The official 08/06/2009 MCAT CLUB!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mellymel09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just noticed that there is no official club for the August 6th MCAT'ers so I've decided to create one! I hope that everyone's studying is coming along great. I'm actually re-doing my MCAT for the second time around (I wrote it last summer for the first time and sadly didn't do as well as I'd hoped). I plan on dedicating this month to content review and then hopefully spending the last two months prior to my exam on practice exams/problems. Has anyone here ever taken the test more than once? If so, did you improve and how did you re-study strategically? Also, by how many points can one expect to realistically improve???

Members don't see this ad.

Yesterday I put al my study materials away out of sight. I used EK and then the Kaplan online course. So I went through 2 sets of review books, I had about 5 notebooks of notes I took on this stuff. Then the last 2 months I focues on practice tests. If I were to retake the test, I think I would be able to just pick up and do practice tests, no more studying materials. But I really think there is no adequate way to prepare, except maybe to do practice tests for a year, but I only trust the AAMC tests and they run out.

I found Kaplan tests to be much harder/involve more annoying calcuations. The actual MCAT is a combination of easy (so long as you are relaxed and working fast you can figure stuff out), and then memorization.

I felt at a certain point that my brain reached its limit on what I could learn/retain.

I guess I am frustrated because, not for lack of intelligence or trying, but I cant seem to break 30, and 30 would be an awesome score for me. Then you have people who consistently score 37s and I don't know how they do it.

What is the secret???

Pre-meds are compulsive liars...i dont know what is about students who are trying to get into medical school but EVERYONE inflates their ego.

Take what you read on here with a grain of salt and seriously worry about what YOU are doing.

Yesterday I put al my study materials away out of sight. I used EK and then the Kaplan online course. So I went through 2 sets of review books, I had about 5 notebooks of notes I took on this stuff. Then the last 2 months I focues on practice tests. If I were to retake the test, I think I would be able to just pick up and do practice tests, no more studying materials. But I really think there is no adequate way to prepare, except maybe to do practice tests for a year, but I only trust the AAMC tests and they run out.

I found Kaplan tests to be much harder/involve more annoying calcuations. The actual MCAT is a combination of easy (so long as you are relaxed and working fast you can figure stuff out), and then memorization.

I felt at a certain point that my brain reached its limit on what I could learn/retain.

I guess I am frustrated because, not for lack of intelligence or trying, but I cant seem to break 30, and 30 would be an awesome score for me. Then you have people who consistently score 37s and I don't know how they do it.

What is the secret???

I share your frustration. I'm a non-trad with a 4.0 science GPA since returning to school, and yet I'm also having a tough time with the MCAT. Aug. 6 was my third (ouch) time taking it. I literally only needed to raise my score one more point on this attempt (am waitlisted right now at my top choice), but I am now worried maybe I didn't make it happen.

As I was taking the test, I finished the PS section pumped about how manageable it was compared to the last MCAT (ran out of time leaving 6 blank :confused:) and also felt positive about VR as I was going through. The essays were, well - the essays... and BS was really hard as expected. I left the test thinking I probably had a 10/11/8, but now I worry it's going to be more like a 8/9/6.

I just get so frustrated because I have literally been told by more than one med school that my MCAT is the only thing keeping me back. They say it doesn't determine your future, but actually, depending on your situation, it most certainly can.

For now I am trying to stay positive and keep myself busy with secondaries. Today is just a rough day because it's the first day for most of the med schools in this state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I'm writing up a big poster that says "I have a 30+ MCAT score coming on Sept. 8th" and putting it by my computer. I figure if I say it every day, maybe I can will it to be true! haha (The Secret, anyone?)

Best of luck to all!

My thoughts exactly!!! Keep the dream alive!

hey test day comrades! hope everyone is hanging in there one week post-mcat!!

i feel like i have calmed down a bit since i first took the exam, i guess i'm glad it is over and HOPE everything turns out ok.

on the upside, my amcas was verified today..yayyy. so now maybe i can start getting some secondaries to work on while i wait for my MCAT scores.

Hello my comrades in suffering :)This is my first post (I think) after being a silent observer for waaaaay too long.

