The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

are you guys still doing EK 101?

im ready to kill this book

the last two passages on the last two tests SCREWED my score up

Ever since I started doing verbal, I've always had a paper handy, sometimes I'd write things, but I never look back at what I wrote when I answer the questions, frankly I forget the paper is there when I answer questions, though it COULD be helping me with remembering what the passage was about.

Do you guys utilize a scrap piece of paper when you're doing VR?

Ever since I started doing verbal, I've always had a paper handy, sometimes I'd write things, but I never look back at what I wrote when I answer the questions, frankly I forget the paper is there when I answer questions, though it COULD be helping me with remembering what the passage was about.

Do you guys utilize a scrap piece of paper when you're doing VR?

nope, I think people complicate VR. Practice reading and answering q's untimed until you get a good grasp on answering questions, then start timing yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Little too late to go to untiming now. Set it to 9, then 8, keep it at 7 to 8 mins/passage. 3/24 said passages were longer yet questions were easier.

I've been utilizing this method:

Take 10 mins per passage, and guess all "A"s or whatever letter on the one that seems most difficult that I skipped. Chances are that I'll get at least 2 out of 7 right on that last passage, and ensure that I get 5-6/7 on the rest of the passages, and get around a 10 overall.

No I haven't been getting 10s, but that's another issue, I just can't focus when I'm reading verbal.

I've been utilizing this method:

Take 10 mins per passage, and guess all "A"s or whatever letter on the one that seems most difficult that I skipped. Chances are that I'll get at least 2 out of 7 right on that last passage, and ensure that I get 5-6/7 on the rest of the passages, and get around a 10 overall.

No I haven't been getting 10s, but that's another issue, I just can't focus when I'm reading verbal.

This is possibly the dumbest thing I've read to date.

That's TPR's method. They say to do exactly that. I'd suggest if you want to continue? 9 mins/passage, use the extra time to skim and quickly answer....

Yeah I've been doing that, 10 minutes is too long, I end up with about 3-4 minutes on that last passage and get around a 3-4/7 on it.. though I've been inconsistent with my passages, like some I get 5-7/7 and some like 1-2/7 even if I take a full 10 mins or 6 mins on the passage.

Some subjects I just can't concentrate on, so that's why I think I should skip and go back if I have time, to skim and guess.

I mean if you're aiming for a 9 to 11 score, TPR says that you could go all out and take your time on 6 out of the 7 passages, thus getting very few wrong on those, and then doing bad (or possibly good based on how well you guess/skim) on the 7th passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK7: 25/40 :mad::scared:
8/11+6/12+14/23
I know I got some legit wrong on the last part, I was looking it over and was like why did I choose that! ****.

Verbal is so up and down. Took EK 6 got an 11 I wen back and looked at the ones I missed and I had marked 3 answer choices correctly the first time but then changed it. SMH

This thread is getting too tense. Let's all relax a little bit and introduce ourselves.

I'm a Texas resident, graduated from the University of Texas at Austin last May. Took a year off to work with some doctors since I was trying to figure out whether I wanted to do dentistry or medicine. 22 years old, applying this cycle.

(Anyone else want to play this game with me?)

Verbal is killing me. Omg heeeeeeelp.

But yea, the passages in VR are just so boring that I don't know what I'm reading most of the time, or that my mind just start to drift off. I need to focus more on it. Got the timing done, but I feel like I'm not confident with answering the questions on that section. It's like "wow I hope I'm picking the right answer" for each of the question. :/

But yea, the passages in VR are just so boring that I don't know what I'm reading most of the time, or that my mind just start to drift off. I need to focus more on it. Got the timing done, but I feel like I'm not confident with answering the questions on that section. It's like "wow I hope I'm picking the right answer" for each of the question. :/

This is me right here, I saw that the EK passages were easy where I've scored 70-90% on almost all of the 101s because the passages were at least a little bit interesting, then I go to TPR and I'm faced with the most boring passages ever that it's SO tough to concentrate and I've been scoring something like 40-70% on those.

This is me right here, I saw that the EK passages were easy where I've scored 70-90% on almost all of the 101s because the passages were at least a little bit interesting, then I go to TPR and I'm faced with the most boring passages ever that it's SO tough to concentrate and I've been scoring something like 40-70% on those.

