The Official 03/28/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8mile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Since I'm taking the MCAT on this day, and no one has started a thread for this date yet, I'm starting one.

May the MCAT god be with us!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Fellow end of the month MCATers,

So we have like ten days before the test. And I'm sure some of us are freaking out and worried about the test. But I just want to remind everyone of what an accomplishment it is to even complete the MCAT.

Think about what is asked of us: give up a Saturday (really its like give up three or four of five months of your life) and sit and take a five hour test, that is supposed to include everything you've learned in your prereq classes and some verbal reasoning and some essays, all timed.

Lets face it, most people can't do this. Most people would running away screaming at the mere thought of a test like this.

So the fact that we are here, doing this. And some of us a retakers (me included), we are even more extraordinary. After all we went through the first time, to do it again. A smaller number of people can did this multiple times.

I'm a firm believer that most of getting to medical school is staying determined in the face of people telling you you can't. I also believe that the most harm we can do is to ourselves by saying we aren't good enough.

I just want everyone to realize that regardless of our scores, we are amazing people and we can get there.

Amen to that, NOW LET'S GET OUT THERE AND SHOW THIS TEST WHO'S BOSS!!!!

...I'll post that again on the night of the 27th.

Haha, right on. The encouragement is much needed! :)

By the way, Marjan, I bet your scores will increase. I know I haven't seen them, but it seems like you have put a lot of work into your studying, and the raw scores between tests just can't be compared. Even the curved score is finicky, and I think every practice test increases the odds that it goes up, frustrating as it is. (I was about ready to throw my computer at the wall the 5th time I got the same old score in PS.) Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Today I finally made a decision on my schedule. I'll let myself have a blitzkrieg day of studying tomorrow, but after tomorrow, that's it. Whatever point in Ochem review I get to tomorrow, I'll be happy with it and shut those books for good. My scores are consistently 35+, despite the weird fluctuations (35, 38, 35, 36) and I won't ask for better.

I'll finish my practice tests and just do a few PS passages each day to keep my math straight. Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, right on. The encouragement is much needed! :)

By the way, Marjan, I bet your scores will increase. I know I haven't seen them, but it seems like you have put a lot of work into your studying, and the raw scores between tests just can't be compared. Even the curved score is finicky, and I think every practice test increases the odds that it goes up, frustrating as it is. (I was about ready to throw my computer at the wall the 5th time I got the same old score in PS.) Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Today I finally made a decision on my schedule. I'll let myself have a blitzkrieg day of studying tomorrow, but after tomorrow, that's it. Whatever point in Ochem review I get to tomorrow, I'll be happy with it and shut those books for good. My scores are consistently 35+, despite the weird fluctuations (35, 38, 35, 36) and I won't ask for better.

I'll finish my practice tests and just do a few PS passages each day to keep my math straight. Good luck, everyone!

You're lucky, it's the exact opposite for me. I haven't been able to study much because of school, so spring break will be all MCAT.

marlele, what are you using for ochem? if you can get your hands on the EK ochem book before next week i would recommend going through that, its short and gives a good overall review of what you need to know

Hey Fellow end of the month MCATers,

So we have like ten days before the test. And I'm sure some of us are freaking out and worried about the test. But I just want to remind everyone of what an accomplishment it is to even complete the MCAT.

Think about what is asked of us: give up a Saturday (really its like give up three or four of five months of your life) and sit and take a five hour test, that is supposed to include everything you've learned in your prereq classes and some verbal reasoning and some essays, all timed.

Lets face it, most people can't do this. Most people would running away screaming at the mere thought of a test like this.

So the fact that we are here, doing this. And some of us a retakers (me included), we are even more extraordinary. After all we went through the first time, to do it again. A smaller number of people can did this multiple times.

I'm a firm believer that most of getting to medical school is staying determined in the face of people telling you you can't. I also believe that the most harm we can do is to ourselves by saying we aren't good enough.