After the MCAT I flew back home to my lil island haven and even one week later I am still suffering from post-traumatic stress.:eek:

For example, today in the shower i looked down and realized that the tiles are shaped like benzene rings:laugh: (I've lived in this house forever and never thought of them as anything but tiles) Benzene rings...wtf???:cool: Anyway this led to me thinking of the test and how I didn't know what lactones were...and well me obsessing over this thing again. :scared:

Just thought I would share. I figured that it was suitable for my first overshare on here. :cool:

Hello all,

This is also my first post, I wish I would have found this thread while preparing. Here are my thoughts on the test,

PS: My nerves got to me in the beginning (which was probably the easiest passage) and I found myself very frustrated with thoughts you don't want when starting the MCAT, so I decided to not waste anymore time on it and come back to it as I usually had time to on practice exams in PS....didn't finish with very much time left and so I am sure I got very simple questions wrong :mad: I felt pretty comfortable on the gen chem though for the most part, although everything took me much longer.

VR: My worst section usually. I didn't think it was awful although some passages were definitely difficult. Also, like someone previously mentioned, there was 1 question on my first passage I believe that had nothing to do with the passage at all! It asked about the mystic's views (??)

WS: I only did two practice essays while preparing, so I was worried that I wasn't going to think of good examples quickly. Overall, fine.

BS: More orgo than I expected, but I was happy to see a lot of molecular bio. Had to look up lactone ring (?) after.

I really don't know what to think. I am not going to guess any scores and just hope for the best. I think it could go either way, but I hope I never have to do this again! It's going to be tough waiting...

VR: My worst section usually. I didn't think it was awful although some passages were definitely difficult. Also, like someone previously mentioned, there was 1 question on my first passage I believe that had nothing to do with the passage at all! It asked about the mystic's views (??)

I wrote to AAMC asking about the validity of that question, and they wrote me back and said it was fine as-is. From what it seems, there was a brief mention (like 1 word) in the passage that tied into that question. I still swear it was from out of no where. Oh well.

I wrote to AAMC asking about the validity of that question, and they wrote me back and said it was fine as-is. From what it seems, there was a brief mention (like 1 word) in the passage that tied into that question. I still swear it was from out of no where. Oh well.

I know which question you are talking about. I remember the question. The question WAS related to the passage. The answer was word for word in the passage. How do I know? Because I was an idiot and spent 12 minutes each on the first 2 passages. It was more of a detail question than anything.

Just as a side note, I laugh when I hear people have 4.0 GPAs but can't even score above a 12 on the science sections on the MCAT. Since the MCAT is a standardized test, this means:

1. your school is really easy
2. your program is really easy
3. your courses are realllllllllly easy

no offense, but the MCAT sciences only covers the basics of the sciences and doesn't go super in-depth as the courses in your schools do. If you don't know what a "lactone" was on the test, then you either:

1. didn't study enough for the test
2. your course was shoddy and wasn't in-depth enough to teach you what it was

Just my opinion.

... and here comes the crucifix...

Well, I'm not here to argue with anyone, but what you are saying is completely invalid. Just because I didn't know what a lactone ring was, it doesn't mean my courses or University are at all inadequate, or that I didn't study enough for the exam. I attend a rather prestegious university, in my opinion and the opinions of many others, and have a very solid GPA in a very demanding program. In all the practice exams I took, I don't recall the term lactone ring coming up; thus, it was not something that I ever felt an urgent to go back and look up. This doesn't mean that from previous knowledge I couldn't make an educated guess or that I even answered the question incorrectly. I'm not sure why you felt that comment was necessary.

Well, I'm not here to argue with anyone, but what you are saying is completely invalid. Just because I didn't know what a lactone ring was, it doesn't mean my courses or University are at all inadequate, or that I didn't study enough for the exam. I attend a rather prestegious university, in my opinion and the opinions of many others, and have a very solid GPA in a very demanding program. In all the practice exams I took, I don't recall the term lactone ring coming up; thus, it was not something that I ever felt an urgent to go back and look up. This doesn't mean that from previous knowledge I couldn't make an educated guess or that I even answered the question incorrectly. I'm not sure why you felt that comment was necessary.

sorry. my statement was very general and stereotype-based. Obviously there are exceptions and you are one of the proofs.

