The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

Started by impact2d
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

impact2d

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just talking to my mom and I was like "I feel like I'm going to puke and/or die" and she was all "Don't worry about it, you're just going to get yourself all worked up", and I was like "THAT IS BS MOM IF YOU WERE GETTING THIS SCORE BACK TODAY YOU WOULD BE FREAKING OUT" and she was like "...Yeah, you're totally right."

Then she told me about how long she had to wait to get her GRE score in the mail in 1969. Thank god for the internet.

🙂 I liked that-ok yes now I cry 🙁
 
I was just talking to my mom and I was like "I feel like I'm going to puke and/or die" and she was all "Don't worry about it, you're just going to get yourself all worked up", and I was like "THAT IS BS MOM IF YOU WERE GETTING THIS SCORE BACK TODAY YOU WOULD BE FREAKING OUT" and she was like "...Yeah, you're totally right."

Then she told me about how long she had to wait to get her GRE score in the mail in 1969. Thank god for the internet.

He probably waiting just as long as us...*skeptical face* why oh why?!?!
 
We engineers have to wait about 2 months for the engineering licensure exam results and if you take the fall exam, results are out a week before Christmas. Just in case anybody is curious, its a bit harder than the mcat but you have eight hours and its open book 🙂...sometimes thats more of a curse
 
trying to refresh about every 15 mins at work. If they're not up by 3, I'm refreshing every minute until this supposed average of 3:11 PM. I'm being horribly inefficient today at work... Nervous as hell.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know....you cant even legally call yourself an engineer unless you pass the PE exam in your field....hopefully the med schools give me a plus for having my engineering license 🙂....anyways back to biting my nails!
 
Interestingly enough I didn't really think about the MCAT except for a few fleeting thoughts here or there. The month went fast, I'm not sure if I bombed or did well, felt like anywhere from a 26 to 34, but what's done is done. I'm prepared mentally for either outcome, but I would obviously prefer 30+ lol

Honestly even today is flying because I'm thinking about getting ready to leave on vacation tommorrow lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile
 
Interestingly enough I didn't really think about the MCAT except for a few fleeting thoughts here or there. The month went fast, I'm not sure if I bombed or did well, felt like anywhere from a 26 to 34, but what's done is done. I'm prepared mentally for either outcome, but I would obviously prefer 30+ lol


Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

My sentiments exactly. All of it.
 
When we get our scores we should do
Months studied:
AAMC Average:
Predicted:
Actual:

It helps future takers

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

My willingness to do this as soon as I get my score depends on what the score is. I may start drinking to ease the pain if the score is undesirable!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Took a Vicodin I had left over from surgery to ease the pain, now I'm smoking a padron 3000 on my balcony with my iPad. Let's do this!

Best wishes to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can't believe it's already almost time!!

I am alternating between extremes now -- super-nervous because I'd like to do well, but ridiculously calm too (whatever happens, happens; just a test score, I could always retake... maybe it wasn't meant to be; etc.).

Good luck all!