I just want everyone to realize that regardless of our scores, we are amazing people and we can get there.

thanks for the encouragement! that totally made my day

This reminds me of my two favorite quotes posted right next to my computer said by Michael Jordan:

"'I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that's precisely why I succeed."

"I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don't do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results."

Oh man, MJ rocks! I spent like 3 hours yesterday watching jordan's highlights on youtube. Also Kobe, but MJ's got CHARACTER!

And I remember that commercial!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc[/YOUTUBE]

Those MJ videos are definitely inspiring...good luck to all of us. We're so close; we've done all the preparation and all we need is that last push. Don't give up. Best of luck everyone.

On a practical note, just did AAMC 7 yesterday. Did pretty well, but from what I hear it's on the easier side of things. Just hoping I can bring up the average on my AAMC tests now that we're a week out. People say that you'll probably get close to what you've been scoring on the AAMCs.

haha, I actually got those quotes from random websites and totally forgot about the Nike commercial where 1 of those quotes came from.

anyways, good to see that your taking much needed study breaks as well, I can only productively study 8 hours in a given day. usually I study from 12-4 then hit up the gym from 4-5:30 for a much needed stress reliever. then back to the books from 7-11.

to owyang, you should view your good score on AAMC 7 as a confidence booster and take pride in the fact that you did well, who cares if it was "easy"? Remember, easy is a subjective term and what is an easier test for you might be harder for others.

since I'm a retaker, I can agree with the people who say your AAMC score most closely reflects the real test. my PS and VR scores on the real test were the exact same as my averages for all 8 AAMCs and my BS dropped 1 point from my AAMC average.

Hey guys,

yea, the days have been intense. I've been lurking on this thread for a while and, I'm honestly intimidated by most of you guys (lol). But nontheless, I'm glad you guys seem to be carrying along in your studies, as i wish for all of us to do well. I just felt like i had to post something in the mist of my studying from going crazy. Anyone else pulling 6-7 hours a day doing science and verbal practice back and forth, back and forth? I can't wait till this is over. I'm planning just to chill on Friday and just do some light studying.

About one more week, fellas.

Anyone feeling like their performance is diminishing?? I was doing great last month with my verbal(11 average and one 12 on EK). Now I'm hitting 10s, one 9 and even got an 8 recently. My timing is off and questions that I use to answer correctly, I now miss!

I don't want to take a break because I feel like I'm gonna be out-of-sync;I like being in the test "mood" before a test.

I'm a retaker so I have a tad bit of anxiety since I don't want to perform worse than before. Actually, I doubt I could do any worse than a 4 like I got before. Possible?:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am studying more like 12 hrs a a day.. eeekk..

How are you spreading out your time? I can barely study past 6-7 hours with any efficiency. During spring break, I went through BR Chem book I and PHysics 1 book under a week. I'm about to finish off the rest this week. I usually miss about 2 every passage, but when i push myself past the 6 hr mark and force in another section, i start missing 4-5 so i just stop and resume the next day. With classes, I'm done around 12pm so i dont start my studying till then. I normally go from 1-4 pm, break for eating and then resume from 6 or 7 till 9 or 10.

I am studying more like 12 hrs a a day.. eeekk..

Anyone feeling like their performance is diminishing?? I was doing great last month with my verbal(11 average and one 12 on EK). Now I'm hitting 10s, one 9 and even got an 8 recently. My timing is off and questions that I use to answer correctly, I now miss!

I don't want to take a break because I feel like I'm gonna be out-of-sync;I like being in the test "mood" before a test.

I'm a retaker so I have a tad bit of anxiety since I don't want to perform worse than before. Actually, I doubt I could do any worse than a 4 like I got before. Possible?:eek:

Thats a good jump if you're consistently scoring near the double digits from a 4. I think you'll be fine, it's only a difference of a few questions, which you can easily tweak when you figure out whats going on. Also, although you may feel anxious about performing better this time around, at least you know what to expect as a retaker. It's first time for me and i feel like anything can happen.

