The *OFFICIAL* 2006-2007 EM Match Interviews Offered Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got king/drew invite....not sure how I feel about it considering all the posts regarding whether or not it will even be around soon....but happy to have some cali love................

Members don't see this ad.

Got some Palmetto love via snail mail today:)

No love yet, boards just got uploaded, hoping that will help! At least no one else has interviews from any of the schools on my list yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Added two more programs today, OHSU and Case Western, recieved an invite from OHSU not too long after submitting. First invite so far and I'm pleased with that.

St. Vincent's in Toledo, OH yesterday.

Texas A&M Scott and White today.

Three so far! (Akron last week) :)

I am a FMG from Ross.
USMLE 1: 226/92
Usmle 2: 233/94

Applied to 70 ER programs, no rejections yet.....
Granted interviews at:
NY Methodist
North Shore Manhasset
UMDNJ-Newark
Allegheny EM/IM

Any questions, just PM me....

Got UAB and Vandy today. Waiting for some northeast and midwest love too. How is everyone planning on paying for all of this and how many interviews is not enough or too many? Want to compare with what I have heard.

GO GATORS

We just had an email sent out to all the residents today about interview season and where/how we wanted to take out the applicants. All of our interviews are on Wednesdays. I was less than impressed by the bar appetizers/beer selection we had for last year so my input that I wanted the program to give a full meal d*mn it.

Any input from this year's applicants what you would like? (I know it's early in the season...)

Several in the program have offered up guest rooms to interviewees to save on hotel fees as well. PM me if you are coming through the NC area.

I won't need a place to stay but vegetarian food please:D :D :D .

Just got:
Scott and White and St. John today.........finally some........

Got Baystate and U Arizona today

Anyone get any EM interviews anywhere in Michigan yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very new poster here...but got invites from Wright State, Ohio State, and Grand Rapids-MSU so far

New to this forum, wishing everyone good luck during this interview season. So far two interviews, Toledo and Grand Rapids. I am so glad this thread is going...it made me feel a lot better to hear which schools are giving interviews, so thanks for setting it up!!!:)

How you are peeps getting offers? By email? I'm bummed, nothing yet. Now some of my schools are sending out offers......but, prior to this afternoon I only had 1/4 letters uploaded....do most of you have complete applications now? What about Dean's letters and transcripts? Neither of these are up for me either.....I'll keep checking. :confused:

Akron General in Ohio

Hey peeps,
Got this email yesterday:

"Just wanted to let you know that December 7th interview date is now full. Please call as soon as possible to schedule your interview as my dates are filling up quickly.

Thank you
Ellen Renee Harr-Weatherby
Residency Program Coordinator"

When I talked to Ellen (after several busy signals) the Dec 13/14 dates were still open. Guess it's better to reschedule/cancel than to not have a spot!

BTW, can you guys still note if your app's are complete (ie, everything except dean's letter) when you got the interview offer? Thanks and good luck.

Hey peeps,
Got this email yesterday:

"Just wanted to let you know that December 7th interview date is now full. Please call as soon as possible to schedule your interview as my dates are filling up quickly.

Thank you
Ellen Renee Harr-Weatherby
Residency Program Coordinator"

When I talked to Ellen (after several busy signals) the Dec 13/14 dates were still open. Guess it's better to reschedule/cancel than to not have a spot!

BTW, can you guys still note if your app's are complete (ie, everything except dean's letter) when you got the interview offer? Thanks and good luck.

Yeah...that was me who took the last Dec 7th spot! Well, that is what Ellen told me anyway!

As for my apps...I've got everything in now except my transcript and Dean's letter. (Wright State didn't have anything in except my PS, scores, and CAF, before my interview offer if I remember correctly). I have 3 LORs but only one from an EM doc at this point...probably add another one before the end of this month.

Good Luck everybody!

Got my second interview today. So far I have St Vincents and York. Keep 'em coming.

Is it considered bad form to not accept an interview invite from a place you rotated through considering you realized you would not rank the program highly or be happy/thrive there?

Is it considered bad form to not accept an interview invite from a place you rotated through considering you realized you would not rank the program highly or be happy/thrive there?

You want to spend $300-600 not to hurt their feelings? You are very nice (or guilt-ridden). Their egos may not be that fragile. Send them a thank you note for the rotation and the interview offer but get blurry about the reasons you've decided to pursue elsewhere. Best guess is that they'll survive the blow. ;)

You want to spend $300-600 not to hurt their feelings? You are very nice (or guilt-ridden). Their egos may not be that fragile. Send them a thank you note for the rotation and the interview offer but get blurry about the reasons you've decided to pursue elsewhere. Best guess is that they'll survive the blow. ;)

That's all I wanted to hear.

U of Maryland invite and Downstate/Kings County today (and a prelim medicine at Lutheran in Chicago). I'm happy so far.

Got Brigham/MGH and UMass yesterday!

Kings County today...finally!

U of Maryland invite and Downstate/Kings County today (and a prelim medicine at Lutheran in Chicago). I'm happy so far.

E-mail or snail mail? Also, how complete is your application? Sorry for the personal questions but im gettin a little nervous of no interviews yet. I think it may be because I only have one letter. Also, did you get a chance to check your PM? I sent you one last week or so.

Arrowhead Regional Med center

I have a question. Can programs look at your photo before they decide to interview you? So, if I see that a program has downloaded my photo can I assume I have an interview there?

Apollyon said that they can't.
So now my question, in looking over my documents, I noticed a whole bunch of places have downloaded my photo in the last 2 days. Does this mean impending invites as Apollyon says?

Someone say yes please. It would make my weekend.

So now my question, in looking over my documents, I noticed a whole bunch of places have downloaded my photo in the last 2 days. Does this mean impending invites as Apollyon says?

Not so sure, some programs have downloaded everything for weeks - no invite.

From ERAS:
"Programs cannot view your photograph during their initial evaluation of your application. The photograph is not visible until you have been selected for interview."

Of course, they may be able to download, but not view the photos until they offer??? Otherwise, there may simply be a prolonged processing time after an applicant is selected for an interview. Either way, I'm sure your interviews are forthcoming :D

From ERAS:
"Programs cannot view your photograph during their initial evaluation of your application. The photograph is not visible until you have been selected for interview."

Of course, they may be able to download, but not view the photos until they offer??? Otherwise, there may simply be a prolonged processing time after an applicant is selected for an interview. Either way, I'm sure your interviews are forthcoming :D

I hope what you speak of is true. Cause basically every single program I applied to has downloaded my photo. So I have my doubts about the invites if they download your photo. We'll see and this may be something we can have as advice for next year's group.

I applied to 28 programs, and all but 2 downloaded my picture. As much as I'd love to believe this means I have 26 interviews, I suspect it really just means programs can download the pictures before granting interviews, even if they're not allowed to view them. Oh, and two places downloaded my application twice. What's the deal with that?

E-mail or snail mail? Also, how complete is your application? Sorry for the personal questions but im gettin a little nervous of no interviews yet. I think it may be because I only have one letter. Also, did you get a chance to check your PM? I sent you one last week or so.

Email. My application is pretty much complete except my dean's letter, although it's only been that way since tuesday. I have 3 SLORs in, but I'm still waiting for a non EM letter to be uploaded, but that may not matter much anyways. And yes, I did get your PM, I just haven't had a chance to fully respond. I had a bunch of shifts to work over the last week. I may not get a chance to until this weekend as I'm leaving NY tomorrow morning and am driving for 12+ hours. But worry not, I will respond.

Sorry to ruin your buzz. All it means when a program downloads a document is that a program has connected with the post office and downloaded all the mail to our server or computer. It doesn't mean we've looked at any of it. Thus as soon as I sign on, I get everything that has been posted to me including photos since the last time I did so.

Yes, we can't see the pictures until we select the candidates for interviews. I usually don't bother. I'll see them soon enough.

I am applying for EM with my significant other applying for OB/GYN. It seems that we keep getting interviews at opposite places. Do different programs within the same institution ever communicate with each other?

I am applying for EM with my significant other applying for OB/GYN. It seems that we keep getting interviews at opposite places. Do different programs within the same institution ever communicate with each other?

You've got to be kidding.:confused:

Seriously, you're going to have to make this happen. One approach is simply to apply to medical centers that are less competitive than your (plural) credentials justify.

The other approach is more complicated:

First, it's still early. Most of the interview offers in EM occur after the Dean's letters are posted on Nov 1. So the strategy I'm suggesting is put into play at the end of the first week in November if the problem persists.

Second, hopefully you both have mentors on your own campus who will help you. Ask them to make some calls for you to the PDs at key institutions or cities where one of you has an interview.

Example:

You have an interview at generic UMC, but your s.o. does not. She then asks her mentor to call the OB PD to recommend her and explain the situation. I'm pretty sure most would PDs would respond well.