But this is not to deny that there ARE a lot of people out there with 4.0 GPAs who have no idea what they're doing...

standardized testing is in a totally different environment then when one takes an exam on specific amount of material presented by their professor in undergrad. In undergrad "bright" students are sometimes notorious for being the best "crammers" or people who can memorize a good amount of information. I've been through undergrad (obviously) and I just graduated from Drexel's Biomedical science program where I took graduate level and first year medical school level courses and I have to admit when reflecting back to undergrad I cant believe how easy it was compared to what I did at Drexel. I keep kicking myself for how much easier it was and why I wasn't focused more back then.

Regardless, with that point I kind of agree with supersaiyan that there are students out there who do this technique and in the end they really don't learn anything. They are just master crammers. Cramming can only take you so far. The amount of material you deal with in undergrad is far inferior to medical school courses. You actually have to learn the material and if you try and cram then you are so screwed because there is just too much information to slam into your brain. Especially if you have several different exams in a 4 day period or within a "block" (as it is referred sometimes in med school).

But then I am going to disagree with supersaiyan in that I feel the MCAT brings an element of critical thinking which is unparallel to any kind of exam an undergrad student would have taken during college. No professors would format their questions to be like the AAMC's. Professors are only concerned that their students have mastered the amount of material presented at different times in the semester. I am not saying their isnt a moderate level of critical thinking that needs to be used to answer questions on a regular college exam but it's "just not like the AAMC". Hence why students get a little shellshocked when they first introduced to the MCAT and how to prepare for it. It takes awhile before you get into the MCAT way of thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
standardized testing is in a totally different environment then when one takes an exam on specific amount of material presented by their professor in undergrad. In undergrad "bright" students are sometimes notorious for being the best "crammers" or people who can memorize a good amount of information. I've been through undergrad (obviously) and I just graduated from Drexel's Biomedical science program where I took graduate level and first year medical school level courses and I have to admit when reflecting back to undergrad I cant believe how easy it was compared to what I did at Drexel. I keep kicking myself for how much easier it was and why I wasn't focused more back then.

This is exactly what I meant. In my program, I met so many people who were not very bright at all and did rarely any work, yet succeeded by simply cramming.

As a sidenote- I had a dream about getting my MCAT score last night. At first I got a 36R but while I kept glancing at the sheet, the number started to get lower and lower. I dropped down to a 33O and then the individual section scores started dropping below 10.

Suffice it to say, that was a strange dream. I hate waiting for test results!

I think the breakdown of the 36 was PS:11, VR:12 and BS:13 ...i wonder if there is any truth to that ;)

hey test day comrades! hope everyone is hanging in there one week post-mcat!!

i feel like i have calmed down a bit since i first took the exam, i guess i'm glad it is over and HOPE everything turns out ok.

on the upside, my amcas was verified today..yayyy. so now maybe i can start getting some secondaries to work on while i wait for my MCAT scores.

good for you, and good luck with those secondaries!

even almost 2 weeks post exam, and a four day trip to new york city, i'm still feeling anxious!

did anyone sign up for a sept. 12 exam? after reading some horror stories of people here not being able to find a seat at a testing center near them, i'm really grateful that i was able to find one in boston on the 12th. but here's to hoping i paid $225 for nothing :thumbup:

As a sidenote- I had a dream about getting my MCAT score last night. At first I got a 36R but while I kept glancing at the sheet, the number started to get lower and lower. I dropped down to a 33O and then the individual section scores started dropping below 10.

Suffice it to say, that was a strange dream. I hate waiting for test results!

I think the breakdown of the 36 was PS:11, VR:12 and BS:13 ...i wonder if there is any truth to that ;)

Hahaha I can TOTALLY relate to weird/twisted dreams due to the MCAT!!!! For the longest time prior to the exam and after as well, I kept doing mad problems that were like puzzles that couldn't be solved and I'd be at it all throughout my dream and through the night!!!

It's hard to believe that almost 2 weeks have gone by!!!!

Hope everyone on this thread has been taking it easy lately and has taken the time to re-acquainte with the real world and life in general... haha I felt like I was in my own MCAT little bubble for the quite some time!:p

Hahaha I can TOTALLY relate to weird/twisted dreams due to the MCAT!!!! For the longest time prior to the exam and after as well, I kept doing mad problems that were like puzzles that couldn't be solved and I'd be at it all throughout my dream and through the night!!!