I wish my AAMC averages were a good deal over a 30, like a 35. But I've been scoring 30, 31, 32, 31, 30, exactly in that order, like a bell curve lol. So I'm a little worried, I don't want below a 30 :(

I don't know exactly how to study at this point. I've done a ton of everything, right now I'm just reading over content and I'm going "yup, uh huh, I know that, yup..." like I'm wasting my time. But I'm doing it anyway so I'm not actually wasting time. I have 3 AAMCs to go!

How are you spreading out your time? I can barely study past 6-7 hours with any efficiency. During spring break, I went through BR Chem book I and PHysics 1 book under a week. I'm about to finish off the rest this week. I usually miss about 2 every passage, but when i push myself past the 6 hr mark and force in another section, i start missing 4-5 so i just stop and resume the next day. With classes, I'm done around 12pm so i dont start my studying till then. I normally go from 1-4 pm, break for eating and then resume from 6 or 7 till 9 or 10.

Hi there, well I don't have classes so MCAT is all I have to worry about at this point... pretty much as soon as I wake up, I start doing a practice test everyday. My practice test marks aren't good so that's why im studying like this.. :(

marlele, what are you using for ochem? if you can get your hands on the EK ochem book before next week i would recommend going through that, its short and gives a good overall review of what you need to know

Nice, exactly what I've been using!

Just finished AAMC #10 with a 37 and noticed that I actually got 100% of the Ochem problems right! :eek: Haha, I was excited until I remembered that last night I retook the Organic questions from AAMC 3-6 and averaged like a 60%. :rolleyes: Nothing's changed since then, and with only about 14 Ochem questions per MCAT, I think I'm just demonstrating random statistics. Oh well!

Since we're all probably looking for whatever edge we can get, does anyone have any random techniques or tricks that are helping you out on the practice tests? Here are the ones I swear by:

1. When Verbal passages say "According to the passage...", they mean the answer is right there, in the passage. "Based on the passage.." means you have to infer it. (Someone else's original realization. Can't remember who posted it, but it's held up in every practice test I've taken so far.)

2. Eating something with some serious sugar during the break before the BS section is pretty much necessary and required for me to power through the final stretch without losing focus. (probably helpful to time your sugar crashes so you know how early in the test you can get away with doing this. I did, cause I'm a nerd like that.)

3. Whenever I start reading a VR passage/skimming the questions and realize it's going to be particularly soul-sucking for me (i.e. I see a lot of "Social construct of..." "cognitive elements of perception.." "Freaschian economics of thinking.." type phrases) in order to keep myself focused and reading actively, I picture someone acting it out/presenting it in my head, complete with props and a power point presentation. It sounds beyond stupid, but if you're a visual learner like I am, it might work better than you'd expect. I've been doing consistently better at those social science passages since I started trying that.

Thats a good jump if you're consistently scoring near the double digits from a 4. I think you'll be fine, it's only a difference of a few questions, which you can easily tweak when you figure out whats going on. Also, although you may feel anxious about performing better this time around, at least you know what to expect as a retaker. It's first time for me and i feel like anything can happen.

I was happy with the upgrade of my score but I'm feeling like my luck has run out and my true performance is now showing it's face.
It's funny you mentioned it because I didn't think the real MCAT VR was that hard so I'm not even sure what to expect now.I walked away hoping to score at least an 8 and I ended up worse. So who know how this one will turn out....

May the force be with us all!

Last edited:
marle, very impressive practice scores! was just curious what materials did you use for the PS/BS and the amount of practice problems and/or tests you've completed?

My tip for the verbal is while your reading word for word and sentence for sentence keep trying to relate the sentence you just read with the previous one (i.e. does this new sentence support/contradict the author's main idea?).

Also, if you see a question on the verbal that you have no clue what its talking about or referring to, eliminate any answers that were never directly stated or implied by the passage. Chances are, if you read word for word and very carefully the first time and the answer choices contain information that was never stated/implied by the passage then 99% of the time those won't be the answers.

