The Official 5/1/2010 MCAT Club...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaSpectacular

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let the games begin...

Members don't see this ad.

why don't you wait to see what you get on the exam first?!?...what if you come out getting like a 40! haha no but seriouisly, was it thattt hard? makes me nervous when people are prepared and don't do well:scared:

goodluck though i'm sure you will do better this time
ugh I wish I could. However I have a feeling that I missed way too many questions and I do not want to risk delaying my application any further cause I'm anticipating my score to be very lopsided. I understand ur reasoning however I doubt I reached a thirty with the questions I missed in the ps.

I'm getting worried... I had a few practice tests (GS 3-6 and TBR 6-7) that showed consistently good results which really encouraged me ... but GS 7-9 just went DOWNHILL (mostly the PS section - soo many more calculations that I can't get through on the spot)

I think I'm going to go through the problems in my NOVA physics book again.. preparing myself for a calculation heavy PS section based on 4/10 feedback
Honestly be prepared for anything. It was a great shock and the questions were extremely vague

So, I'm definately needing a confidence boost. After a few of the AAMC's, my scores were really starting to look good. Now, I'm bombing these bad boys. Especially AAMC 10 which kicked my butt this past weekend. Sure hope something changes over the next 3 weeks (ie Divine Intervention).

So, I'm definately needing a confidence boost. After a few of the AAMC's, my scores were really starting to look good. Now, I'm bombing these bad boys. Especially AAMC 10 which kicked my butt this past weekend. Sure hope something changes over the next 3 weeks (ie Divine Intervention).

do you have any more FL left? i would space them out, review the old ones and figure out where ur weak

Members don't see this ad :)
my main problem isnt the rushing thing though, its the fact that i cannot grasp the main idea, and the authors tone on each of the paragraphs....anyone have advice for that?

Are you using the Kaplan strategies at all? When you talk about the author's tone on each paragraph, I think of Kaplan. I pretty much abandoned all Kaplan strategies.. they just didn't work for me. Trying to come up a main idea/tone for each paragraph distracted me while reading the paragraph and took me away from seeing the passage as a whole.

I realize being so close to our test date makes the idea of completely changing your strategy very unattractive but maybe if you're secure in the sciences and can devote some practice to verbal every day, you can experiment a bit w/ your strategy. Taking the passage in as a complete thought as opposed to attempting to analyze each paragraph separately really helped me.

I'm trying to help and feel like I'm failing miserably :thumbdown:... can anyone else who actually approaches the verbal section the way baller does chime in with suggestions?

Last edited:

I've heard pretty consistently that AAMC 10 is really hard pretty much for no good reason and shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of how you'll do on the real thing. Don't let it get you down! :)

I've heard pretty consistently that AAMC 10 is really hard pretty much for no good reason and shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of how you'll do on the real thing. Don't let it get you down! :)

Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but AAMC 10 should be one of the easier ones. It's the last one that TPR has you take in their course, so that's the one they want you to show "improvement" on.

To find author's tone, imagine the author were a friend of yours. Imagine they want to communicate with you. If they wrote the passage for you, it is only natural that you will hear their voice. More communication. Less decoding like a puzzle master looking through a window. For example, think of how irony works in everyday communication. Irony doesn't come across unless the listener identifies with the speaker. Read at the pace of speech and hear the voice of the author. Try to picture that person. Picture a tweedy fellow with a hole in his sock. Imagine your friend had given you a set of essays to proof before sending them to a magazine or journal. Trick yourself into giving a crap. Involve yourself. You are the intended audience. If you don't understand, nobody every will. Then you will.

Are you using the Kaplan strategies at all? When you talk about the author's tone on each paragraph, I think of Kaplan. I pretty much abandoned all Kaplan strategies.. they just didn't work for me. Trying to come up a main idea/tone for each paragraph distracted me while reading the paragraph and took me away from seeing the passage as a whole.

I realize being so close to our test date makes the idea of completely changing your strategy very unattractive but maybe if you're secure in the sciences and can devote some practice to verbal every day, you can experiment a bit w/ your strategy. Taking the passage in as a complete thought as opposed to attempting to analyze each paragraph separately really helped me.

