The Official 08/21/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wussok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I know it's early and most people who are writing the MCAT on this day are waiting for exams to finish before they even think MCAT. But, there must be people who are writing it on this day on SDN. Let's share study strategies and motivate eachother :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote the 2 pm exam, scores are posted.

34S
PS 11/ VR 10/ BS 13.

Surprising tho, I was more confident after PS than BS, VR was always a toss up in AAMCs so I'll take it haha.....had no idea I knew how to write essays lol

Dead on the mark of my AAMC average.

Yeah me too. I thought PS was easy and BS left me feeling uneasy....went the opposite way though.

Thank God.

I got what I was hoping for, particularly in the writing. I didn't finish my second essay and thought there was no hope for a Q, but I got a Q. Thank God.

BS - 12
PS - 11
VR - 11
WS - Q

I honestly felt best about the PS when I wrote. I thought I could have even gotten a 13.After that section I was like "this MCAT isn't so bad now is it?". LOL Jumpman, you were so right.

I thought VR was decent, thought I could have had a 12, but the margin of error for VR is so small. I got around what I was scoring when practicing (10-11)

BS I was really worried about. I thought it was the hardest out of the three sections, but I ended up doing the best there..surprising.

I hope everyone is satisfied with their scores.

Haha crazy MCAT...never know what to expect except the unexpected :laugh:

I am new here! Just got my score, PS 8 BS 10 VR 12 total 30 P. I am a Canadian applying just to schools here. Do you think I need to retake?

Members don't see this ad :)
BS - 11
PS - 12
VR - 11
WS - Q

34Q. This is above average for almost all the schools I am applying to. Hopefully, I will get some interviews. I am glad it's over.

Not to sound like George Bush, but MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. :laugh:

Congrats to all with the great scores. Those of you that did not score as good as you have hoped for, take it again. MCAT is just a test which, in my opinion, does not say anything about how smart you are or how good of a physician you will be.

Ps - 14
vr - 12
bs - 13
39N

Hey guys I am very happy with my score but I was wondering if an N in writing will look bad. I know there is a little uncertainty about how much the writing matters but hopefully it won't bring down my overall score

For the people reading this thread and did not do as well as you would have liked don't get discouraged. Remember that people are way more likely to post on here if they do well than if they don't. Even more, people are likely to exaggerate to somehow make themselves feel better on an anonymous forum. So, remember this is not a representative group!!!

For those that have to re-take, if you study it will come! Try new methods and practice a lot. I know this from experience, 3rd time was the charm for me.

For those that got 7s. I would recommend from personal experience that you do not apply, at least to MD schools. I did this and it did not work out well. People do get in with a 7, but it is rare. For example, my state school said less than 5% of their accepted students got a 7 on a section, and many schools have a cut-off at 8 (look at the MSAR).

Just some advice I wish someone would have told me before I applied.
What if you got a 15 7 15 for a total score of 7. I'm pretty sure they will let that 7 slide.

Ps - 14
vr - 12
bs - 13
39N

Hey guys I am very happy with my score but I was wondering if an N in writing will look bad. I know there is a little uncertainty about how much the writing matters but hopefully it won't bring down my overall score

I got 39N as well and was wondering about the same thing? I defiantly think it would be pretty disadvantageous comparing to other 36-41 range who gets R/S for writing.

And I had 39 average for my AAMC test I am jealous of those of you who scored above average lol x.x

For the people reading this thread and did not do as well as you would have liked don't get discouraged. Remember that people are way more likely to post on here if they do well than if they don't. Even more, people are likely to exaggerate to somehow make themselves feel better on an anonymous forum. So, remember this is not a representative group!!!

For those that have to re-take, if you study it will come! Try new methods and practice a lot. I know this from experience, 3rd time was the charm for me.

For those that got 7s. I would recommend from personal experience that you do not apply, at least to MD schools. I did this and it did not work out well. People do get in with a 7, but it is rare. For example, my state school said less than 5% of their accepted students got a 7 on a section, and many schools have a cut-off at 8 (look at the MSAR).

Just some advice I wish someone would have told me before I applied.

Couldn't agree more.... A 31 is in the 85th percentile (in other words, only 15% do better than this), and i seem like an idiot compared to all the people posting their scores on here with my 31

Congrats on all those who did really well on their MCAT.
I got a 36 but it seems that everyone is doing better than me. LOL
But I am assuming that only the best of the best are posting on SDN. Because in my score report it says I ranked on the 97.5 %. Sure doesn't seem like it in this thread.