It's hard to believe that almost 2 weeks have gone by!!!!

Hope everyone on this thread has been taking it easy lately and has taken the time to re-acquainte with the real world and life in general... haha I felt like I was in my own MCAT little bubble for the quite some time!:p

haha dope screename :thumbup:
an underrated mc

I've been reading the other official MCAT threads and they all had at least one section which was extremely hard compared to the other sections on their MCAT.

I am just trying to remember...which section do you all think was the hardest on our exam on 8/6/09? I felt like physical science was only a little harder then Bio and VR. In general I dont think any of the sections were extremely impossible which made our MCAT very strange.

Yes, some of the topics on the physical science section were random but did that make it extremely difficult for other test takers?

I just don't think we all came to a consensus on which section was predom harder then other on our MCAT. Just interested in what others thought.

I really thought PS was the most difficult.

As in, I knew absolutely everything going into the exam (felt extremely prepared during AAMC PS), and then everything I was tested on, I hadn't studied before. (AKA I memorized the 30 or so formulas we needed and was tested on like 2 of them)

I would have to say the randomness made it difficult.

Verbal was pretty on par with AAMC I felt, but 2 passages had me going WTF

BS I thought was really easy.

Hey everyone !!!
wow !!! I just found this thread. I'm gonna agree with the majority. Physical Science was pretty difficult, at first I thought it was just me because I'm very terrible in physics.

I only applied to 5 schools ( financial reasons :( ), and I was thinking about adding some more depending on my mcat score. But I have submitted 2 secondaries, even though I know that it's most likely going to be put on hold until my mcat score. But at least I have submitted it.

Anyway....something for everyone to laugh at, while waiting for our scores.....
Basically at my family house, no day passes by without at least 1 discussion about mcat. Even my little brother, who is in high school ( 10th grade), had a dream that he took the mcat and his score were 13/15/14. But as he looked a little closer, he saw that the 3 section scores all had " divided by 2" underneath each of them. So it was like 6.5/7.5/7...... : ) I thought that was funny.

I've probably mentioned this before but since it's been brought up again, why not reminisce one more time...

I found that both PS and BS were trickier than usual in the sense that sometimes, none of the answer choices made any sense at all, particularly in BS and so you have this inclination towards an answer for some reason you can't really explain. A lot of the focus was on genetics and genetics on its own is a very sensitive topic in the sense that you have to pay close attention to the wording seeing as there can be many interpretations to one saying; kind of like a statement that says this, may imply this or that or both. I found this a bit tough because I've taken some advanced courses in genetics and genomics and so I'm always thinking in ways that can mess you up on the MCAT. Because things that the MCAT sometimes dismisses, are in fact, very possible under some circumstances. Anyway, as for PS, it was tricky because some of the topics and questions were fairly broad and so you had to incorporate some basic knowledge in ways that you are not used to. Verbal was verbal, although some passages were interesting to read, a couple kind of throw you off a little bit.

Anyway, all we can do at this point is hope for the best! Good luck to you all :)

Mel:luck:

well the good news is that time seems to help heal all wounds :) i have been a lot calmer about things recently, maybe because i've accepted that it is over now and there's nothing i can do except hope for the best.

maybe also because i've forgotten most of the exam by now. i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the curve is more generous than the AAMC!

i also have some applications on hold...wondering if i should just wait or submit them.

The wait is honestly worse than taking the exam. I agree though, I've stopped thinking about it so much as time has gone on.

Haha I hear you guys... I kinda just want to burry this whole, oh how shall I put it... "event" in the back of my mind and not have to take it out... not even to know the scores... LOL I got the opportunity to change sceneries after the MCAT and that was honestly the greatest thing ever because I did end up forgetting about it, ok not entirely but still... better than nothing.

Anyway peeps, let's turn this convo around... what is everyone currently up to at the moment??? Life post-MCAT... dish out the scoop! It's funny freedom tastes sweeter when you long for it and then once you have it, you don't quite know what to do with it, in the most part. Well, at least it's like that for me! (even though I still have a million of other things to do, I just subconsciously refuse to get to them)

I've been completing my secondaries and trying to get them out before scores come out so that my applications will be totally complete come sept. 8th!