I'm trying to help and feel like I'm failing miserably :thumbdown:... can anyone else who actually approaches the verbal section the way baller does chime in with suggestions?

To find author's tone, imagine the author were a friend of yours. Imagine they want to communicate with you. If they wrote the passage for you, it is only natural that you will hear their voice. More communication. Less decoding like a puzzle master looking through a window. For example, think of how irony works in everyday communication. Irony doesn't come across unless the listener identifies with the speaker. Read at the pace of speech and hear the voice of the author. Try to picture that person. Picture a tweedy fellow with a hole in his sock. Imagine your friend had given you a set of essays to proof before sending them to a magazine or journal. Trick yourself into giving a crap. Involve yourself. You are the intended audience. If you don't understand, nobody every will. Then you will.

its not kaplans strategy. i started out using TPR strategy...ditched that and went to EK strategy

the EK worked for me, but i was spending too much time with the questions, so i had to read more quickly and make a pseudo-EK strategy with me reading faster to spend more time with the questions and going back to the passages if i had to

we will see how that works tomorrow, i'm going to take AAMC#5 lets hope for the best on this one!

hows everyone elses practice tests going?

T-18 daysss!!!

hows everyone elses practice tests going?

I'm going to be honest in that my practice tests haven't been great. I've taken three now and have gotten in the mid 20s on each (highest a 26). I tend to make some stupid mistakes and got thrown off on many of the calculations in AAMC #5. My main problem is verbal. I consistently get 9 or 10 on PS and Bio, but my verbal ranges about 6....not good. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost freaking myself out before the verbal section. I do well when I can just relax and read at a normal pace. We'll see how that goes on the next AAMC. I'm shooting for a 28 for the actual exam which is very doable.

Everyone else in this forum seems to be getting in the 30s on their practice tests. Congrats to you guys. I was ashamed to post my scores, but I hope others in my position won't be afraid to talk about it. Good luck to everyone in the next couple weeks!

-Cale

I got a 36 on AAMC 4, a 32 on AAMC 5 (stupid mistakes) and I am saving the rest of the AAMCs for the last two weeks, hopefully to get my confidence up going into the test.

As of now, I have been taking the TBR full lengths every other day, and they are pretty hard. I don't know why but I keep getting 32s on them, and this is kinda making me feel like maybe im just a 32 kinda guy, and perhaps the 36 was a fluke. I don't think this is the case because I know the sciences very very well. I guess we'll see in the last two weeks.

Anyone else think the TBR FLs are harder than AAMC?

I got a 36 on AAMC 4, a 32 on AAMC 5 (stupid mistakes) and I am saving the rest of the AAMCs for the last two weeks, hopefully to get my confidence up going into the test.

As of now, I have been taking the TBR full lengths every other day, and they are pretty hard. I don't know why but I keep getting 32s on them, and this is kinda making me feel like maybe im just a 32 kinda guy, and perhaps the 36 was a fluke. I don't think this is the case because I know the sciences very very well. I guess we'll see in the last two weeks.

Maybe no harder, perhaps just lower quality. I found that I would disagree with some of the answers on TPR tests and would get 29-32 scores. With AAMC tests 9, 10 and 6 I've gotten 35, 38 and 39. From this point on until the test I would not do any problems or tests that are not official MCAT questions. You want to really drill down on the internal logic of their way of thinking.

If you got a 36 once you can do it again. There is a lot of luck in the 33-40 range. Just a little push and you could bust out with a big score.

I'm going to be honest in that my practice tests haven't been great. I've taken three now and have gotten in the mid 20s on each (highest a 26). I tend to make some stupid mistakes and got thrown off on many of the calculations in AAMC #5. My main problem is verbal. I consistently get 9 or 10 on PS and Bio, but my verbal ranges about 6....not good. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost freaking myself out before the verbal section. I do well when I can just relax and read at a normal pace. We'll see how that goes on the next AAMC. I'm shooting for a 28 for the actual exam which is very doable.

Everyone else in this forum seems to be getting in the 30s on their practice tests. Congrats to you guys. I was ashamed to post my scores, but I hope others in my position won't be afraid to talk about it. Good luck to everyone in the next couple weeks!