Hey hope the studying is going well. I have significantly reduced my SDN time so I haven't been around. I hope next week sucks less for you lot than it will for me!
Physio test wed, Immuno test Fri, MCAT sat. Oh well A few more days and it will all be over with I expect.

Full length tomorrow, if I haven't significantly improved I'm going to start planning a retake I expect. :(

I guess I'll add some more tips to what Marele86 was saying. In the verbal, I found that it helps to picture talking to someone. Like in a conversation, you'll pick up details such as tone and attitude; you'll also, have thoughts of your own that creep in and make the readings a bit more interactive. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it is definitely a good point to start at if I get into a passage that I have no idea what they're saying--keeps me from spacing out.

Took AAMC 8 today...got a 34. I'd be happy with that on the real deal, so I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing. To all the rest of us, great job everyone; it's commendable to see how hard we're all working up till the end. Keep it up!

Hey hope the studying is going well. I have significantly reduced my SDN time so I haven't been around. I hope next week sucks less for you lot than it will for me!
Physio test wed, Immuno test Fri, MCAT sat. Oh well A few more days and it will all be over with I expect.

Full length tomorrow, if I haven't significantly improved I'm going to start planning a retake I expect. :(

Oh wow, you got it bad. i have immunology test coming up, but that's the wednesday AFTER the exam lol.. Best of luck. At least you're keeping your mind sharp with other things.

I was happy with the upgrade of my score but I'm feeling like my luck has run out and my true performance is now showing it's face.
It's funny you mentioned it because I didn't think the real MCAT VR was that hard so I'm not even sure what to expect now.I walked away hoping to score at least an 8 and I ended up worse. So who know how this one will turn out....

May the force be with us all!

omg mega, youre really scaring me. Verbal is just something that is too difficult for me to work on. If you were hoping for an 8 and scored lower, say some prayers for me! lol.

I've been getting mixed reviews of my friends who took it about the comparison with AAMC verbal with the MCAT test day verbal. It's a big mix; some say the passages are longer and harder while others say it was relatively the same. I guess it comes down to a bit of luck too on test day to see how brutal the verbal can be.

omg mega, youre really scaring me. Verbal is just something that is too difficult for me to work on. If you were hoping for an 8 and scored lower, say some prayers for me! lol.

I've been getting mixed reviews of my friends who took it about the comparison with AAMC verbal with the MCAT test day verbal. It's a big mix; some say the passages are longer and harder while others say it was relatively the same. I guess it comes down to a bit of luck too on test day to see how brutal the verbal can be.

More like a LOT of luck... I actually felt like my test on 1/31 was a lot shorter and easier than any of my practice tests. and I scored far lower than what I normally did. Curves suck.

I think the problem stems from the illusion the real MCAT creates. The passages are easy to read so people let their natural guard down and don't pay close attention to the questions as a result. This is true even in the PS and BS: I remember doing an easy AAMC PS and was shocked when I scored an 11 while I was tears when I finished a very hard AAMC PS only to score a 13. Never let your guard down!

Also like junkct mentioned, the curve is also strict;an 8 will be 33/40, a 9--> 34/40 etc. So you can see how bad things can get when curve starts that high.

One more thing, Kaplan has a bad habit of making the right answer similar to one or two other answer choices. On AAMC VR, the right answer tend to stand out on my opinion. For example, let's say you were asked a question and the answer choices given were: the boy is missing, the boy was missing, the boy may be missing, and the boy is dead. Using kaplan's reasoning, the right answer will be among the first three choices. And it works well for their tests but for , AAMC, the right answer will be the last one(90% of the time). I made that error quite a few times on AAMC test.
Just something I've noticed from doing both tests.

Wow, I envy your VR score, that's amazing. You can improve PS fairly quickly! BS is more inference skills, which aren't too tough to improve on, especially if you rock VR!

I just took AAMC 9: 32 (13/9/10)

I should have done better on BS, and VR I was 1 away from a 10! That would have rocked, but I'm happy about the PS!

I skipped 8, cause I'm afraid of it, lol. I heard it's super hard.