ALSO, I AM STILL STUDYING for the Sept. 10th MCAT just in case I need to take it again. I felt confident on 8/6/09 but I am not messing around this cycle. 8/6/09 was my second time if I need to take it a third time I will be more then ready!!!! If I don't have to take it then I lost out on $200+ but its better then having to waste another year.

I took a week off after out MCAT so it hasn't been all work and no play but i've been staying on top of it.

Anybody applying to any DO schools? I know thats blasphemous to ask all you SDN over-achievers but I was just curious to see which ones people are targeting.

I've been completing my secondaries and trying to get them out before scores come out so that my applications will be totally complete come sept. 8th!

ALSO, I AM STILL STUDYING for the Sept. 10th MCAT just in case I need to take it again. I felt confident on 8/6/09 but I am not messing around this cycle. 8/6/09 was my second time if I need to take it a third time I will be more then ready!!!! If I don't have to take it then I lost out on $200+ but its better then having to waste another year.

I took a week off after out MCAT so it hasn't been all work and no play but i've been staying on top of it.

Anybody applying to any DO schools? I know thats blasphemous to ask all you SDN over-achievers but I was just curious to see which ones people are targeting.

I am, I am!!! :laugh:

It's definitely not blasphemous...the Osteopathic approach is legit. Good or bad MCAT score I'm still going to apply to Osteopathic Medical Schools.

It's definitely not blasphemous...the Osteopathic approach is legit. Good or bad MCAT score I'm still going to apply to Osteopathic Medical Schools.

I've asked peeps about Carrib or Osteo before and most people leaned towards Osteo ... What are good osteo schools that are Canadian friendly???

I've asked peeps about Carrib or Osteo before and most people leaned towards Osteo ... What are good osteo schools that are Canadian friendly???

Probably any DO schools that don't have a preference for in-state residents. I don't see you having a disadvantage just because your from Canada. You might want to do a search on this but personally I have never came across any information that would put Canadian residents at a disadvantage when applying to DO schools.

Funny you should mention - I just had an advising meeting on Monday at our local Children's Hospital with a DO that's considered to be one of the best pediatricians in this area. The whole thing has me VERY excited about the DO option. I was telling him how I volunteer in EMS, and of course get the opportunity to literally walk into people's lives (their homes) and see a lot of social aspects of their lives that often times have relevance to their HPI. (e.g. SOB patient who lives with 5 chain smokers and 19 cats) I get VERY frustrated though when I go to the ER and go to give turnover to a doc or nurse, and they could care less about the info on the social profile. He agreed that DO may be a much better fit for me.

As for what I've been up to... secondaries, mainly (and now the DO primary), and just took a full-time job as an ED Tech at a local hospital. I have orientation this Friday. Trying not to think about Sept. 8.

i'm back to kind of going psychotic again. need to not do that. will be interested in seeing the scores from the 7/30 and 7/31 takers.

also, all of this waiting has not motivated me to start doing secondaries. i'm having a hard time writing these things because i don't know my mcat score. i know it is stupid, but i'm having a hard time buckling down with this stuff.

at this point, i would literally give my vital organs for a good score. ugh. i just hope i didn't do worse than my AAMC average, i really was doing well on the practice tests. i will be SOOO disappointed if i did worse.

f&#k you AAMC and your dumb waiting for MCAT scores policy. i hate you!

I agree I am starting to get that antsy feeling as our score release date gets closer. Its been a weird emotional rollercoaster.

- Felt confident after the exam
- Starting looking up some stuff and realized I got some questions wrong (but these were the ones I was unsure of = handful, not a lot...so I guess thats ok then right?)
- Still felt confident after realizing those mistakes
- As we get closer im starting have this "doomed" kind of feeling.

Being that our MCAT was more difficult, in the science sections, then the AAMC ones...do you think the scoring scale will be more lenient in these sections???

I doubt that ours will be released any earlier than next Tuesday because of labor day. Hopefully early in the day on Tuesday though!