I tend to drift off when I'm reading VR passages that deals with politics, art, history, etc. But if it's something that's telling an autobiography, biography, folklores/folktales (notice the username pun hehe), and other interesting poems or fables and the sciences, I tend to become interested. Most of the ones I'm interested in are also just the "refer back to the passage and find the answer" types like "how did the raccoon earn its scratch on its back" etc.

Once the art/history passage about Machiavelli and whether he loves art or despises it, OR the ones that have questions asking what's the meaning of art appears, I tend to just cross my fingers and hope I'm picking the right answer. I tend to become lost in those kinds of passages. I'm an ESL btw.

This thread is getting too tense. Let's all relax a little bit and introduce ourselves.

I'm a Texas resident, graduated from the University of Texas at Austin last May. Took a year off to work with some doctors since I was trying to figure out whether I wanted to do dentistry or medicine. 22 years old, applying this cycle.

New York City Resident. Biochem major. Is getting very discouraged by her verbal score but would like to
apply this cycle.

I second myslef enough times where I second guess my second guess. :/ I learnt to control the drifting off but the timing sucks major BC I keep trying to justify two answers.

I tend to try the "ignorance" technique in the more complicated VR passages. When I'm dealing with a really worded out question that's uber confusing, I tend to look for the most reasonable choice that's not too extreme and sounds in phase with the passage.

Pharmacy student. NY. I can monitor a patient's vancomycin level, dose adjust for renal status, counsel patients on medication, suggest interventions, but I apparently can't do verbal.

Graduated last June with a Biochem BS. 400+ hours clinical experience and around 150 hours ER shadowing. Published in one paper, and does a lot of community service around town. Graduated with 3.66 cGPA and 3.67 sGPA. I'm a Filipino.

Graduated last June with a Biochem BS. 400+ hours clinical experience and around 150 hours ER shadowing. Published in one paper, and does a lot of community service around town. Graduated with 3.66 cGPA and 3.67 sGPA. I'm a Filipino.
Hello fellow Filipino =) I'm on the other coast but I do wanna apply to CA schools if my mcat score permits.

So for me: NY resident, just got my BA in Psych and Bio minor. Just extended my mcat from 4/13 to 4/28 (lol). I'm going back to the Philippines for 3 months on 4/29 (another lol) so I'll be applying from there =)

Biochemistry major, graduated last spring, I have about 6 years of clinical experience (2000+ hours? idk I lost count), not filipino but from working with so many filipino nurses I can say that they tend to be some of the nicest people on earth from my experience. I have a 3.0 GPA so I'm hopefully starting in a biomedical sciences MS this fall as long as I do okay on the MCAT then I'll be applying to DO schools in a year or so -- unless I somehow pull off an imaginary score, then I'd be applying this summer -- not gonna get my hopes up but I'll continue working hard.

Study hard everyone!

also signed up for this test. I'm doing practice exams now. Just wanted to know everyone's progress..

MCAT TPR Practice Test 1
01/28/12 (PS:5 VR:7 BS:9) - 21

MCAT TPR Practice Test 2
03/03/12 (PS:7 VR: 7 BS: 9) - 23

AAMC Test 3
03/10/12 (PS: 9 VR: 9 BS: 11) - 29

MCAT TPR Practice Test 3
03/14/12 ( 7 6 10 ) - 23 -

MCAT AAMC Test 4
03/16/12 (10 9 10) - 29

MCAT AAMC Test 5
03/24/12 ( 10 10 10) - 30

MCAT TPR Practice Test 5
03/28/12 (6 9 11) -26 <-- missed part of the passage with VALUABLE info for physics. .PLUS a brutal PS in general.

should I be worried? I want a 33-35. I guess we will see how the newer AAMCs go. Taking 7 or 8 this weekend.. Also I believe they are more representative of the modern day MCAT. So maybe my AAMC 3-5 scores are not so indicative.

also signed up for this test. I'm doing practice exams now. Just wanted to know everyone's progress..

MCAT TPR Practice Test 1
01/28/12 (PS:5 VR:7 BS:9) - 21

MCAT TPR Practice Test 2
03/03/12 (PS:7 VR: 7 BS: 9) - 23

AAMC Test 3
03/10/12 (PS: 9 VR: 9 BS: 11) - 29

MCAT TPR Practice Test 3
03/14/12 ( 7 6 10 ) - 23 -

MCAT AAMC Test 4
03/16/12 (10 9 10) - 29

MCAT AAMC Test 5
03/24/12 ( 10 10 10) - 30

MCAT TPR Practice Test 5
03/28/12 (6 9 11) -26 <-- missed part of the passage with VALUABLE info for physics. .PLUS a brutal PS in general.

should I be worried? I want a 33-35. I guess we will see how the newer AAMCs go. Taking 7 or 8 this weekend.. Also I believe they are more representative of the modern day MCAT. So maybe my AAMC 3-5 scores are not so indicative.

i took TPR 4 recently

10 11 11

i haven't taken AAMC 3 yet planning to do that today...had to review ochem methods and pI

Hello,

I have been reading the thread for couple week now, i just never got around to making an ID and all that (even tho it took me about 1 min to do it). But anyways, biology major, graduated last May, taking time off working. Full time job+ studying = no fun/life/energy etc....you know what i mean.

Long story short, verbal hates my life. How are you guys reviewing it after taking the exams? I don't have issue just taking them as a practice but I just don't know how to review/improve on it. Are you guys reviewing what you missed or just practicing one after another since we have a month left. Ekkk.

Hello,

I have been reading the thread for couple week now, i just never got around to making an ID and all that (even tho it took me about 1 min to do it). But anyways, biology major, graduated last May, taking time off working. Full time job+ studying = no fun/life/energy etc....you know what i mean.

Long story short, verbal hates my life. How are you guys reviewing it after taking the exams? I don't have issue just taking them as a practice but I just don't know how to review/improve on it. Are you guys reviewing what you missed or just practicing one after another since we have a month left. Ekkk.
I always review every answer, whether right or wrong (in case i guessed right, i still wanna know WHY that was the right answer). I think we have to understand why certain answers we thought were right, were actually wrong. Stuff like that. So far my verbal scores are not improving too (although not horrible!) so maybe I'm also not doing something right... Hmm..

The thing with reviewing verbal is the answers are passage specific rather than concept specific. So unless you can make connections like "oh I misse this because I misinterpreted the main idea of the passage" or "missed it because I wasn't able to determine the authors opinion" make sure you ask yourself these questions as you read too.

what FL is everyone on? and how are you guys doing so far?

I've got school exams coming up but I'm gonna do AAMC 4 and 5 this weekend. I'm also strongly contemplating moving my exam to august and just applying next year so I can work on my gpa and EC's as well...but we'll see :)

I've just realized it's 03/28 today. Exactly one more month and we'll all face the Judgement Day ! I'm struggling with my schedule now.

CA resident. Graduated last June. I'm working full-time right now while studying for this beast. I'm quite an average applicant but apply this coming cycle anyway to see how things turn out. Hopefully we'll all meet one another at interview or maybe revisit :D

what FL is everyone on? and how are you guys doing so far?

Took my third one (in three days - bad idea, I don't recommend it). I wanted to see where I stood at before I started Ochem. I got 14/11/10. Only reason I got a 10 on BS was because I got 3 Ochem questions right (random guessing) so it was just luck. Anyone have any book ideas to learn OChem in a week? :D

Took my third one (in three days - bad idea, I don't recommend it). I wanted to see where I stood at before I started Ochem. I got 14/11/10. Only reason I got a 10 on BS was because I got 3 Ochem questions right (random guessing) so it was just luck. Anyone have any book ideas to learn OChem in a week? :D

Planning on finish all of Ochem this week. Using TPR for it, and Lab techniques from the TBR. Practice passages from TPR Workbook.

I am really contemplating moving my test as well. I have yet to go through Electric Field and Optics. I am going to wait until April 14th to see where I stand though. Good luck everyone!!

Planning on finish all of Ochem this week. Using TPR for it, and Lab techniques from the TBR. Practice passages from TPR Workbook.

I am really contemplating moving my test as well. I have yet to go through Electric Field and Optics. I am going to wait until April 14th to see where I stand though. Good luck everyone!!

I considered it too, but I know for a fact that I'll burn out if I postpone it. So sick of doing practice passages. There's no way I'm going to improve my score by studying an additional week of Ochem. And I'm also a Texas resident, meaning my applications open up on May 1st. I want to have mine submitted by May 15th and if I'm cramming for the MCAT, I won't be able to :(

Pharmacy student. NY. I can monitor a patient's vancomycin level, dose adjust for renal status, counsel patients on medication, suggest interventions, but I apparently can't do verbal.

Adjusting dose and counseling points can be easily looked up. Such as, renal impairment (adult and pediatrics): 15mg/kg as initial dose then optimal dose and interval based on serum drug concentration. Inform pt that this drug may cause nausea and vomiting.

VR, on the other hand, requires REASONING. :smuggrin:

Last edited:
OMG guys!! This might seem dumb to you, since you're all scoring in the high 20s/low 30s, but keep in mind that I scored below 20s on my last 2 tries on the MCAT, and I scored 16 (P6, B6, V4) on AAMC 3 last week.

I just finished AAMC 4, and *drumroll* I scored:

P9, B7, V8 = 24

Now of course 24 is not a good score, but an improvement like that is fantastic to me, since this past week I've studied my ass off twice as usual and reviewed like crazy. I'm feeling so good right now, motivated, and more confident than anytime since I started studying January.

I'll be taking AAMC 5 this coming Monday, so hopefully I can make a jump, even a small one, from this score.

Hard work pays off, keep at it everyone!! :D

OMG guys!! This might seem dumb to you, since you're all scoring in the high 20s/low 30s, but keep in mind that I scored below 20s on my last 2 tries on the MCAT, and I scored 16 (P6, B6, V4) on AAMC 3 last week.

P9, B7, V8 = 24

Now of course 24 is not a good score, but an improvement like that is fantastic to me, since this past week I've studied my ass off twice as usual and reviewed like crazy. I'm feeling so good right now, motivated, and more confident than anytime since I started studying January.

I'll be taking AAMC 5 this coming Monday, so hopefully I can make a jump, even a small one, from this score.

That's the spirit! I'm on the same boat too so don't fret! We can all do this! =) 31 days to go!

P9, B7, V8 = 24

We need more people like you on SDN. So sick of people on this site always complaining. If you don't like your score, be positive and work hard! If you don't succeed, suck it up and try again!

I have three midterms in two days (tomorrow's my last one). I feel like I slacked off the last three days because I haven't had any time for MCAT stuff. And I haven't done a FL this past weekend because of schoolwork. Ugh life is getting to me :(

But doctoor, I admire your motivation.

Adjusting dose and counseling points can be easily looked up. Such as, renal impairment (adult and pediatrics): 15mg/kg as initial dose then optimal dose and interval based on serum drug concentration. Inform pt that this drug may cause nausea and vomiting.
:confused:
If only you knew about inpatients.
CrCl dosing, monitoring albumin especially for drugs like Phenytoin ain't easy, man.
Recommendations have to be really precise as well.

:confused:
If only you knew about inpatients.
CrCl dosing, monitoring albumin especially for drugs like Phenytoin ain't easy, man.
Recommendations have to be really precise as well.

Perhaps you haven't heard of Micromedex.

Lol, I'll just let this slide for now. If you honestly think I'm just looking at micromedex or textbooks on rotations then you're entitled to do such.

On the other hand, good news; finished Physics review (except magnetism...tomorrow skim fast), Gen Chem, Orgo. Gonna do some Free Q's tonight, maybe a psg or two. Got okay in Verbal, finishing EK8 tomorrow.

Perhaps you haven't heard of Micromedex.

Why so mean? This is Student Doctor Network, implying a place of collaboration (and sometimes commiseration). There's no need for nasty, condescending comments when everyone is stressing out about the same thing. Give the guy a break already. We can't all be natural MCAT experts...:rolleyes:

So I am reviewing my verbal and it is taking foooorever. Some are only couple days but since I still have to re-read the whole passage to review. :confused:

When do you guys go over/review for Verbal? right after you take it? couple hours in between? couple days?

So I am reviewing my verbal and it is taking foooorever. Some are only couple days but since I still have to re-read the whole passage to review. :confused:

When do you guys go over/review for Verbal? right after you take it? couple hours in between? couple days?

Right after. The whole idea behind "reviewing the next day" is to put it into long term memory. After a practice test, you'll be like "oh, I knew that" and move on. For verbal though, there's no point doing it the next day. I tried it, and found myself wasting time.