Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The new GI Bill is confusing and is, from a state perspective, unfair.
Maximum Post-911 GI Bill payment per credit hour for Arkansas students is $167.00, Alabama $243.00, Texas $1,333.00?!!!!
If I go to University of South Alabama, I will have my in-state tuition and fees paid 100%. If I go to Arkansas, I'll still have to take out student loans on account of the fact that I won't have everything covered by the VA. If I go to Texas Tech, I'll have my in AND out of state tuition and fees paid 100%!
This new GI Bill thing is alright, but would be better if more fairly applied. It pays up to the highest state university's undergraduate tuition in the particular state you are enrolled in. Since Texas evidently has at least one state college which charges exorbitant amounts of money for tuition and fees, the GI Bill has to accomodate.
As a side-note, the feds don't know where the money is going to come from to fund this new program. It takes effect August 2009...just in time. Just like every other VA program, especially new programs such as this, it promises to be a clusterbang situation for all involved.
See for yourself at the VA website: http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Tuition_and_fees.htm
Calculate your benefits here: http://www.gibill2008.org/calculator.html
Maximum Post-911 GI Bill payment per credit hour for Arkansas students is $167.00, Alabama $243.00, Texas $1,333.00?!!!!
If I go to University of South Alabama, I will have my in-state tuition and fees paid 100%. If I go to Arkansas, I'll still have to take out student loans on account of the fact that I won't have everything covered by the VA. If I go to Texas Tech, I'll have my in AND out of state tuition and fees paid 100%!
This new GI Bill thing is alright, but would be better if more fairly applied. It pays up to the highest state university's undergraduate tuition in the particular state you are enrolled in. Since Texas evidently has at least one state college which charges exorbitant amounts of money for tuition and fees, the GI Bill has to accomodate.
As a side-note, the feds don't know where the money is going to come from to fund this new program. It takes effect August 2009...just in time. Just like every other VA program, especially new programs such as this, it promises to be a clusterbang situation for all involved.
See for yourself at the VA website: http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Tuition_and_fees.htm
Calculate your benefits here: http://www.gibill2008.org/calculator.html