Well, you can always wish for a Friday night release. It won't matter to me, though. I'm going to be on vacation!

hmmm....if I'm getting this anxious waiting for the 7/30 & 7/31 scores, dunno how i'll be able to stand next week. ridiculous.

hmmm....if I'm getting this anxious waiting for the 7/30 & 7/31 scores, dunno how i'll be able to stand next week. ridiculous.

i know what you mean!! i keep waiting to see their scores, like that is going to somehow help me predict my own score. i am OUT of control right now.

thankfully i'm moving next monday, so maybe that will keep me pre-occupied, but tuesday is going to be hellish. i don't start work until the following week so maybe i will just try to sleep as long as possible and then start drinking as soon as i wake up.

i feel like this whole thing is a mind f@#k. they just do this for their own amusement.

As a 7/30 test taker, let me just say it sucks.

With each second my predicted score drops 1 point.

Haha lucky you!!! It'll be the beginning of the week which I am supposed to start classes in...:eek:

Haha I just edited in a new signature and now I realize that it's HUGE!! I guess that's what I get for not clicking on that "preview" button.

I am trying to figure out a way to predict my score for the 8/6/09 MCAT. For the sake of keeping it simple lets say I got 10 wrong in each section. According to the AAMC CBT 10 scale I would get a PS: 10 VR: 9 BS: 10 = 29

Since the current MCAT is even trickier is it logical to assume that the scale will be more lenient then this? Or since our PS section was the hardest section do think the scale will be more lenient in that section only?

Just looking for people's thoughts here.

For those who thinks you did poorly on the exam, lets play a little game with our MCAT scores. Let's post our well-thought-out predicted scores now. Then, when we get our actual scores next week, we post them while quoting our predicted post. I'm just thinking that many of us are probably way too antsy, and that we did better than we think.

Well, here goes my predicted (PS, VR, BS):

11/9/12

I agree I am starting to get that antsy feeling as our score release date gets closer. Its been a weird emotional rollercoaster.

- Felt confident after the exam
- Starting looking up some stuff and realized I got some questions wrong (but these were the ones I was unsure of = handful, not a lot...so I guess thats ok then right?)
- Still felt confident after realizing those mistakes
- As we get closer im starting have this "doomed" kind of feeling.

Being that our MCAT was more difficult, in the science sections, then the AAMC ones...do you think the scoring scale will be more lenient in these sections???

For those who thinks you did poorly on the exam, lets play a little game with our MCAT scores. Let's post our well-thought-out predicted scores now. Then, when we get our actual scores next week, we post them while quoting our predicted post. I'm just thinking that many of us are probably way too antsy, and that we did better than we think.

Well, here goes my predicted (PS, VR, BS):

11/9/12

I'm not even brave enough to do that!

mellymel, i'm with you! i don't want to jinx anything- in either direction. even though i know that is ridiculous, i'm running on superstition at the moment.

did you guys check out the scores from the 7/30 and 7/31 people? a lot of people seemed to get lower than they were expecting, which kind of frightens me.

i like it when people are like- my AAMC average was 32 and i got a 38! or "i felt really bad coming out of the exam, but wow was i surprised to see that i got a 42!"

i do NOT like seeing "4 points below my AAMC average" or "i got a 6 on VR when my lowest on the AAMC was a 9"

i'm never going to survive this thing!!!

Every person is different...perhaps on these summer tests the scale was more lenient for the lower scores (25-30) but was actually harder for those who were averting a 35 and above...I don't know it's just speculation. I just want a 30 but I don't see how it's possilbe if I was averging a 30 on the practice and this test did not feel like a 30 then How the heck could I pull it off ...argggghhh release
them now!

mellymel, i'm with you! i don't want to jinx anything- in either direction. even though i know that is ridiculous, i'm running on superstition at the moment.

did you guys check out the scores from the 7/30 and 7/31 people? a lot of people seemed to get lower than they were expecting, which kind of frightens me.

i like it when people are like- my AAMC average was 32 and i got a 38! or "i felt really bad coming out of the exam, but wow was i surprised to see that i got a 42!"

i do NOT like seeing "4 points below my AAMC average" or "i got a 6 on VR when my lowest on the AAMC was a 9"

i'm never going to survive this thing!!!

yes, i agree! i just read through everyone's posts in those threads, and now i'm jumping out of my pants. i just decided to take the plunge and apply this year and hope for the best, submitted all my secondaries during this waiting period, and waiting for my AACOMAS to process.

6 more days, hang in there everyone!!! :scared: