The *OFFICIAL* 2006-2007 EM Match Interviews Offered Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BKN -

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to come on SDN and post some extremely helpful and calming information. You have been doing this on a regular basis and I am sure I speak for all of us MS III and IVs when I say thank you. I have a question for you Sir. I am an USIMG applicant with a subpar Step 1 score (79/194) and an average Step 2 score (88/217). While I understand that there is more to an applicant than his board scores, will I even get passed the initial screening process by most programs? Thank you again

CJ

This is just a guess. If you've done the most important thing (a rotation at an academic ED to obtain a good SLOR) and your transcript is otherwise fine, I think you'll get interviews. But I would always recommend that IMGs put in a lot of apps. And I have the impression that the New York programs are somewhat more liberal aobut this. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

BKN, you should be knighted! Such compassion for us EM hopefuls! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Georgetown, and Orlando

With or without doing rotations there? We should probably post this so the rest of us know who's really offering inteviews only based on ERAS apps.

With or without doing rotations there? We should probably post this so the rest of us know who's really offering inteviews only based on ERAS apps.

No rotations at either place. Application was mostly complete, just missing a letter.

If anyone has Qs about the U of Arizona holla. I just got put on the resident recruitment committee.

ain't got no ERAS love today.

waiting fo' some ERAS love.

where is the loooove......oohhh, where is the loooove....:confused: :confused:

Georgetown, and Orlando

may i ask when you applied (sept 1?) or if you are a super-fabulous candidate (I'm sure you are); I did not think Gtown would start this early!
sigh, no Gtown love for me

*deleted

covered in previous posts about relaxing, and not stressing out.

Finally submitted this morning and had my list at a magical 30 programs. Let's hope that will be more than enough! Fetus! I applied to U of Arizona...so give me the skinny. PM me or email me the 411 on the program to the address listed on my profile, whichever is easiest for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally submitted this morning and had my list at a magical 30 programs. Let's hope that will be more than enough! Fetus! I applied to U of Arizona...so give me the skinny. PM me or email me the 411 on the program to the address listed on my profile, whichever is easiest for you.

Dude.. email me at the school address i still use it. i havent looked at your app yet but if you end up getting an interview ill know.. i will tell you it is a tough tough place to get an interview they only interview about 5 people per spot.. other places do more like 10 or so..

09/21/06

Interview at Akron General in Ohio. No PS yet, only two LORs, obviously no dean's letter. I thought apps would have to be complete before interviews, but I'm not complaining.

submitted 9/16, with one LOR pending, and no rotation there, interview offer received today at Ohio State.

interview invite Columbus Regional Medical Center transitional year

Cooper University Hospital - UMDNJ (RWJ) is offering.

-K

Also just got an invite to Orlando, my first (and hopefully not my last).

Medical University of South Carolina
New York Methodist

both invites this week, Rotated at neither, have submitted PS and 2 LOR's, as well as CAF of course

Got an invite from Orlando...feeling FL love.

Sorry to crash this thread but I posted this in the MS4 thread and didn't get any response.
Does anyone know where to find information on what programs had open positions after the match last year? I figure there's a website somewhere with that info on it or maybe anyone who scrambled last year might remember?

Also just got an invite to Orlando, my first (and hopefully not my last).

If you got orlando and didnt rotate there you will have plenty of others. thats a pretty competetive program.

Sorry to crash this thread but I posted this in the MS4 thread and didn't get any response.
Does anyone know where to find information on what programs had open positions after the match last year? I figure there's a website somewhere with that info on it or maybe anyone who scrambled last year might remember?

I didnt scramble.. but I know Hopkins had one spot, a bunch of the NYC programs had spots and Drew/King had spots.. Veers can correct me but i think 6 out of the 28 or so spots were from there.

If they are really closing their program that tightens it up a bit. too early to worry.

UMDNJ- NJMS (newark) today. Getting Jersey love, where's everyone else?

UMDNJ- NJMS (newark) today. Getting Jersey love, where's everyone else?

It is mad early.. i didnt even submit until Sept 30th last yr.. worry not.. worry not..

congrats guys/girls :thumbup:
I haven't gotten any love yet.. :(
Wish my LOR would come in quicker...

First time posting! Got an interview invite from Vandy today:D

St. Vinny's Toledo OH today--wooohoo...2 OHIO INTERVIEWS :)

When would you guys recommend taking step 2 (last date) so that it will be taken into consideration during the interview and application process?

thanks!

blackbird, there are other forums that answer this question...do a search.