Congrats on all those who did really well on their MCAT.
I got a 36 but it seems that everyone is doing better than me. LOL
But I am assuming that only the best of the best are posting on SDN. Because in my score report it says I ranked on the 97.5 %. Sure doesn't seem like it in this thread.

i thought a lot more people took this exam. where are you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I took the Aug 21 MCAT, just got my score back today: 31Q (13,8,10). I already sent in my primary AMCAS and it has been approved.
My GPA is 3.66.

Should I go ahead and send in my secondaries at this point (13 schools in the east coast, all with average acceptance MCAT of 30-31)? Is it too late? I would love to get in somewhere in the 2010 cycle!

Congrats on all the great scores everyone!

As someone waiting for my results, did anyone still do pretty well despite knowing for sure after the exam that they missed 1 or 2 questions in a section? (of course not counting questions that they were unsure of/may have missed)

Ps - 14
vr - 12
bs - 13
39N

I have a friend who got a very similar score. Adcoms asked about it. Just be prepared to admit you're not a good writer.

I'm way too nervous to check right now. I'll check later after I go to the gym and run to calm my nerves. All I know is that I better not get another 28 otherwise my MD application is cooked. :mad:

What a nightmare.
12 PS 8 VR 10 BS = 30Q
and I'm Canadian, applying to OMSAS. What schools should I even bother applying to this cycle?

Last edited:
Hey man, congrats. I'm glad He came through for you. :D

Thanks ratatat! I love their music btw. Looks like we have very similar numerical scores ;) I'm totally going to take it though. It's what I wanted...a balanced, reasonably high score. This opens up queens, western and dalhousie!

ah ****... PS 11, VR 8, BS 11.

now wait for it.... WS....M

30M

I am in Canada. Does this mean I have to retake? I will most likely be applying to UBC and Calgary. I am probably counted out for the Ontariario schools.

aah, damn. that 8 could hurt. U of T may still take ya cos you're on the cusp. You need to bring up the VR and WS scores to be considered for queens and western. For western ppl say 10/10/10 Q and queens is approx 11/11/11 Q. Calgary will still consider you b/c of their weighting formula. I have no Idea about UBC. RMB, all you need is one acceptance. My friend has never written the mcats and she applied to a non mcat school, and got in! The only one she applied to! So don't worry and keep your head up.

in my excitement about my score, i think i violated the sdn decorum, but here i am making up for it: congrats to everyone who did well, and it looks many of you did, and good luck on the next attempt for those who didn't

and dont worry ezsanche, 36 is still great.

OH.MY.GOD.

11/11/10 - 32R

I was so sure I failed. Admittedly BS could've used some more work, but still, I can die happy now. j/k :laugh:

A lot of good scores from other as well. Congrats all!

Btw, I just want an opinion. Should I retake? I mean, my GPA is in the 3.1 -3.2 range, and I feel like this MCAT score isn't really up to par to pull the weight tbh.
You are good for DO schools... You will still be a physician

OH.MY.GOD.

11/11/10 - 32R

I was so sure I failed. Admittedly BS could've used some more work, but still, I can die happy now. j/k :laugh:

A lot of good scores from other as well. Congrats all!

Btw, I just want an opinion. Should I retake? I mean, my GPA is in the 3.1 -3.2 range, and I feel like this MCAT score isn't really up to par to pull the weight tbh.

You're perfect for an SMP. I would suggest that if you're set on MD.

Do they tell you how many you get wrong in each section when you get your scores?

I am new here! Just got my score, PS 8 BS 10 VR 12 total 30 P. I am a Canadian applying just to schools here. Do you think I need to retake?

You look good for McMaster I have to say.

The P in the WS will likely rule out Western and Queens, and the 8 in PS is below the cutoffs for Toronto, Western and Queens. Bear in mind that Toronto's cutoffs are 'soft' so you have a chance to be considered if the rest of your application is competitive.

I'd probably roll the dice and apply for this cycle and see how it goes. a 12 in verbal is very good and could put you near the top at Mac.

for those of you that are applying this cycle, do you feel way behind or is it just me?!? Ive been working on my secondaries as Ive been goin along and Ive submitted 12 so far with about 6 more to go and 2 pending screening of my MCAT score, but sitting around and waiting for my score while all these other ppl are talkin bout interviews and what not is making me nervous, just wanted to see how everyone else was feeling.

Yeah, I feel behind, too. I was reading the Jefferson thread and a lot of them had interviews in August. Hopefully the new MCAT score was worth it!!