Third, when you've used up your mentors' patience on the most desirable programs, you do the calls yourself. She's got an interview and you don't at Elsewhere General. You call the EM residency coordinator and make her your ally by talking with the PD. Or if you're really brave, do it yourself. If you do it yourself, you put the PD on the spot and he'll probably say yes to the interview. He might not like it though.

Finally, the hail mary pass. This is where the programs communicate. It's late and things aren't looking good for you. However, she's got a PD at Third Choice City who really wants her to match. She asks that PD to call the EM PD and beg for an interview for you and even a slot. This may work when one member of the couple is highly competitive and the other not or when one program or specialty is highly competitive and the other not. I think OB and EM are simlarly competitive and makes this strategy harder.

Anyway, good luck.

BKN for President, anyone else with me?:love:
Jamrock

Dude,
You poor SOB. I did this exact same thing last year. I applied in EM and My wife in OB/GYN.
it was really ruff. we had the same problem.
What we often did was, when one of us got an interview at a place we would call that program and tell them straight out what the deal was. We would just ask them if they have ever called the other department in the past and asked if they would take a look at the applicant and see if they could grant them an interview as a favor.
Sometimes it worked great and the other person would get an invite in a couple of days.
Other times they would say that they never do that.
This was actually good to know because it showed us how much the different programs work together. And so we could assess what it would be like to say, try to set up vacations together.

The other thing is that we applied in a ton of large cities with multiple programs (chicago, boston), this way if you dont get an interview at one program and you do in another and vise versa, at least you are still in the same city.

Let me warn you that you are not even in the hard part yet
Here is what you have to look forward to:
1. trying to set up interviews around the same time as to save money.
-advice-- abandon this theory early as it will drive you crazy, just take out two relocation loans

2. One person having a great interview at one place while the other hated it.
- it is going to happen, dont dwell on it, move on

3. One person getting a call back from a place you both like and the other person not getting a call back
-not getting a call back means nothing, all you can do is tell the program director or who ever is calling you back that you liked their program and anything they could do to help out your significant other would be much appreciated. If they are calling you back, they like you and will probably call the other department. It happened to us 6 times.

4. Making rank list
this is quite possibly the worst part. what we did is this: we each made two rank list. One was what we would rank if we where not couples matching, another was what we think would be best for both of us to rank.
This way when you see the others personal rank list you can realize what they want, and you also see what the other thinks you want.
Combining these to make a fair list is difficult. You dont want the other to feel hurt because when you match there and something goes wrong you are going to feel bad.
It is very F%$King complicated

Well good luck with alllll that.
I hope I did not make you soil yourself
lukin

If you got orlando and didnt rotate there you will have plenty of others. thats a pretty competetive program.

How exactly do you find out which programs are more competitive than others?? Do you just assume the bigger programs are more competitive?

Any resources out there on this topic?

Yes, we can't see the pictures until we select the candidates for interviews. I usually don't bother. I'll see them soon enough.

Even though applicants might not believe it (after seeing a few examples of the half-assed way some programs run things), it's true. The deal is that all a program would need to ruin their day is someone saying "Program X looked at my picture and didn't interview me because I'm morbidly obese/black/white/male/female/orthodox Jewish/facially tatooed/whatever..." - and, then, regardless of the truth, that program is marked.

The alternative is also creepy - if interview decisions were based on the picture, and there ARE freaky-deaky lecherous program directors (sorry BKN) that are that creepy.

U of Maryland (10/9). My first one! I'm stoked.

How exactly do you find out which programs are more competitive than others?? Do you just assume the bigger programs are more competitive?

Any resources out there on this topic?

Cause I applied last yr and you get a pretty good idea on whos competetive and who is less competetive.

University of Kentucky

Ok, now I'm freaking out a little, so I just need some reassurance (or a dose of brutal honesty, either way is good). So my applications have been in for a while (2 weeks maybe) and all I got so far is one transitional year interview. Now, I have 3 LORs in but I am still waiting on my SLOR. I thought (i.e. convinced myself) that programs don't give out interviews until you have a SLOR in. But the impression I am getting from other postings is that you don't need a SLOR to get interviews. I thought I would do ok as far as getting some interviews-- I have a very good step 2 a well written personal statement and have 3 strong LORs (although they are from Israel, one is ER and one is peds ER so I thought that would count for something). So, how much should I be worrying about this?
Thanks!

University of Kentucky and Texas El Paso today.