The official 08/06/2009 MCAT CLUB!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mellymel09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just noticed that there is no official club for the August 6th MCAT'ers so I've decided to create one! I hope that everyone's studying is coming along great. I'm actually re-doing my MCAT for the second time around (I wrote it last summer for the first time and sadly didn't do as well as I'd hoped). I plan on dedicating this month to content review and then hopefully spending the last two months prior to my exam on practice exams/problems. Has anyone here ever taken the test more than once? If so, did you improve and how did you re-study strategically? Also, by how many points can one expect to realistically improve???

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading the 7/30 7/31 threads like they were ours. I can't believe our scores are the next ones to come out, even though I feel like we've been waiting forever. Just think, a week from right now, we will all know! Hopefully being busy this next week will keep me sane. Good luck with the next 6 days everyone.

honestly, im miffed about sept 8th, although im ready to see my results...but i just don't know if i look forward to that day :D .

haha thankfully ive been pretty busy so I've avoided obsessing about the scores to much but it really has felt like its been ages since I took the test...to be honest...come next tuesday, i probably won't even want to look at my scores (i felt ok after i took the test) but its easy to doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys check out the scores from the 7/30 and 7/31 people? a lot of people seemed to get lower than they were expecting, which kind of frightens me.

i do NOT like seeing "4 points below my AAMC average" or "i got a 6 on VR when my lowest on the AAMC was a 9"

Yeah, usually I'm surprised by how well everybody's done on SDN with regards to the their expectations/averages, so I was also kind of freaked out when reading the 7/30 & 7/31 threads...They did well, but there weren't that many super sappy success stories...ooo, alliteration :D

Every person is different...perhaps on the july 30th/31st summer tests the scale was more lenient for the lower scores (25-30) but was actually harder for those who were averaging a 35 and above...I don't know it's just speculation. I just want a 30 but I don't see how it's possible if I was averging a 30 on the practice and this test did not feel like a 30 then How the heck could I pull it off ...argggghhh release them now!

Hahahahaha I agree with you guys, I was obsessively checking the 07/30 thread yesterday like it was my own... I even had the gitters and this antzy feeling crawling up inside of me! I dunno how I'm gonna survive Sep 8th but I've just tried not thinking about it... it's worked so far... but now you guys are starting to get me thinkin' about it again... Thanks ALOT!:p

if you look at the poll for whether students scored below, around the same, or above their AAMC avg compared to the real MCAT...a lot more people have scored around or above their AAMC avg then below it.

so that seems like promising news...I am just worried about my verbal score!!! Its the reason I retook it again this time around...I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE verbal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had my first MCAT nightmare last night...4/9/11...A 4 IN PS! IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? but later, I "woke up" in my dream, and on the far right margin of my score report there was a new set of scores along the lines of 13.75/14.25/13.2...very odd. not kidding about the decimals either.

what did you guys think of the bio?

my aamcs are around 32-37.......but the real test was so much harder i felt. so i hope i dont end up with a 20.

im scared. it's really hit or miss ...who knows what the verdict's gonna be.:confused:

my aamcs are around 32-37.......but the real test was so much harder i felt. so i hope i dont end up with a 20.

im scared. it's really hit or miss ...who knows what the verdict's gonna be.:confused:

Tasil - I feel exactly the same way! My stomach turns every time I think about the exam. But you have to remember that at this point, it is not within our control. We just have to wait, and stay sane in the process! Good luck!

May 2009 8/12/Q/10

Really hoping my PS came up this time. Felt like I really phoned in the verbal. 45 minutes in VR I was considering a physics problem in my head and realized the test was still going on. Finished the last 3 passages in about 13 minutes. Felt good about the rest though.

I'm going on vacation to drink my face off until Tuesday, advise the same for all of you! Good luck

I also thought the bio was really hard ... harder than the PS or VS. I know some people have been saying they thought it was really easy, but what about others??