-Cale

dont be ashamed man...my first practice test i got a 19!. so its always possible to improve...this is a place where we can all vent and talk about our problems, hoping somehow some lightbulb can go off and make us do better haha

T-17.5!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

-Cale
Don't be afraid to post your scores man. Highest I've pulled is aa 27 on aamc 8. Just keep pushing ull get there! On a side note does anyone else feel guilty when they take a day off? Today was the first anniversary of my 23rd birthday and I didn't look at any mcat stuff. I thought about it every second but didn't look at anything lol

Don't be afraid to post your scores man. Highest I've pulled is aa 27 on aamc 8. Just keep pushing ull get there! On a side note does anyone else feel guilty when they take a day off? Today was the first anniversary of my 23rd birthday and I didn't look at any mcat stuff. I thought about it every second but didn't look at anything lol

loll first anniversary. my 21st was last week i took a full 2 days off hahaha but it was actually a good thing it got me motivated to study harder when i went back

another test, another FAILURE in verbal (8)

i don't know what to doooo, maybe i should just give up on verbal and just try to get 14s on sciences to make up for it lol

On a side note does anyone else feel guilty when they take a day off? Today was the first anniversary of my 23rd birthday and I didn't look at any mcat stuff. I thought about it every second but didn't look at anything lol

I've taken 2 days off at different times (and it wasn't even my birthday!) lol When I get to the point where I'm having trouble even convincing myself to open a book, I know it's time to just take a break and so I do. It allows me to refocus and come back at it the next day. :thumbup:

White coat and big baller
I know what you mean. I feel more motivated today I thin its a mix of guilt that I took thye day off and fear of the test date approaching. Also on verbal. Its a bitch man. Keep plugging along and start using ek strategy. If u haven't yet purchase the 1001 book. I've been averaging between eight and nines consistantly. It sux and its everyones achilles heal.

White coat and big baller
I know what you mean. I feel more motivated today I thin its a mix of guilt that I took thye day off and fear of the test date approaching. Also on verbal. Its a bitch man. Keep plugging along and start using ek strategy. If u haven't yet purchase the 1001 book. I've been averaging between eight and nines consistantly. It sux and its everyones achilles heal.

yeah the day off is great it really gets you back in the MOOD of the mcat (if thats even possible? lol)

but on a side note, i took another EK101 test today and got my score back higher where i want it (11) which was a relief because it was really starting to depress me.

Cannot believe its almost 2 weeks away!!! im excited but scared and for some reason more calm than i was 3 weeks ago haha LETS KEEP PUSHING THROUGH GUYS ITS TIME FOR THE 2 WEEK LOCKDOWN (if you havent already been on lockdown haha)

yeah the day off is great it really gets you back in the MOOD of the mcat (if thats even possible? lol)

but on a side note, i took another EK101 test today and got my score back higher where i want it (11) which was a relief because it was really starting to depress me.

Cannot believe its almost 2 weeks away!!! im excited but scared and for some reason more calm than i was 3 weeks ago haha LETS KEEP PUSHING THROUGH GUYS ITS TIME FOR THE 2 WEEK LOCKDOWN (if you havent already been on lockdown haha)

Hey guys! Well, my date is only 2 days away, but I thought I'd stop by to give you guys some encouragement. These next two weeks are crucial for you guys. I know personally, the past two weeks for me were probably the most productive of my past 6 months studying for the MCAT and this is the time for you guys to really get all the concepts hammered down. Go through everything over the next two weeks - First week go through all of your weaknesses and make sure you turn them into strengths (don't skip over anything). The second weak, reinforce what you learned the first week but go over your strengths to make sure that you definitely won't get any of those questions wrong on the real deal.

Gather all your prep materials and go through everything at an accelerated rate - don't leave it 'til 3 or 4 days left!

Anyways, good luck everyone! I'm sure you guys will make the most of these two weeks and crush the MCAT! :)

Got a 37 on AAMC 6 today! 13 12 12.....FINALLY did well on verbal. I guess the other 36 wasn't a fluke. I really needed this for my confidence. Those TBR FL's were getting me down. I still have to take TBR 6 and 7 though and I hope that I do not do terribly on those. Anyone else taking TBR tests along with AAMC??