Wow, I envy your VR score, that's amazing. You can improve PS fairly quickly! BS is more inference skills, which aren't too tough to improve on, especially if you rock VR!

I just took AAMC 9: 32 (13/9/10)

I should have done better on BS, and VR I was 1 away from a 10! That would have rocked, but I'm happy about the PS!

I skipped 8, cause I'm afraid of it, lol. I heard it's super hard.

I just finished 9 and thought 9 was harder than 8 in PS and BS, but scored better in PS and lower in BS . Dialysis machine passage on bio kicked my butt lol.

Oh really? That's awesome, about PS and BS being easier. For some reason, when I hear someone say "PS is tough for this test," it brings back nightmares I had doing Kaplan's physics topicals! I'm doing AAMC 8 on monday, I'll see how it goes!

Oh really? That's awesome, about PS and BS being easier. For some reason, when I hear someone say "PS is tough for this test," it brings back nightmares I had doing Kaplan's physics topicals! I'm doing AAMC 8 on monday, I'll see how it goes!

well i think 9 just had weirder verbal like physics passages

I did think AAMC 8 felt hard, but it ended up being ok. I think they tried to throw some seemingly hard passages (like with compound names that one can't really visualize). But, I think you'll do fine if you remember it's a concept test, so they're not testing on small details. They're testing to see if you know the general/big stuff. Also, some of the VR passages had tough concepts and topics.

Doing AAMC 9 tomorrow...

Man, I'm getting burned out/lazy. I've finished with the kaplan tests for a week or so now, but I still have 2 Physical Science and Biological Science sections tests to take... and gosh, Kaplan PS is so hard, I'm spoiled with AAMC :p

But I guess I'll suck it up and just do it!

Just wrapped up my final EK 14 test. I scored a 10 (32/40). I'm always one point from an 11 it seems recently. I'm glad I'm back to double digits though. My initial downward spiral was starting to freak me out.
5 more days!

marle, very impressive practice scores! was just curious what materials did you use for the PS/BS and the amount of practice problems and/or tests you've completed?

Thanks! I went through EK Physics and Gen Chem twice (over the course of about 3 or 4 months, alternating.) Never did score above a 10 on a real practice test with them, so then I switched to TBR's books and they were my PS savior. Haven't scored below a 12 since I finished all of the TBR passages.

BS, I haven't done anything yet... Last semester, I took Cell Biology, Physiology, Genetics, and OChem I, so studying for finals was pretty much my mcat prep. Went through EK Ochem last week, and I might go through the EK Bio practice tests this week.

For tests, I've done all of the AAMC except 9, which I'm saving for tomorrow, and I've redone a lot of their tests with just specific content like Ochem or Physics.

Does anybody else just want Saturday to be here already?? I'm trying to take it easy and not over-study, but I keep feeling like I should be reviewing things just in case I get a completely random discrete question. I cannot wait for this test to be over!

Amen to that...I just want Saturday to come so I can finally put something in the books officially. But, I'm fully aware that this is time we've been given so we have to use it wisely...don't let you guard down sort of thing.

yeah i thought it was pretty hard, especially the biological and verbal in comparison to other tests

hey all, less than one week till test day! I'm basically retaking all the aamcs (this is my 2nd time mcating it, so i ran out of tests), and i don't care what anyone says.. they sure as heck feel new to me haha.

but anyway, did you all think aamc 8's VR was hard? Idk if i was just tired or something, but my usual pace just crumbled with this one... the passages were just NOT flowing for me.. they felt more convoluted and not as well written.. anyone agree?

Thanks! I went through EK Physics and Gen Chem twice (over the course of about 3 or 4 months, alternating.) Never did score above a 10 on a real practice test with them, so then I switched to TBR's books and they were my PS savior. Haven't scored below a 12 since I finished all of the TBR passages.

BS, I haven't done anything yet... Last semester, I took Cell Biology, Physiology, Genetics, and OChem I, so studying for finals was pretty much my mcat prep. Went through EK Ochem last week, and I might go through the EK Bio practice tests this week.

For tests, I've done all of the AAMC except 9, which I'm saving for tomorrow, and I've redone a lot of their tests with just specific content like Ochem or Physics.

Does anybody else just want Saturday to be here already?? I'm trying to take it easy and not over-study, but I keep feeling like I should be reviewing things just in case I get a completely random discrete question. I cannot wait for this test to be over!

Why did you decide to save AAMC 9 for last?

Also, I'm getting my BR PS books tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can get out of them what you've managed to glean from their pages.

Best of luck this Saturday fellas/ladies.

Yeah...I thought AAMC 8's VR was a bit tough...I thought every other passage in that thing was kinda hard. I noticed in the VR with AAMCs 7,8 and 9 that the passages generally started out easier and then became subsequently harder. Anyone else notice this? Are the AAMCs the actual tests from past years? If so, we might be able to learn something from the order...like if the difficulty order somehow impacts the distribution of the test scores.

Yeah...I thought AAMC 8's VR was a bit tough...I thought every other passage in that thing was kinda hard. I noticed in the VR with AAMCs 7,8 and 9 that the passages generally started out easier and then became subsequently harder. Anyone else notice this? Are the AAMCs the actual tests from past years? If so, we might be able to learn something from the order...like if the difficulty order somehow impacts the distribution of the test scores.

Haha... don't think so much about it. My MCAT was not much like any AAMC I'd taken. But really, it's the practice that counts.

Good luck!!

Hi guys,

does anyone know if Kaplan FL verbal is close to the real thing? so far Ive done kaplan FL 1-9 verbal but feel like they are quite different from AAMC ones. any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Closest verbals are obviously the AAMCs, being these tests were previous MCATs administered in the past. Kaplan VR asks too many detailed questions that force you to reference the passage whereas the AAMCs are more about understanding the passage in its entirety, seldom asking detailed questions. In other words, Kaplan isn't a good predictor of VR for the real test.

so what's the plan for this week everyone?
I'm feeling pretty good right now - just going to review some Kaplan flash cards and stuff this week - light review - and I think I should be good to go.
I'm trying to keep from being too stresed out this week.

Closest verbals are obviously the AAMCs, being these tests were previous MCATs administered in the past. Kaplan VR asks too many detailed questions that force you to reference the passage whereas the AAMCs are more about understanding the passage in its entirety, seldom asking detailed questions. In other words, Kaplan isn't a good predictor of VR for the real test.

hey there,

Thanks! I was going to do kap FL 10 and 11 for practice but i guess I won't do that anymoree.. (perhaps just do more EK passages)

I'm just doing all the extra questions from the 3R-9R tests, retaking the AAMC VR's (scoring between 12-13), and taking gold standard verbals.

so I took AAMC 3 back in 2007 when I really decided I wanted to take the MCAT. I got a 6 on PS then. I just redid it to see how I did on the topics and got a 10. I know it doesn't mean much since it's he second time I have taken it (even if I didn't remember any of it) but it made me feel better and I want to share.

I just took AAMC 8 and got a 34! (11/11/12)

That's nuts, I guessed on a good deal on VR and must have gotten crazy lucky. I'll go over the test tomorrow, do EK 101 test 14, and a Kaplan BS section test.

My plan for the week is after tomorrow is AAMC 10 on Wednesday, and on Thursday, do my last Kaplan BS section test, and go over EVERY AAMC test.

The general rule is to do NOTHING MCAT the day before the test, right?

I also plan on visiting my test center tomorrow... I'm gonna' look like a paranoid freak because I'll be inspecting the SEATS, the headphones, the bathroom facilities, listen in for loud vents or loud computers, of squeaky chairs. It'll be a fun time.

On a random note, in the PS section, do you guys read the passages? I always do, and time gets a little tight for me usually. Should I stop reading them? And just maybe skim it instead? Feels like the right thing to do, but it's so close to test day, I kinda' don't wanna' change up my style. But I hear people finishing PS with 20 min. spare, and I wonder!