Good luck guys, 5 more days!! :cool:

phew, to you guys that responded to my post, i am so relieved that there were/are others out there that agreed that bio was pretty damn hard. i remember going to the forum pretty soon after finishing the exam ( dont ask me why) and reading how many ppl thought bio was super easy. imo it def wasnt, and i am a lil disheartened considering that my aamc bio scores were ALWAYS the highest of the bunch. i really dont feel theres any way the 8/6 exam could produce the same results for me at least.

sigh. :(

at least im done with the MD secondaries. . . except for the 4 essay uconn one!

=o

Members don't see this ad :)
Same my average on aamc was a 30.1 and my average on kaplan was a 33 so I know what a 30 feels like and this exam did not feel like a 30 it was just too hard...I think I got my 10 in bio still verbal I might have even gotten higher than my average 8 but I don't see getting anywhere close to 12 in ps it was just so random..I hope I get a 30 thts all I want....lol. Everyone I speak to is like enough you're going to get it but I don't see how. I'm going to go buy that batman game and just play it all weekend cause I have very little work and I want my body to be doing something even if my mind is still on mcat score lol

I thought some of (not all) of the orgo questions were pretty tricky...u either knew it or u didnt. The orgo passages were easy to understand but they basically had nothing to do with answering the questions (thats how I felt)...

all the orgo questions felt like discretes...u really just had to recall on things you taught yourself and that was it.

i remember feeling the the PS was the hardest section for me, the bio itself was easy, but i guessed a LOT with the orgo. was kind of disappointed to see 3 orgo passages. boo to that.

this waiting is the worst! i am just praying that i do as well as my AAMC.

has anyone lowered their standards since they took the exam. going into the exam, i was hoping for a 37 or better (my AAMC average). now i'm hoping for a 35, but bracing myself for 30, and trying not to imagine something out of control, like 6 on VR or something.

has anyone lowered their standards since they took the exam. going into the exam, i was hoping for a 37 or better (my AAMC average). now i'm hoping for a 35, but bracing myself for 30, and trying not to imagine something out of control, like 6 on VR or something.

ummm...absolutely :(. My expectations have slowly diminished as the month's gone by. I felt pretty good after the exam, but now I'm almost resigned to taking it again in January. very strange... hopefully not though

dudes and dudettes of 8/06, i'm not sure i can take it anymore!!!
no seriously. i'm starting to go mentally insane.

omggggggggggg- someone help me. i think the only answer to this might be tequila and cookies.

i just hate thinking about doing badly on this stupid thing, because i worked SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard and felt super prepared.

i am supposed to be moving this weekend from LA to NYC, which you would think would keep my mind off of things.

have i packed? no
do i care? no
have i spent hours a day perusing SDN for some magical algorithm to determine with perfect accuracy what my score will be? yes

maybe i should call miss cleo the psychic. do you think she can tell me my score?

in conclusion: i am losing my mind. that is all.

PS. one (large) margarita and a lot of deep thought later, i've decided that if i do really badly on the MCAT, i am going to move to thailand and become a scuba instructor. forever. and never do anything useful in the world.

i hate that i'm on west coast time and no one else is obsessive enough to be on the forums at this time of night.

le sigh. this is my post-MCAT mental breakdown. pathetic.

:D stay strong! here's the truth, you did just fine. I've had my fair share of spazzing out within the last month. But with time, I learned the value of patience.

the one thing I have done to keep my mind off things is to finish my secondary applications...mailed 7 out today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still worried about verbal though....screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu VRRRR!!!

PS. one (large) margarita and a lot of deep thought later, i've decided that if i do really badly on the MCAT, i am going to move to thailand and become a scuba instructor. forever. and never do anything useful in the world.

i hate that i'm on west coast time and no one else is obsessive enough to be on the forums at this time of night.

moving from la to nyc eh? how come?

Lol theprettygirl... who said scuba diving isn't useful for the world?! ;) I seriously thought about taking up lessons, it's always been one of my dreams to dive in big blue seas!!! But on a serious note, try and not think about the Test, and this may be hard, but self-discipline yourself to NOT thinking about it. E.g. force yourself to stay away from SDN (I know this may sound like blasphemous talk) but it's true... sometimes, the best thing you can do is to just AVOID the forums which only feed your anguish. I think you should go out and enjoy some good LA beaches n' sun, before you go to NYC which is trendy and glamy but brrrr cold in the winters (though not as cold as where I am...:cool:)

Good luck and I really hope you get the score you are hoping for!