I got a 31 twice! is that gonna look ****ty? or will they be happy my verbal jumped up from an 8 to a 9, and my score is more balanced? I screwed up the biology because, like an idiot, I SKIPPED like 4 questions on accident!

Holy (*#(*%(*&!*&%!@&^#^&$!&^$!&% !!
40R!!!
13 PS
13 VR
14 BS

AAMC avg = 36!

So stoked!

Congrats to everybody who did as well as they wanted. Best of luck to everybody who is planning a retake. Don't let anybody tell you you can't achieve your dreams.

did anyone take the first mcat in april and take this one?

I got a 38S on my april mcat, however I got rejected to harvard and duke and had interview with john hopkins and figured I should retake it and resubmit my application (i scored a few 40s on my aamcs). But I didn't feel too comfortable and ended up not submitting my mcat for scoring with this test. Sucks, cause I got my john hopkins rejection letter earlier this week from my interview.

Wish I would of applied to more school and a backup not in the top10 :[

but i don't think I am going to retake my mcat, I need to build my gpa. for those that didn't do well, read the 30+ thread, I went from 31 to 38 in 6 weeks.

breathing a sigh of relief.....

30Q
10 VR
9 PS
11 BS

worse than my practice but better than my previous score which is no longer good of 28P so I will take it and run!!

did anyone take the first mcat in april and take this one?

I got a 38S on my april mcat, however I got rejected to harvard and duke and had interview with john hopkins and figured I should retake it and resubmit my application (i scored a few 40s on my aamcs). But I didn't feel too comfortable and ended up not submitting my mcat for scoring with this test. Sucks, cause I got my john hopkins rejection letter earlier this week from my interview.

Wish I would of applied to more school and a backup not in the top10 :[

but i don't think I am going to retake my mcat, I need to build my gpa. for those that didn't do well, read the 30+ thread, I went from 31 to 38 in 6 weeks.

With a 38S, I wouldn't risk a retake. That's amazing, man. Good luck in the next cycle.

This is by far the highest scoring thread lol we got like 6-7 39? and 4+ 40? lmao

Hiiiieee-For someone who can get 38 you sure lack in the department of logic and common sense. I wont even go into your school choice i think you already know how dumb that was.

If you get 38 improving to 43 isnt going to help you much despite the 5 point increase. It is clearly not MCAT that you have to worry about. BTW if you have 38 and retake here is what Med School is going to think: "wow what are fk douche bag, stats *****, other names" It is a NEGATIVE, this is told me by the dean of admission of a school

Ask mommy2three that is what she is doing

actually, my school here only takes the highest overall. other schools i was considering applying to said they only take most recent so i opted not to sit for sept 12th exam which i had been considering.

i had to retake because my score (aug 2006) was no longer valid for this application cycle....same goes for the april 2004 score i have.

in answer to the question though, you are best to call the schools you are most interested in and asking them their policy on retakes/multiple attempts. when i found out it would not help me at most here, and actually would hurt me at some if for some strange reason my score dropped, i opted to stick with what i had.

best wishes :)

Once your MCAT scores are released and are posted on AMCAS/AACOMAS..do you need to resubmit your application for the school to receive your new score (if you have already had your primary verfied)? Or will the schools automatically receive the scores once they appear on aMCAS/AACOMAS?
THANKS!

So about that writing section I have a strange question...

6/18/2009 My first MCAT, which went horribly (I was burnt out on life.:mad:) I got 8 VR 7 PS 10 BS and R for writing.

8/21/09 Took a vacation..came back went at it and now I am in better condition
10 VR 14 PS 12 BS and O for writing.

Now I have shown that I can write..but I obviosly did not care on the second one (Plus the essay questions were ******ed).

Anyone think this will be an issue for those upper tier schools?

6/18/2009 My first MCAT, which went horribly (I was burnt out on life.:mad:) I got 8 VR 7 PS 10 BS and R for writing.

Now I have shown that I can write..but I obviosly did not care on the second one (Plus the essay questions were ******ed).

From what I've read on SDN, it won't be an issue if your personal statement is stellar and your grades for humanities/social sciences classes are high. If you're applying to upper tier schools, you'll probably be more than good enough in those two categories to offset a weak writing score.

A few quick questions, if you don't mind answering...
Did you study in between the tests?
What was your original AAMC average ?
How did you feel after each test?

Thanks! (I'm in a similar situation)
And congrats, that's a great improvement :)

BS 10

VR 9

PS 9

28Q

GPA..3.84

What do my chances look like for schools like Temple, Penn State, Jefferson, Drexel, GWU?? Congrats to everyone!! you guys got some pretty sexy scores :thumbup: