changing not the content.