When would you guys recommend taking step 2 (last date) so that it will be taken into consideration during the interview and application process?

thanks!

Simple answer... Step 1 is good.. wait, if not then take it sooner..

What is good.... that is the real question..

I didnt scramble.. but I know Hopkins had one spot, a bunch of the NYC programs had spots and Drew/King had spots.. Veers can correct me but i think 6 out of the 28 or so spots were from there.

If they are really closing their program that tightens it up a bit. too early to worry.

Oh, Oh, I'm not worried! I'm type A and like to have all my ducks in a row. I just like to have my research done and so I'm not doing anything last minute.

BTW, My attending rotated at MLK (EM) and recently was back visitng and said there was big article mentioning the federal government money being pulled out. They had a bunch of violations and then a bunch more since then instead of fixing them and now all the residents are looking elsewhere. Of course, this is 2nd-3rd hand information. I want to make sure no one thinks I know what I'm talking about!:)
And. . . this isn't just the residency program. THe whole hospital is shutting down and possibly becoming a clinic?

Oh, Oh, I'm not worried! I'm type A and like to have all my ducks in a row. I just like to have my research done and so I'm not doing anything last minute.

BTW, My attending rotated at MLK (EM) and recently was back visitng and said there was big article mentioning the federal government money being pulled out. They had a bunch of violations and then a bunch more since then instead of fixing them and now all the residents are looking elsewhere. Of course, this is 2nd-3rd hand information. I want to make sure no one thinks I know what I'm talking about!:)
And. . . this isn't just the residency program. THe whole hospital is shutting down and possibly becoming a clinic?
General Veers who posts on here is a pgy-2... he lets us know whats up..

Simple answer... Step 1 is good.. wait, if not then take it sooner..
At University of Washington, they make us take our Step II (CK and CS) by Sept 30th or they threaten to say bad things about us in our dean's letter! So no matter how you did on Step I, your Step II scores and part of the game! (Glad mine worked out for the better).

bad policy IMO.. but its just my opinion...

Anyone whos coming manhattan way via SLR, feel free to pm me.

thanks!

For EM applicants it usually helps to have it, since most are clinicians and do a little to a lot better on step 2.

I must agree that you have a great track record here on SDN, BKN, but I gotta take issue with one thing you've said.

Even IMGs with marginal records should go for EM if that's what they want.

If you're an IMG with a marginal record you're going to have to apply to a bizillion programs, get great LORs, be prepared for lots of rejections. You may have to scramble, you may have to take a year off and reapply, you may even have to start with IM or surgery, but if you want EM you should do it.

If you want it, do it. Period. Whether you're the top of the class or the bottom, do what you love because you'll be doing it the rest of your life.

As for King-Drew: interview if you like, but don't rank it unless things change dramatically in the next few months.

I must agree that you have a great track record here on SDN, BKN, but I gotta take issue with one thing you've said.

Even IMGs with marginal records should go for EM if that's what they want.

If you're an IMG with a marginal record you're going to have to apply to a bizillion programs, get great LORs, be prepared for lots of rejections. You may have to scramble, you may have to take a year off and reapply, you may even have to start with IM or surgery, but if you want EM you should do it.

If you want it, do it. Period. Whether you're the top of the class or the bottom, do what you love because you'll be doing it the rest of your life.

As for King-Drew: interview if you like, but don't rank it unless things change dramatically in the next few months.

I'm confused, is this the post that you are taking issue with?

bkn said:
4. The IMGs among you clearly understand that you have it tougher and those with marginal records don't apply to EM. Those with a good record have a reasonable chance

If so, I didn't say that IMGs with marginal records shouldn't apply. Nor would I, I think everybody should go for what they want.

What I was trying to say is that I don't see IMGs apps very often that are really bad. I'm presuming that those guys and gals are applying to less competitive specialties.

I did get an interview friday, from a program that I did an away rotation at.

Congrats! What program?

Haha! My (EM) life story!

We just had an email sent out to all the residents today about interview season and where/how we wanted to take out the applicants. All of our interviews are on Wednesdays. I was less than impressed by the bar appetizers/beer selection we had for last year so my input that I wanted the program to give a full meal d*mn it.

Any input from this year's applicants what you would like? (I know it's early in the season...)

Several in the program have offered up guest rooms to interviewees to save on hotel fees as well. PM me if you are coming through the NC area.