Mel:luck:

so...MCAT scores leaked out for the 8/6/09 date

mines were

14 PS/13 VR/15 BS - 42 overall

SIIIIIIIKE!!! :laugh:

i hope that doesn't come back to haunt me. so much for wishful thinking

i meant to cheer you up

however, on-related topic what score would make you happy? highest possible? do you have a specific range?

Last edited:
so...MCAT scores leaked out for the 8/6/09 date

mines were

14 PS/13 VR/15 BS - 42 overall

SIIIIIIIKE!!! :laugh:

i hope that doesn't come back to haunt me. so much for wishful thinking

i meant to cheer you up

however, on-related topic what score would make you happy? highest possible? do you have a specific range?

Haha when I read that first line I had this mixed feeling of anxiety (it's too soon and I haven't mentally prepared for receiving the scores yet) along with frustration (I was like "what a troll!") so yeah, wasn't sure whether or not I thought it was true and whether or not I wanted it to be true... but I s'pose everyone needed to "untwist their knickers" and loosen up :laugh:

I am still not gonna think about anything relating to scores as I am deeply terrified of the mere thought pertaining to the latter and therefore I'm trying to forget this whole thing and dismiss it as a dream that occured a long long long LONG ASS time ago! It's one of those things that just feels like a done deal that you can't change so there really is no point in putting too much thought and energy into it.

haha i don't know if everyone here has tried those "relaxation" tapes, but part of the lessons involve tensing up muscles for 5 seconds and then relaxing them...i figured if i used your brain muscles for a second, i could help everyone loosen up a little bit. aaanyway, good luck to all!!! next time i post something it'll probably be my score. im going to be pretty busy this weekend.

When do you think they were done with grading our test completely? My guess is around Aug. 21st. So right now our scores are sitting in some fat guy's computer while he is playing DOOM and listening to "Rock the Casbah."

When do you think they were done with grading our test completely? My guess is around Aug. 21st. So right now our scores are sitting in some fat guy's computer while he is playing DOOM and listening to "Rock the Casbah."

they were prob done the sec we pressed submit lol

blarg, i feel so doomed right now. i feel a panic attack everytime i think about scores coming out so soon. anyone thinking about designating someone else to check their score for them? i do really want to know, but not...

blarg, i feel so doomed right now. i feel a panic attack everytime i think about scores coming out so soon. anyone thinking about designating someone else to check their score for them? i do really want to know, but not...

:laugh: Great idea! I never thought about that. I'm toooo young to have a heart attack...

I know this seems funny to ask...however, who used this time to finally learn the value of patience? Because that's what I challenged myself to do...and I think I succeeded. There were a few times when I felt the urge to know what I got and worried myself to death. But then I reminded myself each time that it's life's great lesson to learn patience...Just think when I have kids or co-workers?? Patience is important. Who else here challenged themselves, knowingly or unknowingly?

I know this seems funny to ask...however, who used this time to finally learn the value of patience? Because that's what I challenged myself to do...and I think I succeeded. There were a few times when I felt the urge to know what I got and worried myself to death. But then I reminded myself each time that it's life's great lesson to learn patience...Just think when I have kids or co-workers?? Patience is important. Who else here challenged themselves, knowingly or unknowingly?

Everyone keeps telling me it is too late to apply. I have started to become religious you know. I pray to God, begging for mercy and forgiveness. I say,if I get a good MCAT score, I will dedicate my life to helping others, and not buying a 8000 square foot home until I have helped a lot of people!!

:laugh: Great idea! I never thought about that. I'm toooo young to have a heart attack...

gah, same here. i think im going to ask my fiance to check for me. unfortunately, he's in dc for a business trip and wont' be back till 11pm tuesday. so speaking of learning patience, here it comes :scared:

this is driving me crazy! I was counting on this thread to keep me sane/occupied, but not one's posting! haha...:eek:

I wouldn't be able to let someone else check my score. I would be too embarrassed that I received a low grade and they saw it. Plus I would hate to give them the burden of telling me how I did, if I did bad.

yeah this thread is annoying because no one really posts that much...but thats what you get when you take an off peak time MCAT in early August...most people have taken their MCAT by then!

What does everyone think the curve will be like for the three sections?

- PS: Im thinking the curve will be most generous on the PS section
- VR: Standard AAMC curve for verbal (hopefully not has strict as AAMC 10)
- BS: A little more generous then the AAMC CBTs but significantly less generous than PS

Lol... is anyone NOT worried about their score? I hope I'm not the only one... hahhah is that abnormal? hahh

you're not concerned at all? i had a total freak-out a few days ago, but i think now i'm just trying to stay cool and hope for the best.

i guess the world won't end if i did badly, although i will be extremely depressed.

i just feel like there are very things i've wanted so badly in life than an awesome MCAT score. i worked like a beast, and i want it to pay off.

thankfully i'll be on a plane all day tomorrow, so now i just need to think of something to do on tuesday ;)

Less than 48 hours...

WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I hate countdowns (except New Years and other fun events!) lol Ready, Set, NOT YET. lol when is everyone gonna start checking on tuesday? I think it's after 5 pm but it seems that the trend lately is that they release them even later like 9-10 pm Eastern time. I think I'll check around that time in order to avoid anxious fusiness in case they are not posted before then.

I plan to start checking after imbibing copious amounts of alcohol. Hopefully I'll still be able to operate a computer.

you're not concerned at all? i had a total freak-out a few days ago, but i think now i'm just trying to stay cool and hope for the best.

i guess the world won't end if i did badly, although i will be extremely depressed.

i just feel like there are very things i've wanted so badly in life than an awesome MCAT score. i worked like a beast, and i want it to pay off.

thankfully i'll be on a plane all day tomorrow, so now i just need to think of something to do on tuesday ;)

Of course I'm concerned, but not nearly enough to stress about it. There are other things that keep me busy and stressed. I don't let post-MCAT blues add to that barely manageable stress load.

Plus, even if I get a low score that would make MD schools reject me, then I'll try DO schools. If DO schools reject me, then I'll try the Carribean schools, and if Carribean schools reject me then... you get the point.

to the previous poster: If you are willing to go to the Carribean, then don't worry, everyone gets in at the Carribean. So if you really want to be a doctor, you will be one.
Im kind of worried. I mean I studied for the test, but not as intensely as everyone else (on these forums). I got 30's and 31's on the practice tests, and somehow always got a raw score of 112!!!(any theory behind this?) I kind of thought that studying really hard may back fire. This is my take, if I don't break a 30 tomorrow, then I am retaking in January. Any thoughts?

to the previous poster: If you are willing to go to the Carribean, then don't worry, everyone gets in at the Carribean. So if you really want to be a doctor, you will be one.
Im kind of worried. I mean I studied for the test, but not as intensely as everyone else (on these forums). I got 30's and 31's on the practice tests, and somehow always got a raw score of 112!!!(any theory behind this?) I kind of thought that studying really hard may back fire. This is my take, if I don't break a 30 tomorrow, then I am retaking in January. Any thoughts?

Sure, retake if you get below 30, but study harder next time. I didn't study particularly hard compared to many people on this board, but I studied hard for myself. I see no reason why studying hard could hurt you unless you did it right up until test time and didn't ever get enough sleep or leave yourself time for any leisure activities.

I know it's Labor Day, but do you think there's any chance of them coming out early?? Regardless, I'll be checking all day...

I know it's Labor Day, but do you think there's any chance of them coming out early?? Regardless, I'll be checking all day...

Its not going to happen because no one is at the mcat office right now. Just kick back and relax. I am checking my score tomorrow at 10pm, so I don't get all anxed up the whole day saying "Why haven't they posted the scores?"

Not gonna lie, I've already been checking today - but I'm pretty sure there's no hope the scores will come out today. I definitely will be checking every 30 mins tomorrow, starting from the time I wake up...:D

what are everybody's feelings about the curve for the different sections of the exam? Anybody care about those? I think the curve will be most generous for the PS section. Anybody else have anyother thoughts????????????