Got a 37 on AAMC 6 today! 13 12 12.....FINALLY did well on verbal. I guess the other 36 wasn't a fluke. I really needed this for my confidence. Those TBR FL's were getting me down. I still have to take TBR 6 and 7 though and I hope that I do not do terribly on those. Anyone else taking TBR tests along with AAMC??

I gotta 37 on AAMC 6 today too! My last two TBR's were between 32 and 36.. the ones before fluctuated between mid-20s and low 30s.

I have taken the AAMCs before (almost 2 years ago) but I am not considering my scores inflated since I definitely didn't remember any answers... I actually thought I did pretty poorly on VR and BS but then was pleasantly surprised :)

Yeah I know, I thought I got destroyed on BS but I got a 12. I felt pretty good about the VR though. It was a breath of fresh air to finally read passages that weren't as ridiculous as the TBR verbal sections.

BTW What was with that passage with 1 question on BS?! That threw me off. But I made a good choice and skipped it until the end, I ran outta time so I just guessed on it.

Yeah I know, I thought I got destroyed on BS but I got a 12. I felt pretty good about the VR though. It was a breath of fresh air to finally read passages that weren't as ridiculous as the TBR verbal sections.

BTW What was with that passage with 1 question on BS?! That threw me off. But I made a good choice and skipped it until the end, I ran outta time so I just guessed on it.

The VR started out well for me but I had trouble with the last two passages...

and yeh on BS that single Q passage was random!

congrats on that 37 man thats a great score!! keep it up for 2 more weeks ahaha

im going to take aamc#6 tomorrow, so hopefully i can be back speaking about it like you guys....except that verbal i doubt i will be anywhere near a 12, or double digits for that matter....

congrats on that 37 man thats a great score!! keep it up for 2 more weeks ahaha

im going to take aamc#6 tomorrow, so hopefully i can be back speaking about it like you guys....except that verbal i doubt i will be anywhere near a 12, or double digits for that matter....

Dude keep your head up with the verbal. I was doing pretty poorly but I just kind of turned on a switch in my head and got confident. Today I made myself be excited and looking forward to verbal as if I have been averaging 13s on it. Just go in confident like I did today. I was getting 10s and sometimes 9. And once I got an 8 on TBR FL on the verbal section, but that was because their passages are crap and one required you to do a lot of math. After doing the awful TBR passages, the AAMC ones seem like cake. Maybe they were actually helpful in a unintentional way lol. Good luck tomorrow, I'll be taking TBR #6 tomorrow

FINALLY did well on a TBR full length today. I took TBR 6 and got a 35 (12 11 12) and I finally am getting confident when it comes to verbal, and it is paying off. I was usually scoring 32s so this jump is really encouraging. Hopefully I can maintain or improve this going into May 1st.

speak of the devil, just yesterday i was talking about how ****ty my verbal was and i got a 10 FINALLLLYYYYYYYYY a double digit number in that middle score lol

overall, my sciences went down though, same overall score

did anyone else think that the AAMC6 sciences were way harder than AAMC5? do the tests consistently get harder?

FINALLY did well on a TBR full length today. I took TBR 6 and got a 35 (12 11 12) and I finally am getting confident when it comes to verbal, and it is paying off. I was usually scoring 32s so this jump is really encouraging. Hopefully I can maintain or improve this going into May 1st.

congrats on your score btw

speak of the devil, just yesterday i was talking about how ****ty my verbal was and i got a 10 FINALLLLYYYYYYYYY a double digit number in that middle score lol

did anyone else think that the AAMC6 sciences were way harder than AAMC5? do the tests consistently get harder?

Well, AAMC 6 was my highest practice test (37) and AAMC 5 was my lowest (32). I do not think there is a relationship between the number of the AAMC and its difficulty. Every MCAT is going to be easier or harder for different people because everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. As far as AAMC 6 is concerned, I felt like the PS was not bad at all and I thought the BS was pretty difficult. But that's just me.

Congrats on the 10!

.... And yes I agree BS section of AAMC 6 was difficult I had a lot of trouble with that one

I'm taking it in by section, but timed. My little one doesn't really allow for taking all the sections in succession. That said, I just took PS. I got a 15!!!! I only got 2 questions wrong. OMFG!

I'm taking it in by section, but timed. My little one doesn't really allow for taking all the sections in succession. That said, I just took PS. I got a 15!!!! I only got 2 questions wrong. OMFG!

lol that's awesome!

You guys were right. The BS section was total BS! OMFG. Yeah, I still need to review o-chem mechanisms. Most of the questions I got wrong were related to O-chem, not bio.

15/11/11. I would be overjoyed with that score! I was one question shy of a 14 in Bio on the last AAMC I took, and I got a 9 in PS on that because my kid was an animal. I would love to take a practice test where I did that well on both science sections, but I'm not complaining. I'm also scoring 11's on verbal pretty consistently. I suppose I need to start grinding through the EK 101 book I bought. I'm totally happy with an 11, but it's a little annoying to not see any improvement, but I need more practice.

You guys were right. The BS section was total BS! OMFG. Yeah, I still need to review o-chem mechanisms. Most of the questions I got wrong were related to O-chem, not bio.

15/11/11. I would be overjoyed with that score! I was one question shy of a 14 in Bio on the last AAMC I took, and I got a 9 in PS on that because my kid was an animal. I would love to take a practice test where I did that well on both science sections, but I'm not complaining. I'm also scoring 11's on verbal pretty consistently. I suppose I need to start grinding through the EK 101 book I bought. I'm totally happy with an 11, but it's a little annoying to not see any improvement, but I need more practice.

HOLY S!@T lol a 15 for PS wow thats really good haha congrats!

Taking AAMC 7 tomorrow morning I'm nervous :p

im taking aamc7 tomorrow too, lets both get that 45 ;) ...or at least let me get another double digit verbal and a pair of 13s for the sciences and i'll be happy lol

Last edited:
For other 5/1ers who may be discouraged by the high scores that are being posted.. don't worry, you aren't based on other 5/1/10 test takers. Rather, your score will be measured on a predetermined scale based on previous test takers.

But congratulations to you all on the improvement, hard work is paying off! Meanwhile my AAMC scores have been going down, consistently.. : )

I'm going to try taking a 5-hr energy during my practice test tomorrow, see if I can improve my time. I have limited my caffeine during practice tests thus far.

Anyone else experimenting with caffeine?

For other 5/1ers who may be discouraged by the high scores that are being posted.. don't worry, you aren't based on other 5/1/10 test takers. Rather, your score will be measured on a predetermined scale based on previous test takers.

But congratulations to you all on the improvement, hard work is paying off! Meanwhile my AAMC scores have been going down, consistently.. : )

I'm going to try taking a 5-hr energy during my practice test tomorrow, see if I can improve my time. I have limited my caffeine during practice tests thus far.

i was really going to try that tomorrow! haha i actually think i might try it if i get a chance wow thats really funny i was thinking about it this morning if i should give it a try...have u used it before? if so, what did you think?

lol I'm scared it'll give me jitters.. for now I just drink coffee every morning which is already a step up since I've always been a tea gal

12 days guys. Keep up the good work and finish strong. We're almost done with this bad boy.

I'm just getting the biggest cup of coffee Dunkin' offers on the way to the test center, along with a sausage egg and cheese on a bagel for breakfast.

eek... verbal on AAMC 7 was difficult! score went down since last AAMC by a few points

I really believe that confidence is a HUGE factor in doing well in verbal. After I turned a switch on in my head about verbal, I have been doing soooo much better. I suggest that everyone convince themselves that they love verbal and that they will dominate, it works for me.

Took my last TBR full length today and got 36 (13, 12, 11)....I used to get 9s and 10s in verbal but since I started having a much better attitude I have been getting 12s. Hopefully this continues on my last 4 AAMC full lengths, you want to have good momentum going into May 1.

Yeh I noticed with verbal that majority of the time, when I second guess myself, I had the right answer the first time. I'm trying to train myself to go with my gut feeling... to just select the answer and MOVE ON